COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
American news report UK doctors in a panic as covid cases hit 50,000 a day.

UK doctors want to go back to covid restrictions.

I thought the UK was OK and that is why restrictions were lifted ?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

This is probably happening because a lot of people have stopped taking any precautions.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score

The thing that’s been a success in the UK is the vaccine rollout. Cases/deaths/hospitalisations started to decrease as a result, with lockdowns assisting. We had largest percentage of people vaccinated for a while until fairly recently - we’ve now fallen behind several other countries & for some reason are not doing so well.

Add on the recent opening up of business etc & we’re now in the position of letting it run in the population again, which is what our government originally wanted to do back at the start in March 2020 until events forced their hand, & numbers etc are increasing. Few people wear masks. The only difference is most people have had the vaccine which affords some protection. However, there’s doubt over how long it’s effective, hence booster dose which is being talked about but seems slow in becoming available. I don’t know anyone who’s had one.

It needs saying again that we have [I think] the highest per capita death rate in the world & [probably] the highest monetary borrowing.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I know several people who have had their third jab in the UK...all over age 70.

@Analogue Boy is right, the schools went back early September.

Also, sports stadia are full again, the London Underground is crowded, and even though mask wearing on there is mandatory, I would put the mask wearing figure at 65% of passengers average from what I saw when travelling on it in September.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
We still have mandatory masking in Ontario. Some of the provinces had discontinued the mandate, but now are returning to it because of resurgence.

I think I will be masking for sometime even if the mandate is removed.

Currently Ontario is experiencing low case rates. However, increases in numbers of illnesses and hospitalizations in other provinces has made it necessary for patients to be transported to Ontario hospitals.

Healthcare workers have been dealing with overwork and staffing shortages for the past (coming up to) two years. A doctor recently told me that Ontario has seen a 15% decrease in nursing staff due to people leaving the field. In my small area alone, 8 doctors have retired (mine included) in the past year. We have had a GP shortage since mid '90s.

Burnout is taking a huge toll on healthcare workers. Do I blame anyone for quitting? Not at all. Having to care for people who are really sick, being in fear of contracting the virus from daily contact, having to deal with anti-vax and conspiracy protesters who decided that healthcare workers are open targets for abuse and assault - who the f*** ever signed up for that?

We have only been lucky that another virus hasn't developed in the two years that people have been arguing about what the virus is and how it should be managed.

We are lucky that this virus wasn't as deadly as SARS. That virus only receded because it wasn't as contractable. Canada had one of the highest rates of SARS in the world and it wasn't even prepared for this one. There are many healthcare workers who worked during SARS epidemic and who now are trying to work through this one.

Enough said. Rant over.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
We still have mandatory masking in Ontario. Some of the provinces had discontinued the mandate, but now are returning to it because of resurgence.

I think I will be masking for sometime even if the mandate is removed.

Currently Ontario is experiencing low case rates. However, increases in numbers of illnesses and hospitalizations in other provinces has made it necessary for patients to be transported to Ontario hospitals.

Healthcare workers have been dealing with overwork and staffing shortages for the past (coming up to) two years. A doctor recently told me that Ontario has seen a 15% decrease in nursing staff due to people leaving the field. In my small area alone, 8 doctors have retired (mine included) in the past year. We have had a GP shortage since mid '90s.

Burnout is taking a huge toll on healthcare workers. Do I blame anyone for quitting? Not at all. Having to care for people who are really sick, being in fear of contracting the virus from daily contact, having to deal with anti-vax and conspiracy protesters who decided that healthcare workers are open targets for abuse and assault - who the f*** ever signed up for that?

We have only been lucky that another virus hasn't developed in the two years that people have been arguing about what the virus is and how it should be managed.

We are lucky that this virus wasn't as deadly as SARS. That virus only receded because it wasn't as contractable. Canada had one of the highest rates of SARS in the world and it wasn't even prepared for this one. There are many healthcare workers who worked during SARS epidemic and who now are trying to work through this one.

Enough said. Rant over.

Rant part 2.

Yeah, we think staffing is a problem now, it's going to be apocalyptic in 10 years. Take Nursing - poor pay, long hours, the risk of contracting the virus, making an error due to fatigue that will see you destroyed in a coroner's inquiry. A few years ago you could talk people to stay on for a few years after retirement - that's not going to happen anymore.

Why would anyone want to join that profession?

A famous football manager who has just been sacked from Newcastle United spoke at how awful, (he was right), the fans and press have been and the effect it's had on his family. Well, at least he's walking away with 7 million in his pocket.

The verbal and physical threats nurses get are just considered part of the job. Injuries sustained by health workers through assault are only going to get worse and they can and do finish careers.

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
No long after I received my booster jab (No.2) of the Astra Zeneca vaccine, my feet were 'vibrating' or flitting between that and numb. Now it seems that's been added as a very rare side effect from Astra Zeneca. It could just be a coincidence of course but according to this link and others, I need to make an appointment with my GP because it can be curable. This is the first time I've been diagnosed with nerve damage ..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/me...cognise-the-symptoms/ar-AAPP1Mi?ocid=msedgntp

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
No long after I received my booster jab (No.2) of the Astra Zeneca vaccine, my feet were 'vibrating' or flitting between that and numb. Now it seems that's been added as a very rare side effect from Astra Zeneca. It could just be a coincidence of course but according to this link and others, I need to make an appointment with my GP because it can be curable. This is the first time I've been diagnosed with nerve damage ..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/me...cognise-the-symptoms/ar-AAPP1Mi?ocid=msedgntp
Eek that does not sound good Swifty. Hope they sort it for you.

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Reaction score
My GP is still sick it seems, hasn't heard from him in nearly two months. Long COVID perhaps.

As it gets colder outside, the number of cases are now increasing to between 600 to 900 every day in Norway. Won't be surprised if mask mandate will be introduced on public transport and in stores again.

Last edited:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
1635330195332.png

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Reaction score
Things are ok in my neck of the woods in Indiana....there are some problems in a few cities due to various anti vaxxer groups.
But we are open for buisness and masks are optional here. About half wear them in group settings . I wear mine inside grocery stores , in groups ,etc ...as needed.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On the London Underground last night for first trip out in a month.

My estimate was that 25% of passengers wore masks.

I think this was lower than in a normal evening, because there are lot of non-Londoner British people visiting London during half-term week who might not have been aware of mass wearing guidelines on London public transport.

They are usually easy enough to spot, no one thing in itself gives them away, because many British people from outside London have moved to London to live and work, but a combination of different haircuts, minor differences in clothing styles, some difference in facial features and of course accents provide the clues.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My sister and her husband have gone to stay in their holiday cottage in the South of France.
Sis had a bit of a cold and did a covid test when she got there (test kit supplied by her employer - she is a teaching assistant).
Covid test was positive! :(
I'm hoping it was a false positive and they'll both be OK. They're now stuck over there with no heating system in the house, to make things worse.
At least they're not too ill at the moment. Sis says it feels no worse than a cold.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
My sister and her husband have gone to stay in their holiday cottage in the South of France.
Sis had a bit of a cold and did a covid test when she got there (test kit supplied by her employer - she is a teaching assistant).
Covid test was positive! :(
I'm hoping it was a false positive and they'll both be OK. They're now stuck over there with no heating system in the house, to make things worse.
At least they're not too ill at the moment. Sis says it feels no worse than a cold.
Hope she's feeling better soon. Hopefully she packed the woollens.

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score
Hooray! I finally got my covid booster here in the US. I had the Moderna vaccine, parts one and two. Only last week were Moderna recipients approved to get a booster. I got the Pfizer booster due to a scheduling mistake at the pharmacy, as it wasn’t allowed at the time I scheduled, but allowed by the time I showed up for the appointment. I wanted to mix up my covid innoculations anyway as I suspect they are better at training my immune system.

So right now I feel like I have the flu and it is wonderful! Hooray!

Swifty

Reaction score
Hooray! I finally got my covid booster here in the US. I had the Moderna vaccine, parts one and two. Only last week were Moderna recipients approved to get a booster. I got the Pfizer booster due to a scheduling mistake at the pharmacy, as it wasn’t allowed at the time I scheduled, but allowed by the time I showed up for the appointment. I wanted to mix up my covid innoculations anyway as I suspect they are better at training my immune system.

So right now I feel like I have the flu and it is wonderful! Hooray!
I'm hoping my third booster will be different using the same logic ..

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My wife got her Moderna booster from the same group of student nurses I had.

My wife said the same thing I said, they looked so young.

As a side note they did give a lady a lot of time who complained she was nauseous after her first Pfizer shots, but became better after downing a Coke-Cola they gave her.

Gizmos Mama

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score

I hope you heard back about this, Swifty?

I'm a bit concerned about my 2nd shot of Pfizer. I'm hearing some reports of problems being caused if either 1st or 2nd shot (of either mRNA vaccine) is inadvertently injected into a vein instead of the muscle. Heart inflammation in mice has been reported in a recent study (which I can't find right now). Heart inflammation, fatigue, joint pain and menstrual issues in women have been reported in humans.

Neither of my shots were aspirated (plunger of syringe pulled back to check for blood) to ensure intramuscular injection, they just poked and pushed.

Directly after my second shot on July 11, I felt a coldness flow down my arm, and had a severe reaction 24 hrs after. (40 C fever, aches, chills, sore arm, so bad had trouble putting on my shirt, painfully swollen lymph in my armpit for days). After that, I felt fine. Maybe a bit tired.

Sept 6, feeling good. Camping (solo) for the long weekend. No problems. Sept 10, start having an ache in my knee. By Sept 12 I could hardly walk due to joint pain in my knee and hip. I didn't get a test at that time, because I didn't feel sick otherwise, and do have bad knees, so thought I just tweaked it somehow.

However, there is no swelling or pain to the touch like you would expect if I had tweaked it enough to be so long lasting and painfull. I am still dealing with almost constant discomfort in my leg. I am now also constantly fatigued. On days when I have energy and do stuff, I pay for the next three days with being so tired and sore I can't do anything. :( I am having some of the other symptoms too. The pain in my leg is less now, after some massages, but still lingers and can be easily triggered by even light activity, flaring up into agony.

I don't know what's going on. For all I know, I could've caught it on the long weekend (had brief, outdoor, distanced chats with a few people at the campground) and now have long covid. The symptoms are similar to the side effects. Being already double vaccinated well before that trip should make this less likely.

But it is concerning to read these reports on a very new vaccine, which, to be honest, I had reservations about taking because it hasn't been studied over the long term.

And of course, our health care system is on the brink of collapse here, so it's really hard to see my Dr. Finally got an appointment for next week. Whatever it is, I hope my Dr. will take it seriously and look into it.
And I really hope it isn't permanent, because I feel like crap!!

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

My estimate was that 25% of passengers wore masks.

I think this was lower than in a normal evening, because there are lot of non-Londoner British people visiting London during half-term week who might not have been aware of mass wearing guidelines on London public transport.

They are usually easy enough to spot, no one thing in itself gives them away, because many British people from outside London have moved to London to live and work, but a combination of different haircuts, minor differences in clothing styles, some difference in facial features and of course accents provide the clues.
The proportion of people wearing masks on the main line trains is also dropping. I find the early trains, 05.00, 05,30 more people seem to wear them but the latter trains there is much less compliance.
My observations are those wearing the masks are likely to be the over 40’s and those that can’t be bothered are generally the under 40’s.
What I find most concerning is the BAME community are nearly 100% non compliant yet we were led to believe during lockdown that these people were at a disproportionate risk from the disease.
Currently, as I write this on the 06.18, there is a young guy who works for one of our sub contractors sitting opposite me, no mask and with his frigging e-scooter nearly touching my knee. Of the three of us in the carriage I am the only one with a mask.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My GP surgery is one of those that has been recently privatised, or whatever they call it. I have been called up for my Covid booster yet I have no option on the venue which is another doctors surgery several miles from home in the middle of the countryside with no transport links other than a car or a very occasional bus. The only days they are administering the boosters are a Saturday. I have a sneaking feeling this appointed surgery may also be owned by those who recently took over our surgery and there may be financial benefits for them. Our initial Covid jabs were carried out in the middle of our town, five minutes walk from home.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The proportion of people wearing masks on the main line trains is also dropping. I find the early trains, 05.00, 05,30 more people seem to wear them but the latter trains there is much less compliance.
My observations are those wearing the masks are likely to be the over 40’s and those that can’t be bothered are generally the under 40’s.
What I find most concerning is the BAME community are nearly 100% non compliant yet we were led to believe during lockdown that these people were at a disproportionate risk from the disease.
Currently, as I write this on the 06.18, there is a young guy who works for one of our sub contractors sitting opposite me, no mask and with his frigging e-scooter nearly touching my knee. Of the three of us in the carriage I am the only one with a mask.
As we approach Stratford there are seven of us in our section of the carriage and only two of us are wearing masks, me and a lady of a similar age to me. All the rest are about 30 years of age.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score

My estimate was that 25% of passengers wore masks...

I was in London a couple of weeks back and I'd say mask wearing on the tube was around the 70% mark - although, as you say, half-term holidays may have made a difference with your more recent experience.

I'm still wearing a mask on public transport, and in any other situation where a shop, venue or other public place asks me to. The biggest issue I find is that on longer train journeys - which I have to do quite regularly - mask wearing actually does become quite uncomfortable, especially in overheated and stuffy carriages. But then I have sinus issues, which doesn't help in the least.

Swifty

Reaction score
I hope you heard back about this, Swifty?

I'm a bit concerned about my 2nd shot of Pfizer. I'm hearing some reports of problems being caused if either 1st or 2nd shot (of either mRNA vaccine) is inadvertently injected into a vein instead of the muscle. Heart inflammation in mice has been reported in a recent study (which I can't find right now). Heart inflammation, fatigue, joint pain and menstrual issues in women have been reported in humans.

Neither of my shots were aspirated (plunger of syringe pulled back to check for blood) to ensure intramuscular injection, they just poked and pushed.

Directly after my second shot on July 11, I felt a coldness flow down my arm, and had a severe reaction 24 hrs after. (40 C fever, aches, chills, sore arm, so bad had trouble putting on my shirt, painfully swollen lymph in my armpit for days). After that, I felt fine. Maybe a bit tired.

Sept 6, feeling good. Camping (solo) for the long weekend. No problems. Sept 10, start having an ache in my knee. By Sept 12 I could hardly walk due to joint pain in my knee and hip. I didn't get a test at that time, because I didn't feel sick otherwise, and do have bad knees, so thought I just tweaked it somehow.

However, there is no swelling or pain to the touch like you would expect if I had tweaked it enough to be so long lasting and painfull. I am still dealing with almost constant discomfort in my leg. I am now also constantly fatigued. On days when I have energy and do stuff, I pay for the next three days with being so tired and sore I can't do anything. :( I am having some of the other symptoms too. The pain in my leg is less now, after some massages, but still lingers and can be easily triggered by even light activity, flaring up into agony.

I don't know what's going on. For all I know, I could've caught it on the long weekend (had brief, outdoor, distanced chats with a few people at the campground) and now have long covid. The symptoms are similar to the side effects. Being already double vaccinated well before that trip should make this less likely.

But it is concerning to read these reports on a very new vaccine, which, to be honest, I had reservations about taking because it hasn't been studied over the long term.

And of course, our health care system is on the brink of collapse here, so it's really hard to see my Dr. Finally got an appointment for next week. Whatever it is, I hope my Dr. will take it seriously and look into it.
And I really hope it isn't permanent, because I feel like crap!!
I've just taken a phone call regarding me getting nerve conduction studies Gizmos, they'll be firing electrical pulses into my feet (which don't feel as weird now thankfully but they're still not right) .. hopefully at the hospital I practically live next door to.

Lobeydosser

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Not Covid related (so feel free to move if someplace better), but unusual enough to mention I thought.
Just had Gov ministers and UN bods round for tea and buns at work (we are involved in COP26) - I actually pretty much live right in the middle of it all - my front door is now on the edge of UN controlled territory, my back door is in Scotland.
I wonder if i can claim some sort of "independence" for my front room ?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-59089946

Last edited: