COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Mr Mischief

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Until recently, I've been 'organising' customers .. asking them to remember to stay 2 metres apart, telling them how the movement flows inside the place, where to stand etc etc .. and I was waiting for one person to say "Erm .. but why are most of the staff here standing close together then?".. and that person would have had a good point, the virus doesn't care what job title someone's been given. It's been a tricky situation for everyone, me and ****** were confronted my a women standing in the queue outside when we walked in after a smoke break .. "Excuse me, there's a queue" .. so ****** smiled at her in a friendly way and explained "Yes we know, we work here and we're going back inside." .. the woman apologised to us and I said "Thank you though, we don't want queue jumpers, you're right!" .. she looked embarrassed bless her heart lol .. I enjoyed waving the NHS through the side entrance though.
You need a 5000 volt cattle prod.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
"A FULL BLADDER is also required for the examination. Please drink at least two pints of fluid 1 hour before your examination... Please do not go to the toilet until after the examination".
What if I can't hold it in though...
What if I'm left in the waiting room for ages...
Even more disconcerting, what if during the examination, I simply can't hold fire any longer...o_O
I drunk my litre of water and then emptied my bladder before leaving for the hospital, because I KNEW it would be full again after a 5 mile scooter ride and the appointment would be delayed. The young woman stting next to me couldn't hold out and was allowed to half empty her bladder before the examination. When my turn came I waddled into the room and gingerly sat down with a grunt -"that's just the sound I wanted to hear !" said the lady Waterworks Doctor approvingly.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
You need a 5000 volt cattle prod.
My sex life is covered thanks .. and you've just reminded me of a co worker who stated to me he wanted a 2 meters distance taser you use against our customers in week 1 .. 'accidentally' forgotten to stay a safe distance away from us? .. again ? .. zap ... repeatedly saying "sorry" while pushing in front of all of us? zap ..

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
An interesting thread to say the least.

Me and family have stuck with the lockdown. So many people surrounding me have not - ever. What pisses us off the most is how blatant they are at doing so, it feels like they think off us as the school swot or teachers pet.

i have two chronic illnesses and had hospital consultations cancelled. However , I behave myself , not just for me and my family but for the good of society at large.

i have genuinely realised during all this that i'm far less a selfish personthan i thought.

I have lost a close family member to the virus, and god knows how my body would cope. When i have to reopen my shop i'll be risking all and probably making very little money.

Anyway, forgive my blethers, i am heartily sick of lockdown moaners and apologists and conspiracy theorists.
Even though I disagree with the lockdown I've stuck to the rules. Because I might be wrong.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I had an actual face to (distanced) face proper conversation with a real human being today!! First since early March!. I met a woman on my walk in the woods and we got talking about trees, birds, wildflowers, etc. It was lovely!

Fanari_Lloyd

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
My oldest uncle died Sunday morning. His organs were failing, basically (he had cancer and it wasn’t curable but could be treated, but the drugs took their toll) So he was taken to hospital and must have contracted COVID there, as he had been shielding and he and my aunt had seen no-one save his carer for 2 months. (Or possibly the carer?) He went into a coma and died peacefully.

Even more sadly, because he and my aunt moved to Brittany about 25 years ago, she’s now there alone and her kids can’t go and see her or attend their father’s funeral.
So many sad stories this year. But to be on your own when someone you love dies must be unbelievably awful, and I’m sure that has been the case for a lot of people, like my mother’s partner.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My oldest uncle died Sunday morning. His organs were failing, basically (he had cancer and it wasn’t curable but could be treated, but the drugs took their toll) So he was taken to hospital and must have contracted COVID there, as he had been shielding and he and my aunt had seen no-one save his carer for 2 months. (Or possibly the carer?) He went into a coma and died peacefully.

Even more sadly, because he and my aunt moved to Brittany about 25 years ago, she’s now there alone and her kids can’t go and see her or attend their father’s funeral.
So many sad stories this year. But to be on your own when someone you love dies must be unbelievably awful, and I’m sure that has been the case for a lot of people, like my mother’s partner.
So sorry to hear this, Fanari_Lloyd.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score

This is so sad. Sorry to hear about this.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

My condolences, take care.

Swifty

Reaction score

Sorry to hear that Fanari and love to you and yours at the moment ..

Crankyoldgit62

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Morning, can't sleep, as you can see. Got home from my job at 11.00 last night, got to bed watched a bit of tv and somehow something made me think of the problems with my next door neighbour and that was it.... Couldn't get back to sleep. I having quite a lot of trouble coping with this Covid 19 shit( sorry for swearing, but there might be more), it's just getting me down. I work at a major airport in the UK and we've had rumours of voluntary redundancies going around, people furloughing and getting 80% of their pay. I don't really want redundancy, as I've just got under 2 years till I'm 60, where the hell would I get a job if I have to take it? It's like we ready to give up and lie down.

Then there's the riots in London and across the country and in the USA..... It's like someone has already lit the bloody fuse and just waiting for the bang!!!!

Sorry for my rant and rave but it's so frustrating when to me if feels nothing is being done to stop it.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... Sorry for my rant and rave but it's so frustrating when to me if feels nothing is being done to stop it.
No need to be apologetic ... These are trying times that leave us with little choice except to ride it out. The uncertainty is the worst part ...

Crankyoldgit62

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Cheers, EG. It was just nice to get it off my chest. Anyho..... Didn't get much of a sleep. Have to have 40 winks on the tube to work. Keep safe.

Swifty

Reaction score
Cheers, EG. It was just nice to get it off my chest. Anyho..... Didn't get much of a sleep. Have to have 40 winks on the tube to work. Keep safe.
If you're that close to retirement age and you do lose your job, consider charity shop work .. the job centre will explain how they can support you if you chose that route so you'd keep receiving money .. a safety net approach .. and I hope you have a good day at work. (plus you'd get to buy cool stuff from your own shop before anyone else sees it)

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
If you're that close to retirement age and you do lose your job, consider charity shop work .. the job centre will explain how they can support you if you chose that route so you'd keep receiving money .. a safety net approach .. and I hope you have a good day at work. (plus you'd get to buy cool stuff from your own shop before anyone else sees it)
Yes, charity shops will be in trouble as many of their volunteers are over 70. One of my bus friends works in one and she said she was the only person under 70 there so I am not sure what will happen when they open up again.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Morning, can't sleep, as you can see. Got home from my job at 11.00 last night, got to bed watched a bit of tv and somehow something made me think of the problems with my next door neighbour and that was it.... Couldn't get back to sleep. I having quite a lot of trouble coping with this Covid 19 shit( sorry for swearing, but there might be more), it's just getting me down. I work at a major airport in the UK and we've had rumours of voluntary redundancies going around, people furloughing and getting 80% of their pay. I don't really want redundancy, as I've just got under 2 years till I'm 60, where the hell would I get a job if I have to take it? It's like we ready to give up and lie down.

Then there's the riots in London and across the country and in the USA..... It's like someone has already lit the bloody fuse and just waiting for the bang!!!!

Sorry for my rant and rave but it's so frustrating when to me if feels nothing is being done to stop it.
It all does seem a bit overwhelming recently doesn’t it?

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score

I am sorry to hear you've lost your uncle, my condolences.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I've just returned from the High Street of my little flyspeck town. Moribund before the C19 panic, it's now even more like a ghost town.

Amusingly, if you shop at the discount chemist or bank with the building society, it's: "One at a time, queue outside, 2 Euroweenies apart!", with harangue-y staff to enforce the rules.

If, however, your browsing leads you to the independent hardware shop or WH Smith, no-one seems to care whether you live or die.

It seems that chemical dependency and financial solvency are to be bred for; while literacy and skill with tools are to be allowed to die out.

:rollingw:

maximus otter

Last edited:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
...........WH Smith, no-one seems to care whether you live or die
I've felt like that in WH Smith before the C19 came along!
Hasn't WH Smith got a thread all of it's own anyway, on account of it being such a bizarre place???

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I have to say that with my rotten day yesterday and with the general run of news I'm finding it very hard not to fall back into full blown depression.
Take care, don't let it get you down. Start taking steps to lodge a small claims court case. Contact the citizen's advice bureau. Get out for a walk.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I have to say that with my rotten day yesterday and with the general run of news I'm finding it very hard not to fall back into full blown depression.
Yeah. I saw your news. What an almighty suck. Don’t let it be the straw that breaks the back though. Stop watching the news.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Yeah. I saw your news. What an almighty suck. Don’t let it be the straw that breaks the back though. Stop watching the news.
Even looking at my avatar is currently upsetting me. Everything seems to have broken since that picture was taken.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Even looking at my avatar is currently upsetting me. Everything seems to have broken since that picture was taken.
That’s not misreading the situation. Everything is pretty much broken. But maybe things will turn out better. This forum’s helping, I have o say.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yo

No need for the apology. You should have heard my, er, 'interaction; with car drivers a couple of days ago - the drivers are back and they've forgotten the rules of the road. So there were several tirades of swear words.

I've generally been pretty good during the crisis but like you I can't really afford to made redundant (a few years' time, yes, but not yet) though I have officially asked to go back to work part-time when my furlough's over, if I have a job that is. (In an office overlooking the plinth that used to host Edward Colston's statue.)

And yesterday morning I woke at 6am from a nightmare (very rare for me) and slept very poorly last night, unusual for me recently. These are troubling times, and I think most of us here have heard the occasional cuss word in our lives! I used to work in an office that had three people who could swear loudly and often – one woman, one very loud Yorkshireman. Some of their conversations would have been little but bleeps on prime-time telly.

Hope things work out.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Can't really afford to buy a place of my own and don't want to move from my rented flat, but circumstances are such that this is the only time in my life I have the option - something with a garden or at least somewhere to sit out during lock-down. I think I've cracked. Have two viewings on Saturday.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I feel low today.

It would have been my 53rd wedding anninversary if I hadn't divorced him, and if he hadn't died five years ago!

I live on my own, so I've spoken to no-one except to say "Thanks" , briefly, in our local Co-op. (And yes, of course I've spoken to the cats!)

I'm drinking Pimms and lemonade so shouldn't be risking posting at all, probably.:(

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel low today.

It would have been my 53rd wedding anninversary if I hadn't divorced him, and if he hadn't died five years ago!

I live on my own, so I've spoken to no-one except to say "Thanks" , briefly, in our local Co-op. (And yes, of course I've spoken to the cats!)

I'm drinking Pimms and lemonade so shouldn't be risking posting at all, probably.:(
You have cats--this is not rock-bottom!

And Pimms!

Speak to us here. We like it.