COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
You dont need much to make jam, just a big pot, a method of heating, fruit and any sugar.

If you need extra pectin theres fruits have lots (a friend renders down apple cores)

Oh, and jars.

oxo66

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
You dont need much to make jam, just a big pot, a method of heating, fruit and any sugar.

If you need extra pectin theres fruits have lots (a friend renders down apple cores)

Oh, and jars.
Sterilised jars, and lids. So you need an oven or a source of boiling water.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I'd expect that green line to start smoothing and curving out into a horizontal line around the 18th. I predict there will be a long drawn out small number of cases for a few more months (if you don't see a spike during June).

In other news, my mother was suddenly admitted to hospital for 2 nights last week for non-Covid problems. She's back home now and I'm hoping she didn't pick it up while she was there.
*waves at Ringo's Mum with a smile*

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Too a walk today around 5pm, for 40 minutes North West London.
Guess I passed aroudn 200 people, but I knwo for sur eonly two of them were wearing face masks.

I have today been told that it is difficult for asthmatics to wear face masks and to be able to breathe properly.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Reaction score
Too a walk today around 5pm, for 40 minutes North West London.
Guess I passed aroudn 200 people, but I knwo for sur eonly two of them were wearing face masks.

I have today been told that it is difficult for asthmatics to wear face masks and to be able to breathe properly.
It's not especially necessary to wear them outdoors though, is it? I can understand that someone who I'd vulnerable might want to. How severe is your asthma? I doubt masks make it that hard.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
It's not especially necessary to wear them outdoors though, is it? I can understand that someone who I'd vulnerable might want to. How severe is your asthma? I doubt masks make it that hard.
I don't thank G-D have asthma myself, but I was told asthmatics can struggle to breathe properly with masks on.

If someone walks outdoors a long way from others then a mask is not neccesary, agree.

But I live in a suburban area of London...so when I go for a walk I see see people going into and coming out of the tube, going into shops etc

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Aren't the masks supposed to be there to prevent those carriers from spreading it around, rather that protecting the uninfected from airborne dangers?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Aren't the masks supposed to be there to prevent those carriers from spreading it around, rather that protecting the uninfected from airborne dangers?
Basically, yes ... The primary objective for recommending masks was to minimize droplets "going out" rather than stopping viruses "coming in." It requires a "professional" level mask to effectively filter out individual viruses.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
From my observations (backed up by surveys) the number of people no longer socially distancing is going up rapidly, which I worry will cause a second wave of Covid. The main group – my observations and surveys tally again – appear to be young men. On the Two Tunnels Cycle Way yesterday there were several groups of six-eight teenagers/young men, stopping together, having barbecues etc. Okay, so they are the least likely demographic to be infected but that's only a slight saving grace.

I'm still on furlough though wouldn't be surprised to be called back, perhaps part-time, in the next week or two; I can do my job entirely from home though that is dependent on at least one person who has to work on-site, and the hygiene/social distancing there will need looking at. I imagine the first few weeks back will be very odd but there will at least be a lot of us in the same boat, and I do have a project to do straightaway – five bikes that are ready and waiting to be tested and written about, which is about two weeks' work.

I was furloughed on April 9 and set myself a target of cycling 1000 miles by the end of May – I reached 1100 miles yesterday and I'm now aiming for 1400 miles; basically I'm up to about 230 miles a week, five or six rides between 30 and 50 miles, though I'm searching out quieter roads now that traffic is increasing heavily. Stay Alert? – Every single minute when you're cycling on country roads! The rides take in climbing rides, quicker rides, shorter fat-burning rides and so on. It has helped me keep both physically fit and mentally healthier than I've been in years. The lack of social contacts also means that I haven't had any colds/similar bugs, which I'm very prone to. And I have a killer cycling tan!

Oddly, there are very few things I miss, with charity shops and gigs perhaps the most prominent; I miss playing football much less than expected, which is good as I can't do it forever!

Hope everybody's well out there.

Mr Mischief

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
When I was hospitalised a few weeks ago I had to wear a mask, was on oxygen as well but it wasn't very easy to breathe properly.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Reaction score
I don't thank G-D have asthma myself, but I was told asthmatics can struggle to breathe properly with masks on.

If someone walks outdoors a long way from others then a mask is not neccesary, agree.

But I live in a suburban area of London...so when I go for a walk I see see people going into and coming out of the tube, going into shops etc
Define a "long way". If you are just briefly walking past people outdoors then I don't see masks as necessary, if you are describing busy pavements then perhaps, personally I'd avoid those areas, if possible.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Reaction score
When I was hospitalised a few weeks ago I had to wear a mask, was on oxygen as well but it wasn't very easy to breathe properly.
I'm sorry to hear that, are you asthmatic? I appreciate you have a condition that makes you vulnerable. I have virtually non-existent asthma, if I still have it at all. I had to fight to get a new inhaler and then was told to self isolate days later. Cheers, Doc.

Mr Mischief

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that, are you asthmatic? I appreciate you have a condition that makes you vulnerable. I have virtually non-existent asthma, if I still have it at all. I had to fight to get a new inhaler and then was told to self isolate days later. Cheers, Doc.
Got a rare genetic condition which causes all sorts of wonderful ailments including COPD. Was in for pneumonia with a side order of kidney stones. Was just uncomfortable having oxygen go in through my nose and then try and breathe though a fabric mask and this was just lying in a bed, I can understand an asthmatic walking around in a mask could be quite daunting on the old breathing front.

Last edited:

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
One of those advising the Government was quoted recently in the Telegraph when criticising the government for scaring people into following the given guidance. In his quote he stated the advice given was for one metre separation between people, and the risk of catching the virus out of doors was negligible.
Guidance in Europe was that you had to be working closely with someone for over 15 minutes to get sufficient viral load to succumb to the illness.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Now lockdown has eased a bit the noise level in my neighbourhood has increased about 500%

Even during lockdown it still wasn't quiet. The motorway and railway line are perhaps a mile and a half away as the crow flies and the sound carries and amplifies up the hill. The motorway is weirdly as loud as ever and the amount of goods trains seemed to increase. And of course the helicopters. So many.

Plus the continued cacophony of mowers, strimmers, chainsaws, power tools, hammering, delivery vans idling engines, people in the street and adjacent streets using their outside voices to have distanced conversations.... omg, not quiet!

And now people are allowed out more..... more of the same but with added traffic and shout chatting and I think, every light, pleasure aircraft in the south of England. Planes, gliders, microlights, more planes. Haven't seen a hot air balloon yet.....

And now the packs of teenagers. Don't really care about them swarming up, just do it quieter and smoke your weed where I can't smell it!

Urgh. Bored and grumpy.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
The already enormous Norfolk and Norwich hospital are building loads of new buildings in the grounds at the moment .. not just for Corona either I was told today (I had to visit there today), general expansion is in full swing, I hope anyone reading this will recognise this as a positive thing .. not temporary buildings either .. 5 stories high permanent stuff :badge:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The already enormous Norfolk and Norwich hospital are building loads of new buildings in the grounds at the moment .. not just for Corona either I was told today (I had to visit there today), general expansion is in full swing, I hope anyone reading this will recognise this as a positive thing .. not temporary buildings either .. 5 stories high permanent stuff :badge:
To house the not so "Normal For Norfolk" people?

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Define a "long way". If you are just briefly walking past people outdoors then I don't see masks as necessary, if you are describing busy pavements then perhaps, personally I'd avoid those areas, if possible.
A long way?

Not a precise measurement but "Being out of range of breath and sneezes."
i.e. in a park which is not crowded, or you see someone on the other side of a square shaped field which is about half an acre.

As opposed to what you wrote as "Crowded pavements" (Oxford Circus in rush hour) or in a sports stadium sitting in a block of seats with hundreds of people, moving past each other to get to seats or queueing for the bar etc.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Basically, yes ... The primary objective for recommending masks was to minimize droplets "going out" rather than stopping viruses "coming in." It requires a "professional" level mask to effectively filter out individual viruses.
Yes, but depending on what type of mask you wear you can minimize the amount of particles coming in and hence reduce the viral load you might be exposed to.

A surgical cloth mask will be of some use, but there are anti-microbial fibre cloth masks for sale which claim to filter 60% of harmful bacteria and virus particles.
These masks do not stop all nano particles getting in, nor do they claim to, but they do stop an amount of larger droplets such as from sneezes and coughs.

On balance I would prefer to wear one of these mask than not, especially as they are relatively affordable (£15-20) and can be washed for re-use.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I have made 2 different styled masks out of the only fabric I have to hand, Jersey cotton.

I doubt either would protect greatly but it might help against that twerp coughing in the co op.

Except. I can't wear it over my nose because it makes my glasses steam up. I've tried different ways, no good.

Anyone else have this problem- with proper masks?

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
I have made 2 different styled masks out of the only fabric I have to hand, Jersey cotton.

I doubt either would protect greatly but it might help against that twerp coughing in the co op.

Except. I can't wear it over my nose because it makes my glasses steam up. I've tried different ways, no good.

Anyone else have this problem- with proper masks?
N95/KN95 semi-disposable particle masks have a flexible metal strip embedded in the nose area so you can mould them around the nose, this stops the fogging issue (glasses wearer myself)

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
N95/KN95 semi-disposable particle masks have a flexible metal strip embedded in the nose area so you can mould them around the nose, this stops the fogging issue (glasses wearer myself)
What's your secret? The anti-pollution masks I used to wear here had a similar strip, but I still used to fog up. Still do, with paper and fabric masks (and it's thirty-plus over here, at the moment, as well, so why am I even fogging up?). The only solution I have found is to pull the upper edge of the mask up so that my glasses rest on the mask, not my cheeks. But then that gets uncomfortable, as well...