COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another Everest-related story from Nepal. The local mountaineering authority is asking climbers to bring their oxygen bottles back down with them rather than abandoning them on the mountain(s). The canisters are desperately needed to deal with the rising numbers of COVID patients.
Bring Back Your Empty Oxygen Tanks, Everest Climbers Are Urged

The Nepal Mountaineering Association has asked the climbers to help Nepal deal with a surge in COVID-19 cases that has brought the country's fragile healthcare system to breaking point, as it has in neighbouring India where deaths held close to record highs on Monday. ...

Nepal is so short of oxygen canisters that it has asked climbers on Mount Everest to bring back their empties instead of abandoning them on mountain slopes, an official said on Monday, as it struggles with a second wave of the coronavirus.

The country issued climbing permits to more than 700 climbers for 16 Himalayan peaks - 408 to Mount Everest - for the April-May climbing season in a bid to get the mountaineering industry and tourism back up and running. ...

Kul Bahadur Gurung, a senior official with the NMA, said climbers and their Sherpa guides were estimated to have carried at least 3,500 oxygen bottles this season. These bottles often get buried in avalanches or are abandoned on the mountain slopes at the end of the expedition. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/bri...anks-mount-everest-climbers-are-urged-2438718

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Are they allowed to do that with emergency relief money? Daft.
This situation has brought out the very best and the worst in people hasn't it .. some people have shone .. I'm currently trying to recruit one woman in particular, a key worker who was no nonsense, rolled up her sleeves, put herself at risk and grafted. Other people only saw money opportunities and moaned instead.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a Fortean approach to dealing with the pandemic. An Indian stenographer and amateur numerologist has announced that changing the names used to refer to the virus and the disease will result in their eradication.
Andhra Pradesh: Man says change ‘Covid’ to ‘Covviyd’ to end pandemic

In a bizarre, unscientific claim, S V Anand Rao (Annandd Rao), a stenographer with the judicial department in Anantapur district, has said that changing the name of Covid-19 to 'Covviyd-19' would eradicate the pandemic from the world.

Annandd Rao, who practices numerology as a hobby, has set up a banner asking the public to use the changed spelling.

"If you use the changed spelling of 'Caronaa' and 'Covviyd-19' and affix the same to either doors or in public places, 'Caronaa' will disappear not only fro Anantapur district, but also from the world. This is guaranteed as it is divine power as per numerology," reads the banner. ...
FULL STORY: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...viyd-to-end-pandemic/articleshow/82505336.cms

Swifty

Reaction score
Here's a Fortean approach to dealing with the pandemic. An Indian stenographer and amateur numerologist has announced that changing the names used to refer to the virus and the disease will result in their eradication.

FULL STORY: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...viyd-to-end-pandemic/articleshow/82505336.cms
So he's not just seeking self publicity at all then. People like him really piss me off. Cowards are everywhere. .. "National emergency declared? .. but how can I benefit from this situation?".

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Hope you like a challenge.

E1QQZyZXMAA_i4B.png

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Town Crier Championship silenced by Covid. Maybe they should have mimed the news?

For the first time in its history, this year's British Town Crier Championships is being held in complete silence.

As the country starts to exit lockdown, the UK's top professional shouters will be judged on their written cries alone. The Loyal Company of Town Criers, which hosts the competition, has received hundreds of entries from across the country.

Organiser and Bishops Stortford crier Carole Williams said it was "a return to the bare bones of crying. It's a real skill to write a cry that sticks to the theme, that enlightens people, and doesn't bore the audience. And it all has to be done in 140 words," she said.

Organisers decided to judge the 2021 competition without sound because not everyone is able to record a good-quality video, she added. ...

Dorchester's crier, Alistair Chisholm, is a 10-time and current national champion who describes crying as "an extreme sport".
He said the quality of the written cries was important, but the competition would not be the same without sound.

"When you write a cry you write it for you," he said. "You put in your own expression onto the page for your voice alone."

He added that he tried crying in a face mask during lockdown, but "they make it come out all muffly".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-56766202

And we have a winner.

Britain's top town crier has been revealed following a silent contest involving only written entries.

Reigning champion Alistair Chisholm, of Dorchester, Dorset, won with his virtual cry about the mental toll of the pandemic. The contest, which was cancelled last year due to Covid, was held in silence for the first time in its history. Instead of using their voices, criers had to submit 140 words on the topic of "nature and the environment".

Organiser and Bishops Stortford crier Carole Williams said it was "a real skill to write a cry that sticks to the theme, that enlightens people, and doesn't bore the audience".

Rawden Kerr, town crier of Great Harwood, Lancashire, came second with Les Cutts, crier for Halifax and Hebden Royd, in West Yorkshire, winning third place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-57113747

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
The National Audit Office (NAO) estimates the cost of the pandemic has risen to a stupendous £372 billion

The £372 billion cost of covid to the taxpayer amounts to spending of over £5,000 per head of population. Spending that will inevitably translate into higher taxes...

https://order-order.com/2021/05/17/372-billion-cost-of-covid-so-far/

maximus otter

Swifty

Reaction score
Neither of us are anti vaxers but .. the Mrs has written this about her Dad:

"I found out today my Dad has lost his sight permanently in one eye. This first started due to first Astra Zeneca vaccination in January and worsened due to second dose. Now the retina has detached and he is still in a lot of pain.
Just feel so devastated after so many hospital visits and denials. Both flare ups happened after vaccination and my Mum took photos of his extremely swollen inflamed eye after each vaccination .Just trying to take this in."

I've no idea if this situation is anything to do with Astra Zeneca or not .. maybe it's a separate health condition.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

"I found out today my Dad has lost his sight permanently in one eye. This first started due to first Astra Zeneca vaccination in January and worsened due to second dose. Now the retina has detached and he is still in a lot of pain.
Just feel so devastated after so many hospital visits and denials. Both flare ups happened after vaccination and my Mum took photos of his extremely swollen inflamed eye after each vaccination .Just trying to take this in."

I've no idea if this situation is anything to do with Astra Zeneca or not .. maybe it's a separate health condition.
Im sorry, that sucks :(

Swifty

Reaction score
Im sorry, that sucks :(
Thanks mate. It might not be related to the vaccine. I've been making him sandwiches and he sent me £40 on my birthday which I wasn't expecting at all so he's still soldiering on. I couldn't thank him over the phone because he's gone mostly deaf but I asked the Mrs's Mum to thank him on my behalf.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Thanks mate. It might not be related to the vaccine. I've been making him sandwiches and he sent me £40 on my birthday which I wasn't expecting at all so he's still soldiering on. I couldn't thank him over the phone because he's gone mostly deaf but I asked the Mrs's Mum to thank him on my behalf.
Its not something ive heard in relation to the jabs, but it still sucks :(

Ogdred Weary

Drag Queen of Dragons
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that Swifty, could be a highly unusual and awful vaccine reaction or could simply be coincidence.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Just another Covid skeptic.

Special Belgian police units are searching woodland for a heavily armed soldier who disappeared after reportedly making violent threats.

Described as a military shooting instructor, he has in the past made threats against virologist Marc Van Ranst, who led Belgium's public health response to coronavirus. Mr Van Ranst and his family have been taken to a safe place. The suspect is said to be armed with a rocket launcher and guns.

Police were searching a forest near Dilsen-Stokkem in the Limburg province of northern Belgium, after a car said to belong to the soldier was spotted containing heavy weapons. Reports describe the man as a "potentially highly violent extremist" with far-right views. He is said to have left letters indicating he is prepared for a deadly battle with police and "could no longer live in a society where politicians and virologists have taken everything away from us".

The suspect is thought to have removed a number of weapons, including a sub-machinegun, from an army barracks, claiming he had organised a shooting practice for the army. He is also said to be wearing a bulletproof vest.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57168576

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Pandemic mask mountain sets new recycling challenge

Around 129 billion disposable masks are used every month around the world, according to the American Chemical Society.

GettyImages-1255227390-e1596918060799.jpg

Made out of polypropylene plastic material, elastic and metal, used masks are usually thrown out in garbage bins, destined for landfills, or incinerated.

They are also littering streets, rivers and oceans, harming wildlife.

But researchers and companies are looking for ways to put masks to good use, though it is not a very profitable venture at the moment.

https://phys.org/news/2021-05-pandemic-mask-mountain-recycling.html

maximus otter

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Info held on those using the NHS Test and Trace app:

"Test and Trace: overarching privacy notice

Updated 23 April 2021

Personal data​

Personal dataUsed by Test?Used by Trace?Used by Contain? (including research)Used by JBC?
Full name – to correctly identify and prove the eligibility of an individualYesYesYesYes
Date of birth – to analyse demographics of population. Age alone is insufficient as it does not allow differentiation between groups within sub-categories such as school yearsYesYesYesYes
NHS number – for English residents and if they know it – Wales, Scotland and NI residents may need to provide a different local identifier, which will be specified upon registering for a test and/or as part of contact tracingYesYes--
Home address (including postcode) – to correctly send test kits to an individual’s home addresses and to enable PHE to contact those who are positive as part of active follow up/national enhanced surveillanceYesYesYesYes
Other addresses, for example temporary, provided by users – as aboveYesYesYesYes
Landline and/or mobile phone numbers – to be able to contact those who have taken the test and advise them whether they need to self-isolate, thus disrupting the spread of the virusYesYes--
Email address – as aboveYesYes--
Vehicle registration number – if booking a test at a regional test site this will allow accessYes---
National Insurance (NINO) number – to ensure identity and eligibility of individuals booking testsYes---
Employer details – to ensure that those infected can be supported and the wider organisation protectedYesYes--
Occupation details – gathered for analytics on COVID-19 sectorial impactYesYes-Yes
Locations visited by individuals – collected via venue logs and the NHS COVID-19 app to enable potentially infected individuals to be contacted and supported-YesYesYes
Passenger journey itinerary (for example, travel dates, flight, train, coach or ferry seat numbers, locations, travel operators) – to monitor self-isolation and to identify close contacts of cases-YesYes-
Unique Identifying Codes – identification codes are used to correctly link a tested individual to their own test resultYesYes--
Parents’ or guardians’ contact details may be taken when we have activities such as testing or contact tracing involving children – to collect a child’s personal data and to test the childYesYes--
Third parties’ contact details may be taken when they have agreed to be contacted on behalf of other adults – to be able to contact those who have taken the test and advise them whether they need to self-isolate, thus disrupting the spread of the virusYesYes--

Special category data​

Special category dataUsed by Test?Used by Trace?Used by Contain? (including research)Used by JBC?
Information relating to the individual’s physical or mental health condition – if a medical practitioner determines that the health information is pertinent to the infection of COVID-19, and where the health condition could cause further complications or could cause difficulties undertaking the test, then this health information may be collectedYesYesYesYes
Information relating to the family of the individual and the individual’s lifestyle and social circumstances – details of household members may be collected as part of tracing where positively tested individuals will be linked to contacts-YesYesYes
Information which relates to the ethnic origin of the individual – there is growing evidence that BAME communities are disproportionally affected by COVID-19, so capturing this information will allow this to be researched furtherYesYesYesYes
Information relating to genetic/biometric details (where processed to uniquely identify an individual) – tests will take swabs of a person’s mouth/nasal passage for testing and this will contain genetic data in the sample. This will be used for testing but also the results of this test may be used for tracing and contain purposesYesYesYesNo

Criminal convictions or alleged criminal behaviour​

Criminal convictions or alleged criminal behaviourUsed by Test?Used by Trace?Used by Contain? (including research)Used by JBC?
Information relating to any offences committed where we provide a testing service in prisons and where enforcement action may be taken against individuals who may fail to self-isolate – the prisoner early release and the prisoner protection programme (shielding/vulnerable lists) may engage with details of offences and sentencing. It should also be noted that in answering police requests for information to support potential self-isolation breaches and/or in the provision of similar data to the local authorities for triage it can be inferred that those individuals will be subject to law enforcement investigation, leading to potential criminal proceedingsYesYesYesNo

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ion/test-and-trace-overarching-privacy-notice

- And nobody's concerned about all of this information about them, flowing into government data banks? Oh yes: it's to keep us all "safe", isn't it.

So that's OK, then.

maximus otter

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Info held on those using the NHS Test and Trace app:

"Test and Trace: overarching privacy notice

Updated 23 April 2021

Personal data​

Personal dataUsed by Test?Used by Trace?Used by Contain? (including research)Used by JBC?
Full name – to correctly identify and prove the eligibility of an individualYesYesYesYes
Date of birth – to analyse demographics of population. Age alone is insufficient as it does not allow differentiation between groups within sub-categories such as school yearsYesYesYesYes
NHS number – for English residents and if they know it – Wales, Scotland and NI residents may need to provide a different local identifier, which will be specified upon registering for a test and/or as part of contact tracingYesYes--
Home address (including postcode) – to correctly send test kits to an individual’s home addresses and to enable PHE to contact those who are positive as part of active follow up/national enhanced surveillanceYesYesYesYes
Other addresses, for example temporary, provided by users – as aboveYesYesYesYes
Landline and/or mobile phone numbers – to be able to contact those who have taken the test and advise them whether they need to self-isolate, thus disrupting the spread of the virusYesYes--
Email address – as aboveYesYes--
Vehicle registration number – if booking a test at a regional test site this will allow accessYes---
National Insurance (NINO) number – to ensure identity and eligibility of individuals booking testsYes---
Employer details – to ensure that those infected can be supported and the wider organisation protectedYesYes--
Occupation details – gathered for analytics on COVID-19 sectorial impactYesYes-Yes
Locations visited by individuals – collected via venue logs and the NHS COVID-19 app to enable potentially infected individuals to be contacted and supported-YesYesYes
Passenger journey itinerary (for example, travel dates, flight, train, coach or ferry seat numbers, locations, travel operators) – to monitor self-isolation and to identify close contacts of cases-YesYes-
Unique Identifying Codes – identification codes are used to correctly link a tested individual to their own test resultYesYes--
Parents’ or guardians’ contact details may be taken when we have activities such as testing or contact tracing involving children – to collect a child’s personal data and to test the childYesYes--
Third parties’ contact details may be taken when they have agreed to be contacted on behalf of other adults – to be able to contact those who have taken the test and advise them whether they need to self-isolate, thus disrupting the spread of the virusYesYes--

Special category data​

Special category dataUsed by Test?Used by Trace?Used by Contain? (including research)Used by JBC?
Information relating to the individual’s physical or mental health condition – if a medical practitioner determines that the health information is pertinent to the infection of COVID-19, and where the health condition could cause further complications or could cause difficulties undertaking the test, then this health information may be collectedYesYesYesYes
Information relating to the family of the individual and the individual’s lifestyle and social circumstances – details of household members may be collected as part of tracing where positively tested individuals will be linked to contacts-YesYesYes
Information which relates to the ethnic origin of the individual – there is growing evidence that BAME communities are disproportionally affected by COVID-19, so capturing this information will allow this to be researched furtherYesYesYesYes
Information relating to genetic/biometric details (where processed to uniquely identify an individual) – tests will take swabs of a person’s mouth/nasal passage for testing and this will contain genetic data in the sample. This will be used for testing but also the results of this test may be used for tracing and contain purposesYesYesYesNo

Criminal convictions or alleged criminal behaviour​

Criminal convictions or alleged criminal behaviourUsed by Test?Used by Trace?Used by Contain? (including research)Used by JBC?
Information relating to any offences committed where we provide a testing service in prisons and where enforcement action may be taken against individuals who may fail to self-isolate – the prisoner early release and the prisoner protection programme (shielding/vulnerable lists) may engage with details of offences and sentencing. It should also be noted that in answering police requests for information to support potential self-isolation breaches and/or in the provision of similar data to the local authorities for triage it can be inferred that those individuals will be subject to law enforcement investigation, leading to potential criminal proceedingsYesYesYesNo

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ion/test-and-trace-overarching-privacy-notice

- And nobody's concerned about all of this information about them, flowing into government data banks? Oh yes: it's to keep us all "safe", isn't it.

So that's OK, then.

maximus otter
Isnt the NHS a government agency anyway? As is HMRC which has a record of NI number, occupation details etc.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Dating app services are beginning to add flagging, filtering and incentives based on members' vaccination status.
A new reason to swipe right? Dating apps adding vax badges

... Apps like Hinge, Tinder, Match and Bumble are offering special incentives to people who roll up their sleeves, including badges showing vaccination status and free access to premium content. BLK and Chispa will boost profiles of those who are vaccinated, to make them more visible to potential matches. And OKCupid will even let users filter out potential partners based on whether they’ve gotten a vaccine. ...
https://apnews.com/article/politics...th-lifestyle-39e59dc1f6e475fa98a27b115c05b48d

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Thailand is training and deploying sniffer dogs to detect COVID-infected people.
Sniffing Labrador retrievers join Thai coronavirus fight

Thailand has started deploying a canine virus-detecting squad in hopes of quickly identifying people with COVID-19 as the country faces a surge in cases ...

Angel, Bobby and Bravo are among six Labrador retrievers that have been trained by researchers at the veterinary faculty of Bangkok’s Chulalongkorn University to sniff out a unique odor that people with COVID-19 produce in their sweat ...

Since May 10, the three have tested more than 1,000 samples from college staff, students and people outside the university.

The results so far are impressive. After a few seconds of sniffing sweat samples placed in metal containers, the dogs can tell which people have COVID-19 infections. If there’s no trace of infection, the dog will walk pass the sample. If it is positive, it will sit in front of it. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/asia-pac...ience-health-facf2e85a67e985e87d71edd5307c181