COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
And if I have to watch The Wrong Trousers again I’m going postal.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Frankly, I’m finding these new guidlines on how to live my life totally confusing.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Not anytime soon according to the Metropolitan Police Federation boss Ken Marsh ..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...istmas-festive-bubble-cancelled-millions.html
Priti Patel urges people to report neighbours who flout Christmas bubble rules.

From the Mail report you cite:

National Police Chiefs' Council Chair, Martin Hewitt, said: “
We urge everyone to follow the rules in their area. Those who blatantly ignore the regulations should expect to receive a fixed penalty notice.

...the Metropolitan Police will deploy officers to 'take action against those people whose selfish action risks jeopardising the health of Londoners'.

Commander Alex Murray, said: 'Across the city, officers will be deployed to take action against those people whose selfish action risks jeopardising the health of Londoners. Likewise, we will continue our joint enforcement with London's 32 local authorities – clamping down on those businesses that also flout the rules and put health at risk.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...istmas-festive-bubble-cancelled-millions.html

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
This is not people peacefully passing away in their sleep, this is people gasping for their last breath in absolute agony.
As opposed to those dying of cancer, heart failure etc., who are wreathed in smiles and surrounded by the scent of lavender and celestial harp music?

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
As opposed to those dying of cancer, heart failure etc., who are wreathed in smiles and surrounded by the scent of lavender and celestial harp music?

maximus otter
Firm disagreement without mordancy.

giphy-2.gif

Last edited:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
And if I have to watch The Wrong Trousers again I’m going postal.
Oooh....I haven't seen "Flight of the Navigator" for a long time!
Only 3 times a week for the past 10 months!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Priti Patel urges people to report neighbours who flout Christmas bubble rules.

From the Mail report you cite:

National Police Chiefs' Council Chair, Martin Hewitt, said: “
We urge everyone to follow the rules in their area. Those who blatantly ignore the regulations should expect to receive a fixed penalty notice.

...the Metropolitan Police will deploy officers to 'take action against those people whose selfish action risks jeopardising the health of Londoners'.

Commander Alex Murray, said: 'Across the city, officers will be deployed to take action against those people whose selfish action risks jeopardising the health of Londoners. Likewise, we will continue our joint enforcement with London's 32 local authorities – clamping down on those businesses that also flout the rules and put health at risk.”

maximus otter
As harsh as it is, it's the lesser of two evils in the long run it we're being told the truth about this new 70% faster infection rate factor.

I've just had to deal with an awkward situation at my house .. the Mrs is going out for a Christmas lunch with one of our old friends. We were waiting for him to ring the doorbell, his present was wrapped but he decided to just knock then walk into our house instead. He's a community carer from 6am to around 10pm every day so he's used to having to knock and walk into service user's houses .. and he's a bit deaf and also has a big personality so he's very loud when he speaks .. so he's sat in my armchair laughing and booming away and our neighbours who've been following all the rules were hovering outside their front garden .. great.

So I quickly rearranged our backyard and unlocked the back gate so they could both leave that way or sit out there instead for a bit longer to the Mrs's relief. I'm waiting for the gossip to start now. Thanks a bunch Stuart ffs.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Are you expecting to receive a fixed penalty notice for blatantly ignoring the regulations then?
Your neighbours sound like a barrel of fun.
You must remember to make sure to help them out all through the year with any little things that might be nice, like taking in a parcel for them, or watering their plants when they go on holiday, etc etc.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Are you expecting to receive a fixed penalty notice for blatantly ignoring the regulations then?
You must remember to make sure to help them out all through the year with any little things that might be nice, like taking in a parcel for them, or watering their plants when they go on holiday, etc etc.
Pee on their plants.

Swifty

Reaction score
I except the police would have had to actually catch him in our house for us to get in trouble. I got him out sharpish so if anyone says anything I can either deny it completely and lie or explain what really happened. We've had zero house guests this year, they've had friends in their back garden when they've been allowed to occasionally which is fair enough, no problem with that. Someone tried to encourage me to snitch on them somehow a couple of weeks ago but unless they're having some blatant massive piss take party, that aint going to happen mate, plus they weren't doing anything wrong. They're good people and good fun. The don't even allow the parents in to see the grandkids, the parents stand in the front garden shouting through the window so they're doing their bit to keep everyone safe though personal sacrifice. We're starving this virus to death.

Last edited:

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes, Pearl Harbor was bad and so was WWII in general. However people who lived through the Great Depression don't remember it fondly either, and that is where we will soon be.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Well Dr. Fauci,

Americans are not listening!

AAA Auto Club which tracks travel predicts 85 million American will drive this Christmas.

Cheap gasoline prices are driving this travel surge.

Here come the coronavirus two weeks later.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Restrictions good or bad, a couple of things occurred to me.
Firstly, as far as I've heard, viruses mutate to new strains when there is an increase in spread. In effect, the more it breeds the more the opportunity to mutate. So the question arises - where did this new strain come from? An area where care hasn't been taken? Does this mean that the people of the South East has been ... ah ... somewhat lax over behaviour?
Secondly, the 'new' tier is a farce. Son of Tier 3 ... Tier 3a. Tier 1 - moderate risk, Tier 2 - high risk, Tier 3 - very high risk. Tier 4 - Oh gosh? Tier 4 - We're doomed? I think the 'bright sparks' at the top set the bar too high from the beginning.
Thirdly, much of the outrage comes from a lack of forewarning. Now this might be a tad political but the government has consistently tried to play the kindly uncle. "We won't tell you what to do - we'll suggest things". In effect, I think, putting off the inevitable rather than be burned for being a grinch.
Seeing the news reports of "refugees" fleeing Tier 4 ahead of the lock down just brings home the farce of 'trusting the common sense of the people". When they say "only travel when necessary", everyone it seems only ever makes necessary journeys. The arrival of a family two days ago in a holiday flat above us tells all. They do own it - and rent it out - but obviously it was necessary for them to be locked down for Christmas in a nice, seaside holiday apartment rather than at home. I make no judgement apart from using them as an example of how many people can rationalise their actions.
The coppers are overworked at this time of year anyhow, so I can't see them responding to every neighbourhood nark with a fine. They have some discretion and a brief chat will suffice, just to show the Curtain Gestapo they've responded. After all, the courts are already stretched and the amount of appeals will flood in. On Xmas Eve? Xmas Day? You want P.C. Dave to roll up and force (possibly drunken) visitors to drive back home? Aint gonna happen, Priti Patel or no.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
So the question arises - where did this new strain come from? An area where care hasn't been taken? Does this mean that the people of the South East has been ... ah ... somewhat lax over behaviour?
Or they're in the catchment area of one or more major airports... such as Heathrow?

Trevp666

Reaction score
I'm trying to think of somewhere I can make an unnecessary journey to.

Problem is that as soon as I decide on a destination, the journey part of it becomes necessary - otherwise, how am I going to get there???

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of somewhere I can make an unnecessary journey to.

Problem is that as soon as I decide on a destination, the journey part of it becomes necessary - otherwise, how am I going to get there???
Ah well, what you do is you set off toward your chosen necessary destination, and then randomly (say, when the car clock reaches a certain time or your favourite song comes on the CD player) make a left or right turning at the next junction, thus making it now an unplanned and therefore unnecessary journey.

Then on the way back you take unnecessary turnings-off onto unnecessary roads until you get back to where you came from.

;)

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Aww, you forgot the slightly-wilting bunch of flowers!
Just to lighten the mood. i'm a romantic person, but, in the usual English way, generally incapable of expressing it.

I once, however, bought my wife a bunch of roses from a street seller. She was pleased and astonished. But I entirely screwed up the moment by admitting I bought them because I felt sorry for the seller who was out in the pouring rain.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I wasn't actually talking about a vaccine when I referred to "trying to eradicate covid-19" - I was referring to the governments' notion that they could eradicate the virus by locking us all down for weeks/months on end as if it would just completely stop it in its tracks (remember the proclamations about "we've almost stopped it" etc?).

I don't know where you get the idea that I read the Daily Express; I neither read it nor other tabloid newspapers, nor do I use social media (facebook, twitter, instagram, what-have-you). I read and listen to a variety of sources and form a wide opinion of things. I'd appreciate if you gave me the courtesy of accepting that, regardless of the fact that we clearly don't share the same viewpoints on this matter (which is fine, of course!) :)

As for the thousands of public health scientists - the problem there is that there are a great deal of them who think that the government and their advisers have got it badly wrong. I assume you've heard of the Great Barrington Declaration, for example? https://gbdeclaration.org/
It's certainly not straightforward at all to say that one "believes" or "doesn't believe" the science - there are so many science and medical opinions on this matter.

I am happy for your family members who have got the treatment that they needed. But I am not spreading lies; what I said was that for many people the NHS has not been there for them.

Here are just a few select examples, but I'm sure there are many others.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-treatment-stopped-covid-coronavirus-19419465

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/terminally-ill-cancer-patients-only-19218962

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-55300747

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-53382950

This recent BBC story talks about the delays: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55234280

Here is a British Medical Association article about it: https://www.bma.org.uk/media/2841/the-hidden-impact-of-covid_web-pdf.pdf

This is a website called Pulse, which is for Health Professionals: https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/analysis/cover-feature/the-national-covid-service/

And here's another BMA one: https://www.bma.org.uk/news-and-opi...w-the-nhs-will-look-once-covid-19-has-receded

Yes some people are lucky enough to still get treatment; but some are not. Please don't assume that just because the health service is functioning well for you and yours, that it is also functioning well for everybody.

The same, of course, applies in reverse when talking about the virus itself; Mr Zebra and I do not know anyone who has had covid-19, but that doesn't mean we don't believe it exists.
Elective and semi elective surgery waiting times has been growing steadily again since 2016 - nothing to do with the virus.

If we'd planned for this as everyone knew something like this was on its way and actually kept the health service funded then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Huge amounts of people work Christmas every year, just to give the younger staff time with their kids. I think all the woe is me stuff is a bit overboard.

I get some people won't see another Christmas and likely that includes members of my family but if we don't stop this there's going to be a lot more who don't make it either.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So the question arises - where did this new strain come from? An area where care hasn't been taken? Does this mean that the people of the South East has been ... ah ... somewhat lax over behaviour?

"Nick Loman, professor of microbial genomics and bioinformation at the University of Birmingham, told a briefing by the Science Media Centre on 15 December that the variant was first spotted in late September and now accounts for 20% of viruses sequenced in Norfolk, 10% in Essex, and 3% in Suffolk. “There are no data to suggest it had been imported from abroad, so it is likely to have evolved in the UK,” he said."

More here:

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4857

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
"Nick Loman, professor of microbial genomics and bioinformation at the University of Birmingham, told a briefing by the Science Media Centre on 15 December that the variant was first spotted in late September and now accounts for 20% of viruses sequenced in Norfolk, 10% in Essex, and 3% in Suffolk. “There are no data to suggest it had been imported from abroad, so it is likely to have evolved in the UK,” he said."

More here:

East Anglia is pretty weird as it is.

Swifty

Reaction score

More here:

If the variant is more common in East Anglia, I wonder why East Anglia still remains in tier 2? .. unless that involves a political answer which we don't go into here of course.