• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Agree. Utterly shameful. Heads need to roll.
Whose heads?
With the country in lockdown and the vaccination programme in full flow, I'm not sure what more doctors, nurses, the government or anyone can do to mitigate matters right now.
I suppose they could try a 18:00 curfew, like in France, or have more police patrols to catch "covidiots" deliberately ignoring their civic duty.

Last edited:

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I can't answer that without getting political but really, truthfully, no-one needs hindsight to see that some crazy and corrupt decisions have been made.

Of course, not the medics.

I wouldn't hold my breath re vaccination programme, as it flies in the face of the manufacturers' guidelines, to split doses that far apart and even risks developing vaccine resistant strains of virus. Only country in the world stupid enough to try it, and that's so they can say double the number have been vaccinated as if they were doing the proper dose, following the scientists' recommendations.

Also, have just seen that the NHS weren't trusted to run the roll out.And we all know how track n trace ended. Certain people doing too little too late and others who made billions and produced nothing usable will need to face some kind of enquiry.

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I can't answer that without getting political but really, truthfully, no-one needs hindsight to see that some crazy and corrupt decisions have been made.

Of course, not the medics.

I wouldn't hold my breath re vaccination programme, as it flies in the face of the manufacturers' guidelines, to split doses that far apart and even risks developing vaccine resistant strains of virus. Only country in the world stupid enough to try it, and that's so they can say double the number have been vaccinated as if they were doing the proper dose, following the scientists' recommendations.

Also, have just seen that the NHS weren't trusted to run the roll out.And we all know how track n trace ended. Certain people doing too little too late and others who made billions and produced nothing usable will need to face some kind of enquiry.
Indeed. I'm aware that we're treading on eggshells by suggesting certain heads should be for the chop.
I guess my point was that so many commentators are being critical from a perspective of 20/20 hindsight.
Every decision that has been taken to date has had to balance trying to control the spread of the virus against destroying people's livelihoods.

Remember the SARS and bird flu epidemics?
Should the then government have implemented lockdowns, closed borders, quarantines and furlough schemes just in case those scares turned into pandemics?
Thankfully at the time no such action was taken and the economy survived.

I just woke to the 05:00 radio news, which reported that an estimated 3,000 UK shops are on the verge of collapse.
Didn't Napoleon dub us a nation of shopkeepers?
The impact on people's lives, even if they don't catch the virus, is utterly catastrophic.
The 1,800 who died yesterday having been exposed to Covid is indeed an appalling figure and shouldn't mask the hundreds of thousands suffering mental breakdowns, severe depression and suicidal thoughts at the utter despair of losing their livelihoods, homes and any hope for the future.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I have always had grave suspicion over nit-picking over actual figures (real data that can be questioned, delayed or have different interpretation).
To be humane, as well as practical, we have to keep a sense of proportion.
When a politician states a mortality rate "is like ..." then it's nitpicking to question it deeply. They are using a simile to appeal to the general public.
You know what the point they are trying to put over is.
Question their intended effect on their actions in government, by all means. But just because one (elected twit) quotes misinformation, not as the foundation for their assertion, but by - let's face it - ignorance - then accept the assertion in the manner in which is intended!

A politician states "The Covid-19 virus is as much of a threat to the world as The Black Death!"
It could be argued, by many, to be false, inaccurate or even up for debate. But the intent of the statement is clear - it's to instill a true caution in the general public.
Criticising the simile is not helpful, at all. Being picky isn't questioning truth of a statement but ... well ... we have to look at motives.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
No knobs to be tossed or eaten.

The tradition of tossing knobs on a Dorset field has been cancelled due to fears that lives would be put at risk.

The Dorset Knob Throwing and Frome Valley Food Festival features a competition to hurl the county's traditional biscuits as far as possible. Ian Gregory, chair of the Dorset Knob Throwing Committee, said it had been affected by Covid-19 restrictions.

The event is scheduled to return to Cattistock in May 2022. It incorporates a food festival, live music and knob-based games such as knob-and-spoon racing, splat the knob, knob darts, and pin the knob on the Cerne Abbas giant. Players also battle to eat as many knobs as possible in record time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-55752712

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Dutch citizens are clamoring for ways to circumvent the recently imposed national curfew ...
Dutch buy delivery uniforms, borrow dogs to dodge curfew

Fears of being cooped up during a curfew have led the Dutch to resort to creative ways to dodge the rules, with people signing up for borrow-a-dog services and ordering the uniforms of home delivery companies.

From Saturday, a nightly curfew to try and curb the pandemic starting at 21:00 (20:00 GMT) and running until 04:30 will be imposed ...

Exceptions will be made for essential services, including takeaway meal delivery, package couriers and those who need to take pets outdoors for walks.

A website matching those needing help with their pets with volunteers for dog walking has been overwhelmed with offers.

"We normally get 10 offers a week and since they announced plans for a curfew on Tuesday we have received 300," said Jos van Prooijen, who runs not-for-profit website, www.matcheenleenhond.nl.

Online market place Marktplaats.nl froze sales of jackets and clothing of well known delivery companies in response to soaring demand, newspaper Algemeen Dagblad reported. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rms-borrow-dogs-to-dodge-curfew-idUSKBN29Q219

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire
No knobs to be tossed or eaten.

The tradition of tossing knobs on a Dorset field has been cancelled due to fears that lives would be put at risk.

The Dorset Knob Throwing and Frome Valley Food Festival features a competition to hurl the county's traditional biscuits as far as possible. Ian Gregory, chair of the Dorset Knob Throwing Committee, said it had been affected by Covid-19 restrictions.

The event is scheduled to return to Cattistock in May 2022. It incorporates a food festival, live music and knob-based games such as knob-and-spoon racing, splat the knob, knob darts, and pin the knob on the Cerne Abbas giant. Players also battle to eat as many knobs as possible in record time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-55752712
I've been prevented from handling Knobs at the aforementioned excellent event for the past 4 years by different circumstances!

I am looking forward to grabbing some freshly baked Knobs and doing what one does on that special day... roll on 2022.

(Dorset Knobs are a kind of highly baked bun, a cross between a scone and hard tack)

Moores Dorset Knobs Tin only £15.00

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Dutch citizens are clamoring for ways to circumvent the recently imposed national curfew ...

FULL STORY: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rms-borrow-dogs-to-dodge-curfew-idUSKBN29Q219
I've got various work items from early last year I could bullshit with and now a new T Shirt and baseball cap that I don't have to bullshit with to allow me to walk the streets without hassle from the police but then what if I catch this virus and pass it on to someone else which would make me a massive wanker so I don't do that. I've been checking to see if there's a black market in my ID allowance stuff but I haven't found anything like that going on in the UK yet, it probably is going on somewhere though. Someone (in our old staff canteen from last year) tried to talk my ex manager from March 2020 who wished she could visit her Mother into wearing our staff stuff in case she got stopped by the police. As far as I know, she didn't abuse her key worker privilege by doing that. She was pretty serious about us all remaining 2 meters apart in the warehouse when she was giving us all instructions anyway. I used to enjoy smashing shopper's carts they'd left in the middle of the aisles out of the way. Years of pent up aggression was purged with official security turning a blind eye. Allow people to social distance or I will smash your cart out of the way with mine Karen. Top.

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
Article giving some insight into the problems and abuse faced by people who cannot wear face masks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-55639186

Who's exempt from wearing masks?:
'I'm scared of abuse for not wearing one'
Disability rights are under threat from the response to this virus. There are plenty of comments online from people ignorant of the needs of non-mask wearers, from people who think they should just "suck it up and wear one" to people who think anyone who doesn't wear a mask should remain in their home and not go out in public.

Compounded by shops displaying signs saying "masks are mandatory" without mention of exemptions.

A reminder that people exempt from mask wearing do not have to explain their reasons for exemption and should not be asked about their medical details:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ngs-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

If you have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering:

• you do not routinely need to show any written evidence of this
  • you do not need show an exemption card

It is none of anyone else's business why somebody is not wearing a mask. Not wearing a mask also does not (as some people seem to think) automatically mean they are carrying the virus and will infect everyone they meet.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Article giving some insight into the problems and abuse faced by people who cannot wear face masks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-55639186

Disability rights are under threat from the response to this virus. There are plenty of comments online from people ignorant of the needs of non-mask wearers, from people who think they should just "suck it up and wear one" to people who think anyone who doesn't wear a mask should remain in their home and not go out in public.

Compounded by shops displaying signs saying "masks are mandatory" without mention of exemptions.

A reminder that people exempt from mask wearing do not have to explain their reasons for exemption and should not be asked about their medical details:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ngs-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

It is none of anyone else's business why somebody is not wearing a mask. Not wearing a mask also does not (as some people seem to think) automatically mean they are carrying the virus and will infect everyone they meet.
People could look at alternatives such as face shields?

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
U.S. government is contemplating releasing one dose Johnson and Johnson vaccine early because states are almost out of vaccinations.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Compare and contrast: Schiphol and Heathrow. What could possibly go wrong? It doesn't leave me filled with confidence for the next few months...

How/why the flip are so many people travelling? How/why are we still letting so many people in to the UK with such a poor quarantine, trace and track system? It is, quite literally, madness, an absolute and utter refusal to learn anything from the last year. Sheessshhh!

Maatregelen-corona.jpg
Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 12.05.13.png

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
people exempt from mask wearing do not have to explain their reasons for exemption and should not be asked about their medical details:
True, but with things as they are some sort of indication that a person is exempt would be useful. I've seen people wearing lanyards with 'mask exempt' or some such on them.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Unhinged.

Rioting youths protesting on the first night of a curfew in the Netherlands torched a coronavirus testing facility and threw fireworks at police in a Dutch fishing village.

Police said they fined more than 3,600 people nationwide for breaching the curfew that ran from 9pm on Saturday until 4.30am on Sunday, and arrested 25 people for breaching the curfew or for violence.

Video from the village of Urk, 50 miles north-east of Amsterdam, showed youths breaking into the coronavirus testing facility near the harbour before it was set ablaze.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40213166.html

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
So what if none of this stuff works? I just ask the question.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Israel will close it's international Ben Gurion airport from Tuesday to Sunday, because it is worried about passengers bringing in virus mutations about which it has not yet clarified their infectiousness and deadlines.

This includes so called British, South African and Los Angeles mutations.

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
So what if none of this stuff works? I just ask the question.
They're going to have to release us all from the lockdowns eventually. It isn't sustainable to continue this indefinitely.

The problem is, that the people in charge and the media (and consequently many of the public) have become afraid of any deaths from this virus to the point where they can't think of anything outside "eliminating covid". There was talk yesterday, or today, of "the worry of an unknown new strain" - if they're going to keep restrictions in place based on something that hasn't even happened yet then they might as well keep us in lockdown in case a meteor strikes the Earth or we're invaded by Martians.

At some point they need to reverse the fear that's been instilled, accept that the virus is here to stay, and start getting us back to normal. If some people want to continue keeping themselves safe and distant from others then fine, but let the rest of us start to live our lives while we still can.

(But what I suspect will happen is they'll just keep us all "safe" in lockdown forevermore "just in case" :rolleyes:)

At this point it's not living, it's existing.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
They're going to have to release us all from the lockdowns eventually. It isn't sustainable to continue this indefinitely.

The problem is, that the people in charge and the media (and consequently many of the public) have become afraid of any deaths from this virus to the point where they can't think of anything outside "eliminating covid". There was talk yesterday, or today, of "the worry of an unknown new strain" - if they're going to keep restrictions in place based on something that hasn't even happened yet then they might as well keep us in lockdown in case a meteor strikes the Earth or we're invaded by Martians.

At some point they need to reverse the fear that's been instilled, accept that the virus is here to stay, and start getting us back to normal. If some people want to continue keeping themselves safe and distant from others then fine, but let the rest of us start to live our lives while we still can.

(But what I suspect will happen is they'll just keep us all "safe" in lockdown forevermore "just in case" :rolleyes:)

I hope I'm proved wrong, but I have an awful feeling that the economy will limp back towards something approaching normality in maybe another 12 to 18 months, with pubs, restaurants, gyms, theatres and the travel sector rebuilding their businesses - only for China to cough once more and put us through this purgatory all over again.

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score

I get where you're coming from. However personally I think that once vaccinations have reached a certain point and barring any disasters re. mutated strains (fingers crossed) society will collectively say 'enough is enough' and tolerate a certain level of mortality, as we do with flu etc. I could be wrong and I know it's all hypothetical, but I think we'll reach a point where the majority will not see lockdown measures as proportionate to the risks they are designed to address (I acknowledge some people already feel that way). Of course not everyone will see it that way though... time will tell!

P.S. To be clear I do take COVID seriously and it sounds like a bloody awful virus to get. :(

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
I hope I'm proved wrong, but I have an awful feeling that the economy will limp back towards something approaching normality in maybe another 12 to 18 months, with pubs, restaurants, gyms, theatres and the travel sector rebuilding their businesses - only for China to cough once more and put us through this purgatory all over again.
It could well take that long, sadly.

And that is another problem; now that we've seen the reaction to this virus, the government might be quick to 'panic' over the next one that inevitably comes along, and decide that they need to impose restrictions and lockdowns at the merest sight of a sniffle. Compounded, again, by an often over-hysterical media and a frightened populous. The concept of just dealing with even a normal flu season might be seen as too 'dangerous' by some.

I get where you're coming from. However personally I think that once vaccinations have reached a certain point and barring any disasters re. mutated strains (fingers crossed) society will collectively say 'enough is enough' and tolerate a certain level of mortality, as we do with flu etc. I could be wrong and I know it's all hypothetical, but I think we'll reach a point where the majority will not see lockdown measures as proportionate to the risks they are designed to address (I acknowledge some people already feel that way). Of course not everyone will see it that way though... time will tell!

P.S. To be clear I do take COVID seriously and it sounds like a bloody awful virus to get. :(
Oh I do hope so, definitely. We need to get to an 'enough is enough' stage because it really has become a case of the cure is worse than the disease.

But for that to happen there needs to be a collective change of mindset. So many people are so absolutely terrified of this virus to the point that some of them might resist any attempts to return to normal. To start with, there needs to be less of the "joggers and dog walkers carry the virus"-type messages* and a bit more perspective and common sense.

*Those adverts are being pulled, and rightly so. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/21/government-discontinue-covid-ad-accusing-joggers-exercising/

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
If that happens, China will get cut off from the world once again as people decide not to go there.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It could well take that long, sadly.

And that is another problem; now that we've seen the reaction to this virus, the government might be quick to 'panic' over the next one that inevitably comes along, and decide that they need to impose restrictions and lockdowns at the merest sight of a sniffle. Compounded, again, by an often over-hysterical media and a frightened populous. The concept of just dealing with even a normal flu season might be seen as too 'dangerous' by some
Exactly.
When the threat was SARS or Bird Flu, not so many years ago, the then government took a chance and got away without imposing lockdowns and wrecking the economy. We got lucky those previous times.
Now though, with 93,000+ dead, nothing less than another total lockdown will be expected the next time that something sinister escapes from a Chinese "wet market" or laboratory.

Not a very comforting thought that this could be the new normal for the rest of our lives.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Exactly.
When the threat was SARS or Bird Flu, not so many years ago, the then government took a chance and got away without imposing lockdowns and wrecking the economy. We got lucky those previous times.
Now though, with 93,000+ dead, nothing less than another total lockdown will be expected the next time that something sinister escapes from a Chinese "wet market" or laboratory.

Not a very comforting thought that this could be the new normal for the rest of our lives.
It wouldn't be any fun otherwise though would it? .. I mean, let's face it, when was the last time that you can remember that the world wasn't f***ed for one reason or another? .. we've all been on 'the brink of destruction' so many times now even in my limited time frame that it's the one thing we're good at. Same day, different shit.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

It's because lots of people did not and still don't get on board with restrictions or constantly undermine the need for them. This coupled with a dithering lightweight government without the ability to stick to anything or communicate which has lead to England is in the shit its in. The entitlement of a lot of the population has been staggering and because we as a country are now judged as a farce around the world I think it's lead to people digging their feet in further or sticking their heads in the sand.

We are rolling out a vaccine, we know how to make vaccines with any luck this will be no different from seasonal flu soon.

People who have fought this and the frankly staggering amount of work involved just wish this thing would just go away but it isn't - yet.

To compare Covid to a meteor strike or Martians just stuns me.