COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Well I was looking forward to taking Missy to the pet shop to see the bunnies when I get her locusts, on a limited basis anyway maybe once a week or so instead of twice a week while the weathers warm enough and before I go into my hibernation period over winter. Then you set some stupid git writing headlines like THIS. I've been in the pet shop and a car showroom since the beginning of April, had very few conversations with anyone from outside the house and then you get that brilliant news. I wonder why I bother trying to see a silver lining at times.
1. what headline
2. do you think she sees bunnies as prey?
3. In the US it's crickets. Does she eat meal worms?

Mr Mischief

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
1. what headline
2. do you think she sees bunnies as prey?
3. In the US it's crickets. Does she eat meal worms?
1. The one I linked to about unknown pneumonia alert from a Chinese Embassy.
2. Nah, she probably thinks they're some kind of dog, not on her menu anyway.
3. Fed her crickets once, they drove me scatty. Meal worms occasionally, not good for her all the time.

Lb8535

Reaction score
1. The one I linked to about unknown pneumonia alert from a Chinese Embassy.
2. Nah, she probably thinks they're some kind of dog, not on her menu anyway.
3. Fed her crickets once, they drove me scatty. Meal worms occasionally, not good for her all the time.
JSYN - no link that I see. Crickets are a pain they leave little bits and pieces behind, are locusts more coherent?

Mr Mischief

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Crickets are noisy little gits, one got stuck the end of Missy's log once, chirruping away and I couldn't find it, drove me barmy. All you get from locusts is the odd leg left, get them up when I clean her viv out. The link should be under THIS. Works for me.

Last edited:

Lb8535

Reaction score
Crickets are noisy little gits, one got stuck the end of Missy's log once, chirruping away and I could find it, drove me barmy. All you get from locusts is the odd leg left, get them up when I clean her viv out. The link should be under THIS. Works for me.
Ah. Much too subtle for me.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
News from the Cabin in the Woods. I spent the day dressing a deer I shot. I now have a freezer full of venison, and a scraped pelt I will work on again tomorrow. Sadly, after many weeks I will finally be forced to go to the supermarket again in a couple of days time as I am running short of a few things. I am less than thrilled at the prospect. Massachusetts isn't even collecting data they are releasing that includes recoveries, and there's over 111K infections atm. I may need to skip the border into Vermont when I go shopping I think. I suppose I could be a bit lateral thinking and make do with what I have. Eventually I will need to buy more baking soda however.

Lenny the Lab Lab is gnawing on Bambi bones by the fire atm. I think he secretly fears I may try to steal his bone, which is a tad unreasonable seeing as I am the one who gifted it to him. He actually had the temerity to growl at me when I walked past on my way to the couch. Perhaps he is just feeling the call of the wild?

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So i went 'into town' yesterday for the first time since reopening.
Not really saturday morning busy, but busy enough. Almost no one was wearing masks. As AnonyJools mentions in another thread there are many people who can't wear them but im fairly sure it was not that reason. In the street and shopping centre people were just ambling any which way, standing in the way chatting, you know business as normal :mad:
But the shops were on it! Most had door controllers and limiting customers. Every single shop has hand sanitiser at the door and spacing markings at the tills and some had direction arrows.

The best hand sanitiser was Smiths. Just the right amount of gloop and smelled fruity.
Waterstones was bland and foamy.
Robert Dyers was gloopy and medically scented.
White Stuff was posh and gin-like.
Flying Tiger basic and medical
M&s was the worst. The smell and watery feel of aftershave.
As they were the last shop i went in that smell came home with me. After 3 handwashes i still couldn't lose the smell.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The best hand sanitiser was Smiths. Just the right amount of gloop and smelled fruity.
Waterstones was bland and foamy.
Robert Dyers was gloopy and medically scented.
White Stuff was posh and gin-like.
Flying Tiger basic and medical
M&s was the worst. The smell and watery feel of aftershave.
As they were the last shop i went in that smell came home with me. After 3 handwashes i still couldn't lose the smell.
Thanks for the detailed survey. I don't think I'd seen a review of hand sanitizers encountered in public spaces before. It makes sense that these products will be features of the places we visit for some time to come, and comparisons are inevitable.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You're not supposed to drink it @Ladyloafer?

P.S. Am liking the sanitiser survey. There's one we use at work that smells of Grappa (one of the few alcoholic drinks I don't like)
If any shop has hand sanitiser made from a gin distillery its going to be a middle class smock emporium like White Stuff.

On the whole i think hs that leaves your hands gross and sticky is better because i'm more aware of my hands and what i'm touching :oops:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Technically, anything can kill you.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
"He's in the NHS frontline ... in Leicester! "

Just listened to the news and my jaw dropped when it was reported there are an estimated 10,000 slaves toiling in inhuman sweatshop conditions in Leicester. This was cited as one of the primary reasons for the spike in Coronavirus infections in the city.

And there was me thinking that "dark satanic mills" ended in the 19th century.

This is an absolute disgrace and I sincerely hope that any clothing (or other) company owners profiting from such human misery feel the full weight of the law upon them.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an absolute disgrace and I sincerely hope that any clothing (or other) company owners profiting from such human misery feel the full weight of the law upon them.
totally agree.

I'd also like to extend that to the people buying the stuff produced.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
totally agree.

I'd also like to extend that to the people buying the stuff produced.
Yes - provided the buyer is aware that the product is the result of slave labour.

I know that trendy company "Boohoo" has been implicated in the scandal and it would be ethical to avoid any of their clothes pending further investigation.

That said, whilst I do my best to avoid any Chinese goods these days for multiple reasons, I have purchased a wide variety of Chinese products in the past, from electronic stuff to seat covers and there is no way of me personally knowing whether the working conditions for the labourers were adequate or tended towards servitude.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The Leicester sweat shops scandal is but one of similar.
It involves more than just illegally low pay, long hours and grim work conditions.

Think about how people are willing to work on such terms.

Would British born people do so?
They would have some knowledge of minimum wages, health and safety.
And probably better work prospects.

So I reckon there is an illegal immigration scandal linked to this... a whole supply chain.
Whereby the sweat shop owners ally with gangs bringing in people illegally.
False passports, visas given on false pretences, or people smuggled in.
People in high places taking a cut for turning a blind eye, or scared of losing the vote of a community or accusations of racism.

A few years back I went to an Indian wedding in London.
The catering organiser was British born of Indian heritage.
His manager also was.
But the serving staff were from India - they had little or no English, and no idea of what ingredients were in the food or how to talk to people.
Their hair styles and clothing were not typical of those seen locally.

How had they go into the UK?
Were they legal and just happened to be freshly arrived?
Or illegal?
Were they legally employed, receiving National Insurance?

I have seen similar groups of Indians in North West London - grouped together on roads at the edges of industrial estates, waiting to be picked up by mini bus after working in an industrial unit, then driven back to the semi-detached houses with inhabited garden sheds and lean-tos that predominate in this part of suburban North West London in the Boroughs of Harrow and Brent - where the property owners retain ownership but have now moved to live further out to semi rural suburbs such as Northwood, Moor Park etc.

Again, it may be that they legal, but newly arrived, and without many qualifications, so take on casual packing and assembling work in warehouses and industrial units.
Or it may be that they are not legal, and are taking whatever work in whatever conditions they can get whilst staying under the radar, living in sheds and avoiding council tax.

Last edited:

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
So, no Woke persons onto this?

Or are they like the young people of my generation; supporting causes far away but not interested in anything local to them?

I like to think young people today are better than us

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
You'd think that if something was "made in the UK" it would pretty much guarantee decent conditions.
In Canada we have confusing laws that allow a company to label something as "made in Canada" if a certain percentage of the final product is made in Canada. It can mean that the packaging was produced in Canada, or a part of the item itself (think automobiles) if it meets the percentage requirement, can be made in Canada. Autos alone are confusing as we have trade agreements for raw materials and manufactured between us, the US and Mexico. It in no way "guarantees decent conditions". This still requires us consumers to keep our ears to the ground and call out companies if there is a question of employees' working conditions.

Last edited:

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Locals moaning about our (seaside) town being "rammed" and "teeming" with tourists.
As a business-owner who earns money from both locals and tourists I can confirm that while it's busy, it's not as it would've been had Covid-19 not reared its deadly head.
I think it's the contrast between now and a month or two back when the streets were almost empty.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I think it's the contrast between now and a month or two back when the streets were almost empty.
Yes, I think so. It is a little unnerving to people having to reacclimatize themselves to numbers of people. I have had to work throughout and so I was used to going to work in all of this, but others who had to quit and come back to work after a couple of months staying at home were having problems coping with how to keep themselves safe while at work. I had already dealt with that and so had not much reaction at the same time.

Now that more places are becoming more open - this Friday, in Ontario, most workplaces will be back to work (though not everyone working), and we will be able to congregate in groups of 50, I think, at inside venues - I am definitely not looking to hang out with that many people even keeping the social distancing rules in place. I'm glad that I live in a smaller town (40.000) and not someplace like Toronto. I can still choose how much interaction I engage in daily.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Ive lost weight AND read the Silmarillion.

Are the two events connected?

Cos I will go on to Unfinished Tales and Chris`s efforts.

melon24

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I had my Sars Covid 2 Anti-body test result back to day and it was........Positive - ''Consistent with exposure to SARS-CoV-2 at some time.'

(I had symptoms at the end of March / beginning of April, but you couldn't get swab tested for the virus at that point - I just assumed I'd had it from the 'orrible symptoms and because others where I work had been admitted to hospital and tested positive).

My logic says if I have antibodies to this virus, and I keep getting exposed to it, which where I work will be the case, then I should keep on building up antibodies. Anyone know if this is what happens?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... My logic says if I have antibodies to this virus, and I keep getting exposed to it, which where I work will be the case, then I should keep on building up antibodies. Anyone know if this is what happens?
Nobody knows if that is what happens, and there's no clear data to date to support the notion this could happen at all.

Antibodies don't accumulate. They fade out to undetectable levels in asymptomatic / minor-symptomatic patients over a period of weeks or a very few months. That much is reasonably certain.

I don't recall ever seeing any mention of whether or how ongoing exposure may contribute to sustaining antibody production.