COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
If you're isolating or not able to get out and need supplies, keep an eye on the supermarket sites - I just had a totally out-of-the-blue look at the Sainsbury's site and two home delivery slots appeared for tomorrow while I was looking at the page. Nothing else available for three weeks.

Presumably they scored another driver or someone cancelled - anyway, worth checking occasionally.

Also, I managed to grab a fair few essentials via Amazon yesterday which have arrived today, so that's a possible alternative. Obviously they don't stock any fresh, chilled or frozen but I was able to get tea bags, pasta sauce, cat litter and even some flu medication.

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
I'm still at work, about half the staff are off, but I feel fine and intend to keep going as long as possible.

If I do have to stay off or self-isolate, I have plenty to keep me occupied- I have enough unread books to get me through a couple of years, if need be. I've always believed that only boring people get bored!
My late father used to say that, bless him. He would have been a nightmare in this situation, he was immensely social, and went out every day. My mum is still walking her dogs with her friend Gay, but she assures me they're keeping apart, as Gay is immuno-compromised and my mum is in her 70s, and not touching each others dog's or toys, and are washing and disinfecting well when they get home, and they are otherwise self-isolating, so I'm hoping she'll be okay, but I wish they would stop it!
Thanks so much everyone, and :group: for all on here, in particular those suffering their own anxieties about the situation.
Take care, Zeb; my OCD and anxiety are in absolute overdrive, I'm doing my best not to panic, but I'm just slightly tense all the time now, it's awful! I hate living in interesting times!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Lots to sympathise with on this thread, personally I'm relying on the hourly radio bulletins for my news, with a quick scan of the BBC website once or twice a day. People round here seem to be treating this crisis like a holiday, all out and about like it doesn't affect them. Scotland will be like Italy in a couple of weeks at this rate.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Condolences to Trevp666 it's hard to lose a parent.
Went shopping today and actually got a packet of dried pasta and some flour as well as the 2 packets of meat we are allowed.
I wanted sausages but there was only the one large pack which I've divided up and frozen for about 5 meals for us.
As there's talk in the paper about non essential shops being shut down we went to the clothing shop to get something to show support for the lady who works there a couple of days a week.
She said her hours have been cut already and she is a single mother with 3 children, so she's feeling really scared.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
The butcher in the centre was closed as they had a notice they couldn't get more stock.

Trevp666

Abominable Snowman
Thanks everyone for your kind words.
I'm hoping that we now start seeing reports about people who have HAD it and recovered as we're now more than 2 weeks since the earliest reported cases in the UK.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Lots to sympathise with on this thread, personally I'm relying on the hourly radio bulletins for my news, with a quick scan of the BBC website once or twice a day. People round here seem to be treating this crisis like a holiday, all out and about like it doesn't affect them. Scotland will be like Italy in a couple of weeks at this rate.
Yup, we've just seen on the news that there are still crowds queuing to ski at Glencoe. Madness.

Snowdonia is also full of cars and people. They will soon be dead.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Well, I foresee a potential problem for me

I live on a camp site and if the govt shut them down as has been talked about...

I could go home to my Dads but he is in isolation...

What do I do?

(Landlord looking very grim...)

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Thanks so much everyone, and :group: for all on here, in particular those suffering their own anxieties about the situation.
Such a pleasant, kindred and thoughtful sentiment.

We shall endure, so long as....

...whoa... hold on there...

A group hug?

Noooooooooo... what happens now then?

Realise you can't post for 7 days and the rest of us have to forum-isolate for next 14?

Or, is it only this particular thread which is affected?

Can we even, 'like' someone's post, without compromising the entire Fortean Times operation?

What if they haven't been able to afford anti-virus for their file-server?

Guess we'll all just have to watch out for symptoms and meantime take that last selfie... :mad:

Screenshot_20200322_115256_resize_13.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
I live on a camp site and if the govt shut them down as has been talked about...
Plenty of isolated, outdoor locations for camping in Scotland.

Whilst not luxurious, tents are still a, 'roof over your head' and here's one which seems to have been heavily discounted...

Screenshot_20200322_121251_resize_3.jpg

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Went shopping today - mainly for my parents. I know I'm not supposed to see them but the other option is them starving, which isn't acceptable! Good amount of fruit and veg in our local greengrocers - there's only so many onions and potatoes you can hoard! - and my local Co-op had... toilet roll. I bought one nine-pack to split between my parents and us. There's virtually no tinned food and there was no bread, but that was delivered to the store yesterday but overall it wasn't too bad and no queues. Apparently at our local Lidl yesterday the cars were queueing up on the main road before opening time. My wife's picking up hand-sanitisers from work tomorrow; it's soap and water at home but when I'm out I like a back-up option.

Who me

Devoted Cultist
Me and the missus are supposed to be going to Scotland in April .
Middle of nowhere apparently just wondering if we will get there.
We are self-isolating as much as we can you have got to be sensible about it but at the big shops shelves are emptied pretty quickly.
Been gardening all day so far which is enjoyable.so there plus side’s take care everyone

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Me and the missus are supposed to be going to Scotland in April .
Middle of nowhere apparently just wondering if we will get there.
Remote communities would rather people didn't come. Unless it's all changed for the better by then of course!

People who have second homes are arriving, stripping the local shops and acting as if they are on holiday.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
This is worth a watch. I like Stephen Fry.

Stephen Fry has been giving advice on dealing with anxiety and stress whilst self-isolating during the coronavirus pandemic.

He told the BBC's Andrew Marr "anxiety and stress are almost as virulent as this coronavirus".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-51995797/coronavirus-stephen-fry-s-take-on-managing-anxiety

Makes me want to dig out our Fry and Laurie DVDs which I'm sure we have somewhere. Jeeves and Wooster would also be good but I don't think we have that.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Makes me want to dig out our Fry and Laurie DVDs which I'm sure we have somewhere. Jeeves and Wooster would also be good but I don't think we have that.
Read Summer Lightning by PG Wodehouse instead:

https://ia801004.us.archive.org/15/items/QuickServicePGWodehouse/complete work of p g wodehouse/blandings castle/summer lightning - p g wodehouse.epub [Requires software to open .epub files--freely available online]

“A certain critic – for such men, I regret to say, do exist – made the nasty remark about my last novel that it contained ‘all the old Wodehouse characters under different names’. He has probably by now been eaten by bears, like the children who made mock of the prophet Elisha: but if he still survives he will not be able to make a similar charge against Summer Lightning. With my superior intelligence, I have outgeneralled the man this time by putting in all the old Wodehouse characters under the same names. Pretty silly it will make him feel, I rather fancy.”

It's one of the most perfectly written and hilariously funny books every penned in our language.

I guarantee it'll lift your spirits.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Other people are worse off than me but please allow me a slight whinge .. I passed an interview the other day to work in a supermarket café then it was announced all cafes everywhere are closing.

I'm hoping to now instead be offered a job in the main store, something else that was offered to me at the interview which I didn't rule out by admitting I'd take a position wherever I'm needed if it came to it .. I'll hopefully find out tomorrow if I get a job but with the café staff all now unable to work in the cafe, I imagine they'll be offered re deployment on the shop floor so the store might not want me after all .. fucksticks .. except I'm worrying about something before it happens .. they are clambering for order pickers though for home delivery, 6am to 11am with overtime offered in the main store.

I'll take what I can get. I count myself as lucky after reading some of the posts here.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Other people are worse off than me but please allow me a slight whinge .. I passed an interview the other day to work in a supermarket café then it was announced all cafes everywhere are closing.

I'm hoping to now instead be offered a job in the main store, something else that was offered to me at the interview which I didn't rule out by admitting I'd take a position wherever I'm needed if it came to it .. I'll hopefully find out tomorrow if I get a job but with the café staff all now unable to work in the cafe, I imagine they'll be offered re deployment on the shop floor so the store might not want me after all .. fucksticks .. except I'm worrying about something before it happens .. they are clambering for order pickers though for home delivery, 6am to 11am with overtime offered in the main store.

I'll take what I can get. I count myself as lucky after reading some of the posts here.
They may also need delivery drivers, what with all the people ordering stuff online.
Good luck.
I imagine your Mrs is having a tough time of it at the moment. Nobody is using hotels. Mind you, this isn't the holiday season anyway, so hotels are typically dead this time of year anyway.