COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
or just very stressed.
Quite .. I've just had to tip toe through the tulips regarding someone messing me around over the last 10 days .. at first I thought she was being difficult on purpose, then I thought what would she gain under those circumstances? .. nothing .. she's going though a messed up time, 'the Mrs' offered to 'help out' but I've managed to slow things down and resolve the issue .. phew ..

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Be careful with the hand sanitiser, an FB friend posted this about her husband:

Sonny set his hand on fire at work. He only got the hairs singed off his hand. If you smoke, make certain your hands are dry. Hand sanitizer caught fire as he was lighting up.

Comment

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Be careful with the hand sanitiser, an FB friend posted this about her husband:

Sonny set his hand on fire at work. He only got the hairs singed off his hand. If you smoke, make certain your hands are dry. Hand sanitizer caught fire as he was lighting up.

Comment
Prior to all this happening I used to set fire to alcohol hand sanitiser at work, there was probably a reason for doing so other than being fun.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Shows it’s got a decent amount of alcohol, but don’t drink it!
When my Dad spent some time in hospital, he noticed that the hospital staff were always having to replace the hand sanitiser mounted on the wall out in the corridor near his bed. A member of staff told him that they had an alcoholic in the next ward who was drinking it!

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
When my Dad spent some time in hospital, he noticed that the hospital staff were always having to replace the hand sanitiser mounted on the wall out in the corridor near his bed. A member of staff told him that they had an alcoholic in the next ward who was drinking it!
Wow. I would not have thought even the most desperate alcoholic would have gone there.

Carse

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Wow. I would not have thought even the most desperate alcoholic would have gone there.
The daughter of an acquaintance of mine drank a large bottle of hand sanitiser as part of an unsuccessful suicide attempt in April and it caused her all sorts of grievous internal injuries. She’s still seriously unwell now and probably will never recover entirely.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

We've mentioned it here before - it's common in prisons and mental health units to keep an eye on the sanitizers - folk mix it with pop or juice. Really stupid as industrial-strength alcohols certainly are risky.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
The daughter of an acquaintance of mine drank a large bottle of hand sanitiser as part of an unsuccessful suicide attempt in April and it caused her all sorts of grievous internal injuries. She’s still seriously unwell now and probably will never recover entirely.

Unfortunately, that's the risk of being unsuccessful. I wish social media would focus on this rather than perpetuating suicide and self-harm.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
The Welsh and I clearly differ as to the definition of 'essential'.

ElFJIfwWkAExopb.jpeg.jpg

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
An opportunity for Max to get some shooting in.

In the bright, magical world of Dublin non-essential retail earlier this week (before the mass shutterings on Wednesday), the strains of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer merrily received an October airing over one sound system, as well they might. We won’t be hearing or groaning at its likes again until Nphet says it’s okay. Meanwhile, over in Cold Hesledon, Co Durham in the northeast of England, a chill wind has blown through the local rent-a-reindeer business, where a herd of some 110 reindeer normally despatched to shopping centres, schools and winter wonderlands is this year coping with a 95 per cent plunge in bookings. Maybe in a few decades’ time there will be a Pixar movie in this, but for now it is just one more forlorn example of how Christmas commerce – and festive awe – has been unwound by a virus that, like Rudolph, will go down in history.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...exxonmobil-call-that-never-happened-1.4387268

Ogdred Weary

The Lich-King of Angmar
Reaction score
An opportunity for Max to get some shooting in.

In the bright, magical world of Dublin non-essential retail earlier this week (before the mass shutterings on Wednesday), the strains of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer merrily received an October airing over one sound system, as well they might. We won’t be hearing or groaning at its likes again until Nphet says it’s okay. Meanwhile, over in Cold Hesledon, Co Durham in the northeast of England, a chill wind has blown through the local rent-a-reindeer business, where a herd of some 110 reindeer normally despatched to shopping centres, schools and winter wonderlands is this year coping with a 95 per cent plunge in bookings. Maybe in a few decades’ time there will be a Pixar movie in this, but for now it is just one more forlorn example of how Christmas commerce – and festive awe – has been unwound by a virus that, like Rudolph, will go down in history.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...exxonmobil-call-that-never-happened-1.4387268

But they may see a 95% increase in sales for venison. Every cloud and all that.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Thats the problem, the beasts are very seasonable.

And what is this thing with having Tarandus for Christmas? When we were young we always had a toy one.

Too many useless beasts taking up space that could be used for productive animals in this country, methinks.

Kondoru had the conservation grazing conversation today.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
But they may see a 95% increase in sales for venison. Every cloud and all that.

Regrettably, no. The current insanity means that large amounts of last year’s venison is still hanging in estates’ freezers, and game dealers won’t take it even at “pussy’s pieces” prices.

This will have a knock-on for the countryside, as deer managers who need to regulate the UK’s burgeoning deer population are now in a quandary:

a) Cull the requisite numbers of deer, and then wonder what to do with the meat, or;

b) Don’t cull, and watch farmers’ crops, tree plantations, endangered wild flowers and wild birds’ nesting areas vanish down deers’ rapacious gullets.

Also witness the human and financial toll from deer/car RTAs (74,000 last year with hundreds of injuries and 20 deaths).

maximus otter

Ogdred Weary

The Lich-King of Angmar
Reaction score
Regrettably, no. The current insanity means that large amounts of last year’s venison is still hanging in estates’ freezers, and game dealers won’t take it even at “pussy’s pieces” prices.

This will have a knock-on for the countryside, as deer managers who need to regulate the UK’s burgeoning deer population are now in a quandary:

a) Cull the requisite numbers of deer, and then wonder what to do with the meat, or;

b) Don’t cull, and watch farmers’ crops, tree plantations, endangered wild flowers and wild birds’ nesting areas vanish down deers’ rapacious gullets.

Also witness the human and financial toll from deer/car RTAs (74,000 last year with hundreds of injuries and 20 deaths).

maximus otter

How does covid effect venison sales?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
How does covid effect venison sales?

If no-one can leave their homes, it's a bit difficult to buy venison. If you've had to go on furlough and take a 20% drop in wages, venison isn't a priority. If you've lost your job...etc.

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
If no-one can leave their homes, it's a bit difficult to buy venison. If you've had to go on furlough and take a 20% drop in wages, venison isn't a priority. If you've lost your job...etc.

maximus otter
The venison burgers I bought recently were slightly cheaper than the ordinary burgers. So if those people wanted to save a few pennies, they'd buy venison.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Im not overtly fond of it.

And those are probably farmed deer, not the pest ones.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Im not overtly fond of it.

And those are probably farmed deer, not the pest ones.
The burgers that I found have pig fat and a bit of pork in them, to stop them tasting dry. The fat adds extra taste.
Recommended!

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Oh, you make me hungry now.

I do eat venison; I just prefer other things.

Its not like rabbit which I wont eat at all.