COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
No toilet rolls...
But... plenty of bread!
You know what to do.

Reminds me of a hilarious article the biker magazine Easyriders in the 1970s, which advocated the 'Wipe Your Ass' Diet.

The premise was simple: if you want to use weight, you don't eat anything you can wipe your arse on.
If you're not sure, you just take a helping of it and try wiping your arse with it. If it works you will have food with shit all over it so you're probably safe from eating it.

So bread, chips, pizza, cake, tacos, no. Soup, hot beverages, soft fruit, poached eggs, cottage cheese, yes. Worked for me.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
You know what to do.

Reminds me of a hilarious article the biker magazine Easyriders in the 1970s, which advocated the 'Wipe Your Ass' Diet.

The premise was simple: if you want to use weight, you don't eat anything you can wipe your arse on.
If you're not sure, you just take a helping of it and try wiping your arse with it. If it works you will have food with shit all over it so you're probably safe from eating it.

So bread, chips, pizza, cake, tacos, no. Soup, hot beverages, soft fruit, poached eggs, cottage cheese, yes. Worked for me.
What? That made no sense to me, sorry.
I don't need any loo roll. I have my supply already.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Hello to all, I am sorry to say that my elderly uncle has passed away from Covid-19. Sad news for the family . I also know of a colleague's elderly mother-in-law who passed away from it last week. Both in the Midlands. Just an update really. Both in their 90's, still sad. Of course can't have usual funeral and no contact before which is sad. I go back into work on Thursday ( Still no proper P.P.E. as far as I know, sadly ). Take care all.
XXX to you and the family

Reactions: Ger

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Hello to all, I am sorry to say that my elderly uncle has passed away from Covid-19. Sad news for the family . I also know of a colleague's elderly mother-in-law who passed away from it last week. Both in the Midlands. Just an update really. Both in their 90's, still sad. Of course can't have usual funeral and no contact before which is sad. I go back into work on Thursday ( Still no proper P.P.E. as far as I know, sadly ). Take care all.
My condolences on your loss. Take care.

Reactions: Ger

Ger

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has thanked me! I am not what they call 'front line' (I have been and may get called up, especially with immunity) but my team makes sure front line staff are where they are needed and supported in any way possible to do their roles. We are also organising the new volunteers. Some of us work at home, but experienced people have been asked to continue working in, as we are versatile and can be called on to undertake other roles.
@Ger, my condolences as well Ger, it's a bloody sad time :(
Thank you x

Last edited by a moderator:

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
So sorry to hear your news.

Regarding PPE - can you not contact any work health and safety agency to get your concerns addressed? Bring your own PPE's if you have them. Not sure what situation you work in, but soap and water to keep your hands clean, mix 9 parts water to 1 part bleach for disinfectant and put into a spray bottle (if you need to transport it) to clean surfaces.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
My condolences.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear it, Ger. I 'liked' your post to acknowledge your loss IYSWIM.

I can foresee lots of delayed funeral/memorial ceremonies, long after the person has been buried or cremated - something like the 'empty coffin' services held after 9/11.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
Now... I have a 'top tip' to pass on, and please don't share it outwith these here boards :)

Turkish barber's cologne. It's 80% alcohol, has a pleasant lemony fragrance and costs about a tenner for 400ml.

Use it as hand sanitiser and flip the finger to the hand gel price gougers everywhere
Could someone start a Top Tip keeping safe thing please ?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Could someone start a Top Tip keeping safe thing please ?
Do you mean a thread dedicated to tips / suggestions for personal safety? If so ...

Have there actually been many such tips except those relating to disinfectants / sanitizers?

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
Do you mean a thread dedicated to tips / suggestions for personal safety? If so ...

Have there actually been many such tips except those relating to disinfectants / sanitizers?
I was thinking about somewhere we could share things we do before going out / after returning etc, I've been trying to avoid infections for over two years and I know there are other members who are vulnerable and may have a day to day routine that may help.

melon24

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I was thinking about somewhere we could share things we do before going out / after returning etc, I've been trying to avoid infections for over two years and I know there are other members who are vulnerable and may have a day to day routine that may help.
The Stay Strong Thread might just do that!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The Stay Strong Thread might just do that!
That's a very good point. The "Stay Strong" thread originated in response to the current COVID issues, and it already contains some tips-related posts.

I could revise the "Stay Strong" thread to be more explicitly focused on tips and suggestions and move its current posts that are more like personal status reports over to the "How Are You" thread.

By making the "Stay Strong" thread more specific to the current crisis / travails, I could then add it to the set of hot-linked COVID-related threads listed in the COVID index / hub / portal.

Comments are welcome ...

genex17

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Our local Safeway stocked some paper towels today after empty shelves for a week. 1 pack per shopper. Bewilders me that stores don't institute that policy. Yes, they can make round trips or hit up other stores, but at least put a "few chairs in the way".

Our shelter-in-place rules has kept the death toll in the 7.5million 9 county Bay Area down to 52. Staying at home is much nicer than staying in a hospital. Stats here: https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a very good point. The "Stay Strong" thread originated in response to the current COVID issues, and it already contains some tips-related posts.

I could revise the "Stay Strong" thread to be more explicitly focused on tips and suggestions and move its current posts that are more like personal status reports over to the "How Are You" thread.

By making the "Stay Strong" thread more specific to the current crisis / travails, I could then add it to the set of hot-linked COVID-related threads listed in the COVID index / hub / portal.

Comments are welcome ...
giphy.gif

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Of course can't have usual funeral and no contact before which is sad.
Truly sorry to hear of your loss and best wishes for recovery.

My own daughter-in-law passed away last month, after a long-standing illness.

Judging by reports coming from China, you might find some comfort in at least having a dignified passing and funeral.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
What an amazing box!

I’m trying to get a delivery from a couple of local farm shops...
My daughter phoned last night and was most amused about her photo being shared.

Especially so, when I revealed how popular with 'likes' it had become!

We reckoned It was largely down to folks seeing the photo and thinking, 'Oh, I like that'... :)

melon24

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Wow! Did we ever know that being a member of this online forum we joined for our Fortean interest, would give us all this sense of community in such a crisis. I feel very honored to be part of it. Thank you so much everyone!

Or maybe it's just a side effect of the covid.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a delivery from a couple of local farm shops but (understandably) the poor people are absolutely inundated!l
My daughter just ordered a vegetable box for myself - 2 day delivery and I await Thursday with much anticipation!

She said they were still exceptionally busy, although just slightly less so.

I've had some of the fruit and veg from Donna's first delivery and we have both been genuinely taken aback by the sheer taste of everything. The tomatoes and bananas were especially amazing and tasted just like... well, tomatoes and bananas!

Donna's boyfriend is making us a banana cake. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinkers Rucksack

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Sorry for the quickfire posts ( I have just joined but used to read here all the time for many a year back in the day!)

Not that it influences my opinions on it all being a bit of an over-reaction but using myself as an example of the problems caused by lockdown, and I'm sure this situation has applied to many a person:

I was due to start a new job yesterday, well on Wednesday last week I was called by my new employer to reassure me everything was fine, IT would be bringing some equipment round for me to use etc, all is good. The next day, I got another call to explain that due to the current situation my offer of employment had been withdrawn, therefore dumping me right into the dole queue! I'd already served my notice with my current employer.

Now we can manage, we have a mortgage but one that we made sure is well within our means, so at the moment we can get along. But this could have happened to someone who had just moved house for this or been renting then found themselves out of work. Also with no-one ( ok supermarkets and NHS excepted) now hiring anyone, it will be extremely difficult to pick up any kind of work for the coming months.

Who me

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Hi victory me and the beloved missus had a very bad bout of flu at Xmas and like you I think it was a strain of the present virus I’ve been told that is not the case but I ain’t convinced that it wasn’t.
And just a hint to the supermarkets how about having a booth/stall or summet to stop the stupid selfish half baked twats from grabbing all the loo roll still can’t get any for the people I’m shopping for we have given them some of ours.Managed to get a 9 pack a couple of weeks ago :punch: Sorry about the rant