COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
NHS warning of 60,000 deaths from the flu this winter if take-up of the flu jab falls short of expectations.

Just let that sink in.

That's almost half as many that succumbed to Covid in the UK over the last 21 months.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-flu-jabs-amid-warnings-of-up-to-60000-deaths

Spoke to an old friend who does statistics at a mid-level for the NHS.

He says:

a) 60,000 is the upper estimate and about as likely to come to pass as the lower estimate of 15,000.

b) (and I quote) 'It's a stab in the dark really, but the papers wanted figures to run with'.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Spoke to an old friend who does statistics at a mid-level for the NHS.

He says:

a) 60,000 is the upper estimate and about as likely to come to pass as the lower estimate of 15,000.

b) (and I quote) 'It's a stab in the dark really, but the papers wanted figures to run with'.
I've long since given up paying regard to statistics, either forecast or otherwise, whatever their source. Mostly without fail , figures are never backed up by details of calculation, and often are put forward to support an agenda. Yet we are supposed to blindly accept.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
They believe that immunity has weakened during COVID. Interesting that. TY for the link.
Yep interesting . I would have guessed that immunity problem would have been counterbalanced by the fact that people are still not mixing as much as before and a proportion are still wearing masks when out and about.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I've long since given up paying regard to statistics, either forecast or otherwise, whatever their source. Mostly without fail , figures are never backed up by details of calculation, and often are put forward to support an agenda. Yet we are supposed to blindly accept.
69% of statistics are made up on the spot.

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger
Reaction score
Got a shock the other day (this post could be in one of several threads) - was in my local pub talking to the landlady and another regular and happened to mention that I had seen Graham (a local farmer who was another old customer and long time acquaintance) in the local Co-op two weeks before and said he didn't look at all well, the two of them stared at me and said they weren't surprised he didn't look well as he died of Covid four weeks ago!

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Got a shock the other day (this post could be in one of several threads) - was in my local pub talking to the landlady and another regular and happened to mention that I had seen Graham (a local farmer who was another old customer and long time acquaintance) in the local Co-op two weeks before and said he didn't look at all well, the two of them stared at me and said they weren't surprised he didn't look well as he died of Covid four weeks ago!
So who DID you see?:litg:

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Following on from my post #4799 of 20th September 2021:

Having missed out on a friend's birthday to minimise any chance of catchng Covid ahead of a training course, I remain Covid free, and passed my vocational exams.

No idea if they will lead to a better job, but had to try.

Again I have had to plan ahead, and will miss a friend's wedding this weekend, in order to minimise my chances of catching Covid ahead of a family event next week.

Not a happy or easy decision to make, but I decided to put family first.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I remain Covid free, and passed my vocational exams.
640x640.jpg

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score

Having missed out on a friend's birthday to minimise any chance of catchng Covid ahead of a training course, I remain Covid free, and passed my vocational exams.

Again I have had to plan ahead, and will miss a friend's wedding this weekend, in order to minimise my chances of catching Covid ahead of a family event next week.

Congratulations Victory! I hope new career opportunities will open up for you.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Things going better in Korea now.

Vaccination programme has expanded further and we've been hitting every target days or weeks early; it seems that while a lot of people talk about being hesitant about vaccination, when push comes to shove, they almost always opt to get one—we're now more vaccinated by capita than the U.S. and Israel and it's finally being reflected in the daily figures for cases/serious illness/death.

Daily cases for the past few weeks (the figure least affected by vaccination) shows that distancing rules plus masks and vaccines can control the Delta variant.

Government has relaxed some limits on assemblies of people today.

FBs2Ci7UUAEgcWY.png

Rappinghood

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Coming out the other side.
I was furloughed for a year and as a single parent that was hard. Went back to work in March but had a nagging feeling something just wasn't right. I've had both jabs but I can't afford to get sick.
We've lived without support for three years, hundreds of miles away from family and if I ended up in hospital with Covid (or anything else) then my kids would likely need emergency care.

So I've got a new job and am relocating to be near family and friends. The extreme isolation during the worst of lockdown really took its toll and I put everything into making sure the children were OK. They came out fine, me not so much.

Time to go home.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

Congrats!

snoopydancing.gif

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
So I've got a new job and am relocating to be near family and friends. The extreme isolation during the worst of lockdown really took its toll and I put everything into making sure the children were OK. They came out fine, me not so much.

Time to go home.
Well done on getting a new job Rappinghood! Wishing you all the best the best for the move and that things will be much easier for you from now on. :)

My heart goes out to all single parents having to cope with all this. I'm in my 70's living on my own but however hard I find it I just need to look at posts from a couple of my facebook friends who are in the same position as you to get things in perspective.

This forum saves my sanity, a refuge to pop into whenever I like/need :)

Sollywos x

Rappinghood

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Well done on getting a new job Rappinghood! Wishing you all the best the best for the move and that things will be much easier for you from now on. :)

My heart goes out to all single parents having to cope with all this. I'm in my 70's living on my own but however hard I find it I just need to look at posts from a couple of my facebook friends who are in the same position as you to get things in perspective.

This forum saves my sanity, a refuge to pop into whenever I like/need :)

Sollywos x
Thank you.

Hopefully we'll be happy after we move.

I felt my health was getting worse due to stress, having support will mean so much uo us.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The In-House GP was hesitant to get both flu and Covid booster jabs at the same time because he is a side sleeper - cannot sleep on his back (although the number of times I've poked him to make him roll over and stop snoring suggests that is not entirely true!), and thus must have an arm pain-free upon which to lie. However, he was given his Covid booster in the surgery at some point last week, and reported no symptoms from it. He hasn't been told when he's likely to be given the flu jab.

My dad (86) has been called up for both jabs in different places at different times. He is dithering about the booster. I've told him not to be daft and to book it up pronto.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Had both yesterday, one in each arm, did feel a bit unwell
after aching joints and just not wanting to do a lot, not
terrible but just a bit off, fine today would not hesitate to do again.
:omr:

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Former Secretary of State Colin Powell dies at 84.

Fully vaccinated and scheduled to get his booster this week dies from covid.

Having cancer in the past it is possible his immune system was weak.

His wife Alma recovered from a covid infection.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Former Secretary of State Colin Powell dies at 84.

Fully vaccinated and scheduled to get his booster this week dies from covid.

Having cancer in the past it is possible his immune system was weak.

His wife Alma recovered from a covid infection.
He died from complications arising from covid19, which could mean anything really, he was old, he had a pre existing medical condition and the vaccines are not 100% effective, but still the anti vaxxers will probably jump all over this.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Not Covid, but complaint. I have a sh.... cold. Contracted from coworkers who have germy kids. They caught colds from their kids and since the kids were tested (negative), they didn't test. But they still came to work :dunno:.

I was 99% sure that I have a cold, but felt that I should be tested just in case. I'd been to a funeral (fully masked) , a family thanksgiving dinner of 10 people (no masking, but everyone fully vaxxed and venue was outdoors and distancing protocol followed), and had two dentist visits. All of this within a week.

So I got tested. It's wonderful to have a stick shoved up your already congested nose. And, yes, it's only a crappy fall time cold. Yeah school is back.