COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
Regular viewers will remember that I had a sore throat about a week ago. It keeps coming and going - it feels like a swollen gland on one side. And every now and then it's as if I have a sore, raspy lump in my throat which needs to be swallowed. But apart from that - nothing.

My son had a slightly raised temperature last night (37.4) but it disappeared after an hour back down to normal. He seemed to sweat it out in bed because his hair was soaking when I went in to check on him. I'm kind of just waiting for it now.

We've been in self-isolation for 6 days. I work from home every day so the discipline involved is normal for me but the kids are struggling. For them it feels like 6 weeks already.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
I went for the daily walk with my wife that we're allowed - it was lovely. Clear blue skies with just one contrail – there's usually loads – very little traffic and our walk took in a small Tesco's so I stockpiled/panic bought wine (one bottle), salad (one bag), yoghurt (one tub), chocolate (one bar)! Considering this was the first day of lockdown I thought it would be stripped bare but it was pretty well stocked – we tend to do one big shop for the heavy stuff (cat food, UHT milk, tinned tomatoes, passata etc) every few weeks and I usually buy fresh veg every few days. I'm hoping to go to Sainsbury's with my 85-year-old dad on Friday for their elderly-people-only hour.

Also today, people were friendly, lots of 'hellos' and 'good mornings'. Not like the Blitz spirit, more like an episode of Miss Marple!

More worryingly, I've heard of one confirmed case near my immediate circle. One of the colleagues of a close friend has it - they even shared a keyboard at one point. I haven't seen them for a few weeks so there's no danger to me from that source but it brings it home.

And as of today my job is changing entirely. No outdoor testing of bikes and cycling kit - we're allowed to go out riding for our health but my company doesn't want us outdoors testing at all in case anything happens; it's to keep both us and the public safe. My employer has been very good with my ongoing health issues and this is another example where I feel they're doing a good job. Don't quite know what work I can do for a while, though!

Stay safe out there, people.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
we're allowed to go out riding for our health but my company doesn't want us outdoors testing at all in case anything happens; it's to keep both us and the public safe.
I dumped the cycling Facebook groups because many members had a stupid attitude towards it: going out riding no matter what, it's my decision, I didn't buy a bike to leave it in the garage, what about my fitness blah blah blah

The latest advice is that people can exercise outdoors on foot or bikes but as you say, if a cyclist has an accident there are repercussions. They are taking up resources, coming into contact with others, just being a general bloody nuisance.

...The latest advice is that people can exercise outdoors on foot or bikes but as you say, if a cyclist has an accident there are repercussions. They are taking up resources, coming into contact with others, just being a general bloody nuisance.
Hmm.

According to RoSPA there are around 6000 deaths a year as a result of accidents in the home.

CyclingUK - using Department of Transport stats - has the 2018 cyclist death toll at 99.

I can't help wondering if the emergency services would be less stretched if we were all bumbling out on two wheels, rather than stuck indoors for three weeks solid.

There's going to be some very interesting statistics at the end of all this.

Edit: Of course, that's not the whole story - nationwide, very many more man hours are spent in the home than out on bicycles. But still, it does make you wonder how the home related injury count is going to be affected by the current situation. Fatalities related to tripping over mountains of toilet roll is probably going to be a popular new act.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Whence this strange idea that most Britons cannot do without their daily outdoor exercise?

Frankly, I'd be surprised if one in five exercised regularly. Those that do are often devoted to it, but those are the people who will find an alternative in the living room or the garden.

Twenty-one days is hardly an eternity that will destroy your health, is it?

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Whence this strange idea that most Britons cannot do without their daily outdoor exercise?

Frankly, I'd be surprised if one in five exercised regularly. Those that do are often devoted to it, but those are the people who will find an alternative in the living room or the garden.

Twenty-one days is hardly an eternity that will destroy your health, is it?
I think it's a mental health thing, rather than physical. Even prisoners get exercise time (in theory).

I think it's a mental health thing, rather than physical. Even prisoners get exercise.
Yes. On reflection, I think it's a pretty essential for everyone, not just the health buffs. We can joke about how inactive people might be under normal circumstances - but normal circumstances are not 24/7 locked down in the hole.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Maybe not (although arguable - I'd probably go mad) but as long as it's performed in a way that doesn't destroy everyone else's health, then I don't see an issue.
No, not now, I agree.

But in that absurd conference before last Boris was waxing poetical about an Englishman's affinity with nature as a justification for not doing what every sane national leader has already done!

I think it's a mental health thing, rather than physical. Even prisoners get exercise time (in theory).
Fair point. Personally, a rigorous cleaning session and open windows would have the same effect.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Who says it’s going to be only 21 days?

maximus otter
That is the 'first period' after which the situation will be reassessed.

You're quite right that it may well (is likely to be) extended beyond that. And in that event, there will be and argument to consider health and well-being.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Hmm.

According to RoSPA there are around 6000 deaths a year as a result of accidents in the home.

CyclingUK - using Department of Transport stats - has the 2018 cyclist death toll at 99.

I can't help wondering if the emergency services would be less stretched if we were all bumbling out on two wheels, rather than stuck indoors for three weeks solid.

There's going to be some very interesting statistics at the end of all this.

Edit: Of course, that's not the whole story - nationwide, very many more man hours are spent in the home than out on bicycles. But still, it does make you wonder how the home related injury count is going to be affected by the current situation. Fatalities related to tripping over mountains of toilet roll is probably going to be a popular new act.
My point was that IF someone has a cycling accident they will take up resources that could be used elsewhere, when they could have made that small sacrifice and stayed home. Nobody plans to fall off but it happens.

Also, a woman has just died from the virus after catching it in hospital. That's a sobering thought.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Sounds like you may well have it. Do you also have any of the other symptoms - feverish, dry cough, short of breath? How are you feeling generally - people report feeling knackered with it. Hope your symptoms are not too bad - keep us posted. It'll be interesting for the rest of us to hear from an actual sufferer who's [presumably & hopefully] not in the 'danger' category.
I've had everything except the cough - seem to be out of the other side now. It was like mild flu for me, the wife had it worse. But not able to taste for a week now!

I think I may have caught a hint of pesto at lunchtime but I may have been imagining it.

The weird thing here is that the loss of taste and smell came after all the other symptoms, not before.

Last edited:

MorningAngel

Abominable Snowman
We are currently well. But I work in a (non-essential) shop which is still open and busier than usual. I worry about catching the virus and bringing it home to my parents who are of advanced years with medical issues.
Ok so our shop is closing. But because we’re owned by a supermarket we’ve been told we have to go and work there instead. And our shops that live in those supermarkets are still open. Basically they don’t give a f*ck about us.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Bad sinuses today but that is probably down to yesterday's Lidl Pinot Noir.

I noticed that they had two untouched boxes of Corona beer*. Quelle surprise! :hunger:

*That reminds me that there used to be a restaurant called Isis on the A666 at Swinton. They did, eventually, change the name. Won't do them much good now, of course. :oops:

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Ok so our shop is closing. But because we’re owned by a supermarket we’ve been told we have to go and work there instead. And our shops that live in those supermarkets are still open. Basically they don’t give a f*ck about us.
I'll be working 6am to 11 four days a week at a supermarket, induction day tomorrow and part of a team order picking for home deliveries. I never thought I'd work at a supermarket again, I left this one 8 years ago but I count myself lucky under the circumstances ..

MorningAngel

Abominable Snowman
I'll be working 6am to 11 four days a week at a supermarket, induction day tomorrow and part of a team order picking for home deliveries. I never thought I'd work at a supermarket again, I left this one 8 years ago but I count myself lucky under the circumstances ..
Hopefully if you’re picking you won’t have to mingle too much with the general public and their bugs.

I’ve just heard I’ve been allowed two weeks self isolation. Which is a relief for a bit. I’ve been so worried about bringing it back to my parents with their various health conditions

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Hopefully if you’re picking you won’t have to mingle too much with the general public and their bugs.

I’ve just heard I’ve been allowed two weeks self isolation. Which is a relief for a bit. I’ve been so worried about bringing it back to my parents with their various health conditions
On the plus and more cheerful side though, this is what's on Tribble's mind at the moment (from a different thread):

"Been wondering for a while if it's possible to get a drone, dress it up like a flying saucer (complete with lights) and attach a remote winch that can grab little plastic cows with magnets.
Would make a great party game - "Abduct the cows"." ...

:D ... legend

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I went to the office in the morning and couldn't get into the building. Then I got a text from the boss saying 'work from home'.
I worked from home today, which wasn't very productive. My Internet connection is really slow and VNC is a resource hog. Also, working on a laptop isn't ideal for me. I may try to get into the office again tomorrow, because I may get more done.
So far, nobody I know has Covid-19.

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
I went to the office in the morning and couldn't get into the building. Then I got a text from the boss saying 'work from home'.
I worked from home today, which wasn't very productive. My Internet connection is really slow and VNC is a resource hog. Also, working on a laptop isn't ideal for me. I may try to get into the office again tomorrow, because I may get more done.
So far, nobody I know has Covid-19.
Can you borrow a screen and or keyboard to work better from home? My wife even picked up her office chair.

MorningAngel

Abominable Snowman
On the plus and more cheerful side though, this is what's on Tribble's mind at the moment (from a different thread):

"Been wondering for a while if it's possible to get a drone, dress it up like a flying saucer (complete with lights) and attach a remote winch that can grab little plastic cows with magnets.
Would make a great party game - "Abduct the cows"." ...

:D ... legend
Or you could walk the dog with one.
https://www.businessinsider.com/video-dog-being-walked-by-drone-cyprus-coronavirus-lockdown-2020-3

I'm self-employed and have now lost 100% of all future booked work. Apart from two weeks back in the late 80's, during a year out between school and university, I’ve never claimed any benefits - have no idea whether I'm due any - and am not keen on starting now.

But I am by nature both a pragmatist and an optimist, and believe that probably the only bit of spiritual direction anyone should ever really need is contained within the very few words of the Serenity Prayer. Having realised years ago that I couldn't afford the cripplingly high monthly contributions necessary for income protection insurance, I've been putting a more modest portion of every payment away in a separate account to act as a potential safety net, and I'm quite surprised by how much I've built up; my overheads are low and I reckon if I tighten my belt a bit, I can manage for a few months without having to eat the furniture. I live in a nice place and I’ve got shelves heaving with books I either haven’t read yet, or need re-reading. I’ve got a snagging list for my flat and my garden that’s as long as my arm - and a list of other projects that’s as long as both. If my regular line of work takes too long to recover, I've got other options I can follow.

And I’m healthy. Many people are in far, far worse straits, and it’s much tougher for those with families, or illness, or who are caring for people with issues.

So, not complaining - just saying.