COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
My main problem with all this lockdown stuff is all the people telling me how awful lockdown is,, whilst I go to work selling scratch cards, alcohol and cigarettes to people who could buy all these things online or in one big shop at a large supermarket. They come in every day, same people, Ten packs of Fosters, twenty Benson and Hedges and five different £2 scratch cards. And then tell me that they are worried about being furloughed in case they lose their jobs.

I am, of course, sympathetic to EVERYONE who is suffering, in whatever form, from lockdown. And those who fear for their jobs. But PLEASE don't stand in front of me, putting me in danger of catching anything you may have, whilst buying stuff that you really should be cutting back on if you are worried for your finances.

Rant over. Sorry people.

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score
My main problem with all this lockdown stuff is all the people telling me how awful lockdown is,, whilst I go to work selling scratch cards, alcohol and cigarettes to people who could buy all these things online or in one big shop at a large supermarket. They come in every day, same people, Ten packs of Fosters, twenty Benson and Hedges and five different £2 scratch cards. And then tell me that they are worried about being furloughed in case they lose their jobs.

I am, of course, sympathetic to EVERYONE who is suffering, in whatever form, from lockdown. And those who fear for their jobs. But PLEASE don't stand in front of me, putting me in danger of catching anything you may have, whilst buying stuff that you really should be cutting back on if you are worried for your finances.

Rant over. Sorry people.
They should offer you one of their cans of Fosters.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score

Rant over. Sorry people.
Maybe they are even more worried about losing their local shop if they don't support it?

charliebrown

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
So soon millions of healthy men, women, and children will be injected with a thrown together COVID-19 vaccination.

What is making me uncomfortable with this situation ?

What are the down the road side effects ?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
So soon millions of healthy men, women, and children will be injected with a thrown together COVID-19 vaccination.

What is making me uncomfortable with this situation ?

What are the down the road side effects ?
According to the anti-vaxxers we're all going to die anyway, so maybe we shouldn't worry about it.

charliebrown

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Supposedly past presidents Clinton, Bush, and Obama will take their vaccination on TV.

Do they get a piece of candy afterwards?

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Do they get to take the 'elite' version of the vaccine?
Elite? You‘ll have to grind all the way to getting an Anaconda and maybe the Admiral rank although you can get it quicker mining asteroids for low temperature diamonds and trading those in. However, I have to say my Elite status may not get me a vaccine any quicker than some OAP who has never even done basic trading in a Sidewinder. Where’s the justice in that?

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
My Dad is bouncy because with his poor (But oddly vibrant) health he will be top of the list.

He is hoping he will get his before Christmas

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Having had my autism topped up with the flag jag I'm relishing the extra superpowers that will be mine once I've had the covid one!!!!!!!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

edit to add: that should be FLAG jag of course. It seems this year's version tops up my dyslexia too :twothumbs:

Last edited:

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
On Friday I learned that my local repertory cinema will close its doors permanently at the end of this month. It was closed for several months during the full lockdown and was of course subject to a lower capacity limit when it reopened. The owner had been planning to retire and last year he established a succession plan but the pandemic scuppered it. The decreased number of cinema goers and the lower number of films being sent by distributors have meant the business has become unsustainable.

I'm not surprised at the news but am nevertheless deeply saddened by it. That cinema opened in 1947 and became a repertory venue in 1988, around the time I moved to this city. It has been a regular part of my entertainment life ever since. It has been years since I set foot in a multiplex chain cinema and I don't plan to do so again. The demise of this repertory cinema feels like the end of an era. :(

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
On Friday I learned that my local repertory cinema will close its doors permanently at the end of this month. It was closed for several months during the full lockdown and was of course subject to a lower capacity limit when it reopened. The owner had been planning to retire and last year he established a succession plan but the pandemic scuppered it. The decreased number of cinema goers and the lower number of films being sent by distributors have meant the business has become unsustainable.

I'm not surprised at the news but am nevertheless deeply saddened by it. That cinema opened in 1947 and became a repertory venue in 1988, around the time I moved to this city. It has been a regular part of my entertainment life ever since. It has been years since I set foot in a multiplex chain cinema and I don't plan to do so again. The demise of this repertory cinema feels like the end of an era. :(
I'm not sure why things like this can't be properly "mothballed" - pay the, I'm assuming, tiny staff and pay the rent, utilities, etc.

There are so many wealthy individuals and yet none of that money ever seems to filter down to things like this.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Been so looking forward to a break in aviemore next week, this year has been a long slog and I NEED the mountains and hills, I was planning to turn 50 in the highlands.

Now a kind sole has told me it's illegal for me to travel to Scotland. I cannot put into words how I am feeling.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
I'm not sure why things like this can't be properly "mothballed" - pay the, I'm assuming, tiny staff and pay the rent, utilities, etc.

There are so many wealthy individuals and yet none of that money ever seems to filter down to things like this.
In an email announcing the closure, the owner said he had received offers of monetary loans and outright gifts from several people. I infer from his comments that the sums offered would not have been sufficient to keep the cinema mothballed for an extended period of time. He expects COVID-19 restrictions to remain in place for another year and I gather he wouldn't be able to keep the business afloat for that length of time. The cinema is a good size with a seating capacity of approximately 650, so I assume the utility bills would be quite high.

The owner also said he hopes someone else will revive the cinema in the post-pandemic world. That's a lovely thought but I don't know if a revival would be possible. I fear the current situation may lead to the demise of cinema-going altogether, be it in independent venues or suburban multiplexes. I hope I'm wrong.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Been so looking forward to a break in aviemore next week, this year has been a long slog and I NEED the mountains and hills, I was planning to turn 50 in the highlands.

Now a kind sole has told me it's illegal for me to travel to Scotland. I cannot put into words how I am feeling.
Go. Fuck ‘em.

maximus otter

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score

Travel for health reasons, surely? :) Or exercise.

On a more serious note, I'm absolutely not going to advise what you should do, that's for you to make up your mind. Just do your research and make an informed decision.

I think the tier 4/level 4/whatever-its-called restrictions are due to change this Friday, so whether that means the 'border' rule will be relaxed or not, I couldn't say. From what I've read I do know that trains, for example, aren't turfing people off before they cross the border!

Have a search about online, see what other discussions are saying about such matters.

Good luck.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Main points of today’s news... 90 year old Grandmother gets to the front of the queue and receives the first ever covid vaccination after spending months in lockdown. Proceeds to occupy the staff for the rest of the day in idle chit chat and looking for her purse while those behind her silently fume.