COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I know that gaping masks are pretty useless, but the ones offered at my workplace are standard droplet protection masks - only good for precautionary measures. They do not fit my face. I have to twist the elastic once before putting it on my ear in order to shorten the mask. This then causes gaps at the side. If I don't do this, then the mask moves up into my eye level or slides down past my mouth when talking. Nothing really works. And this is also why I have trouble trying to use my reading glasses and them fogging up with a mask

If someone we support came down with C19, then we would have to quarantine them to their bedroom and have to have N95 masks.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
They do not fit my face. I have to twist the elastic once before putting it on my ear in order to shorten the mask
Have you tried using one of those button-linkpiece things, mask fit-adapters knitted by well-meaning volunteers? I've NOT, but my SO has masses of them in a bag, therefore they must be of some usefulness (I'll post a pic later, unless you already know what I mean).

Also, as an improvised alternative to droplet/basic corrugulated 2-D flatmasks: I love the adaptive topological simplicity of DIY no-sew sockmasks (conceptually: I haven't used them, nor indeed any masks personally (outside of normal work) other than very-briefly where their token use was contextually-mandated)

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I’ve started to see face masks in the shops and have picked up a few although when I’m out, which is a very rare sight these days, I don’t see many people wearing them. I had a major birthday last week in the lockdown conditions and it wasn’t brilliant I have to admit.
I’ve largely given up on the daily death toll on the news. In fact, I’ve pretty much reached saturation point with the constant updates from the talking heads in front of bookcases. It looks like people have had enough and just want to get out. While the supermarkets have coped brilliantly keeping the shelves filled and the deliveries are getting out, I noticed a huge queue of cars at the local KFC. I’ve never thought of KFC as being that vital a resource but it shows a desperate social leaning towards some sort of normality. And then I wonder what effect all this is having on me. My body’s seizing up through lack of even the most basic exercise. Mentally, I’m not sure where I’m at. I don’t know whether my disengagement is a necessary filtering out of the relentless conflicting information and depressing statistics, or my brain is just turning to mush as part of a bigger health problem.
One thing I am pretty sure of. When this is over, things will be different and the effects will last a long time. Maybe some things will change for the better. MOST people are politely lining up and obeying the rules. Maybe we’ll drop the attitude of mad consumerism and instant gratification and prioritise the more important things in life.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I’ve started to see face masks in the shops and have picked up a few although when I’m out, which is a very rare sight these days, I don’t see many people wearing them. I had a major birthday last week in the lockdown conditions and it wasn’t brilliant I have to admit.
I’ve largely given up on the daily death toll on the news. In fact, I’ve pretty much reached saturation point with the constant updates from the talking heads in front of bookcases. It looks like people have had enough and just want to get out. While the supermarkets have coped brilliantly keeping the shelves filled and the deliveries are getting out, I noticed a huge queue of cars at the local KFC. I’ve never thought of KFC as being that vital a resource but it shows a desperate social leaning towards some sort of normality. And then I wonder what effect all this is having on me. My body’s seizing up through lack of even the most basic exercise. Mentally, I’m not sure where I’m at. I don’t know whether my disengagement is a necessary filtering out of the relentless conflicting information and depressing statistics, or my brain is just turning to mush as part of a bigger health problem.
One thing I am pretty sure of. When this is over, things will be different and the effects will last a long time. Maybe some things will change for the better. MOST people are politely lining up and obeying the rules. Maybe we’ll drop the attitude of mad consumerism and instant gratification and prioritise the more important things in life.
Happy Birthday!

I noticed a huge queue of cars at the local KFC.

I misread that as a huge queue of cats!

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Losing the woman who ran my mum's local corner shop is disastrous. She looked out for my mum. Different cultures, different colored skin. Lovely woman - it never bothered her or my mum - they'd like a natter. My mum is devastated. Another unknown statistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Losing the woman who ran my mum's local corner shop is disastrous. She looked out for my mum. Different cultures, different colored skin. Lovely woman - it never bothered her or my mum - they'd like a natter. My mum is devastated. Another unknown statistic.
Sorry to hear about your Mum's friend NF X. My big Sister had a bit of a cry of the phone to me yesterday which is healthy as fuck but rare for her .. she didn't want to call me back when I gently suggested it .. so wanted to 'man' up instead which I got so she kept talking instead. Feimann's currently doing a painting of her which I've asked her to leave to her kids eventually so they can continue to kick ass in the family name. Swiftys don't surrender.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Mum's friend NF X. My big Sister had a bit of a cry of the phone to me yesterday which is healthy as fuck but rare for her .. she didn't want to call me back when I gently suggested it .. so wanted to 'man' up instead which I got so she kept talking instead. Feimann's currently doing a painting of her which I've asked her to leave to her kids eventually so they can continue to kick ass in the family name. Swiftys don't surrender.
So she's not dying??

Us lot need a bit off space, days off, holidays. Swifty, SWIFTY'S SISTER! me, etc, have carried on working in very weird times. I think we've done an amazing job. I am so tired though - I could do with just a rest.

Swifty

Reaction score
So she's not dying??

Us lot need a bit off space, days off, holidays. Swifty, SWIFTY'S SISTER! me, etc, have carried on working in very weird times. I think we've done an amazing job. I am so tired though - I could do with just a rest.
My Sister isn't .. my Mum's not doing well hence my Sister's tears on the phone. Nothing virus related though. Have that rest my typically contrary but hard working brother X .. there's always women's tits as well .. women's tits are brilliant .. close your eyes and think of tits.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
We're doing pretty well, just ginormously fatter than before.

Given that Mr AJ was in hospital, fighting for his life and health this time last year, and the fact that he is now recovered and as annoying as ever is f****** brilliant and means that 2020 is still better that 2019.

We're allowed to go to that seaside and go fishing now, so I am looking forward to my first dangle of the year :) We're lucky in that it's pretty close and it can be managed without mixing with any grockles.

I just have to make sure I don't get mistaken for a lost baleen whale and harpooned as I am so massive at the moment.

Ogdred Weary

Endless Not
Reaction score
My Sister isn't .. my Mum's not doing well hence my Sister's tears on the phone. Nothing virus related though. Have that rest my typically contrary but hard working brother X .. there's always women's tits as well .. women's tits are brilliant .. close your eyes and think of tits.
Sorry to hear about your mum, Swifty, big hugs.

Also what about my tits? I had to work hard to grow them, unlike women who just sit around waiting for puberty... actually, I did a fair bit of siting around to grow mine...but the point still stands.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
Bra headgear from nearly 40yrs ago....

That uber-Fortean film "Weird Science" 1985....shortly before they enanimate Barbie. That was *such* an excellent movie....

('Bra' as in brassiere. And kind-of brå(w) in both Svenskespråket and Scots)

Swifty

Reaction score

Also what about my tits? I had to work hard to grow them, unlike women who just sit around waiting for puberty... actually, I did a fair bit of siting around to grow mine...but the point still stands.
Sorry Oggy, that's a good point .. *tickles the Odmiesters tits*

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score

That's because you spend too much time thinking about tits.

Swifty

Reaction score
I understand.

My aura can get quite brilliant at times. May I suggest old style welder's goggles; very steam punk.

;)
Anything that works at the moment mate lol.