COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
"must temperature check all passengers at the country of departure. 37.5°+ means that you are barred from boarding. "

That must register a shedload of false positives.
Just lugging my overloaded rucksack around a departure terminal - especially any requiring a very long walk (e.g. Madrid) or where the air-con is ineffective (e.g. a sweltering hot Rhodes), is more than enough to raise my body temperature by half a degree or more.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
"must temperature check all passengers at the country of departure. 37.5°+ means that you are barred from boarding. "
I expect it does, but the tone here is very different (partially owing to cultural-historical factors, no doubt).

Where the UK government has been taking the approach that measure X will not be implemented until and unless they have strong evidence that it will make a significant dent in infection/recovery rates, the Korean government takes the stance that if it is possible that X has a positive effect and no drawbacks beyond inconvenience or expense, it will be implemented until such time as there is strong evidence that it does not have a signifcant effect.

This approach has only been overridden twice that I can see: when the U.S. was not included in the travel ban earlier owing to political concerns, and when a legally enforced lockdown was made voluntary for (partly) historical reasons. People were sensible to stick to it just as if it had been compulsory, so there was no hard done.

Otherwise, speed and overcaution are the lesson that have been inculcated from the SARs and Swine Flu epidemics in East and South-East Asia.

HM Government has been dithering unforgivably from the start.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
"the tone here is very different (partially owing to cultural-historical factors"

Sorry Yith, but I honestly don't know what you mean there.
A temperature scanner at an airport strikes me as a ridiculously blunt instrument, which could well be counterproductive in identifying large numbers of hot, sweaty and overburdened travellers.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

That must register a shedload of false positives.
Just lugging my overloaded rucksack around a departure terminal - especially any requiring a very long walk (e.g. Madrid) or where the air-con is ineffective (e.g. a sweltering hot Rhodes), is more than enough to raise my body temperature by half a degree or more.
Those people who trigger an alarm would be taken aside to a medical examination room, where they can be tested more thoroughly.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
"the tone here is very different (partially owing to cultural-historical factors"

A temperature scanner at an airport strikes me as a ridiculously blunt instrument, which could well be counterproductive in identifying large numbers of hot, sweaty and overburdened travellers.
An airport temperature scanner really just scans skin temperature. Core temperature must be measured to confirm the virus.

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
HM Governent has been dithering unforgivably from the start.
Maybe they're not dithering, maybe they're milking it.

Ageing populations and lower birth rates has presented the developed world with a problem that won't go away, unless...

Tighter controls over the population are easier to achieve when there is an outside threat, when people are scared.

These are all in the Totalitarians Beginners Guide.

I believe attacking the press is another tactic. Has anyone been doing that yet?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

The 'tone' is not in the part you've quoted but in the part that follows.

What you say though, rather illustrates my point: inconveniencing travellers is way down the list of concerns. False positives from that 'blunt weapon' are seen as an unfortunate outcome, but it isn't going to stop the practice as, true enough, a good number of those infected have a fever.

Plus, there are no longer large numbers of travellers at any airport in Korea. Last time I checked it was somewhere around 3-4,000 arrivals per day, a large majority of which are Koreans returning home. I believe it's now higher, but these are quite manageable numbers. Edit: c.18,000 for the whole of May, not including air crew, down from 1.4 million last May.

The point is that 'imported cases' are largely stopped at the gate here at a time when figures from major nations are soaring. You may or may not think it's overkill, but it's been very effective at preventing deaths, which locally is seen as sufficient justification for any meaure taken. That's the 'tone' I speak of.

There have been a total of 301 Covid-19 caused deaths here in a population of 52-ish million. How many have died in similarly populated England? I wish the British government had done far more to protect my relatives. So far, they've gone untouched, but this horror show isn't over.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
An airport temperature scanner really just scans skin temperature. Core temperature must be measured to confirm the virus.
Yes. Everyone travelling to another country should have an anal probe before departure, during the flight, and on arrival. While passenger numbers may go down, a socially-distanced seat is pretty much guaranteed. And if the airline upgrades this facility to a premium service costing much more than the average seat price and chucks in a champagne enema and advertises to “select’ clientele, I can’t see the airline losing money to be honest.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I’m not sure exactly where Yith is but it seems they have a well-measured procedure to deal with this and one that everyone understands. Here in the UK, the approach reminds me of this....

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Yes. Everyone travelling to another country should have an anal probe before departure, during the flight, and on arrival. While passenger numbers may go down, a socially-distanced seat is pretty much guaranteed. And if the airline upgrades this facility to a premium service costing much more than the average seat price and chucks in a champagne enema and advertises to “select’ clientele, I can’t see the airline losing money to be honest.
Haha, no - they stick an electronic thermometer in your ear.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Our new official UK government slogan is "hands, face, space" .. so there you go then .. that should sort this all out .. a snappy slogan ..

Swifty

Reaction score
I’m not sure exactly where Yith is but it seems they have a well-measured procedure to deal with this and one that everyone understands. Here in the UK, the approach reminds me of this....

This whole year so far reminds me of that scene. I also badly want someone to CGI up the epic fight scene in Capenter's They Live but instead of Roddy Piper trying to force his mate to wear those sunglasses, it should be re done with a blue paper face mask ...... same thing .... imagine this scene but with a face mask in his hand instead .. breathers, they're everywhere or as we call them, 'space invaders' ..

Last edited:

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Our new official UK government slogan is "hands, face, space" .. so there you go then .. that should sort this all out .. a snappy slogan ..
Is it? I’m still on ‘Be Alert‘. But even though I am ‘Being Alert’, I can’t keep up with the new rules. I saw Andy Burnham being interviewed this morning but previous alertness tells me Fate Has Made Him Indestructible so I don’t know what is what anymore.
1596228208924.jpeg

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
Last edited:

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
An interesting blog article from the British Society of Criminolgy about how disabled people are being affected by the current coronavirus regulations and a (mainly) ignorant general public. If only HM govt. had thought about the effects on disabled people and publicised the need to be understanding to the rest of the population as highly as the regulations.

https://thebscblog.wordpress.com/20...ulation-victimises-disabled-people-in-the-uk/

....Soon after the introduction of mandatory face coverings on public transport, disabled people started to contact the author. At the time of writing 46 notifications had been expressed. One female, who could not wear anything covering her face because of breathing difficulties, was ridiculed by another passenger. The perpetrator addressed fellow train passengers whilst pointing to the victim and blaming her for ‘deliberately infecting other people’ and ‘trying to bring other’s down to her level’.

In a similar attack where the victim was portrayed similar to ‘the star of a freak show’, a female perpetrator shouted above the head of the wheelchair-using victim saying that ‘everyone should stand well clear – this one isn’t wearing a mask’. The offender also stated, whilst specifying the victim, that ‘these people are a threat to us all’....

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Haha, no - they stick an electronic thermometer in your ear.
Tympanic thermometers are usually only as accurate as non-contact thermometers. Tympanic have their own issues and are a pain in the ars.. ear to use. Non-contact has its advantages, speed, reduced risk to the user, cost. Tympanic you need a probe cover too.

Also to say non-contact only measure purely skin temp is a bit simplistic. I believe it works out your core temp from your skin temp.

Tympanic and axillary thermometers take a bit of skill to use to get an accurate reading.

Internal thermometers are the best but not the most practical on this scale.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This Iowa small town volunteer fire department is wondering how pandemic measures will affect their biggest annual fund-raising event - a Halloween haunted house.
Coronavirus leaving haunted house events in jeopardy

Coronavirus has the future of one Halloween tradition up in the air, haunted houses. Workers at Garrison’s Haunted are starting their preparation for the haunted house now. They said it’s hard to scare people from 6 feet away, but they will if they have to. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.kcrg.com/2020/07/31/coronavirus-leaving-haunted-house-events-in-jeopardy/

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

Is that why the UK has been having problems with track and trace. Faulty flamethrowers?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a subtle indirect effect of pandemic measures ... The reduction in air traffic in turn eliminated the majority of aircraft weather reports fed into national / regional / global forecasting this past spring, and this demonstrably degraded forecast accuracy.
COVID-19 Is Disrupting Weather Forecasts – Here’s How

Weather forecasts have become less accurate during the COVID-19 pandemic due to the reduction in commercial flights, according to new research.

A new study in AGU’s journal Geophysical Research Letters finds the world lost 50-75% of its aircraft weather observations between March and May of this year, when many flights were grounded due to the pandemic.

Aircraft typically inform weather forecasts by recording information about air temperature, relative humidity, air pressure and wind along their flight path. With significantly fewer planes in the sky this spring, forecasts of these meteorological conditions have become less accurate and the impact is more pronounced as forecasts extend further out in time, according to the study, which is part of an ongoing special collection of research in AGU journals related to the current pandemic. ...

Weather forecasts are an essential part of daily life, but inaccurate forecasts can also impact the economy, according to Ying Chen, a senior research associate at the Lancaster Environment Centre in Lancaster, United Kingdom and lead author of the new study. The accuracy of weather forecasts can impact agriculture as well as the energy sector and stability of the electrical grid. Wind turbines rely on accurate forecasts of windspeed and energy companies depend on temperature forecasts to predict what the energy load will be each day as people crank up their air conditioning.

“If this uncertainty goes over a threshold, it will introduce unstable voltage for the electrical grid,” Chen said. “That could lead to a blackout, and I think this is the last thing we want to see in this pandemic.”

The regions most impacted by the reduction in weather forecasts have been those with normally heavy air traffic, like the United States, southeast China and Australia, as well as isolated regions like the Sahara Desert, Greenland and Antarctica. Western Europe is a notable exception: its weather forecasts have been relatively unaffected despite the number of aircraft over the region dropping by 80-90%.

This was surprising, Chen said. Chen suspects the region has been able to avoid inaccuracies because it has a densely-packed network of ground-based weather stations and balloon measurements to compensate for the lack of aircraft. ...
FULL STORY:
https://scitechdaily.com/covid-19-is-disrupting-weather-forecasts-heres-how/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
First civil cases, now an arrest.

South Korea has arrested the leader of a religious sect linked to the country's largest coronavirus outbreak.

Lee Man-hee, 88, heads the Shincheonji Church of Jesus. More than 5,000 of its members became infected, making up 36% of all Covid-19 cases in the country. The authorities accuse him of hiding information about the group's members and gatherings from contact tracers.

The church says Mr Lee was concerned for his members' privacy, but never hid information from the authorities.

South Korea currently has 14,336 coronavirus cases, and 300 deaths.

Mr Lee was arrested early on Saturday, following an investigation. A judge said there were signs that evidence related to the case was being destroyed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53620633

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Absolute fury in Liverpool over the cancellation of live music at the last moment. Pubs packed , restaurants packed, no masks. Concert square full of people getting jiggy. Police not intervening.

Shops empty, streets full of beggars not getting money for food - or, admittedly, drugs - because no-one is carrying cash any more. One of the beggars was a young girl six months pregnant. Stuff Covid if we can't solve problems like that we don't deserve to live.

I'd gone in to Liverpool (the real capital of North Wales) precisely because of the live music, as some of my friends would finally be allowed to earn a living again. But I think the Government have lost the audience - they are in the position of someone on a bright sunny day who won't go outside because the weather forecast says its raining.