COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Just joined the message board, just found this forum.

I'll begin by a preamble, of what happened to me up to the present. Please have patience. If you're not bored and looking for something to read, proceed to the *** mark. Ithangyew.

The story so far ...
Wife and I run a small business & shop. In Feb, for my birthday, she treated me to 5 days in Rome! I'd not been abroad since I was a young teen and I'd always wanted to go to Rome in particular. Had a really great time (pictures, boring to strangers, available). Were scanned by thermal camera arriving in Italy, but arrived back in Manchester Airport and hard-to-spot notices to (paraphrase) be on the look-out for cold and 'flu symptoms. My wife had been sat next to a young lady, sniffing and nose-blowing with a cold! Two days back and t'wife got a cold. Managed to get a test in local hospital, found negative ... it was just a cold. *phew*
Watched with mounting apprehension as the virus expanded it's operation and a government who (while great with populism, not so hot on decisive, authoritative action) 'um'ed and 'ah'ed and sort of obliquely mentioned lock-down. It was on the cards. We shut our shop doors and, because it turned out that my wife was in the 'at risk' group, initiated our own lock-down, with no family visits, essential shopping only, with masks used, and so on. Luckily, we have a thriving online shop. A local council grant plus a payment for our self-employment income has kept us going.

Now ...
We live in a bit of a seaside tourist spot. Yep, we've seen day-trippers and caravan and holiday home owners thinking 'lock down didn't apply to them'. We've heard one couple commenting that they wondered why so many shops were shut; this was 2 weeks ago! Our town needs visitors and all the business owners here are eager to open but with great trepidation. For one reason or another, our community (which has a large elderly population) has dodged the bullet. So far. We've had infections but no death. Again, so far.
We have had to open, to pay bills, to earn money. My wife is still immuno-compromised, so the protective measures we've put in place are strictly adhered to. Willingly so.
Can't guarantee for our customers, though. Daily, we see complacency and stupidity. It breaks our heart to think of all we've gone through - as a town - to see folks think it's all over and back to our jolly holidays. All I can say - to my wife and to anyone else - is that you can only be responsible for your own actions, your own safety. Minimise the risk. Suggest or recommend to others but try not to despair for those who don't see a problem, who think it's all over. You can't force people to look after themselves but you can reduce the risk to yourselves and your loved-ones.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
On Monday night I thought I was a goner, thought I had the virus somehow despite all my precautions. Wiped me out (still a bit weak and wobbly now) but I think it was food poisoning that was exacerbated by the stress of being convinced I was a goner. Anyway, back to "normality"...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
On Monday night I thought I was a goner, thought I had the virus somehow despite all my precautions. Wiped me out (still a bit weak and wobbly now) but I think it was food poisoning that was exacerbated by the stress of being convinced I was a goner. Anyway, back to "normality"...
Oh dear! Glad to hear you're getting back to normal.

Mr Mischief

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Pretty much how I felt in hospital with the ole pneumonia a couple of months back, 3 old fellas drop dead and I was just waiting to get lobbed in the 'normal' hospital trolley that caters for the recently departed. I shield myself every winter as it is and I'm not sure I'm going to stop shielding anytime soon. My car is my only escape from the house nowadays, it used to be my motorbike but those days are gone now. Not sure if it's even worth having a car now, might as just as well live in the house and not bother with the rest of the world. And all the protests going on, no social distancing at all, apparently selfish twats lives matter but not anyone elses. Fuck the World.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
You are a V.I.N.CENT model so so you're bound to feel crappy now and then.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
It's the 'aggressively in denial' people who were starting to break my spirit (and my co workers) over the last three months .. they'd storm up to people on purpose to prove there's no virus .. I almost twatted a couple of them but held back, not only did I not want to get the sack for, well, punching a customer in the face but more importantly, you could cut the atmosphere of anxiety and paranoia with a knife so if one fight kicked off? .. you're likely to get an outpouring of repressed fear and anger like a tidal wave .. and also get the sack ..

The 'genuinely confused' and 'momentarily forgetful' I could handle and forgive .. I've like to award a huge raised middle finger award to the arsehole who came up with the cunning plan of just saying sorry a lot .. this prick deliberately got right into my face with a fake cheerful "sorry" because he didn't want to wait ... then did exactly the same thing to two of our customers immediately afterwards. I overheard his more sensible Son tell him off "You can't just keep walking into people and saying sorry!" ..

genex17

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
When this all started back in March, tests were limited to those who were very sick and there was a two-week backlog before results couuld be confirmed. Went for a routine blood draw on the 14th, and they offered a "Abbott SARS-CoV-2 igg antibody test" 4 days later, it came back

NEGATIVE! 3 million have been tested so far, 167,000 are positive for the state of California.

Hope to keep up the good work.

No...they don't have a Costello SARS-CoV-2 igg antibody test, so I went with Abbott, who was on first.

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
"NEGATIVE!"

Not sure whether to say commiserations or congratulations.

Personally, I hope my test will be positive and that those odd flu-like symptoms I had back in April have left me with some antibodies and hopefully a degree of immunity to copping a second dose.

genex17

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Negative is good, that's because Positive can result anywhere from mild symptoms to lung and kidney damage. The luck if the draw.

But anyway if Positive means you once had it and are better off, you are ahead of the game. Let us know.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I phoned on Friday to book a hair appointment and was able to get one for June 25th. I've been pulling my hair back in a pony tail for the past few months. Customers are required to wear a mask, not surprisingly. I was also told to arrive with my hair freshly washed because the stylist wouldn't be washing it.
Ooh lucky you! I have mine for June 30th.

Mr Mischief

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
My great niece (2 and a half) descended on the house today. I don't know where to begin. My request for her to be disinfected in a bucket of Dettol was vetoed. The 2 border collies went stark staring mad with joy at having an extra source of treats in the house and my beardie who loves kids for some reason went totally barmy in her viv. Beardie was easy to sort as she comes out for a couple of hours every day anyway, well so I thought, she decided to go walkabout to find the grubby little child. Then I get bombarded with toddler chat and I'd only had 1 coffee and was letting my meds kick in. Any fool knows it takes at least 3 caffeine infusions for me to even resemble a human being, no friggin chance of that before I get assailed today. The only upside is that Amazon delivered my new whisker trimmers and 2 bottles of Jose Cuervo I ordered for my birthday next week. The way I feel right now I may need to get another 2 litres before next Friday. Please bring on the next lockdown, I just can't cope anymore :eek:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Yesterday, my boss gave me a new face mask, all in a very nice presentation case. I've only just looked at it now and noted the spec. It's got a military grade N99 filter that can handle bacteria and (get this) viruses. Boss has shares in the mask company (Cambridge Mask Company), so he got them at cost.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Yesterday, my boss gave me a new face mask, all in a very nice presentation case. I've only just looked at it now and noted the spec. It's got a military grade N99 filter that can handle bacteria and (get this) viruses. Boss has shares in the mask company (Cambridge Mask Company), so he got them at cost.
And that’s usually how supervillains start their nefarious public hypno Gadget mind plans.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Feeling a bit down. Was having hope with restrictions being eased that Probus might be able to meet soon. Also perhaps go on our postponed trip late October.
However because of new cases restrictions here in Victoria have been kept till mid next month and probably extended if more new cases come.
At least was able to celebrate Grandson's 3rd birthday yesterday.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Thankyou brownmane, yes it was nice to see him so excited.
He's apparently still playing with the bat cave I gave him.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just completed the DHS home antibody test and questionnaire.

Very simple to complete (if you don't mind jabbing your finger with a lancet).

Quite disappointed that I tested negative.

I guess it was just a dose of man-flu I experienced a month or so back.

Will now be extra careful about distancing and unnecessary contact.

The_Discordian

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Hello! I'm not new here, exactly, but I've been lurking for a *long* time.

I can;t really complain too much about the lockdown experience so far, at least in comparison to some of the nightmare scenarios other people have been in. I'm long-term unemployed, so my financial situation hasn't really been hit, and I'm quarantining at my mum's house rather than in my flat, which has no internet or outside space. I go to the flat a couple of times a month just to pick up post, top up the electric, and collect stuff from the newsagent, but it's only a few miles away and a nice walk in decent weather. And my social life pre-lockdown was pretty much dead anyway, so no great burden.

I'm getting anxious now, though. I have to go to the flat tomorrow, and the entrance to my building is right next to a general store almost opposite the beach - said beach having apparently been ridiculously busy the last few days, so the shop will probably be being used by a lot of idiots who don't care about social distancing. And I now have to pick my magazines up from said shop, the newsagent having closed for good because of the pandemic.

It's going to have to be a first thing in the morning job, really.

Anyway, sorry. Rambling.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
First thing in the morning sounds good. Lots of handwashing and hygiene and I think you'll be fine. There is possible not much covid actually circulating at the moment so you should be okay. A month or two's time I am not so sure but at the moment you have a good chance of being fine. But if you feel anxious and you need to vent please use this thread. It's a good supportive one, I have found.