COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Other people are worse off than me but please allow me a slight whinge .. I passed an interview the other day to work in a supermarket café then it was announced all cafes everywhere are closing.

I'm hoping to now instead be offered a job in the main store, something else that was offered to me at the interview which I didn't rule out by admitting I'd take a position wherever I'm needed if it came to it .. I'll hopefully find out tomorrow if I get a job but with the café staff all now unable to work in the cafe, I imagine they'll be offered re deployment on the shop floor so the store might not want me after all .. fucksticks .. except I'm worrying about something before it happens .. they are clambering for order pickers though for home delivery, 6am to 11am with overtime offered in the main store.

I'll take what I can get. I count myself as lucky after reading some of the posts here.
I still have my fingers and toes crossed for you.* Yes, the other cafe staff might well be deployed onto the shop floor, but that doesn't mean that they don't need extra staff on top as well.

*If I cross all my fingers over each other, they stay that way until I untangle them.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
They may also need delivery drivers, what with all the people ordering stuff online.
Good luck.
I imagine your Mrs is having a tough time of it at the moment. Nobody is using hotels. Mind you, this isn't the holiday season anyway, so hotels are typically dead this time of year anyway.
She's being kept on for now .. top senior manager .. she's not looking forward to the NHS staff dossing there though, more for contamination reasons although I know NHS staff as an ex one .. it's going to be like M*A*S*H* there, piss ups, parties in the pool area, sneaking mates and lovers in etc .. NHS frontline are party animals just so they can blow off some steam ..

Swifty

Last edited:

Who me

Devoted Cultist
Hi frideswide totally agree with the small community thing.
My brother lives in Cornwall and he says all the second/holiday homes are full and they expect to be able to strip the shelves of the local shops because they want it.
And if we have to put the holiday on hold so be it.
Take care everyone

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Other people are worse off than me but please allow me a slight whinge .. I passed an interview the other day to work in a supermarket café then it was announced all cafes everywhere are closing.
My Morrison's cafe shut down but on Saturday there was still Staff there - was told that it was take-away only. I didn't want to impose just for coffee so don't know if meals were still being cooked, just know we weren't allowed to sit.

Trevp666

Abominable Snowman
.......I'll take what I can get.........(etc)
Move (if you can) down here, or up here depending on where you are. This is the golden triangle for warehouse jobs with a large DHL place just around the corner, next door to a main Ocado warehouse, the Marks and Spencer fulfilment centre just down the road, an Arla main DC too, and a number of other large businesses with pick/pack operations. They're all advertising for people constantly.

Swifty

Move (if you can) down here, or up here depending on where you are. This is the golden triangle for warehouse jobs with a large DHL place just around the corner, next door to a main Ocado warehouse, the Marks and Spencer fulfilment centre just down the road, an Arla main DC too, and a number of other large businesses with pick/pack operations. They're all advertising for people constantly.
Thanks mate X .. all options considered ..

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Thought, ooh, Universal are putting some films on streaming early - good idea, very generous, I'll just take a look- FIFTEEN QUID NINETY-NINE FOR ONE RENTAL??!!! Someone's 'avin' a laff!

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Someone's 'avin' a laff!
Worth looking on Nitrateville and other places for links to the niche archives and collections, which are putting their stuff online for free. Registration may be required. I tend to steer clear of those demanding Credit Card details, for age verification. I'm interested in old movies, is that not age-verification enough! :omr:

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Remote communities would rather people didn't come. Unless it's all changed for the better by then of course!

People who have second homes are arriving, stripping the local shops and acting as if they are on holiday.
Yep, this is the opinion of Cornwall, most of the rest of the west country, all of Wales and the Highlands of Scotland*. Basically, they're now closed. The local health facilities cannot cope with a large influx of temporary residents.

*can provide local news links if required.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Worth looking on Nitrateville and other places for links to the niche archives and collections, which are putting their stuff online for free. Registration may be required. I tend to steer clear of those demanding Credit Card details, for age verification. I'm interested in old movies, is that not age-verification enough! :omr:
Thanks for the tip, though I don't usually download if I can help it, prefer something more "official". Mind you, even with official oldies it's a bit of a lottery not knowing what the quality will be like. I wouldn't give up my credit card details to watch a film! Had someone asking for my mobile number as verification recently - sorry, don't have a mobile, and also not that desperate to see your movie!

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Tried to ring the surgery to get a prescription this morning but it was apparently congested on that line and I was advised to try again later.
Probably everyone is worried they won't be able to get their medications as some come from overseas.
Mine comes from Greece.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
No, I normally have to go to the doctor to get a repeat prescription for 6 times and I have used the last one.
I still have a couple of week's worth left but don't want to run out as it's for blood pressure.
So if I can finally be answered I may be able to have it faxed to the chemist or I may have to go into have the doctor take my pressure although the pharmacy could do that.

Every time I see this thumbnail on the Guardian I think of Michael Jackson.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 16.57.22.png

I'm supposed to be going to work on Wednesday, not sure what will happen now. (It's definitely non-essential)
I mentioned to the boss last week that I didn't mind staying at home for the foreseeable but he said there was no need as there was still work coming in.
Things have changed a bit, very quickly. I'll phone tomorrow and see what's happening. Wouldn't want martial law to kick in and have to spend 12 weeks at work.