COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Just went into our local shop, spotted the spot on poster saying "We don't tolerate physical or verbal abuse to our customers" said "Does this mean I can't beat you up anymore?" .. she smiled .. obvious joke .. then the store owner said, in a serious voice, "You can but I'd take you round the back for a kicking" .. *tumbleweed* .. I go in every day and we all always banter? .. so I said "Really, because normally you enjoy a kicking .. you usually pay for it." ..

Customer service is traditionally crap in that place anyway .. strange times as well, I wonder if his next girlfriend has just dumped him or something?.. either way, I hope he doesn't rock at me with the testosterone again. I've got a hard on at the moment for going back in for a punch up but the adult inside me is telling me to go to bed instead ready for work tomorrow morning instead. He f*****g knows I'm also a retail 'key worker'? .. :mad:

edit: to be fair, he had his back turned to us both the whole time so he might not have realised it was me and thought I was a tourist or something ..
Aaaannd relax...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Aaaannd relax...
Tell me about it mate X .. in through the nose, out through the mouth, in through the nose, out through the mouth ...

.. nope, sorry, he's still a cunt. I am going to bed instead though.

NSFW .. swearing/bad language .. for the roller crew

Last edited:

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Local Tescos.

Doorway is 2 metres wide.

Bulky Security guard, no face mask, stands in doorway reducing its effective width to less than 2 metres, gesturing to people in queue who are taking care to stand 2 metres apart, when they can enter store.

Go figure.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
Tell me about it mate X .. in through the nose, out through the mouth, in through the nose, out through the mouth ...

.. nope, sorry, he's still a cunt. I am going to bed instead though.

NSFW .. swearing/bad language .. for the roller crew

Grown men are such children.

Swifty

Reaction score
Local Tescos.

Doorway is 2 metres wide.

Bulky Security guard, no face mask, stands in doorway reducing its effective width to less than 2 metres, gesturing to people in queue who are taking care to stand 2 metres apart, when they can enter store.

Go figure.
We had two women having a lovely chat in our store today a couple of foot away from each other, they've clearly found an effective vaccination and we've all got nothing to worry about anymore. Our other customers were forced to walk past them at close range to each other. Our other customers were shaking their heads in disbelief as were the staff at these two 'rebels' aka 'arseholes' .. none of us challenged them because that's the security guard's job so I told him they were causing a traffic jam .. poor sod was on his lunch break when I told him although he went over there anyway, end of aisle 20 .. fortunately (I suppose) they'd chosen to move on at the point so any potential awkwardness for everyone wasn't needed anymore. Some people are, y'know .. like too cool and stuff to, like, become 'sheeple' .. fucking morons.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
My little sister (Down's) lives in semi-sheltered accommodation ie Carers come in twice a day and obviously I haven't been allowed to see her for weeks. Her hearing has been deteriorating for a while but although she'll answer the phone, I can't now get any sense out of her. Managed to phone when the Carer was there and he agreed there's been a marked decline in her hearing - but he ventured the point that since the Carers started wearing masks, it's become clear the extent she's been relying on lip-reading. Poor thing. Made me wonder about the elderly in Care Homes and how they cope with masked Staff.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
My little sister (Down's) lives in semi-sheltered accommodation ie Carers come in twice a day and obviously I haven't been allowed to see her for weeks. Her hearing has been deteriorating for a while but although she'll answer the phone, I can't now get any sense out of her. Managed to phone when the Carer was there and he agreed there's been a marked decline in her hearing - but he ventured the point that since the Carers started wearing masks, it's become clear the extent she's been relying on lip-reading. Poor thing. Made me wonder about the elderly in Care Homes and how they cope with masked Staff.
Yes, as my hearing gets worse I find it essential to see mouths. I have no hesitation about saying this but I wonder if I'll have the energy to fight back as it goes on.

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I saw today that loss of smell and taste is now considered, by the U.K. Government, as a symptom of C19; whereas elsewhere it has been a recognised symptom for some time.
The BBC listed a number of symptoms that are considered as signs of C19 infection in other countries but not in the U.K, one of which is conjunctivitis. As I have mentioned elsewhere I was poorly over the Christmas period with the symptoms of C19. The kids all came to see me on Christmas Day and a week or so later my youngest son had the worst case of conjunctivitis I have ever seen. First one eye, then the second eye closed up and was so badly swollen it looked like he had gone a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson.
The GP said it was a viral infection and talked my son round to cancelling a long planned trip to Budapest with his buddies. The GP was concerned that the infection could worsen, but told my son it would not be advisable to get on a plane with such a serious infection as he could pass it on to others.
He and a group of his close friends then suffered with a fever, cough and chest infections. I am so convinced that this illness has been doing the rounds for far longer than we really know.

Swifty

Reaction score
Cromer's (obviously) closed tourist information centre has been converted into a Cov-19 testing centre, nobody's going inside the building but as I walked home from work I spotted about ten very young looking men in the large car park behind the building, half of them in what looked like army uniforms (I didn't hang around to watch, I didn't want to get told off and to move on and I didn't want to embarrass the people being tested), the other half of the young men were in face masks doing the swab tests through car windows. And we've got tourists wandering around inside our store ffs .. I had a safe distance chat with a older woman customer this morning and all she wanted was to know if we sold 'jam sugar' .. not exactly a crime is it. I perked up because I'm a Midlander and she sounded like she was also from Birmingham so I said "I recognise your accent .. are you a Brummie like me aren't you mate?" and gave her a genuine smile .. she replied that she wasn't which I knew was bullshit and I couldn't understand why she was lying until I suddenly remembered why she felt the need to lie so I told her truthfully "I'm a Brummie as well", she was scared someone was going to tell her off. When she realised I wasn't going to tell her off, she said "Thank you. And I am from Birmingham.". Then flashed me a relieved smile. I'm expecting "I can't wait 'till this is all over either" T Shirts to become on sale, our generation's equivalent of 'KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON'.

I hope her and her husband have a nice secret holiday. We Brummies were biting the heads of bats before it was fashionable .. and we invented the industrial revolution .. and heavy metal music .. come to think of it now, this might (partly) be all our fault? .. :badge:

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I hope her and her husband have a nice secret holiday. We Brummies were biting the heads of bats before it was fashionable .. and we invented the industrial revolution .. and heavy metal music .. come to think of it now, this might (partly) be all our fault? .. :badge:
Yes, must stop biting bits off bats.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Cromer's (obviously) closed tourist information centre has been converted into a Cov-19 testing centre, nobody's going inside the building but as I walked home from work I spotted about ten very young looking men in the large car park behind the building, half of them in what looked like army uniforms (I didn't hang around to watch, I didn't want to get told off and to move on and I didn't want to embarrass the people being tested), the other half of the young men were in face masks doing the swab tests through car windows. And we've got tourists wandering around inside our store ffs .. I had a safe distance chat with a older woman customer this morning and all she wanted was to know if we sold 'jam sugar' .. not exactly a crime is it. I perked up because I'm a Midlander and she sounded like she was also from Birmingham so I said "I recognise your accent .. are you a Brummie like me aren't you mate?" and gave her a genuine smile .. she replied that she wasn't which I knew was bullshit and I couldn't understand why she was lying until I suddenly remembered why she felt the need to lie so I told her truthfully "I'm a Brummie as well", she was scared someone was going to tell her off. When she realised I wasn't going to tell her off, she said "Thank you. And I am from Birmingham.". Then flashed me a relieved smile. I'm expecting "I can't wait 'till this is all over either" T Shirts to become on sale, our generation's equivalent of 'KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON'.

I'm just relieved I read a recent post of yours that I could make sense of... I was getting worried about you, how incoherent you were getting (I know I'm not one to talk!). Hope you're managing to get enough rest in between shifts.

Swifty

Reaction score
I'm just relieved I read a recent post of yours that I could make sense of... I was getting worried about you, how incoherent you were getting (I know I'm not one to talk!). Hope you're managing to get enough rest in between shifts.
You're hit the nail on the head .. I'm tired except the Mrs is home cooking for me until I become her bitch instead when she has to go back to work on June the 1st .. and it's all posh people she'll have to deal with .. posh people so they're going to be 'indignant' and 'absolutely furious' that they are going to be 2 metres apart, .. end.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
all she wanted was to know if we sold 'jam sugar'
That has got me all intrigued now!
Like there must be some sort of back story. Who is the old lady? Has she travelled from Brum to Cromer to make jam? And why?
Is there some kind of Jam ban in Brum? Or is it that Cromer is somehow the last remaining place in the UK that still sells Jam Sugar?
So many questions.
Stay well, Swifty.

Swifty

Reaction score
That has got me all intrigued now!
Like there must be some sort of back story. Who is the old lady? Has she travelled from Brum to Cromer to make jam? And why?
Is there some kind of Jam ban in Brum? Or is it that Cromer is somehow the last remaining place in the UK that still sells Jam Sugar?
So many questions.
Stay well, Swifty.
I doubt she was a tourist, tourists aren't normally thinking about making jam and she'd probably have a lack of facilities? .. I don't know either .. and keep your chin up as well Trev X ..

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
In other news, my mother was suddenly admitted to hospital for 2 nights last week for non-Covid problems. She's back home now and I'm hoping she didn't pick it up while she was there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Mischief

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
We had two women having a lovely chat in our store today a couple of foot away from each other, they've clearly found an effective vaccination and we've all got nothing to worry about anymore. Our other customers were forced to walk past them at close range to each other. Our other customers were shaking their heads in disbelief as were the staff at these two 'rebels' aka 'arseholes' .. none of us challenged them because that's the security guard's job so I told him they were causing a traffic jam .. poor sod was on his lunch break when I told him although he went over there anyway, end of aisle 20 .. fortunately (I suppose) they'd chosen to move on at the point so any potential awkwardness for everyone wasn't needed anymore. Some people are, y'know .. like too cool and stuff to, like, become 'sheeple' .. fucking morons.
On the news last night there was a woman who had travelled an hour and a half to go to some beach with her family, she was complaining that there were too many people ignoring lokdown. It's like she had abandonded her keyboard commentating on DM or Grauniad articles and was out and about demonstrating her lack of self awareness in person. The world seems to be full of such people recently and sadly your job is going to expose you to more fuckwits than the average person will come across.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
............tourists aren't normally thinking about making jam........
Hmmm.....What are they thinking about then young SwiftyFellaMeLad...eh?
Hiding that super power of mind reading not so well now eh?
<quickly dons tin foil hat>
"You're not getting ME fella!"..............

Swifty

Reaction score
Hmmm.....What are they thinking about then young SwiftyFellaMeLad...eh?
Not making jam normally because that requires a decently equipped kitchen, not the kind you'd have if you were renting a caravan/flat/hotel room etc ... I'm not hating on jam making tourists, just making the point that they're probably not tourists at all. She was nice anyway and a fellow Brummie.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
On the news last night there was a woman who had travelled an hour and a half to go to some beach with her family, she was complaining that there were too many people ignoring lokdown. It's like she had abandonded her keyboard commentating on DM or Grauniad articles and was out and about demonstrating her lack of self awareness in person. The world seems to be full of such people recently and sadly your job is going to expose you to more fuckwits than the average person will come across.
It does come across as ‘Look at all these selfish, ignorant people doing exactly what I’m doing. It really is appalling’.

Swifty

Reaction score
I felt a bit sorry for some old fella in our corner shop just now .. he was waiting to leave the shop and some guy and his daughter were standing in the doorway so he waited patiently until asking them as politely as possible to get the f**k out of his way ... people standing in doorways is one of my pet peeves at the best of times but at the moment? .. most people are using their brains instead thankfully. It's all about "Excuse me", "After you", "Thank you", "Sorry" and smiling at considerate strangers at the moment .. should always be like that anyway.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Incidentally, aquick look at jam sugar reveals it’s better suited for fruits and berries lower in pectin.

Last edited:

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I felt a bit sorry for some old fella in our corner shop just now .. he was waiting to leave the shop and some guy and his daughter were standing in the doorway so he waited patiently until asking them as politely as possible to get the f**k out of his way ... people standing in doorways is one of my pet peeves at the best of times but at the moment? .. most people are using their brains instead thankfully. It's all about "Excuse me", "After you", "Thank you", "Sorry" and smiling at considerate strangers at the moment .. should always be like that anyway.
You know what gets on my nerves? Absolutely bloody EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Swifty needs a 'fuckwit proximity alarm' for such instances.

Swifty

Reaction score
You know what gets on my nerves? Absolutely bloody EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!
Home delivery is absolutely smashing it mate ... nobody's throwing sickies (as far as I know) .. we're being measured on attendance and hourly pick rate and correct items pick rate including substitutions because the government are paying us .. so some of us let go of our carts and put our arms out like aeroplanes just to give each other a smile .. we're chipping away at the foundations.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Not making jam normally because that requires a decently equipped kitchen, not the kind you'd have if you were renting a caravan/flat/hotel room etc ... I'm not hating on jam making tourists, just making the point that they're probably not tourists at all. She was nice anyway and a fellow Brummie.
Jam making doesn't require much equipment. My Mum makes a lot with just basic gear.