COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

MorningAngel

Abominable Snowman
I'm self-employed and have now lost 100% of all future booked work. Apart from two weeks back in the late 80's, during a year out between school and university, I’ve never claimed any benefits - have no idea whether I'm due any - and am not keen on starting now.

But I am by nature both a pragmatist and an optimist, and believe that probably the only bit of spiritual direction anyone should ever really need is contained within the very few words of the Serenity Prayer. Having realised years ago that I couldn't afford the cripplingly high monthly contributions necessary for income protection insurance, I've been putting a more modest portion of every payment away in a separate account to act as a potential safety net, and I'm quite surprised by how much I've built up; my overheads are low and I reckon if I tighten my belt a bit, I can manage for a few months without having to eat the furniture. I live in a nice place and I’ve got shelves heaving with books I either haven’t read yet, or need re-reading. I’ve got a snagging list for my flat and my garden that’s as long as my arm - and a list of other projects that’s as long as both. If my regular line of work takes too long to recover, I've got other options I can follow.

And I’m healthy. Many people are in far, far worse straits, and it’s much tougher for those with families, or illness, or who are caring for people with issues.

So, not complaining - just saying.
I do wonder if all this might give us a new perspective on our lives.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Shockingly, two ice cream vans have been around our streets since lunchtime.

EDIT Also, it's only today that I've realised saying 'stay safe' has, as far as I can tell, organically become the new way to bid farewell to someone.

Last edited:
Shockingly, two ice cream vans have been around our streets since lunchtime.

EDIT Also, it's only today that I've realised saying 'stay safe' has, as far as I can tell, organically become the new way to bid farewell to someone.
Or more like splay shlafe - while trying to stop ice cream from dripping down your chin, Cadbury's flake from poking your eye out, and fighting brain freeze, all at once.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
I'm self-employed and have now lost 100% of all future booked work. Apart from two weeks back in the late 80's, during a year out between school and university, I’ve never claimed any benefits - have no idea whether I'm due any - and am not keen on starting now.

But I am by nature both a pragmatist and an optimist, and believe that probably the only bit of spiritual direction anyone should ever really need is contained within the very few words of the Serenity Prayer. Having realised years ago that I couldn't afford the cripplingly high monthly contributions necessary for income protection insurance, I've been putting a more modest portion of every payment away in a separate account to act as a potential safety net, and I'm quite surprised by how much I've built up; my overheads are low and I reckon if I tighten my belt a bit, I can manage for a few months without having to eat the furniture. I live in a nice place and I’ve got shelves heaving with books I either haven’t read yet, or need re-reading. I’ve got a snagging list for my flat and my garden that’s as long as my arm - and a list of other projects that’s as long as both. If my regular line of work takes too long to recover, I've got other options I can follow.

And I’m healthy. Many people are in far, far worse straits, and it’s much tougher for those with families, or illness, or who are caring for people with issues.

If I wasn't married already... I'd marry you @Spookdaddy! :loveyou:

Your approach is (to me at least) admirable.

And for all of us in England (I would guess that NHS Wales & NHS Scotland have similar schemes) then consider this:

250,000 NHS England Volunteer Responders wanted https://www.england.nhs.uk/2020/03/your-nhs-needs-you-nhs-call-for-volunteer-army/

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Finally got through to the doctor's surgery today and later had a telecall from the doctor.
He said the chemist would pick up the script so hopefully I can get it on Sunday when I plan on going shopping.
I have a couple more weeks left but don't want to run out.

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
I'm self-employed and have now lost 100% of all future booked work.
Yep - same here. I have shows scheduled for the Autumn but everything before that is gone. And the Autumn shows are subject to:

1. Me being alive (obviously).
2. The economy working again (doubtful)
3. People not too scared to leave the house (God knows).

OrsonSwells

Devoted Cultist

Good post. I’m in a similar situation to you. Freelance and currently living on savings alone! My one hope is that post-corona, society may adjust itself in some positive way. It’s a slim hope, I know! Has anyone here tested positive for COVID-19 yet? I’m guessing (like me possibly) a lot of people may have had it unofficially.

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Time to stop reading the news.
There's a chrome extension called 'focusd', in that annoying web 2.0 way. But I have set it to allow me 10 minutes maximum per day on a number of websites, including the Guardian and Facebook. Cumulative, not individually. That way, I get the gist, but don't obsessively refresh the page like I used to. It's had clear benefits for my state of mind.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Hi everyone, thank you to every one who pm'ed me, I didn't mean to cause any worry, I put myself into lock down over a week ago due to an on going medical condition ( suppressed imune system ) although I have been semi self isolating all winter. I made the decision to totaly self isolate after going to do my normal weekly shop early on a weekday as I have been doing all year and finding the supermarket that would normaly have half a dozen people in with people queing to get in the car park. The next day went to a big supermarket at 6am who said the first hour would be for old and vulnerable ( took my hospital card etc ) but found no checks being done so of course car park full and hundreds of people panic buying, bought what I could and decided to sit it out for a while ( always have a month or so of food in reserve ). I am self employed not working and this is going to wipe out my savings unless I get some help from the goverment . I am totaly fucked off by most people around here (south UK ) always thought this part of the country has a special kind of arsehole just didn't know there were so many . Keep well every one and please don't take any risks, if it all starts to get too much try mindfulness meditation (you can find it on the internet ) takes a bit of getting into but I find it really helps.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Hi everyone, thank you to every one who pm'ed me, I didn't mean to cause any worry, I put myself into lock down over a week ago due to an on going medical condition ( suppressed imune system ) although I have been semi self isolating all winter. I made the decision to totaly self isolate after going to do my normal weekly shop early on a weekday as I have been doing all year and finding the supermarket that would normaly have half a dozen people in with people queing to get in the car park. The next day went to a big supermarket at 6am who said the first hour would be for old and vulnerable ( took my hospital card etc ) but found no checks being done so of course car park full and hundreds of people panic buying, bought what I could and decided to sit it out for a while ( always have a month or so of food in reserve ). I am self employed not working and this is going to wipe out my savings unless I get some help from the goverment . I am totaly fucked off by most people around here (south UK ) always thought this part of the country has a special kind of arsehole just didn't know there were so many . Keep well every one and please don't take any risks, if it all starts to get too much try mindfulness meditation (you can find it on the internet ) takes a bit of getting into but I find it really helps.
If I could turn up with several containers of homemade soup and books for you I would. Bit difficult getting all that from Sydney to South UK, but best of bloody luck to you, and everyone else here!

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
If I could turn up with several containers of homemade soup and books for you I would. Bit difficult getting all that from Sydney to South UK, but best of bloody luck to you, and everyone else here!
Bless you Tigerhawk, I'm doing well, as I said I've been keeping my head down all winter so am used to it and well prepared, lots of books and dvd's (have just started Moby Dick- have read it many times but still enjoy it ) , the only thing I didn't consider was the charity shop withdrawal but I'm nearly over that now, keep well .

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Was woken early by Camp Managment banging on my door; Evicted. No warning.

"We are shut from midnight last night"

So I bunged everything in my car and drove to Dads...How thankful I have a Dad!

(Mum died decades ago)

He is now appaled that the living room is full of food bags.

(But worse if I had turned up with no food, eh?)

He is contemplating with sadness lack of normal diet. At least we have plenty of good things to eat.

I have been warned its Sirloin and not Ribeye; I think I can survive this.

We are going to spend the next few weeks in DIY, crafts and painting my Warhammer figures...

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Yaay swifty got a job well done mate.
Try not to breathe or touch anything and you will be fine.And I got a 9 pack of loo roll today :dpoo::dpoo::dpoo:

What never ceases to amaze me is the sheer amount of jobs Swifty has had in such a small geographical area.

I'm fairly sure everyone in the local area knows he is capable and very good at the various jobs he does, but they know it will only last a few days or weeks.

He's always been the Cosmic Joker of employment in the Cromer area. I think he enjoys it.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Is anyone else trying to plan, military-style, when is the best time to go out shopping? If we're careful we could probably last another week before we really have to go out, but... keeping an eye on the numbers infected...

Do we go out this week, before the numbers get much higher (and while the country is in lockdown so theoretically less people to come into contact with?)

Or do we wait until next week, because the panic-buying might have subsided more by then so more chance of not finding empty shelves?

But if we wait too long and the lockdown is removed, there may be a mad "yippee we can go out again" response by the idiot public which means it could be busier again, and we don't want to get caught in that.

1585161443581.png

Anyone else having similar thoughts, or just us?

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Is anyone else trying to plan, military-style, when is the best time to go out shopping? If we're careful we could probably last another week before we really have to go out, but... keeping an eye on the numbers infected...

Do we go out this week, before the numbers get much higher (and while the country is in lockdown so theoretically less people to come into contact with?)

Or do we wait until next week, because the panic-buying might have subsided more by then so more chance of not finding empty shelves?

But if we wait too long and the lockdown is removed, there may be a mad "yippee we can go out again" response by the idiot public which means it could be busier again, and we don't want to get caught in that.

View attachment 24476

Anyone else having similar thoughts, or just us?
Steer clear of the big name supermarkets is my advice. Lidl, Aldi and strange places like B&M are yielding good results from my local anecdotal sampling (ie ringing up the rellies and asking them). If you're within a gnat's crotchet of some farm shops or outlets, try phoning ahead to them and asking what's available (or not). They might even deliver :)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
The thing that keeps spurring me on is my big sister working at the same hospital I did 20 years ago, she's spent the day feeding and bed bathing patients on a corona ward .. I keep telling her how proud I am of her .. it's shutting me the f**k up about my 6am starts in my new job order picking for food etc home deliveries .. she's rocking it hard and I'm not going to let her down either .. apparently there's a nurse who's being a massive c**t to everyone there, I've told my sis not to punch her. If I thought she could get away with it though? ......

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
If you're within a gnat's crotchet of some farm shops or outlets, try phoning ahead to them and asking what's available (or not). They might even deliver
good point.

My SiL has a smallholding in east anglia. Like many producers she has a table/glass fronted cupboard on the verge and fills it each day with eggs, goats milk (when the weather allows), seasonal fruit and vegetables.

Her sales have gone up, with no noticeable increase in nicking stuff.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
good point.

My SiL has a smallholding in east anglia. Like many producers she has a table/glass fronted cupboard on the verge and fills it each day with eggs, goats milk (when the weather allows), seasonal fruit and vegetables.

Her sales have gone up, with no noticeable increase in nicking stuff.
I'm in East Anglia as you might know, a lot of my neighbours do farm work so do the same thing, an honesty cupboard in the front garden .. if they need any paracetamol, we've got loads for bartering if they want because they've got two little kids . All local shops have sold out. We'll be picking some parsnips tomorrow from a neighbour.