COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Fanari_Lloyd

Devoted Cultist
We’re fine. This has come at a really strange time. I lost my dear mother late Feb after a long, tough battle with cancer, and was reeling from that (because you always hope for a miracle even when you know there won’t be one) and the funeral (and some people didn’t come due to being vulnerable which was fine. My mother wouldn’t worry about that!) and after 2/3 years of all that constant stress and grief I so wanted to go away, just somewhere in the UK, somewhere quiet, to take stock and just be away fro that bubble of illness and worry. And, ho-hum, we can’t. And I completely agree with not fleeing away to remote places to escape the virus and putting pressure on rural communities. It is what it is, so just have to get on with it.

It’s worse for my mum’s partner, who is now rattling around with most of her things still in the house. His daughter is about to have a baby and he wanted to go up and see her (she’s in Wales) which would give him something else to focus on, but he decided not to a while back, because: possible risk. But we’re far from the only people in this situation.

I’m not particularly ‘social’, and work from home so it’s not that bad. Panic shopping though...that’s depressing.

My thoughts are with everyone.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Safely-distant virtual hugs for you, @Fanari_Lloyd . Sorry for what you've been through (and still going through).

We are working from home now. Which is a blessed relief not coming into contact with others who might have been who-knows-anywhere when we're doing our best to stay in at home (we haven't been anywhere since Friday, when we ventured out for shopping).

I will admit that as the days go by I am beginning to get a sort of agoraphobic feeling which I hope doesn't get too bad (I know its probably a side effect of my anxiety). Especially when we are separated. Mr Zebra went out to post a letter this morning and I was glad when he was back inside the house, worried in case he came into contact with anyone (luckily he didn't).

Don't know what we're going to do food-wise if we're made to stay in for a lengthy period but I don't have any desire to go out anywhere further than our own property at the moment, and thankfully no one really visits so that's okay. If we get any post we wipe it down and then wash our hands, same with the food we managed to get on Friday.

We spent some of the weekend out in the back garden and did a bit of gardening and planted some flower seeds. That was nice.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Safely-distant virtual hugs for you, @Fanari_Lloyd . Sorry for what you've been through (and still going through).

We are working from home now. Which is a blessed relief not coming into contact with others who might have been who-knows-anywhere when we're doing our best to stay in at home (we haven't been anywhere since Friday, when we ventured out for shopping).

I will admit that as the days go by I am beginning to get a sort of agoraphobic feeling which I hope doesn't get too bad (I know its probably a side effect of my anxiety). Especially when we are separated. Mr Zebra went out to post a letter this morning and I was glad when he was back inside the house, worried in case he came into contact with anyone (luckily he didn't).

Don't know what we're going to do food-wise if we're made to stay in for a lengthy period but I don't have any desire to go out anywhere further than our own property at the moment, and thankfully no one really visits so that's okay. If we get any post we wipe it down and then wash our hands, same with the food we managed to get on Friday.

We spent some of the weekend out in the back garden and did a bit of gardening and planted some flower seeds. That was nice.
Id feel better if I could garden but it's fing snowing.

Fanari_Lloyd

Devoted Cultist
My sister is in a rural part of Wales and is now frightened as she cannot in any way order home shopping and has no car. I know all the stores are recruiting, but if you’re in some cottage far from anywhere, with no transport and no local shop, it will be incredibly panic-inducing.

The Covid Mutual Aid groups are incredible though. I assume they’ll be classed as people ‘caring’ for others, even if just dropping off something from a safe distance? Some of the posts are heartbreaking, with people just wanting a few toilet rolls for older people.

https://covidmutualaid.org/local-groups/

Thank you all. :)

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible

@Fanari_Lloyd I also send my condolences, so sorry to hear of your recent loss.

To our striped friend - I know that of which you speak :) But I get a 'what if?' wave and then it passes, and I carry on. Feel the fear and do it anyway is something I try to live by. I'm on a fairly high dose of SSNRI & Tetracyclic ADs to stay stable and am pretty good at the moment.

Nothing shoots my anxiety out of the way faster than a 'real' emergency, and apart from the occasional 'wave' I am in proper girl guide mode!

A practical tip - for food shopping try the places like B&M bargains, Poundland and Farm Foods, all had good stock locally here :) Farm shops are great for enormous sacks of spuds and eggs.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Like I mentioned over there on the other thread, we've now progressed to total loss of taste and smell.
Sounds like you may well have it. Do you also have any of the other symptoms - feverish, dry cough, short of breath? How are you feeling generally - people report feeling knackered with it. Hope your symptoms are not too bad - keep us posted. It'll be interesting for the rest of us to hear from an actual sufferer who's [presumably & hopefully] not in the 'danger' category.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Tried to ring the surgery to get a prescription this morning but it was apparently congested on that line and I was advised to try again later.
Probably everyone is worried they won't be able to get their medications as some come from overseas.
Mine comes from Greece.
Put my request in for my inhaler script a few days ago and it came through very quickly but when I went to Boots today there was a queue of people waiting out in the street, I couldn't be bothered to go and investigate but it looked as though they were only letting in one customer at a time.
I know it's not this simple but I've always thought they should make inhalers (and other certain medicines) easier/faster to obtain, as in you should be able to ask for them as an over-the-counter medicine if they have you on a set list.

brownmane

off kilter
As mentioned by many here, this is certainly anxiety inducing times. I realized several days ago that I have to limit my exposure to any viral related news, but step in every couple of days just to keep informed. I quit regulary watching tv news years ago due to some anxiety issues.

I kind of figured out the other day, that part of my reaction to the matter may relate back to growing up in the 70's with the threat of nuclear war being so prominent. I had, as a kid, considered what I would rather do if we were nuked - would I go into a bunker and possibly have to wait for unknown amount of time and no knowledge of what circumstances were above, or would I just stay above and take the consequences? I decided that if I had a choice, I would choose to stay above and possibly die horribly rather than sit afraid in a bunker. Don't know what that says about me, but these last couple of weeks, I realized that I am still that person. I personally want to get the virus over and done with so that I know what it is, how long and how sick I would be instead of sitting in my house staring at four walls and slowly going crazy.

Last week I was feeling anxious and felt like I was running around in circles with nothing really accomplished. This week, I'm just sitting with what comes, comes. I have done and am doing what I need to do. I may eat all of my extra food in two days, and have really odd meal choices for the rest of the time before I can restock. There is nothing else I can do. It is a virus, nothing that I can see nor say "halt, stay away".

I had a few days last week with what I think was a mild flu (contracted from work), but am fine now. I just want the weather to warm up and be sunny so that I can go out to my yard.

Take care everyone. Every day I am amazed that this is a worldwide experience.

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Getting a bit worried about my friend, haven't heard from him since last week and he's not replying to me. He's not the most forthcoming of people, so I hope he's just too pissed off about the crisis to speak.
Speaking of which, I'm worried for @tuco . He mentioned he was in an at-risk group. And he has gone uncharacteristically quiet. No response to my PM, either.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
It';s the uncertainty I believe that triggers the anxiety, which also comes in waves for me. We are so adverse to "not-knowing". I am also interested in hearing reports from those who have "been through" the experience. I think this is grasping at some pretense of control.

At least I picked up some ice cream last time I shopped - which seemed to be in good supply along with the whole wheat pasta and uninteresting vegetables. I don't know if you have canned okra over there.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
RE: tuco

He hasn't visited since 10 March, and he's elected to NOT receive email notifications of new incoming PMs.

Krepostnoi: Check your InBox ...

Victory

Abominable Snowman
It';s the uncertainty I believe that triggers the anxiety, which also comes in waves for me. We are so adverse to "not-knowing". I am also interested in hearing reports from those who have "been through" the experience. I think this is grasping at some pretense of control.

At least I picked up some ice cream last time I shopped - which seemed to be in good supply along with the whole wheat pasta and uninteresting vegetables. I don't know if you have canned okra over there.
We have fresh okra.
I think it's great for putting in stews/casseroles to thicken the sauce.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I hate to click "Like' when people are reporting virus symptoms. I mean to say I like them and wish them a speedy recovery!

I wish a speedy recovery to those I have not "liked" as well! I just don't read all threads. No excuse not to now, though . . . :btime:
'like' away then as I'm now on 14 days' quarantine!

Had a cough for a few days but woke up with it much worse today. Rang in sick (didn't need telling) and my lovely boss, who has always been supportive, sternly told me to take the 2 weeks and listen to advice and not go out. I was trying to talk with him then but had a big coughing fit and all I could gasp out was an exasperated 'For FUCK'S sake!'
I'd held the phone away from my face but he probably heard me.

INT21

Antediluvian
I hope that isn't a permanent side effect.
Hope you are otherwise OK, Carlos.
Carlos,

Get checked out.

Not the kind of thing you want to hear, but last night I watched an interview it some one who had contracted the virus (and who is apparently functioning normally) and her first symptoms were loss of taste and smell.

Didn't want to post this, but I thought it best you should know.

INT21.

gerhard1

Abominable Snowman
My lovely wife and I are sheltering in place, and not going out much. We live in a remote part of Oklahoma so we're reasonably safe as long as we use common sense. Yesterday we went to one of our local WalMarts hoping to get some canned goods and the only thing I got was some orange sauce, low-sodium soy sauce and some beer. I had never seen the shelves so bare at WalMart before, and it was disturbing.

It's not nearly as bad at our local grocers, We live about equidistant from two other small towns one in Kansas, and the other in Oklahoma, and the store in Oklahoma is limiting purchases of some items. For some reason, there is a run on toilet tissue over here and folks are panic-buying it.

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
My parents were due to move into our UK house tomorrow. We wanted them in a place where we knew they'd be secure from evictions, rent hikes etc. The removal firm has just cancelled on them. I suppose it's fair enough - removal men need to stay safe, too - but, bloody hell, it's frustrating. Meanwhile, they're sat surrounded by tea chests etc, wondering what the hell to do.

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
So I have been on a very steep learning curve - getting to grips with teaching classes online (via Zoom) and, with so little time to prepare, having to learn it while doing it. I have done some classes this way already and they were kind of okay. The trouble is quite a lot of students just don't want to be taught online - some insist on seeing me, and others just fall off the radar. I suppose this is a kind of back handed compliment, but I am losing classes this way fast, and hence my livelihood. And the irony is, is that we get paid less for these online classes too- even though most of us find them much more challenging (and vexing) than what we're used to.

Here in Moscow we're kind of at where the UK was a few weeks back - being nudged to take precautions but by no means in lockdown.Many businesses have gone onto teleworking, including (as said) my own school - as much as we can within the parameters of demand, and state schools are shut outright,but shops, cafes and bars are still doing business and it would be possible to imagine that nothing really has happened but for the fact that about a quarter of the population is going about in masks.

And there are heat imaging cameras set up in many of the Metro entrances and spivs are touting antiseptic washes for 100 roubles a throw in the underpasses. I have have not seen much panic buying comparable to that I'm hearing about in the West. The main item that vanishes off the shelves is gretchka (a kind of cheap and nutritious buckwheat that is very commonly used in Russian cuisine).

Only the other day, my klandlord turned up and I held out my hand to do a fist-bump but it turned into a handshake. (Handshakes between men is a very common and habitual form of greeting and they just can't seem to renounce it).

But I am doing my own little bit to at least not hinder things. I wash my hands regularly with vodka. I try to minimise my use of the Metro (to the point where I took a two hour hike through the city to get into work today) and I'm grumpily complying with the demand for online options.

But... this demand for self-isolation!! Now then. I'm a very very introverted single guy. (Possibly aspergic). My problem is, and has always been one of isolation. Asking me to self isolate is like telling someone in a wheelchair to `sit down`.

I could all too easily self-isolate were it not for the need to make some kind of living - and for my own occasional hunger for very specific human contact. I am in the habit of sharing a drink with a close colleague once or twice a week. That really is my only human contact, unless you include my lessons. Am I supposed to give that up too? If my extrovert mate texts me and says `Beer tonight` - which he routinely does - am I supposed to say `Ooooh, no! we've got to protect the human race from infection!`

Bloody hell, Zeke, that sounds awful. I'm really sorry to hear it. FWIW, I'd rather be destitute in the UK than in Russia, especially with no family or friendship network around me. You and I both know that social and family capital is what gets Russians through the - seemingly endless - difficult times. Best of luck, whatever you decide.
Yeah, I totally take your point but the brute fact is that here I have a source of income. In the UK I don't. My parents are very elderly and in no position to put me up (which would be a bad idea anyway) and staying nwith my brother would be very dicey - for a whole load of reasons.It's all very well to talk aboiut the need for family network, etc - but economics tends to trump that.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
One minor possible positive to maybe emerge from this current crisis seems to be the reliability of smaller, closer, independent shops. Corner shops, Mom'n'Pop stores, local farms selling produce etc., when the big mega-supermarkets are still panic-stricken.

A lesson for all of us - community networks often work better than corporate structures.