COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Maybe it's named the English variant simply because it was first identified here some weeks ago. It's now been found in such diverse countries as Finland, Iceland, Denmark, Netherlands, Australia, S. Korea . Whether it was carried there from the UK or arose as a natural mutation maybe impossible to tell.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A young German pilot meticulously traced the figure of a giant syringe in the sky to celebrate the inaugural COVID-19 vaccinations in Germany.

syringe_flight_path_germany_1024.jpg
A Pilot Traced a Giant Syringe in The Sky to Celebrate The COVID-19 Vaccine

A young German pilot said Sunday he traced a giant syringe in the sky as a way of marking the start of Germany's roll out of vaccines against the coronavirus.

Samy Kramer, a 20-year-old amateur pilot, had carefully plotted out the route he needed to take in advance in order to create the effect in the skies above Baden-Wuerttemberg. ...

The manoeuvres included a number of 90-degree turns during the flight on Wednesday that lasted one hour and 40 minutes and covered around 280 kilometres (170 miles).

The syringe could be seen on the Flightradar website. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/a-pilo...-in-the-sky-to-celebrate-the-covid-19-vaccine

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Or boobs.

Personally I think he was out for a bender excuse.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
In Spain there will be a register of people who refuse the Covid vaccine.

The vaccine will not be mandatory, said Health Minister Salvador Illa, but whoever decides not to do so will be included in a "register" which will then be shared with other European Union countries.

The document - another clarification of the minister - "will not be public" and will be compiled "in full respect of privacy".

But the fact that it will be shared with other EU countries may lead to a ban on travel for those who refuse the drug. Not to mention the fact that Spain's decision could pave the way for similar measures in other European countries.

https://www.unionesarda.it/en/artic...-il-vaccino-sara-condiviso-c-137-1098221.html

maximus otter

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The wife got a message from the app this morning saying she has to self isolate as she was in contact with someone on the 27th who has tested positive for Coronavirus. The only person she was in contact with on that day for the required 15 minutes was me. We walked the dogs together, and we nodded, hello, to a few dog owners we are familiar with but were not in contact for more than a few seconds. Despite the fact we have been together throughout I haven’t been notified that I have been in contact with said infected person.

My son also had a notification this morning because of a contact with a positive person on the 22nd. He never left home on the 22nd, 23rd, 24th or 25th. On the 26th he woke up with a cold, full of mucus etc and has stayed in bed since. He lives in his Mother’s house and she has been his only contact but she hasn’t had a notification.

The app is obviously not fit for purpose and appears to be sending out random notifications that are nonsensical. Another waste of taxpayers money, and how many have been sent a worthless notification telling them to self isolate and have then stayed at home to the cost of their employers?

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The wife got a message from the app this morning saying she has to self isolate as she was in contact with someone on the 27th who has tested positive for Coronavirus. The only person she was in contact with on that day for the required 15 minutes was me. We walked the dogs together, and we nodded, hello, to a few dog owners we are familiar with but were not in contact for more than a few seconds. Despite the fact we have been together throughout I haven’t been notified that I have been in contact with said infected person.

My son also had a notification this morning because of a contact with a positive person on the 22nd. He never left home on the 22nd, 23rd, 24th or 25th. On the 26th he woke up with a cold, full of mucus etc and has stayed in bed since. He lives in his Mother’s house and she has been his only contact but she hasn’t had a notification.

The app is obviously not fit for purpose and appears to be sending out random notifications that are nonsensical. Another waste of taxpayers money, and how many have been sent a worthless notification telling them to self isolate and have then stayed at home to the cost of their employers?
Do you live in a flat or semi-detached house?
If so, the app could be picking up your neighbour's Bluetooth signal through the wall/floor/garden fence etc.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

It can't be nonsensical. I have it on good authority that it is world-beating.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Do you live in a flat or semi-detached house?
If so, the app could be picking up your neighbour's Bluetooth signal through the wall/floor/garden fence etc.
We live in a 1920 semi detached, we are on very good terms with our neighbours who would, I’m sure, let us know if they had tested positive.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
The first Norwegian COVID tracing app was also stopped, because of privacy issues. They have now released a new version without (known) privacy issues.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Recently retired doctors are being prevented from joining the vaccine rollout effort due to a web of bureaucracy, including diversity documentation mandated by the Equality Act.

The Telegraph reported yesterday that “of the 40,000 doctors and nurses who applied to return in March, 30,000 were eligible but only 5,000 had been given jobs by July.” And the NHS does not appear to have done anything to streamline the process, despite the severity of the pandemic.

Doctors are reporting the hurdles they have to overcome to register, including documents on Equality, Diversity and Human Rights, Fire Safety, Conflict Resolution, and Preventing Radicalisation...

https://order-order.com/2020/12/31/...nting-retired-doctors-administering-vaccines/

maximus otter

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The French resistance. They probably don't want to sign up to something that would remove 'la liberté'.
Gotta admire that revolutionary spirit!

Whilst we celebrated in muted fashion, with a few drinks at home and perhaps a half-hearted Auld Lang Syne, the French indulged their passion for some serious rioting.
41 cars burned in Angers and, when the fire brigade responded, they were attacked with fireworks:

https://www.ouest-france.fr/pays-de...artifice-ec96015a-4c0b-11eb-8544-189a42252dd8

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Recently retired doctors are being prevented from joining the vaccine rollout effort due to a web of bureaucracy, including diversity documentation mandated by the Equality Act.

The Telegraph reported yesterday that “of the 40,000 doctors and nurses who applied to return in March, 30,000 were eligible but only 5,000 had been given jobs by July.” And the NHS does not appear to have done anything to streamline the process, despite the severity of the pandemic.

Doctors are reporting the hurdles they have to overcome to register, including documents on Equality, Diversity and Human Rights, Fire Safety, Conflict Resolution, and Preventing Radicalisation...

https://order-order.com/2020/12/31/...nting-retired-doctors-administering-vaccines/

maximus otter
:roll: The bureaucrats needs to be given a good :slapd:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Words that should be graven in stone outside every public building.

maximus otter
In RoI prospective Contact Tracers were literally drowned in red tape, I gave up on even making a formal application. A retired doctor who applied was asked about her Leaving Cert (A Level equiv) results.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
In RoI prospective Contact Tracers were literally drowned in red tape, I gave up on even making a formal application. A retired doctor who applied was asked about her Leaving Cert (A Level equiv) results.
Downright ridiculous!

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
People on Twitter speculate there might be a Qanon anti-vax connection:

A pharmacist has been arrested and charged. The individual deliberately left out 500 some vials out with the intention to contaminate/run the batch of vaccine. The pharmacist returned to work the next day, and proceeded to inject 57 individuals with the that same ruined vaccine .

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Why would a pharmacist do this? What would he gain?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
People on Twitter speculate there might be a Qanon anti-vax connection: ...
This post has been moved from the QAnon thread to this thread on non-medical COVID matters.

Any connection to QAnon remains pure speculation at this point, and the allusions to a QAnon connection have essentially been shouted down among the Twits themselves.

The focal story here is destructive handling of vaccine. If and when a connection to QAnon is reasonably evident discussion of this matter in the QAnon thread will be acceptable.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a COVID side-effect I didn't expect to see - people missing their morning and evening commutes ...
Months of pandemic teleworking have left some missing their commute

Even when Shayne Swift works from home, the high school principal ends her day behind the wheel of her forest-green Jeep Liberty, chatting by phone with family and friends.

But Swift isn’t driving. Usually, she said, she sits parked in her driveway in Northwest Washington — the closest she often gets to something she has dearly missed during the pandemic: her commute.

Of course, she said, she doesn’t miss the traffic. It’s the 30 to 45 minutes built into her mornings, when she thought through her day or laughed along to a radio show. The drive home, she said, allowed her to catch up with loved ones via speaker phone, leaving her more present with her husband and daughter by the time she arrived home.

“I feel like I’ve been deprived of that quiet time I normally had in the mornings,” said Swift, 48, who recently returned to her office at the Girls Global Academy public charter school a couple of days a week. In the evenings, “I miss the solitude of the drive.”

Commuting often conjures up teeth-gnashing traffic jams, stifling subway cars and withering waits for the bus. When offices shuttered in March, social media rejoiced with workers celebrating their new commutes to the couch.

But after more than nine months of teleworking, some say they have come to miss the reliable and even forced time to gradually move into their work days and wind down into home life. Without a morning commute, they say, they tend to log on to their laptops earlier. Walking downstairs in the evenings often doesn’t provide enough mental buffer between a demanding boss and the dinner table. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/m...e-left-some-missing-their-commute/ar-BB1cmU55