COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
It has depressed me to note how quickly a public health issue brings out the "Warden Hodges attitude" in the UK public.

iu

maximus otter
It's depressed me how many chose to become 'facebook messiahs' because that felt more rewarding to them than to face what was going on outside .. although I agree with you that some people got a bit rabid towards others, that was understandable under the circumstances. Me and co workers have had to 'diffuse' a lot of people over the last year with the help of trained security, we quickly learned that kindness was the fastest way to calm shit down .. charm offensive and 'they' wander off wondering what just happened. And then we kicked their head in. (obviously joking)

As for the people who set themselves up to be facebook messiahs, I've got nothing but contempt for them. I kept thinking of Kain from the POLTERGEIST films when I read their facebook 'sermons' .. or Koresh or Manson or one of those other wankers: None of this virus is real! .. who's with me?!!!! ..

edit .. an average virus denier yesterday .. creepy cunts.

Poltergeist 2 - Reverend Kane (1986) HD 1080p - YouTube

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The pandemic conditions have pushed many US non-profit groups and charities to the brink of failure / extinction. A newly announced study suggests that as many as 1 in 3 such organizations may fold as a result.
Pandemic puts 1 in 3 nonprofits in financial jeopardy

More than one-third of U.S. nonprofits are in jeopardy of closing within two years because of the financial harm inflicted by the viral pandemic, according to a study being released Wednesday by the philanthropy research group Candid and the Center for Disaster Philanthropy.

The study’s findings underscore the perils for nonprofits and charities whose financial needs have escalated over the past year, well in excess of the donations that most have received from individuals and foundations. The researchers analyzed how roughly 300,000 nonprofits would fare under 20 scenarios of varying severity. The worst-case scenario led to the closings of 38% of the nonprofits. Even the scenarios seen as more realistic resulted in closures well into double digit percentages. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/business...rus-pandemic-93d410c99425f0ac54b3190a656db200

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Bloody helicopter should be shot down.

A helicopter pilot's 80-mile round trip to pick up a beef sandwich from a farm shop was a "flagrant abuse" of lockdown rules, a councillor has said.

A video posted online on Tuesday showed the man landing for his "roast beef in gravy barm with caramelised onion" at Chipping Farm Shop near Preston. A flight radar website tracked the helicopter to the shop from City Airport in Salford. Ribble Valley council is investigating a possible Covid rule breach. The pilot and farm shop have been contacted for comment.

A video posted by the shop on Instagram showed the helicopter landing nearby and a member of staff delivering the sandwich to the pilot. The post included a comment from the shop about what happens "when your customers are literally flying in for your roast beef in caramelised onion gravy barms". The shop has since deleted its account on Facebook, which had also posted videos of the helicopter's arrival.

A local resident, who has asked not to be named, said he tracked the helicopter online and had seen it travel from Salford to the shop, which was not connected to a farm, and back again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-56278463

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

A helicopter pilot's 80-mile round trip to pick up a beef sandwich from a farm shop was a "flagrant abuse" of lockdown rules, a councillor has said.

A video posted online on Tuesday showed the man landing for his "roast beef in gravy barm with caramelised onion" at Chipping Farm Shop near Preston. A flight radar website tracked the helicopter to the shop from City Airport in Salford. Ribble Valley council is investigating a possible Covid rule breach. The pilot and farm shop have been contacted for comment.

A video posted by the shop on Instagram showed the helicopter landing nearby and a member of staff delivering the sandwich to the pilot. The post included a comment from the shop about what happens "when your customers are literally flying in for your roast beef in caramelised onion gravy barms". The shop has since deleted its account on Facebook, which had also posted videos of the helicopter's arrival.

A local resident, who has asked not to be named, said he tracked the helicopter online and had seen it travel from Salford to the shop, which was not connected to a farm, and back again.

Clearly the pilot was not paying for fuel or maintenance. We're all getting a little nutty.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
...a councillor has said.

A video posted online ...A flight radar website tracked the helicopter ... Ribble Valley council is investigating... The pilot and farm shop have been contacted for comment.

A video posted by the shop on Instagram...

A local resident, who has asked not to be named, said he tracked the helicopter online...

ls this what we've been reduced to? Have none of these people anything better to do?

maximus otter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

A flight radar website tracked the helicopter to the shop from City Airport in Salford.

That'll be www.flightradar24.com.
Busted! :chuckle:

There's a backstory here to be sure. One of bad neighbours and spite. :nods:

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That'll be www.flightradar24.com.
Busted! :chuckle:

There's a backstory here to be sure. One of bad neighbours and spite. :nods:
Thank you just checked flighttracker. NYC is a pile of planes. Where I live with clear blue skies (albeit 16 degrees f) there are three private planes in a 100-mile radius. Must remember this is why I live here. Looks like it will show satellites too. Very nice.
If my dearest friend took a helicopter to pick up of roast beef on a roll I'd turn him in.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Thank you just checked flighttracker. NYC is a pile of planes. Where I live with clear blue skies (albeit 16 degrees f) there are three private planes in a 100-mile radius. Must remember this is why I live here. Looks like it will show satellites too. Very nice.
If my dearest friend took a helicopter to pick up of roast beef on a roll I'd turn him in.

I LOVE Flightradar! :loveu:

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
I LOVE Flightradar! :loveu:

Me too! I like to track friends and familly who are in flight. One time I was so excited to see that my son, en route from Thailand, was flying over not so very far off me (about 20 miles or so) having been following him all that way it was quite an emotional moment as it was the nearest I'd been to him for ages as he lives the other side of the country! I leaned out of the bedroom window, looking and waving in the general direction, and kidded myself that if only my eyesight was a little bit better I could have seen him!

I like to make the most of other people's flights as I very much doubt I'll ever be able to afford to go on another myself. In recent times I'd even considered using my 'simple' funeral money but this damn Covid thing has rather concentrated my mind in that direction! Bu88erit!

Sollywos x

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Covid hairdresser styles the dead
117467714_image00006.jpg
Photo: James Riley via BBC
James Riley, a hairdresser in Buxton, England, found a new niche to stay in business during pandemic lockdown: styling the hair of the dead.
"I never thought I would, but I quite enjoy it," he said. He said the unconventional work had been "rewarding" and become one of the "biggest honours of [his] life … everybody's got a right to look their best, even though that person is deceased."
Riley supplied the above photo to media and I have questions. A question, really.

https://boingboing.net/2021/03/06/covid-hairdresser-styles-the-dead.html

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
A recent mathematical model has suggested that staying at home did not play a dominant role in reducing COVID-19 transmission.

With our results, we were not able to explain if COVID-19 mortality is reduced by staying at home in ~ 98% of the comparisons after epidemiological weeks 9 to 34.

In conclusion, using this methodology and current data, in  ~ 98% of the comparisons using 87 different regions of the world we found no evidence that the number of deaths/million is reduced by staying at home.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-84092-1

maximus otter

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Just my opinion, the U.S. is acting like the coronavirus is gone as states are doing away with covid cautions.

The college kids invaded Florida in huge crowds for spring break and 100 people were arrested on Miami Beach for being drunk.

This country is heading for new covid wave.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
From the British Medical Journal Rapid Response:

"Positive results from UK single gene PCR testing for SARS-COV-2 may be inconclusive, negative or detecting past infections:

The WHO’s emergency use assessment (EUA) for the [device used] includes the instruction manual and contained therein is an interpretation algorithm describing an unequivocal requirement that two or more target genes be detected before a positive result can be declared.

The ONS’s report lists SARS-COV-2 positive results for valid two and three target gene combinations and does the same...for samples processed by the Glasgow and Milton Keynes lighthouse laboratories. However, it also lists single gene detections as positive results...

...in February 2021, the ONS confirmed that they do indeed call single gene targets as positives in their Covid-19 Infection Survey and also confirmed that the samples are processed by UK lighthouse laboratories.

As early as April 2020, the UK lighthouse laboratories were testing for single genes..."

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n208/rr-3

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Letter published in the British Medical Journal, 4.3.2021 (extracts):

Anne Mc Closkey MB BCh BAO, DCH, MRCGP
GP, N. Ireland

"The cover picture of the British Medical Journal of 13 February showed rows of candles, with the text - “100,000 deaths, what went wrong”?

The 100,000 refers to the number of souls on whose death certificates Covid was mentioned, and who according to the World Health Organisation are thus “pandemic deaths”. The rolling total spans two respiratory seasons.

The entire healthy population was locked up, elderly people were taken from hospital beds without expectation of further medical care, and legislation was passed, without parliamentary debate, removing fundamental human and constitutional rights-to movement, to association, to earn a living, to an education, to engage in public worship, and to access the range of medical services to which people were hitherto entitled.

Governments were advised in this course of action by scientists and medics whose identity, qualifications and aptitude for this work was largely hidden from public scrutiny.

A new directive from the WHO to every doctor changed fundamentally how deaths were attributed. Any death, within 28 days of a positive PCR test (which Kary Mullis, the test’s inventor, and Nobel Laureate was clear should not be used as a diagnostic tool) was to be included in the Covid fatality total, regardless of the context.

Where there was no positive test, but clinical symptoms compatible with Covid 19 that is fever, shortness of breath, loss of taste and so on, likewise, attribution to the virus on the death certificate was encouraged. Autopsies ceased.

The dramatic subsequent downward revision of these headline figures, to only include those in whom Covid was the primary cause of death as opposed to a co-existing factor was not mentioned. Nor was that the average age of Covid death was similar to the all-cause average, and that in no country in Europe in 2020 was there a statistically significant increase in all-cause mortality over the five-year average.

In the north, Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency figures confirmed that the excess mortality in 2020 was about 0.096 of the total population of around 1.8 million, likely to include not only Covid-related deaths, but the excess deaths we know to have occurred because of the lockdown - untreated cardiovascular disease, strokes, suicides, alcohol related harm and in those who were unable or unwilling to access usual care.

The number of deaths certified as being from Covid alone, without any other co-existing conditions on the certificate was 113. That is 0.0062% of the total population.

This figure of 100,000 therefore, is I contend a piece of propaganda, an alarmist distortion of the facts. It is not science.

There are now around thirty published papers, many peer-reviewed which show that across the globe, lockdowns have no significant effect on overall mortality. Countries which locked down early, with draconian enforcement have similar numbers of deaths per million of population as those who did very little. This virus behaves as all viruses seem to have done since time began, acting with total indifference to human attempts to control it. There is a growing body of evidence showing that lockups actually increase mortality, by suppressing natural immunity. Those making decisions seem not to be aware of, or interested in facts."

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n314/rr-33

maximus otter

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I feel the 'papers for pints' reports are probably just being reported as a 'softening' exercise to see what kind of reception it gets.
Judging by the 1000+ negative comments underneath the BBC report of it, it's going down like a shit sandwich.
The counter-intuitive part of suggesting that publicans choose whether to ask for 'certificates' is that most pubs will be most likely desperate to return to some sort of normal trade, most of which will be likely to come from the 18-30 (and probably a bit older) age group, which are just the age groups which are further down the list of priority for the jab.
Asking for a certificate (or test result) will just reduce their trade.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Agreed, Trevp666. Johnson is "testing the water" on a policy which is frankly impossible.
If they were to make it compulsory to allow pubs to open, then the government would face the whole "data safety" and operation issues experienced with the track and trace/QR code thing. So they make it voluntary?
A pub - perhaps, say, a chain like Witherspongs - decides to have door guards examining vaccine certs. Which might be forgotten or left at home or, literally, the owner has no smartphone, app or otherwise. Too much faff? Sod it ... I'm going 'round the corner to the pub which isn't restricted to the government-approved patron.
Building on the data safety issue that comes with any government intervention, what gives the right of a public house to demand medical information?
What about the timing. Currently the only people who'll be allowed back to the pub will be the over-50's. Those who are less likely to binge-drink or drag their families out for a slap-up meal and drinks.

Methinks this announcement (that vaccine 'passports' will only be considered after everyone has been offered vaccination) is not only testing public opinion - very important to the current PM* - but being thrown out there as a sop to the leisure trade industry.
This morning I heard on BBC R4 of a report from a newspaper that vaccinations for primary school children has been time-tabled. A prominent government-employed virologist was asked about this and said, in no uncertain terms, that this news report actually came as a surprise to public health virologists and are *ahem* far from the truth. This demonstrates the determination of the media to either manipulate the authorities or their blatant intention to fabricate stories.

* I know it skirts dangerously close to politics but this is a statement of fact not opinion.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Building on the data safety issue that comes with any government intervention, what gives the right of a public house to demand medical information?

a) As a private business, l’d imagine that they can impose any restrictions they like on the people whom they choose to admit, a bit like “No football colours”, or “No stag parties”. As signs outside usually say, they “...reserve the right to refuse admission”.

b) They wouldn’t, strictly speaking, be demanding medical info, just sight of one’s “Good little herd animal” ear tag/phone app/handy credit card-sized chit.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
While I understand your rebellion pose against ear tags or whatever your imagination has invented to rebel against ...
I actually agree with you on your point a).
I run a business. We can choose to serve whoever we want.
However, being in business, the whole point is to earn money from customers. So demanding proof of vaccination is automatically restricting your patrons, not based on if they're pissed or not, or violent, or just not welcome. Pubs have a right to demand proof of age because of the legal status of what they sell, not what sort of person they sell it to.
They couldn't enforce mask-wearing because of the cost of 'proof of exemption' so made it self-produced and left it up to individual business. Result? Sporadic application. Bung proof of vaccination on smartphones and it comes against the same hurdles as 'track 'n' trace'. Not everyone has one, and no one actually trusts the government with data, especially medical. So sporadic application by pubs will result.

Last edited:

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
While I understand your rebellion pose against ear tags or whatever your imagination has invented to rebel against ...
I actually agree with you on your point a).
I run a business. We can choose to serve whoever we want.
However, being in business, the whole point is to earn money from customers. So demanding proof of vaccination is automatically restricting your patrons, not based on if they're pissed or not, or violent, or just not welcome. Pubs have a right to demand proof of age because of the legal status of what they sell, not what sort of person they sell it to.
They couldn't enforce mask-wearing because of the cost of 'proof of exemption' so made it self-produced and left it up to individual business. Result? Sporadic application. Bung proof of vaccination on smartphones and it comes against the same hurdles as 'track 'n' trace'. Not everyone has one, and no one actually trusts the government with data, especially medical. So sporadic application by pubs will result.
Not going to get into the rights or wrongs but I have been vaccinated but I have no proof. So if anyone asked me there is no way I could confirm it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Not going to get into the rights or wrongs but I have been vaccinated but I have no proof. So if anyone asked me there is no way I could confirm it.
They didn't give you a little card? That's the standard procedure.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
They didn't give you a little card? That's the standard procedure.
Nope, I thought I would get one and I was handed a pile of stuff but no little card. When I have gone back and looked at various people posting their card I notice they all say NHS England.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
Nope, I thought I would get one and I was handed a pile of stuff but no little card. When I have gone back and looked at various people posting their card I notice they all say NHS England.
Hopefully they've logged all of your details somewhere. The cards have batch numbers and a date of vaccination - I had to write my own name on it. So not really 'proof' as such.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
You would be able to get a letter from your GP, assuming that your records have been updated (and I'm not convinced that will always be the case for people vaccinated at a hub). Of course, GPs like to charge people for that sort of thing.

I don't think there has been much talk of this happening in Scotland, but I suppose it's possible that no-one wants to make it an election issue.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
You would be able to get a letter from your GP, assuming that your records have been updated (and I'm not convinced that will always be the case for people vaccinated at a hub). Of course, GPs like to charge people for that sort of thing.

I don't think there has been much talk of this happening in Scotland, but I suppose it's possible that no-one wants to make it an election issue.
I actually had my vaccine at my GP’s building, one of the pieces of paper I did get has a space for next vaccine shot but it’s just a printed pamphlet with no details of anything on it.