COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
So, no visit to the barbers/hairdressers/salon looking possible for a good while yet.

I am gradually resembling a castaway, especially as I only ever have a regular shave at the local Turkish barbers.

Just a thought - anyone successfully attempted a DIY home haircut/hairdressing alternative?

More of interest... any disasters to share... :)
Been cutting it myself for the last 25 years so literally no difference for me.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
So, no visit to the barbers/hairdressers/salon looking possible for a good while yet.

I am gradually resembling a castaway, especially as I only ever have a regular shave at the local Turkish barbers.

Just a thought - anyone successfully attempted a DIY home haircut/hairdressing alternative?

More of interest... any disasters to share... :)

Save £10-£15 per haircut, 15-20-25 times per year.

I just use a Grade 3 all over.

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I once had a pair of Babyliss clippers which I eventually had to stop using one time when smoke started to come from the body of the things.
I've been using the same ancient, corded Remington clippers for well over a decade now. I'd like them to start smoking, as I initially thought I was ordering a cordless set. However, Sod's Law decrees that they are hanging like a squeaky gate...

maximus otter

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
I've been doing whatever I do to my hair (can't really call it cutting or grooming, more "wrestling") for many decades.

Eternally looking like a half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder keeps chuggers, grifters and, well, people in general, away.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well, having avoided the Bristol-Bath bike path since the start of the virus I shall be on it again today. It's often impossible to keep a 2-metre distance, but while I was cycling on the road yesterday dozens of very fast-moving cars, vans and trucks couldn't keep two metres from me. So, it's a choice between an increased chance of catching a virus or an increased chance of being squished by an inattentive speeding driver. I always wear a helmet but a bit of polystyrene and a plastic shell doesn't make much difference when you're under the wheels of a 40-ton artic.

Hey ho, the super-quiet roads were great fun while they lasted and when the lockdown's back again (that's my prediction for today) the roads will quieten once more. And sorry to bring politics into this, but if anybody thinks £250m and a few nice words will turn us into a cycling nation, they weren't on the roads yesterday. Twice I was overtaken at junctions, for example, several times on blind bends and the brows of hills. The phrase I've instilled in my parents is 'What could possibly go wrong?' Lots, in those cases, and I await the first rash of fatal incidents with a sense of dread.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
She survived Last of the Summer Wine as well, if she was British she would probably have been in the cast.
My Mum's been watching re runs of Summer Wine and been really enjoying herself .. her and my Dad are stuck in France at the moment and she's got limited mobility but happy and safe enough otherwise. I always wanted to know what Compo had in that match box that he used to freak women out with his filthy chuckle.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
My best mate Phil is stuck in a third floor flat in Liverpool. We have long phone calls every day but he is getting what the Yanks call 'cabin fever' Hating not going out but at the same time not wanting to go out. He's 71 and an asthma sufferer so high-risk, although otherwise very fit for his age, better than me probably. If I do take the dog to Liverpool for his operation - STILL heard nothing, arses to be kicked in the morning - I'll try and meet up with him now we are allowed to talk to one friend.

Last edited:

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Well, having avoided the Bristol-Bath bike path since the start of the virus I shall be on it again today. It's often impossible to keep a 2-metre distance, but while I was cycling on the road yesterday dozens of very fast-moving cars, vans and trucks couldn't keep two metres from me. So, it's a choice between an increased chance of catching a virus or an increased chance of being squished by an inattentive speeding driver. I always wear a helmet but a bit of polystyrene and a plastic shell doesn't make much difference when you're under the wheels of a 40-ton artic.

Hey ho, the super-quiet roads were great fun while they lasted and when the lockdown's back again (that's my prediction for today) the roads will quieten once more. And sorry to bring politics into this, but if anybody thinks £250m and a few nice words will turn us into a cycling nation, they weren't on the roads yesterday. Twice I was overtaken at junctions, for example, several times on blind bends and the brows of hills. The phrase I've instilled in my parents is 'What could possibly go wrong?' Lots, in those cases, and I await the first rash of fatal incidents with a sense of dread.
Part of the reason I give cyclists a wide berth and am cautious in overtaking is that I have had a couple of LHD cars - your line of sight is obviously worse. I hope I've never discombobulated a cyclist (or a horse rider) while driving.

But I do wish cyclists had bells and used them - that's me in walking the dog mode.

Swifty

Reaction score
This post isn't going to win me many lock down friends .. it's inspired by a post Naughty Felid wrote about the fact that some of us have just had to cross our fingers instead and work all the way through the last 5 weeks mixing with the public .. I'm not trying to 'blame' NF in this picture, it's just the truth in my own personal opinion ..

NHS, key workers etc have been' front lining' while other people have been safely inside, I see some people 'knowingly giggling' that none of it mattered now .. I had to get security guards to stop the 'WAHEY!' factor of customers today and regulate the amount of people being let into our store. The good news is that most people are still being street wise, most staff are being supportive to our customers, I kicked a shopping trolley out of my way being steered by a customer who walked up to me to about 1ft distance away from my face to ask me where something was and I didn't get fired but I was half hoping I would .. so people are slowly being 'bled' back outside and are having to deal with the same mixed messages we've all been currently dropped into.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
This post isn't going to win me many lock down friends .. it's inspired by a post Naughty Felid wrote about the fact that some of us have just had to cross our fingers instead and work all the way through the last 5 weeks mixing with the public .. I'm not trying to 'blame' NF in this picture, it's just the truth in my own personal opinion ..

NHS, key workers etc have been' front lining' while other people have been safely inside, I see some people 'knowingly giggling' that none of it mattered now .. I had to get security guards to stop the 'WAHEY!' factor of customers today and regulate the amount of people being let into our store. The good news is that most people are still being street wise, most staff are being supportive to our customers, I kicked a shopping trolley out of my way being steered by a customer who walked up to me to about 1ft distance away from my face to ask me where something was and I didn't get fired but I was half hoping I would .. so people are slowly being 'bled' back outside and are having to deal with the same mixed messages we've all been currently dropped into.
Sorry don't understand your post - we've both not had many days off recently and we've both been essential.

Swifty

Reaction score
Sorry don't understand your post - we've both not had many days off recently and we've both been essential.
You mentioned in an earlier post a day or two back that you've also been working through this? .. I hope you also got at least a shiny green 'KEY WORKER' badge that will probably be worth not very much on ebay in a few years time ... I'm rolling out pre rehearsed jokes like "Sorry, I don't actually work here, I'm just a very well organised shop lifter" etc etc ..

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
You mentioned in an earlier post a day or two back that you've also been working through this? ..

Totally and if anything I think workers in food/essentials supply have been horribly overlooked in how we value people during this time. I was just not sure what point you were making.

Swifty

Reaction score
Totally and if anything I think workers in food/essentials supply have been horribly overlooked in how we value people during this time. I was just not sure what point you were making.
Me neither mate .. just babblings from the front line .. and now the civilians have been thrown into the mix .. it's like trying to play a game of football with a heard of cows strolling through the pitch .. not calling customers 'cows' as such, just the random disorganisation that we're working with at the moment is treating them like that .. and us home delivery lot are doing 8hr shifts with a strict 15 minute break every day. The 15 minute break was set for us doing 6hr shifts but ... well you know what supermarkets are like ....

edit: and one of my boss's lost her rag today .. she'd agreed to a '200 item' extra pick today because it was a telephone call from a care home .. so it was for a good cause .. then she found out almost all of it was for alcohol and chocolate .. "That's taking the piss! .. that isn't why we're doing this!" .. I know where she's coming from but if that stops people going mental and/or coming into our store and they keep paying me? .. I'm all for it. Because It's not like governments don't slip a few chocolate bars and sometimes traditionally alcohol rations into army kits. It is a bit soul destroying having to drag a 24 can pack of Carling into someone's order at 6:20am though.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
Me neither mate .. just babblings from the front line .. and now the civilians have been thrown into the mix .. it's like trying to play a game of football with a heard of cows strolling through the pitch .. not calling customers 'cows' as such, just the random disorganisation that we're working with at the moment is treating them like that .. and us home delivery lot are doing 8hr shifts with a strict 15 minute break every day. The 15 minute break was set for us doing 6hr shifts but ... well you know what supermarkets are like ....
Take it easy there bro. Look out for yourself.

Swifty

Reaction score
Take it easy there bro. Look out for yourself.
Not a lot of chance of that at the moment bruv but thank you anyway .. more worried about the safety of our customers and NHS at the moment .. I could have done overtime today, we're not forced to work longer than 6hrs but you just know your co workers have to keep going if you don't. I was 'selfish' today so only did an extra hour and a half. Payday bonus .. but I expect I had some eyes burning into my back when I left. If you can't look after yourself?, you can't look after others. A couple of our team either threw a sickie or were genuinely sick this morning.

Keep Rollin' .. drag your wheeled cart around, yellow baskets hold more than grey baskets which fall out and land on your feet, and don't ask permission .. just f***ing take those plastic bags from checkout, don't forget to hook your Spiderman key ring onto your cart and don't forget to remove it when you swap carts, flirt, drink enough water, don't lose your clock in card, don't expect a straight answer from managers, tell dirty jokes, press 'no sale' and pretend the product doesn't exist when you're asked to pick Pumpkin and Ostrich flavour crisps because your customer is clearly a wanker .. heartfelt smile at the big boss .. walk home dodging pavement space invaders .. pretend to be interested in your girlfriend's day .. eat something .. go to sleep .. wake up, chat some crap here then go back to sleep, set your alarm for 5am. Roll 2 cigarettes for the morning and make sure your 9am sausage is in the fridge in the plastic tub with the slice of bread and the tomato sauce. Repeat.

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Part of the reason I give cyclists a wide berth and am cautious in overtaking is that I have had a couple of LHD cars - your line of sight is obviously worse. I hope I've never discombobulated a cyclist (or a horse rider) while driving.

But I do wish cyclists had bells and used them - that's me in walking the dog mode.
Yep, I've got a bell (A Hide My Bell that also houses my Garmin mount) but oddly, over the last few years, it's a sound that people have factored out of their lives, even on the bike path! I like to give a gentle ring about 25 metres before I get to the person I'm warning, but sometimes you just have to ring-ring-ring-ring it incessantly even if they're not wearing headphones or on the phone. No idea why.

My ride on the bike path was depressing. Normally during a weekday afternoon you can spin along casually at a steady pace slowing when required. But it's just too full; loads of families; groups of teenagers not socially distancing. In fact, social distancing didn't seem to be happening at all. A couple of women were stood chatting by one of the gates, so that you had to get close to them to pass. And further on at another gate, I couldn't get anybody to understand that I'd wait for them to pass – they wanted to hold the gate open for me. Impossible.

I was able to cycle more freely on the Bristol ring road bike path but the nearby traffic was very heavy, noisy and polluting. So, ironically, I will now be driving to go cycling somewhere that is safe, probably Warminster-Salisbury along the Wylye Valley.

Still, I've ridden 900+ miles in five weeks, which is nice, and my physical and mental health is much better for it.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This old Ariel built 1945 has sat for over 30 years in a mates shed then 2 or 3 years in my garage, till lock down prompted me...
One of the activities I have been filling time with, is trying to unearth old family photographs.

I found some new this morning and wondered if this one might be of interest, even just out of curiosity.

I don't recognise the person and believe it might be a friend of my late uncle.

Other than that, basically I found this tattered old photo. :)

IMG_20200515_103342_resize_35.jpg

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
CZ is Northern Ireland.
Thanks for that insight, really helpful.

So, if Northern Ireland, I believe that now makes sense of some other things, athough not quite everything.

I always understood my mum's side of the family lived in Ireland for a while. There are some photos which tie-up with the bike picture:

IMG_20200515_083727_resize_66.jpg

IMG_20200515_084108_resize_84.jpg

However, I recall they lived in a place named Isla (it was pronounced eye-la) and can't locate that in Northern Ireland.

There is still one elderly relative alive, who could answer that question and I will try and get in touch.

Massive assist there. :twothumbs: