COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The UK press have been discussing a possible lockdown within the M25 motorway, and also one for over 50's.

I believe it is the government's way of "early warning" us for either or both if things get bad in the autumn.

Eyespy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Where i live 60% population is over 60. Take out those of us over 50 and the streets will be empty. Im in a similar position to Myth, so can I be a Cam Girl too- whatever that is?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The UK press have been discussing a possible lockdown within the M25 motorway, and also one for over 50's.

I believe it is the government's way of "early warning" us for either or both if things get bad in the autumn.
So now I won't be able to visit my Mum?
Getting angry now... what are they playing at?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
No masks or social distancing there.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Although it is difficult to believe reading all the doomsday stuff, everyone I know is still alive, despite two cancer victims not getting treatment and my cousin having to take her daughter to Russia to get MS treatment unavailable here.

Who exactly are we saving the NHS for?

I'm tired of all this. Die if you want to, otherwise just get on with it. Everyone has to die sometime, and almost all of us die when at least someone can wail 'what a waste' ' lives before money' etc. Rubbish. Life is a journey, not a destination.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
The important thing to take away from all this is why do we do anything?
To help yourself and screw other people?
Help yourself and also other people?
Or do something to prove a point to someone online who doesn't care in reality?
It is possible to make your own choices for the best for yourself (and family) and consider the needs of others. "Suit yourself and screw anyone else!" is so very 1980's and proven to be a ... dickmove.
If you don't give a shit if you die, that's your choice. Taking people with you is not.

It's like the (now I hope redundant) attitude of YOLO - You Only Live Once. You could take it as the slogan to enjoy life, get the thrills, take risks, feck anyone else who gets caught up.
You could also take it as you only get one shot at life so feckin' value that chance. We all take risks ... but they are 'calculated risks'. When you get older you don't become less brave, you appreciate the risks. I'll still do stupid things - on my own cognisance - but I won't take anyone down with me. I have done very stupid things and I'm not proud of them ... I won't advise others to do it 'just for shits 'n' giggles!'

Cochise

Reaction score
Although it is difficult to believe reading all the doomsday stuff, everyone I know is still alive, despite two cancer victims not getting treatment and my cousin having to take her daughter to Russia to get MS treatment unavailable here.

Who exactly are we saving the NHS for?
We're saving the NHS for me, my friends and my family. And millions of others. Thanks for your concern.
No, you aren't. Unless they have Covid-19 you will find it virtually impossible to get treatment. My cousin has had to take her daughter to Russia to get treatment for her MS.

The mindless worship of the dysfunctional NHS is about as credible for those of us who have been treated elsewhere in the world as worship of the Spaghetti Monster.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
No, you aren't. Unless they have Covid-19 you will find it virtually impossible to get treatment. My cousin has had to take her daughter to Russia to get treatment for her MS.

The mindless worship of the dysfunctional NHS is about as credible for those of us who have been treated elsewhere in the world as worship of the Spaghetti Monster.
NHS staff used to be able to walk into any job around the world as they were the best. Just because countless governments have gutted the service does not mean the people who work in it are not to be valued.

You obviously have no idea what it is like to to go to work and potentially contract the virus and yet still get up every day and go in. This has killed our health staff, bus drivers, etc.

You need to stop commenting on this.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score

I had a cataract operation and later a superquick emergency operation on a detached retina. The NHS saved the sight of that eye and I won’t hear a word said against them. I wonder how much that treatment would have cost in other countries.

Cochise

Reaction score
I had a cataract operation and later a superquick emergency operation on a detached retina. The NHS saved the sight of that eye and I won’t hear a word said against them. I wonder how much that treatment would have cost in other countries.
Similar to what it costs here - you just pay in a different (and, I agree fairer) way.

Cochise

Reaction score
NHS staff used to be able to walk into any job around the world as they were the best. Just because countless governments have gutted the service does not mean the people who work in it are not to be valued.

You obviously have no idea what it is like to to go to work and potentially contract the virus and yet still get up every day and go in. This has killed our health staff, bus drivers, etc.

Actually If I worked in the NHS I would have carried on just as they have. It's the job, you know? Or are you under the impression that people have only died since Covid-19 was invented? Or that no other jobs have a risk of death?

The world has truly gone mad.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not necessary, but I would say that it is encumbent upon us all to check our sources and read back our posts before submitting them to make sure that we aren't adding to the awesome heap of bullshit the response to this pandemic has already produced.

Dissent is healthy, but make it informed.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
If the NHS is dysfunctional, surely the most sensible course of action is to find out why it is, and what has contributed it to being dysfunctional.
Keeping in mind it may not be a nationwide problem.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
awesome heap of bullshit the response to this pandemic has already produced
Whaaaaat? Surely it's all an excellent, well reasoned, and totally well thought through, measured response......etc

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Singapore-Style Wafer.

A vicar has been using chopsticks to give out Holy Communion in an effort to help her parishioners feel less at risk from coronavirus.

The Rev Eileen Harrop came up with the idea when churches reopened for public worship after lockdown rules changed. Mrs Harrop said the chopsticks helped her to keep her distance from worshippers at St Mary's in Gainford, County Durham. The vicar, who left Singapore for the UK in 1979, was ordained in 2012. Mrs Harrop, who also serves at St Andrew's in Winston, has been using chunkier bread rather than wafers for Communion as it is easier to grip.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-53723824

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
That's not necessary, but I would say that it is encumbent upon us all to check our sources and read back our posts before submitting them to make sure that we aren't adding to the awesome heap of bullshit the response to this pandemic has already produced.

Dissent is healthy, but make it informed.
It was more to do with Cochise's and our mental health that I was worried about.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It was more to do with Cochise's and our mental health that I was worried about.
My apologies.

I read your message entirely differently and thought you were telling him to stop posting on this topic because he was wrong.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
20200806000537_0.jpg

Starting Wednesday, the Seongdong-gu District Office runs smart bus shelters at its 10 busiest bus stations in the district to improve the public transit experience in and around the bus stop.

The district is the first to introduce a bus shelter equipped with ultraviolet light air sterilizers for preventing transmission of airborne viruses. The air sterilizer breaks up 96 percent to 99 percent of virus particles, according to Song Jun-myoung, a chief of policy managing division at the office who managed the project.

An intelligent surveillance camera shows when buses are approaching to the station through a digital screen installed inside. Passengers can charge their phones and access free Wi-Fi. An automatic screen door blocks people with a high fever from entering the booth after checking their body temperature with a thermal imaging camera. A digital signage screen installed inside the shelter provides information on bus and subway services. An uninterruptible power supply system enables the booth to run with emergency backup power from a solar panel on its roof when the input power source fails.

More details:
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200806000634

Cochise

Reaction score
I'm all right - well as far as i can be given a lot of unfortunate events in the last few years. but I am very concerned for family members who seem unable to get their cancer treatments and their on-going MS therapy (it's genetic in part of my family) I don't think one disease should have priority over any other - indeed, I thought that was why the Nightingale hospitals were set up, to deal with Covid-19 patients without disabling the NHS's ongoing commitments.

Nothing I say should be interpreted as an attack on the NHS 'frontline' - it is the cumbersome and I suspect medically illiterate bureaucracy behind them that concerns me. I'd much rather repair to the original model of the NHS when it was run by qualified doctors.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Face masks have risen to prominence this year - first as protective gear, and later in part as customized fashion accessories. The mask has now emerged at the level of status symbols.
Israeli jeweler makes $1.5m gold coronavirus mask

An Israeli jewelry company is working on what it says will be the world’s most expensive coronavirus mask, a gold, diamond-encrusted face covering with a price tag of $1.5 million.

The 18-karat white gold mask will be decorated with 3,600 white and black diamonds and fitted with top-rated N99 filters at the request of the buyer, said designer Isaac Levy.

Levy, owner of the Yvel company, said the buyer had two other demands: that it be completed by the end of the year, and that it would be the priciest in the world. That last condition, he said, “was the easiest to fulfill.”

He declined to identify the buyer, but said he was a Chinese businessman living in the United States.

The glitzed-up face mask may lend some pizzazz to the protective gear now mandatory in public spaces in many countries. But at 270 grams (over half a pound) — nearly 100 times that of a typical surgical mask — it is not likely to be a practical accessory to wear. ...
FULL STORY (With Photo Of The Work In Progress):
https://apnews.com/a88a0768f236d947dc4b356c3411106b