COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Why are the pubs opening before the churches? .. I already know the answer btw .. rhetorical question.
Churches have mostly been 'open' online. My Mum's church does a stream from their website.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Churches are open they're just not allowed to sing and crowd the place
They're not yet where I live but the pubs open tonight .. probably this lunchtime? ..

Today is ironically, although almost exclusively only celebrated in the States, the 4th of July .. this scene from JAWS describes today in England perfectly tbh .. because the dickhead mayor was only worried about losing the 4th of July income and tourist trade .. we need Quint, Brody and Hooper! .. it'll all be fine! .. go back into the pubs! ..

(there's a few political mash up spoofs that I obviously won't be linking to here)

On the plus side, a newly formed UK government organisation is operating to ensure re opening of businesses dealing with the public are 'good to go' .. they visit and decide very much like an environmental health department would visit a restaurant if you pass or fail official guidelines .. then, again, like the EHO they give you a sticker to display in your window.

I hope the virus likes snazzy logos ..

agoodtogo001.jpg

https://www.visitbritain.org/business-advice/were-good-go-industry-standard

Last edited:

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Churches have mostly been 'open' online. My Mum's church does a stream from their website.
Yes this is interesting. Several of us in my very small congregation have been pushing for on-line gatherings for years with no success. Now that there is no option, several of the tech folks pushed through a full on-line program and we're regularly attracting more people than could fit in our (small) physical facilities, including to 6 am services, which used to attract maybe two people. This is definitely the way of the 21st century. Now we just need to figure out how to get all these people to help pay for it all, including the buildings that are not being used. Another issue to deal with.

Who me

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Morning peeps So the pubs are open hurra! Or maybe not.
We live behind a very nice pub nice food good beer etc and they try very hard to get everything right.
The opening night (Saturday) they had put tables outside table service etc. By 6pm there had been 3 fights someone had been sick all over one of the tables. At the end of the night all the glass topped tables had been smashed but lucky one of the morons had cut him self seriously.How long before he tries to sue the pub for injuring himself :dunno:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
At the end of the night all the glass topped tables had been smashed but lucky one of the morons had cut him self seriously.How long before he tries to sue the pub for injuring himself :dunno:
WTF!

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Morning peeps So the pubs are open hurra! Or maybe not.
We live behind a very nice pub nice food good beer etc and they try very hard to get everything right.
The opening night (Saturday) they had put tables outside table service etc. By 6pm there had been 3 fights someone had been sick all over one of the tables. At the end of the night all the glass topped tables had been smashed but lucky one of the morons had cut him self seriously.How long before he tries to sue the pub for injuring himself
Makes you proud to be British.

Who me

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Ohh yes indeed me and my good lady were going home after a walk and saw the idiot in question outside the local shop boasting yeah actually boasting about it and how bad the injury was.
I think the government should have a ministry of very hard hefty slaps. A couple of big hefty lads going to their houses and delivering a couple of good uns up the back of the head. And saying you know what that’s for don’t you you idiot

Eyespy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
bring back the stocks, but give us catapults so we don't have to get to close to pelt them with soggy fruit.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Last night met friends for first time since mid March.

Took biggest risk since then.

Went to a restaurant, fairly large, tables well distanced and just four tables in use.

Pre Covid this was a restaurant one would have to queue to get into, but last night they had very few customers.

Staff wore masks.

The absurdity of the situation was though that I was with two friends, each of whom lives on their own in separate flats -
If all three of us had met inside one of their flats, it would have been illegal under UK law, but it was legal for us to share an inside space with three other groups of people plus restaurant staff.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
I ride a motorbike. I'll take 9 any time. I'm fed up with hearing about risk. I wonder how many people locked down have fallen down stairs compared to a normal three month period?

I'm not going to cough over people, i never liked being hugged by comparative strangers in the first place, and I know I've got to die sooner or later. So has everyone else. I'd much rather die of coronavirus than spend years not knowing who I am and soiling myself. Indeed, in the latter circumstances the boy has instructions to load me on the Sportster and point me off a cliff. Although I think he wants the Sporty so he might just throw me off.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
The trip over the cliff on said velocipede could be ameliorated for 'the boy' with the addition of a sturdy rope attached to the chassis and something sturdy nearby.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
The trip over the cliff on said velocipede could be ameliorated for 'the boy' with the addition of a sturdy rope attached to the chassis and something sturdy nearby.
Sounds good :) Of course motorbikes might be banned by then as falling off one would put more load on 'our NHS'

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Met up with my brother in Tring Park with a take-away coffee on Sunday, first face-to-mask chat in four months (he has M.E.) and it was great. Train to work on Monday was on a revised time-table (again) and reduced to two carriages, but still OK for social distancing. Missed my regular train home 'cos there was no queue at the barber when I was passing and so popped in. Seats were cordoned off in the Quiet Zone half carriage on later train so only four people could sit.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Last night met friends for first time since mid March.

Took biggest risk since then.

Went to a restaurant, fairly large, tables well distanced and just four tables in use.

Pre Covid this was a restaurant one would have to queue to get into, but last night they had very few customers.

Staff wore masks.

The absurdity of the situation was though that I was with two friends, each of whom lives on their own in separate flats -
If all three of us had met inside one of their flats, it would have been illegal under UK law, but it was legal for us to share an inside space with three other groups of people plus restaurant staff.
I find that not much of anything makes sense these days. We in Ontario, CA can now “bubble with up to 10 people. Let me try to explain. When People were first told that they were locked down, they were allowed to be in close contact, ie no social distance of six feet required,with family or up to 5 people in a household, only. This was called a bubble. Aside, now that I’m trying to explain, even this doesn’t make sense, but I live alone and so never questioned it.

Once our numbers of cases rose and then started to come down, we were then allowed to bubble with up to 10 people with the explanation that the other group (another family?) would have to commit to bubbling with only your group. In fact I think they were to take marriage vows of fidelity and loyalty and monogamy.

This is definitely were I totally gave up trying to figure out the sense of the rules and just hope that I don’t break any errantly. I being on my own, can “bubble” with up to 10 people. So my question is this, if I bubble with one person and s/he can bubble with a group of 9, does that mean I now have to bubble with 8 other people I don’t know. Our premier even gave us the permission that we can hug people in our bubble. Eeeew!

I continue to social distance, even with my mom, as I certainly interact with people daily esp in my workplace where masks are de rigueur. I try to take as few chances as possible in these times.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Wondering if I have that post Virus condition. On Saturday I had a muggy head, totally exhausted, again yesterday. Not too bad today. Maybe I had COVID-19 without realising it.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
I find that not much of anything makes sense these days. We in Ontario, CA can now “bubble with up to 10 people. Let me try to explain. When People were first told that they were locked down, they were allowed to be in close contact, ie no social distance of six feet required,with family or up to 5 people in a household, only. This was called a bubble. Aside, now that I’m trying to explain, even this doesn’t make sense, but I live alone and so never questioned it.

Once our numbers of cases rose and then started to come down, we were then allowed to bubble with up to 10 people with the explanation that the other group (another family?) would have to commit to bubbling with only your group. In fact I think they were to take marriage vows of fidelity and loyalty and monogamy.

This is definitely were I totally gave up trying to figure out the sense of the rules and just hope that I don’t break any errantly. I being on my own, can “bubble” with up to 10 people. So my question is this, if I bubble with one person and s/he can bubble with a group of 9, does that mean I now have to bubble with 8 other people I don’t know. Our premier even gave us the permission that we can hug people in our bubble. Eeeew!

I continue to social distance, even with my mom, as I certainly interact with people daily esp in my workplace where masks are de rigueur. I try to take as few chances as possible in these times.
It really does remind me of the old adage that when you have sex with someone you are having sex with everyone they ever slept with. Although in this case it's everyone they had sex with in the last fourteen days. It's so hard to control adolescents, two "family groups" I know have been isolating all along and it's the teenagers who suddenly tested positive. In one case they sent the boys off, separately, to a "covid hotel" run by the city to help people isolate. They should be happy, they have good cable available.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I live in a small town. There were no queues, no crowds of piss-heads. None.
I entered and was met by socially distanced tables and areas, cleaning stations and other risk-aware measures.
I felt they'd done all that was achievable. I sat in, had a couple of pints, left. I did not feel I was risking my own health or that of those around me. Of course, there've been idiots. But we all have to take responsibility for our own actions, not for the stupid actions of others. If I thought I was risking myself, others and (especially) of my own family, then I'd have not entered the pub in the first place. I like a drink but not enough to endanger anyone.
I sense a quiet erection of yet another division - do you risk going out, being drunk sheeple, or are you responsible and staying in? That division is unfair - it assumes you have a choice. Like the photo of serving staff wearing shields, it assumes that they are doing it to get the "idiot drinkers" money, rather than being paid and paying the household bills.
Aside from being able to go for a pint, it's nice to have the choice between working and staying at home.

Last edited:

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Our locals opened.
No trouble, no crowds, no irresponsible behaviour.
The problem is generalisation. In general (i.e. in the media and big cities) there have been idiots. Thus, take the generalisation as the overall reality. It's like extremists are so much more apparent because non-extremists aren't as vocal or newsworthy.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I can't wait to go back to the pub again, as soon as it is safe.
As clearly it isn't safe currently otherwise we wouldn't have to give our contact info, use (pointless) hand sanitiser on the way in, not go to the bar and sit six foot away from each other.
Hopefully the landlord will put a sign up at some point which says something like 'all back to normal now'.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
During the lockdown I started to get the first train out in the morning, 05.00 hours (I‘m a construction worker and we were urged to work through). I am on immunosuppressants and though I wasn’t highest risk I was at a raised risk so travelling on the early morning red eye with only five or six others in the whole carriage was ideal for social distancing.
Our train service is mainline so generally we tend not to stop at much in London, but the first train makes additional stops at both Romford and Seven Kings. At both of these stations most of those getting on the train do not wear face coverings. A lot are Eastern European’s who, from experience working with them both here and in Eastern Europe, seem to care very little for their own H&S let alone others who they do not know. But what has really surprised me is the lack of compliance from the BAME community where great concern has been voiced over the disproportionate number of those who have suffered from C19.
What doesn’t surprise me is the lack of policing of the requirement. Since the requirement to wear a face covering was introduced I have not seen one person, either on a train or in a station, approached to enforce compliance. With the increasing number of people not bothering to wear a face covering I ask why it was ever introduced?
I’ll continue to comply but If I inadvertently forget to take a mask out with me, as happened a couple of mornings ago, I doubt I will bother walking back home to retrieve one again.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I can't wait to go back to the pub again, as soon as it is safe.
As clearly it isn't safe currently otherwise we wouldn't have to give our contact info, use (pointless) hand sanitiser on the way in, not go to the bar and sit six foot away from each other.
Hopefully the landlord will put a sign up at some point which says something like 'all back to normal now'.
My Sister's booked me and the Mrs into a room for the night of the 16th for a funeral, the problem is the room is in a pub (upstairs) and I've vowed not to enter a pub until this is all sorted out .. shit .. I'm sure it'll be a nice room and everything, I just hope the landlord has gone overboard with the cleaning.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So ive been back at work a week now and safe distancing is now just a distant memory.
On the face of it my employers have implemented new ways of safe working, but the reality is that we all are near each other all the time. We share tools and equipment and products and are constantly moving about near each other.
Otoh, theres less than ten of us working there, so i dont feel unsafe as such but its annoying when we've gone to such effort so far.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
My Sister's booked me and the Mrs into a room for the night of the 16th for a funeral, the problem is the room is in a pub (upstairs) and I've vowed not to enter a pub until this is all sorted out .. shit .. I'm sure it'll be a nice room and everything, I just hope the landlord has gone overboard with the cleaning.
Take a spray bottle full of surgical spirit.
Spray liberally then leave the room for a couple of minutes.
It'll kill the virus if it comes into contact with it.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Was feeling a bit down today, thinking I wouldn't see my 3 years old grandson for 6 weeks.
The phone rang and a little voice said" Hello Nanna, I'm a rockstar."
It was a bit hard to understand what else he said and he seemed to be running about. I could hear his mother telling him to give her back her phone as she was working from home.
I guess he's worked out how to use it to ring people now. Made me laugh anyway.

Mr Mischief

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Well I was looking forward to taking Missy to the pet shop to see the bunnies when I get her locusts, on a limited basis anyway maybe once a week or so instead of twice a week while the weathers warm enough and before I go into my hibernation period over winter. Then you set some stupid git writing headlines like THIS. I've been in the pet shop and a car showroom since the beginning of April, had very few conversations with anyone from outside the house and then you get that brilliant news. I wonder why I bother trying to see a silver lining at times.