• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Iceland wants the Norwegian stock of AZ vaccine which they probably will not use. Both Janssen and AZ has been stopped here.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Another oxygen loss tragedy.

At least 22 Covid patients have died in a hospital in India after they lost oxygen supply due to a leak.

The incident occurred on Wednesday while an oxygen tanker was refilling a storage tank at the Zakir Hussain hospital in Nashik city. It's unclear how the accident happened and why it interrupted supply to patients. But officials said there was no oxygen flowing to ventilators for about 30 minutes, leading to the deaths.

"We will enquire into the matter and take action," the city's municipal commissioner Kailash Jadhav said.

The hospital had called in tankers after it had begun to run out of oxygen. Hospitals across the country are struggling to keep oxygen supply going amid soaring demand.

"We want strict action against the culprits," Amol Vyavhare, whose grandmother was one of the patients who died due to a lack of oxygen, told BBC Marathi.

Vicky Jadhav, whose grandmother was also among those who died, said she was "doing fine" when he left the hospital to bring her food.

"That's when I got a call that she had become critical. When I asked hospital authorities, they said that there is no oxygen left in the hospital."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56830418

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Ok, run this past me.

O2 is so easily made why do they need it delivered, why cant they make it?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Ok, run this past me.

O2 is so easily made why do they need it delivered, why cant they make it?
They could. The kind of unit that could do it would fit into a 40-foot shipping container.
I was told (by a man who bottles oxygen himself) that portable O2 units are available (just not in some parts of the world yet).

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Pfizer is reported to have identified fake vetsions of its vaccine in Poland and Mexico.

"The doses were seized by authorities in the two countries and confirmed by tests to be fake.

In Mexico, they had false labels, while the substance in Poland was believed to be anti-wrinkle treatment, Pfizer said.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that fake vaccines "pose a serious risk to global public health"."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-56844149

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
With Britain opening up but many bathrooms still closed, outdoor excrement is an 'increasingly serious problem'

"With Britain slowly easing its way out of its third nationwide lockdown, people across the country are enjoying a return to a sense of normalcy. Shops and gyms have reopened and parks are once again heaving with groups of up to six people - for many, it's a welcome step forward and a joy to be back socializing outdoors.

But what happens when nature calls?

British media reported Wednesday that the "Friends of Tooting Common" group in South London had also demanded more toilets be installed in order to "avoid unsanitary and inappropriate use of bushes and wooded areas" which has been an escalating problem since the weather began improving along with the lifting of stringent restrictions.

The group branded human excrement an "increasingly serious problem," adding that it was also concerned about the volume of litter being left behind by visitors who flock to the area to eat and drink outside with friends - often for hours at a time and under the influence of alcohol.

Across the country, police patrols have been stepped up in a bid to deter people from urinating in bushes, on beaches and on private allotments. The problem isn't just in parks, with towns and cities complaining that people spending time outdoors had no choice but to defecate in the street - much to the horror of local residents who said the odor was so bad on certain streets they were unable to open their windows and had to clean up after others with bleach and water."

https://www.chron.com/news/article/With-Britain-opening-up-but-many-bathrooms-still-16120510.php

:popc:

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
With Britain opening up but many bathrooms still closed, outdoor excrement is an 'increasingly serious problem'

"With Britain slowly easing its way out of its third nationwide lockdown, people across the country are enjoying a return to a sense of normalcy. Shops and gyms have reopened and parks are once again heaving with groups of up to six people - for many, it's a welcome step forward and a joy to be back socializing outdoors.

British media reported Wednesday that the "Friends of Tooting Common" group in South London had also demanded more toilets be installed in order to "avoid unsanitary and inappropriate use of bushes and wooded areas" which has been an escalating problem since the weather began improving along with the lifting of stringent restrictions.

The group branded human excrement an "increasingly serious problem," adding that it was also concerned about the volume of litter being left behind by visitors who flock to the area to eat and drink outside with friends - often for hours at a time and under the influence of alcohol.

Across the country, police patrols have been stepped up in a bid to deter people from urinating in bushes, on beaches and on private allotments. The problem isn't just in parks, with towns and cities complaining that people spending time outdoors had no choice but to defecate in the street - much to the horror of local residents who said the odor was so bad on certain streets they were unable to open their windows and had to clean up after others with bleach and water."

https://www.chron.com/news/article/With-Britain-opening-up-but-many-bathrooms-still-16120510.php

maximus otter
We've get dozens and dozens of people ask to use the locked up because of covid toilet at our work place every week .. angry people, people with little kids, people with lanyards etc etc .. I refuse all of them because .. covid. I've only let three people do it so far out of hundreds .. an on duty paramedic (then I sterilised it afterwards), a disabled woman (then I sterilised it afterwards) and an insanely old man walking with a stick (then I sterilised if afterwards) .. everyone else can fuck off. I explain to them "Do you want the same person who's making your food right now to be the same person who's sterilising pandemic era toilets inbetween sandwich etc ordering customers?". They go quiet and nod. I do though direct some customers to a place outside instead they can go for a crafty piss without getting caught.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

maximus otter
I was quite suprised that all the public toilets were open in town when i visited yesterday, up until then only 1 out of the 3 were open.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Covid cops take action.

A man has been arrested in Spain on suspicion of assault after allegedly infecting 22 people with Covid.

The 40-year-old is alleged to have continued to go to work and the gym despite having a cough and a temperature of more than 40C (104F). He is said to have walked around his place of work in Majorca, pulling his mask down, coughing and telling colleagues he was going to infect them. Five colleagues and three fellow gym goers later tested positive. Another 14 people - family members of the infected - also came down with Covid, including three one-year-olds.

In a statement released on Saturday, Spanish police said the man had been exhibiting symptoms for a number of days, but refused to go home from work in the town of Manacor.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56874018

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Covid cops take action.

A man has been arrested in Spain on suspicion of assault after allegedly infecting 22 people with Covid.

The 40-year-old is alleged to have continued to go to work and the gym despite having a cough and a temperature of more than 40C (104F). He is said to have walked around his place of work in Majorca, pulling his mask down, coughing and telling colleagues he was going to infect them. Five colleagues and three fellow gym goers later tested positive. Another 14 people - family members of the infected - also came down with Covid, including three one-year-olds.

In a statement released on Saturday, Spanish police said the man had been exhibiting symptoms for a number of days, but refused to go home from work in the town of Manacor.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56874018
He deserves a 'covidiot' award somehow .. and to be arrested.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Be prepared!

A Google affiliate is using drones in the US to deliver Girl Scout cookies to people’s doorsteps.

The town of Christiansburg in Virginia has been a testing ground for commercial delivery drones operated by Wing, a subsidiary of Google’s corporate parent Alphabet. Now the company is adding the famous boxed cookies to the more mundane pharmacy offerings, FedEx packages and locally-made pastries, tacos and cold brew coffees it has been hauling to a thinly populated area of residents since 2019.

Wing said it began talking to local Girl Scout troops because they have been having a harder time selling cookies during the pandemic, when fewer people are out and about.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40276721.html

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Instructions and templates for forging US CDC vaccination verification cards are proliferating through social media channels.
Specific directions showing how to forge Covid-19 vaccination cards have proliferated on conspiracy ... and anti-vaccination forums throughout the internet in recent weeks, as users have exploited a largely makeshift verification system.

The cards, distributed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have been handed out to the more than 140 million Americans who have already received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccination. The Biden administration has declared it wouldn't create a federal vaccination database, citing privacy concerns, paving the way for the cards to become the country’s default national way to verify if someone has been vaccinated.

And while one state — New York — has embraced a vaccination verification app, there is scant evidence that others are close behind. ...
FULL STORY: https://news.yahoo.com/forgeries-spread-cdc-tells-states-204449132.html

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Owner of bizarre museum forced to sell off some of his exhibits due to pandemic

The owner of a bizarre museum housing a rare Dodo bone, feathers of extinct birds and a unicorn skull has been forced to sell off some of his exhibits due to the pandemic.

Artist, writer and collector Viktor Wynd is selling the selection of strange pieces to keep his Museum of Curiosities, Fine Art & UnNatural History afloat.

His museum in Hackney, east London, which has been going for 12 years, has not had many visitors over the last year because of lockdown restrictions.

Taxidermy winged kittens, a two-and-a-half foot leg bone from a woolly mammoth described as an 'Irish giant', Queen Victoria's knickers and even his own pants are among the 442 lots being put up for auction. Around 80 of the lots are from Mr Wynd's collection.

For an estimated £3,000 to £5,000 a dodo bone can be bought in the sale, along with a 19th Century electric shock therapy machine, an aquatic dinosaur fossil, 12 hippo tusks and teeth, a Fiji 'mermaid', a fibreglass model of T. Rex head, a taxidermy polar bear head and a rare unicorn skull.

Viktor Wynd said: "In the last year we haven't been able to trade so our finances are disastrous. We rely on foreign tourists and people from out of town. It's utterly heart-breaking, I would never dream of selling so many of my greatest treasures, but we have no other way of surviving.”

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/owner-bizarre-museum-housing-forced-20515255

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Owner of bizarre museum forced to sell off some of his exhibits due to pandemic

The owner of a bizarre museum housing a rare Dodo bone, feathers of extinct birds and a unicorn skull has been forced to sell off some of his exhibits due to the pandemic.

Artist, writer and collector Viktor Wynd is selling the selection of strange pieces to keep his Museum of Curiosities, Fine Art & UnNatural History afloat.

His museum in Hackney, east London, which has been going for 12 years, has not had many visitors over the last year because of lockdown restrictions.

Taxidermy winged kittens, a two-and-a-half foot leg bone from a woolly mammoth described as an 'Irish giant', Queen Victoria's knickers and even his own pants are among the 442 lots being put up for auction. Around 80 of the lots are from Mr Wynd's collection.

For an estimated £3,000 to £5,000 a dodo bone can be bought in the sale, along with a 19th Century electric shock therapy machine, an aquatic dinosaur fossil, 12 hippo tusks and teeth, a Fiji 'mermaid', a fibreglass model of T. Rex head, a taxidermy polar bear head and a rare unicorn skull.

Viktor Wynd said: "In the last year we haven't been able to trade so our finances are disastrous. We rely on foreign tourists and people from out of town. It's utterly heart-breaking, I would never dream of selling so many of my greatest treasures, but we have no other way of surviving.”

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/owner-bizarre-museum-housing-forced-20515255

maximus otter
I must visit ASAP to help out.
It's sad that he's had to sell off stuff just to pay the rent.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A town in Japan has spent its covid relief fund on a giant statue of a squid.

Covid: Japan town builds giant squid statue with relief money

_118314874_squid1.jpg

The 13m-long (43ft) sea creature lies in the port of Noto, where flying squid is the town's delicacy.

It reportedly used 25m yen ($228,500; £164,700) of the emergency funding to build the statue.

Noto officials have told local media it is part of a long term plan to lure tourists back after the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56978075

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

View attachment 38875

The 13m-long (43ft) sea creature lies in the port of Noto, where flying squid is the town's delicacy.

It reportedly used 25m yen ($228,500; £164,700) of the emergency funding to build the statue.

Noto officials have told local media it is part of a long term plan to lure tourists back after the pandemic.

I bet Cromer built a giant crab with their relief money.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score

View attachment 38875

Are they allowed to do that with emergency relief money? Daft.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what appears to be an even more egregious misapplication of COVID relief funds. A Massachusetts pizza parlor owner exaggerated the size of his business to get a large loan, then closed the business and spent the money on setting up an alpaca farm, buying at least one classic automobile, and funding his radio show.
Feds: Man used fraudulent PPP loan to buy alpaca farm

The owner of a Massachusetts pizza parlor lied about the number of employees he had to fraudulently obtain more than $660,000 in federal coronavirus relief funds, then used some of the money to buy and stock an alpaca farm in Vermont, federal prosecutors said Tuesday.

Dana McIntyre, 57, of Grafton, Vermont, was arrested Tuesday and charged with wire fraud and money laundering ...

McIntyre, who formerly lived in Beverly and Essex, Massachusetts, was the owner of Rasta Pasta Pizzeria in Beverly in April 2020 when he applied for a Paycheck Protection Program loan ...

But in his application, he falsified an official tax form and claimed the pizza shop had almost 50 employees ... in an effort to inflate the size of the loan he was entitled to ...

After receiving the loan, he sold the pizza shop and used the money to purchase and upgrade a farm in Vermont and buy several alpacas, .... He also bought at least two vehicles — including a 1950 Hudson — and weekly airtime for a cryptocurrency-themed radio show that he hosted ...

If convicted of both charges, he faces up to 40 years in prison and $750,000 in fines.
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/article/business...ities-health-42db551e61b04c5cf7dcf8cbe3ee5944