COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It's because lots of people did not and still don't get on board with restrictions or constantly undermine the need for them. This coupled with a dithering lightweight government without the ability to stick to anything or communicate which has lead to England is in the shit its in. The entitlement of a lot of the population has been staggering and because we as a country are now judged as a farce around the world I think it's lead to people digging their feet in further or sticking their heads in the sand.

We are rolling out a vaccine, we know how to make vaccines with any luck this will be no different from seasonal flu soon.

People who have fought this and the frankly staggering amount of work involved just wish this thing would just go away but it isn't - yet.

To compare Covid to a meteor strike or Martians just stuns me.

We live in a democracy and are used to levels of liberty unheard of under totalitarianism as enforced by the Chinese Communist Party.
Hence adapting to lockdowns, curfews and such like does not come naturally to us.

What you refer to as government dithering is an attempt to balance preventing the spread of Covid against destroying people's livelihoods and hopes for the future.

There are some 9 million Brits currently on furlough, including my daughter and son-in-law, who both work in the leisure/fitness industry.
If pubs, restaurants, gyms, theatres, cinemas, the travel industry etc. cannot resume trading when furlough ends (currently at and of April), then you simply cannot throw 9+ million people (almost the population of Portugal) out of work so they lose their homes and everything.

I'm glad I'm not a politician, as I wouldn't like to make those nigh-on impossible choices, but there is no point saving people's lives, if they have no life to return to.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
It's because lots of people did not and still don't get on board with restrictions or constantly undermine the need for them. This coupled with a dithering lightweight government without the ability to stick to anything or communicate which has lead to England is in the shit its in. The entitlement of a lot of the population has been staggering and because we as a country are now judged as a farce around the world I think it's lead to people digging their feet in further or sticking their heads in the sand.
Compliance with restrictions is very high. I read recently that 90% of the population is doing asked. Of course the other 10% can cause a hell of a lot of problems for us all. One issue that seems to have gone under the radar is employers forcing staff into the workplace when it isn't necessary, and lack of social distancing in some workplaces. It was reported recent!y that in England over 1300 complaints had been made against employers, resulting in 81 warnings and no fines. That is a far bigger problem than a couple of women going for a walk in Derbyshire.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
What you refer to as government dithering is an attempt to balance preventing the spread of Covid against destroying people's livelihoods and hopes for the future.
I get that but some of the balancing seems inexplicable and seems to go along the lines of:-

Is your name Michael O'Leary? Yes/No

Yes - Crack on! What possible harm could be done in continuing to allow international travel during a global pandemic?

No - Shut down. Screw you. Going out to buy new socks or a book is what is driving this pandemic.

Honest to Bob, that man is forcing me to dislike hearing an Irish accent.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
If that happens, China will get cut off from the world once again as people decide not to go there.
But people will still buy tons of cheap plastic Chinese tat, not to mention iPhones and Huawei gear.
It would need a coordinated public boycott to make any real difference.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Compliance with restrictions is very high. I read recently that 90% of the population is doing asked. Of course the other 10% can cause a hell of a lot of problems for us all. One issue that seems to have gone under the radar is employers forcing staff into the workplace when it isn't necessary, and lack of social distancing in some workplaces. It was reported recent!y that in England over 1300 complaints had been made against employers, resulting in 81 warnings and no fines. That is a far bigger problem than a couple of women going for a walk in Derbyshire.
Self-reported diligence is quite high, but tellingly more people don't believe that others are taking it seriously.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...21/britons-attitudes-toward-national-lockdown

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
During the first lockdown our supermarket had people coming in once a week and cramming their trolleys with shopping so they didn't need to go out again.

This time round we're getting people coming in half a dozen times a day for something to do, buying two items each time. Or even just walking round and then out again because 'you haven't got what I want'.

The fear isn't there any more. And once the fear level drops to a certain level lockdown will become ineffective.

Incidentally, the two of my kids who were furloughed last time round are still going into work. Their employers have clearly decided that locking down was more trouble than it's worth. One of them is an accountant, who could work from home, but his employers have decided to stay open this time round. One more round of lockdown and I don't think anyone will comply.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Things seem to have gone seriously titsup in the Netherlands:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55799919

If those 9 million Brits currently on furlough find their jobs have evaporated before lockdown restrictions can be relaxed, then we'd better brace ourselves for similar levels of social unrest here.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that we are going to reach a point where the government just throws its hands in the air and says 'do what you like, it's on your own head!'

Most of the measures in place are to protect the NHS, not people individually, after all.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
During the first lockdown our supermarket had people coming in once a week and cramming their trolleys with shopping so they didn't need to go out again.

This time round we're getting people coming in half a dozen times a day for something to do, buying two items each time. Or even just walking round and then out again because 'you haven't got what I want'.

The fear isn't there any more. And once the fear level drops to a certain level lockdown will become ineffective.

Incidentally, the two of my kids who were furloughed last time round are still going into work. Their employers have clearly decided that locking down was more trouble than it's worth. One of them is an accountant, who could work from home, but his employers have decided to stay open this time round. One more round of lockdown and I don't think anyone will comply.
The Government knew several things when the first lockdown was announced that they seem to have forgotten about. One was that masks are unnecessary in the open air (I'm quoting Professor Whitty there). But perhaps the most important is that you can't keep on locking down. It's not just a lack of fear, it's several issues, one of which is that something that can be put off for a few weeks without serious harm cannot be put off forever. Going to the dentists would be a trivial example. those things that are put off in this way will only add to the very serious long term consequences of the repeated lockdowns. It's the counterbalance to those who have got over their fear.
`

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... A pharmacist has been arrested and charged. The individual deliberately left out 500 some vials out with the intention to contaminate/run the batch of vaccine. The pharmacist returned to work the next day, and proceeded to inject 57 individuals with the that same ruined vaccine . ...
Update ...
Wisconsin pharmacist pleads guilty to destroying hundreds of vaccine doses

A Wisconsin pharmacist pleaded guilty on Tuesday to destroying more than 500 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.

Steven Brandenburg, 46, faces up to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to two counts of attempting to tamper with consumer products with reckless disregard for the risk that another person will be placed in danger of death or bodily injury, the U.S. Department of Justice said. ...

Brandenburg on Dec. 26 left out overnight 57 vials of Moderna's vaccine, each of which contains 10 doses of vaccine and must be stored between 36 and 46 degrees Fahrenheit.

His actions caused an estimated $8,000-$11,000 worth of damages and more than 50 people were administered vaccine doses that were rendered ineffective.

In his plea agreement, Brandenburg said he believes in various conspiracy theories and notions of "alternative history" including being highly skeptical of vaccines in general and specifically of the Moderna vaccine.

He had shared these beliefs with his co-workers for at least the two years leading up to tampering with the vaccines, the plea agreement states. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/202...ying-hundreds-of-vaccine-doses/3821611712649/

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
True, but with things as they are some sort of indication that a person is exempt would be useful. I've seen people wearing lanyards with 'mask exempt' or some such on them.
Yes , I have one - I have impaired lung function plus other problems. I've been thanked by security people for wearing it so they don't have to ask.
I actually can wear a mask for short periods and do so if I know I'm not going to be long, but after 10 minutes or so I start panting like a marathon runner which kind of defeats the purpose.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I like basketball and watch regularly.

The quality of NBA basketball has gone up due to Covid regulations. Because the games are being played in basically empty arenas due to restrictions on attendance, the teams have a lot more free space around the court that previously was occupied by fans and media. This is allowing the players to make plays they otherwise wouldnt have been able to for fear of jumping into the crowds and on to people, such as diving after a ball that is going out of bounds.

TV coverage is better as well, as the broadcasting crews can basically place and move their cameras wherever they want, so we are seeing camera views that wouldnt be possible with arenas full of fans such as tracking shots of play.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The Biden administration said today the U.S. is out of vaccine, and will be months before more is available.

Are not vaccine makers making vaccine 24/7 ?

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Biden administration said today the U.S. is out of vaccine, and will be months before more is available.

Are not vaccine makers making vaccine 24/7 ?
Not that I have seen reported anywhere. Per Cuomo, the federal government gave the states a firm schedule of how many doses would be delivered to the states weekly for the next few weeks, which will make it easier to plan. The manufacturers are working steadily and the feds have assisted in upping the output, although the effects will not be seen until April at the earliest. I assume they provided guarantees to support manufacturing infrastructure.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Ringo

Musky Sly Old Foxy Stoat
Reaction score
Apologies if someone has already mentioned this. The UK made the right call as to dealing with AstraZeneca.

One major upside of Brexit is that the UK withdrew from the collective EU negotiations with vaccine maker AstraZeneca because they knew they wouldn't be able to be actively involved after they withdrew from the EU. So the UK brokered their own private deal, three months earlier than the EU did. They got access to the vaccine and passed it for use before the EU. And now the UK has a steady supply of vaccines being made in the UK manufacturing plants with no obligation to ship it elsewhere.

This in my book is a Brexit win. I was neutral on the whole subject but looking in as an outsider, the UK got this right. They took control of their own negotiations, brokered a good deal and are now leading the way.

Meanwhile, the EU plants have had major production problems and the total amout of vaccines which can be delivered to its member states has dropped by 60%. The EU are looking to take legal action against AstraZeneca for not delivering the amounts promised but AZ have already said that no vaccines will be shipped out of the UK. They promised 1 million doses to Sweden by the end of March but now it will only be 400,000.

The distribution within the EU is centralised so we all have to just wait and see how much we are given. So far, Sweden has vaccinated 297,000 people with one (and in some cases two) injections. So that's less that 3 % of the population has been vaccinated in a program that started 3 weeks ago. The Uk has vaccinated nearly 8 million.

The UK is number 3 in the world when it comes to number of vaccines administered. Germany is 9, Italy 7. Sweden in numer 29.

Source: https://www.svt.se/datajournalistik/corona-vaccin/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Wisconsin pharmacist pleads guilty to destroying hundreds of vaccine doses
Update ... The pharmacist is not just an anti-vaxxer ... Cue the theremin ...
Wisconsin Vaccine Saboteur Steven Brandenburg Is a Flat-Earther, FBI Document Reveals

The Wisconsin pharmacist who intentionally sabotaged hundreds of doses of the Moderna coronavirus vaccine because he thought COVID-19 was a hoax, also believes the earth is flat and the sky is actually a “shield put up by the Government to prevent individuals from seeing God.”

That’s according to a newly-unsealed FBI search warrant application obtained by The Daily Beast, which the bureau filed earlier this month requesting permission to analyze an iPhone, a laptop, and a thumb drive seized from Steven Brandenburg when he was arrested in late December. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.thedailybeast.com/wisco...enburg-is-a-flat-earther-fbi-document-reveals

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
The folks in Tuskegee (Alabama) have more reason that most to be skeptical of the vaccination program.
Vaccine skepticism lurks in town famous for syphilis study

Lucenia Dunn spent the early days of the coronavirus pandemic encouraging people to wear masks and keep a safe distance from each other in Tuskegee, a mostly Black city where the government once used unsuspecting African American men as guinea pigs in a study of a sexually transmitted disease.

Now, the onetime mayor of the town immortalized as the home of the infamous “Tuskegee syphilis study” is wary of getting inoculated against COVID-19. Among other things, she’s suspicious of the government promoting a vaccine that was developed in record time when it can’t seem to conduct adequate virus testing or consistently provide quality rural health care. ...

“I’m not doing this vaccine right now. That doesn’t mean I’m never going to do it. But I know enough to withhold getting it until we see all that is involved,” said Dunn, who is Black.

The coronavirus immunization campaign is off to a shaky start in Tuskegee and other parts of Macon County. Area leaders point to a resistance among residents spurred by a distrust of government promises and decades of failed health programs. Many people in this city of 8,500 have relatives who were subjected to unethical government experimentation during the syphilis study. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/race-and...ilis-us-news-eae3315d2dfecd6443b56a2dc7bcb887

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Now that's a good reward for a deserving person.

An emergency ward nurse has been selected to spend a week on an isolated island in the North Sea to watch the entire movie programme of Scandinavia’s largest film festival.

Lisa Enroth was chosen from 12,000 volunteers to enjoy the temporary cinema-for-one on the island of Hamneskar at Pater Noster, a former lighthouse turned boutique hotel, off the coast of Sweden.

The nurse, from Sweden, has a passion for film, and said the isolation would give her “time to reflect and be alone” after a busy year dealing with the Covid-19 pandemic. ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40217720.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This is one of the most unusual pandemic-related stories I've seen ... A man in Taiwan will not be fined for breaking quarantine rules - because he was kidnapped.
Taiwan authorities revoke quarantine fine for man after discovering he was kidnapped

Taiwanese authorities said they will no longer fine a man for breaking quarantine because investigators discovered he was kidnapped in an unfortunate case of mistaken identity.

The man, whose surname is Chen, had arrived from Hong Kong in late October and was quarantining at a friend's house in the central city of Nantou, according to a statement from the Changhua Branch of the Ministry of Justice's Administrative Enforcement Agency.

On November 1 at 11 p.m., debt collectors broke in and whisked Chen away against his will, mistaking him for his friend. They forced him to pay the debts and eventually returned Chen, who sustained injuries during the ordeal.

Local public health authorities initially fined Chen $3,500 for violating the quarantine order, but the case was handed over to the Ministry of Justice to investigate the claims of forced detention.

Police verified Chen's claim and the kidnappers are now under investigation, authorities said.

While the case is unusual, the hefty fine is not. Taiwan has levied a series of large fines on people violating quarantine as part of its world-class response to the pandemic. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/taiwan-quarantine-kidnap-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
New Hampshire lawmakers are getting testy about pets and children interrupting their teleconferences.
All those in favor say meow: Pets banned from bill hearings

Politically active pets are out of luck in New Hampshire, where some lawmakers have been told to keep their cats and dogs out of the room when they log on for remote hearings.

Rep. Anita Burroughs, a Democrat from Glen, said her cats, Yoshi and Jack, have made appearances during several recent House Commerce and Consumer Affairs Committee hearings — including Wednesday, when Yoshi’s fluffy black-and-white face partially obscured her own as he moved in for some attention. No one objected at the time, but a colleague later passed along a message from the committee chair, Republican Rep. John Hunt of Rindge. ...

“The chair talked to her and said no animals in the room,” Burroughs said. “I can try to keep the cats off the screen. Keeping them out of the room is going to be impossible.”

Burroughs said at least one other lawmaker’s cat attended the hearing, and another’s dog barked briefly in the background. Lawmakers’ children also have popped up, she said. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/new-hampshire-cats-animals-fca20602aab19f84fd98ff6a08989479

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
How the NHS are prioritising the distribution of the vaccine/s in the UK .. the who, why and when of it all .. seeing as I'm 47 so am not even on the list at all and the Prime Minister has just given a date in March when everyone else can start mixing in public again?, it's been nice knowing you all ..

The COVID-19 vaccine: who gets it first? | The Health Foundation