COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Let us have a little good feelz. Was sitting here, foreboding the future, and suddenly realised I was in a perfect moment. I was warm, the little dog was basking in the fire under my legs, I was reading one of my favourite books, and I had drunk enough whisky to feel good but not drunk. Darts on the TV, food in the fridge.

If I could click some sort of stopwatch to freeze the moment I would.

Of course there have been better moments in the past, but also a lot of much worse moments.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Let us have a little good feelz. Was sitting here, foreboding the future, and suddenly realised I was in a perfect moment. I was warm, the little dog was basking in the fire under my legs, I was reading one of my favourite books, and I had drunk enough whisky to feel good but not drunk. Darts on the TV, food in the fridge.

If I could click some sort of stopwatch to freeze the moment I would.

Of course there have been better moments in the past, but also a lot of much worse moments.
And on that note, I shall pour myself a glass of port and toast your health.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Meanwhile, two nights ago on The Isle Of Man ..

"Again , meanwhile in the Isle of Man where everyone behaved themselves first lockdown , Christmas lights switch on tonight. We are covid free here btw"

View attachment 31675

The Isle Of Man's current stats:

https://covid19.gov.im/general-info...wil0ZrBgpXBY41X1pCU2Cct6qPgynfHamTJt7EHnubfFk

Give it two weeks .. hopefully there won't be any new cases.
I see the advance on the Cliff Richard 2021 calendar is looking promising.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
As this extraordinary year draws towards a close, I wondered if anyone else has experienced the following.

For sure, I haven't been outside so much during that time and particularly in respect of long country walks, some hill climbing, etc.

It occurred I hadn't weighed myself for months and usually did so when visiting my daughter, again not such a frequent occurrence of late.

So, I bought some digital bathroom scales last week. I am always 11st 10lb or thereabouts and have been for many a year.

To my disappointment, the new scales were widely innaccurute, registering a ridiculous 13st 2lb.

It so happened I had to drop something off at my daughter's last Friday and expressing annoyance I was going to necessarily return said new scales, I took advantage of my visit to establish the true weight using her own.

As expected, they confirmed I was indeed... 13st 2lb.

I have never in my entire life previously been over 12st, never mind 13st...

My diet hasn't changed, so a consequence from lack of exercise? Can't think of anything else it could predominantly be.

This would also explain why, when I bought some new shirts a couple of months back - been the same collar size for decades - not one of them would fit and I was cursing the manufacturers.

A real shock and need a major rethink here. First thought is not how to redress the balance, it's how to stop this seriously unhealthy situation becoming even worse!

As noted, I'm curious if anyone else has been similarly affected this past year and particularly without realising it at the time - maybe likewise didn't check your weight regularly?

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don't put on weight but it would surprise me if I don't end up with diabetes before this is over.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
As this extraordinary year draws towards a close, I wondered if anyone else has experienced the following.

For sure, I haven't been outside so much during that time and particularly in respect of long country walks, some hill climbing, etc.

It occurred I hadn't weighed myself for months and usually did so when visiting my daughter, again not such a frequent occurrence of late.

So, I bought some digital bathroom scales last week. I am always 11st 10lb or thereabouts and have been for many a year.

To my disappointment, the new scales were widely innaccurute, registering a ridiculous 13st 2lb.

It so happened I had to drop something off at my daughter's last Friday and expressing annoyance I was going to necessarily return said new scales, I took advantage of my visit to establish the true weight using her own.

As expected, they confirmed I was indeed... 13st 2lb.

I have never in my entire life previously been over 12st, never mind 13st...

My diet hasn't changed, so a consequence from lack of exercise? Can't think of anything else it could predominantly be.

This would also explain why, when I bought some new shirts a couple of months back - been the same collar size for decades - not one of them would fit and I was cursing the manufacturers.

A real shock and need a major rethink here. First thought is not how to redress the balance, it's how to stop this seriously unhealthy situation becoming even worse!

As noted, I'm curious if anyone else has been similarly affected this past year and particularly without realising it at the time - maybe likewise didn't check your weight regularly?
Most of the people I've spoken to have also noted this strange phenomenon. All scales have suddenly become wildly inaccurate.

CALGACUS03

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Oh yes. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror last week and saw a complete stranger with a quite hideous stomach.:(

Inspired by your post; Comfortably Numb, I've just weighed myself for the first time since the start of lockdown and I've gained over a stone and a half. Thanks for inspiring me to do that!

I'm a middle aged bloke who, until this year, has never had to worry about his weight. My trousers have the same waist size as they did when I was a twenty year old student. As a result I've got no idea how to come back from this state of affairs.

Since my diet hasn't changed since March (except maybe less actual fast food (and with the pubs being mostly closed; certainly less beer)) I can only assue it's because of a lack of exercise.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Oh yes. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror last week and saw a complete stranger with a quite hideous stomach.:(

Inspired by your post; Comfortably Numb, I've just weighed myself for the first time since the start of lockdown and I've gained over a stone and a half. Thanks for inspiring me to do that!

I'm a middle aged bloke who, until this year, has never had to worry about his weight. My trousers have the same waist size as they did when I was a twenty year old student. As a result I've got no idea how to come back from this state of affairs.

Since my diet hasn't changed since March (except maybe less actual fast food (and with the pubs being mostly closed; certainly less beer)) I can only assue it's because of a lack of exercise.
I haven't weighed myself since the beginning of last year when I was 12st 2lb, just about acceptable for my 5ft 9in. I spent the early part of the furlough riding up to 240 miles a week and was in the best shape (in all senses of the word) I'd been in years. This was in preparation for my return to work post-lockdown/furlough etc. But my return to work was kiboshed by being made redundant and the cycling tailed off for a few months and then the football went too, and I can see and feel that I'm heavier now.

The last couple of weeks have been much better; I'm doing some freelance bike testing for a website so I'm riding every morning and doing 15-20 minutes of weights in the afternoon (very, very light weights) while watching YouTube music videos. I'm also drinking much less, moving to Erdinger alcohol-free beer (it's isotonic!) and Nosecco alcohol-free wine for a lot of the week. Take out the alcohol and the calorie count goes right down.

Hopefully I can keep this up until Christmas, have a few days of the usual eating and drinking, and then ramp up the riding again for the new year. The search for full-time work hasn't been fruitful so far, so I'm presently describing myself as semi-retired. Frankly, I'd probably be 'earning' more on the job-seeker's allowance, though I'm not that I'd be eligible. But the riding is helping my physical and mental well-being and I'll also be able to work for my previous employer in the new year, both in writing and freelance sub-editing roles.

It's been an interesting year. But pre-lockdown I was just about to go on to anti-depressants, but this hasn't proved necessary, so it hasn't all been bad news.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
:cynic:

That's the exact scenario - if I had been weighing myself regularly, as would do previously, I could have noticed this developing much sooner!

Daft thing was, I genuinely believed the new scales were faulty - 13st 2 lbs!!! I don't think so! Piece of nonsense, that is...

One is consequently embarking on a dietary and fitness regime.

Don't know how I shall cope without some constant bedside companions during my past 10 months or so.

I have, however, this very moment taken due remedial action and off to the back of that hard to reach, top shelf in the kitchen cupboard, they all now go...

IMG_20201123_105905_resize_49.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Take out the alcohol and the calorie count goes right down.
Terrific post!

Your above point is assuredly taken most seriously.

That duly acknowledged, some years ago I stopped all alcohol intake for a couple of months.

Subsequently in a local hostelry one evening, mate enquires what it was like during my period of abstinence.

I explained how once you see, understand and fully appreciate the harsh reality of life, 'sans alcohol', you realise why you started drinking in the first place...

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
But the riding is helping my physical and mental well-being...
Duly inspired, this is my bike...

IMG_20201123_125737_resize_91.jpg

Hasn't been touched for.... must be some 15+ years - photo does not evidence covering of dust! . Betcha though, there's nothing much wrong with it and if the naturally deflated tyres simply need a bicycle pump...

Could I get this working for a short ride, then take it to local Halfords for an overhaul/service...

Or, is the bike just too old for that being practical...

Update in due course! :cool:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

View attachment 31773

Hasn't been touched for.... must be some 15+ years - photo does not evidence covering of dust! . Betcha though, there's nothing much wrong with it and if the naturally deflated tyres simply need a bicycle pump...

Could I get this working for a short ride, then take it to local Halfords for an overhaul/service...

At first glance the bike looks rideable – the chain doesn't look rusted (from here!) and there's no obvious rust on what I believe is a tig-welded steel frame (at a guess made in the Far East, where pretty much all bikes are made these days). Make sure the brakes work before riding and pump the tyres up pretty hard; if there's air leakage that's probably just a perished inner tube.

And yes, probably worth taking it to Halfords or your local independent bike shop, though book the service first as they're probably busy. The UK Govt has just launched a second round of the £50 bike repair voucher, though the first run was hampered by admin issues, so best not count on this.

Happy (and safe) riding!

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score

View attachment 31773

I think I've still got a bike (pushbike) down the back of the shed. It's raining again but maybe I'll dig it out next dry day - probably about February. I do recall it has drop handlebars, which dates it a bit. It did work fine the last time I used it - i can't see why it shouldn't still be perfectly capable. I've no intention of going off tarmac.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't made in the far east, so I've no worry about the frame falling apart.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
How does one get these vouchers?
If you have a large construction site near you, certainly if you are in London, you should find out if they are running a Changing Places event.
These are run in conjunction with the local constabulary whereby a large construction lorry is parked up and cyclists are invited into the drivers seat to gain an understanding of what limitations the drivers has in seeing cyclists in a number of positions around the cab.
When these are run there is invariably a couple of teams of mechanics in attendance to service and repair cycles, and another team who mark the bikes with a number which then goes on a nationwide database, usually this costs £10 but at the events it is free. There are always bags full of cycling related freebies to give away. These incentives are given as an inducement to cyclists to stop and take part.
Contact your local police to see if they are taking part.

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score
Well, here in the Zebra household things haven't been brilliant this year. We've been working from home since March, the only shops we've visited in the last 8 months have been supermarkets every one or two weeks. We try to get outdoors to open air spaces with the dogs when we can.

My brain fog is noticeably (and worryingly) worse. I struggle to find words on a daily basis now, and my concentration is all to pot. I don't know what day it is most of the time, luckily Mr Zebra fares better on that front as he doesn't have the cognitive issues I have, of course.

But here I am as we speak, the open fire is lit and keeping the coldness of the windy, rainy evening at bay. I look around and see ZebraPup1, looking adorable as always, cuddling up to Mr Zebra who is engrossed in a documentary on telly. ZebraPup2 is walking around with what was once a stuffed dolphin toy but is now little more than a scrap of material but from the proud look on her little face, she treasures it just as much as if it were whole.

So, for a while at least, all is well with the world.

charliebrown

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
The Kaiser Health Organization from Oakland, California with over 300,000 employees hopes doctors are upfront about side effects from the COVID-19 vaccinations.

According to their studies, sides effects include chills, headache, fever, and arm pain.

Kaiser is afraid the vaccination will earn a bad reputation because of side effects.