COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
The Indian government is demanding social media remove posts refering to the phrase 'Indian Varient'

"India's government has instructed social media companies to remove any content that refers to the "Indian variant" of Covid-19.

The IT ministry said the World Health Organization (WHO) listed the variant as B.1.617 and any reference to "Indian" was false.

Geographical terms have been used to describe a number of other variants, including the UK and Brazil.

India's government has faced criticism over its handling of Covid-19."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57213046

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
New research (currently in preprint form awaiting peer review) has tested the accuracy rate of sniffer dogs in detecting COVID-positive people (including asymptomatic ones).
Dogs Can Detect Over 90% of COVID-19 Cases, Even Asymptomatic Ones

Dogs can be trained to detect more than 90 percent of COVID-19 infections even when patients are asymptomatic, according to new research available in preprint, which authors hope could help replace the need to quarantine new arrivals. ...

Several previous studies have shown proof-of-concept that dogs can detect SARS-CoV-2.

Researchers from the London School of Tropical Medicine wanted to see if dogs could detect a distinctive odor given off from chemical compounds associated with someone who is COVID positive but doesn't show symptoms.

They gathered samples of clothing and face masks from people who had tested positive for mild or symptomatic SARS-CoV-2. ...

Overall, the dogs were successfully able to identify between 94 and 82 percent of SARS-CoV-2 samples. ...

Authors of the research, which has yet to be peer-reviewed, said they hoped it could eventually replace the need for travelers to quarantine - which necessarily disrupts every arrival even though the vast majority are not COVID positive.

"The key thing is that dogs are significantly quicker than other tests," said co-author James Logan. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/new-preprint-study-shows-dogs-can-detect-covid-19-positive-arrivals

RESEARCH REPORT (Pre-Print / Yet To Be Peer Reviewed): https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/media/49791

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Getting vaccinated has become the latest socially volatile issue pitting teens against their parents (and applicable laws).
Faced with anti-vaccination parents, teens are helping one another get Covid shots

The dilemma for some teenagers is "I know vaccines are lifesaving, but I don't want to become homeless" by defying their parents' wishes. ,..

The Gen Zer from Ohio who made a splash two years ago for defying his mother to get his childhood immunizations has a message for teenagers seeking Covid-19 vaccinations and getting pushback from their parents — get one if you can.

Ethan Lindenberger, 20, got his first dose three weeks ago and said doing so “could save someone’s life.”

“Teens faced with this have to weigh things like ‘I know vaccines are lifesaving, but I don’t want to become homeless,’” he said. “So I tell them if you can’t have that loving conversation with your parents and you’re of age, weigh those consequences seriously.

“Don’t get yourself kicked out or seriously in trouble ... but, if you’re able to have that conversation, please get your shots as soon as possible,” he said. ...

There are 25 million children ages 12 to 17 ... And while the rates of death or serious disease from Covid-19 are lower in children than in adults, public health experts have said getting this population vaccinated is a critically important step toward completely reopening the country’s schools and the economy.

Still, a recent poll by the Kaiser Family Foundation's Vaccine Monitor found that nearly a quarter of parents surveyed would not allow their teenagers to be vaccinated and 18 percent said they would do it only if the schools mandated it.

Parental consent is something children have to contend with across the country, but it’s not a one-size-fits-all approach as states have differing rules.

Nearly all states require consent from a parent or guardian to administer a Covid-19 vaccine shot to children ages 12 to 15, the group the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention approved for shots this month ...

There are exceptions in just five states: In North Carolina, teenagers can receive vaccinations without parental consent; in Tennessee and Alabama, teenagers 14 and older don’t need consent; in Oregon, the age is set at 15; and in Iowa, it’s up to the health care provider to decide.

In all other states, those 12 to 15 are required to have parental approval before receiving the Covid-19 vaccination. For teenagers 16 to 18, though, it’s all over the map. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...nts-teens-are-helping-each-other-get-n1268093

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
That plane should have been shot down.

An Indian couple were married midair on a chartered flight in front of more than 160 friends and family on Sunday.

The bride and groom, from Madurai in southern India, hired the chartered flight seemingly in order to avoid extended government lockdowns in the state of Tamil Nadu.

Local reporter Donthu Ramesh shared a video of the wedding ceremony to Twitter on Sunday. In the short clip, many of the guests can be seen flouting coronavirus regulations by not wearing a mask on board as others stand and walk along the aisle.

Ramesh said the couple, known only as Rakesh and Dheekshana, rented the SpiceJet plane for two hours and flew from Madurai to Bangalore, before flying back to Madurai.

The flight's journey was also reportedly captured on flightradar24, showing the Boeing 737 leaving Madurai on the Sunday before circling Tenkasi, briefly crossing into the state of Kerala and then returning back to its original destination.

https://www.newsweek.com/couple-married-flight-plane-filled-guests-exploit-lockdown-loophole-1594223

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
That plane should have been shot down.

An Indian couple were married midair on a chartered flight in front of more than 160 friends and family on Sunday.

The bride and groom, from Madurai in southern India, hired the chartered flight seemingly in order to avoid extended government lockdowns in the state of Tamil Nadu.

Local reporter Donthu Ramesh shared a video of the wedding ceremony to Twitter on Sunday. In the short clip, many of the guests can be seen flouting coronavirus regulations by not wearing a mask on board as others stand and walk along the aisle.

Ramesh said the couple, known only as Rakesh and Dheekshana, rented the SpiceJet plane for two hours and flew from Madurai to Bangalore, before flying back to Madurai.

The flight's journey was also reportedly captured on flightradar24, showing the Boeing 737 leaving Madurai on the Sunday before circling Tenkasi, briefly crossing into the state of Kerala and then returning back to its original destination.

https://www.newsweek.com/couple-married-flight-plane-filled-guests-exploit-lockdown-loophole-1594223
And they wonder why covid infection is out of control

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
President Biden not getting a straight answer about the origin of covid has issued an order to all the intelligence departments for a report in 90 days on his desk about where covid came from.

It seems the fact that Wuhan workers were sick before China admitted it to be so has got Biden upset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
President Biden not getting a straight answer about the origin of covid has issued an order to all the intelligence departments for a report in 90 days on his desk about where covid came from.

It seems the fact that Wuhan workers were sick before China admitted it to be so has got Biden upset.
It's a start, but it may take more than 90 days to find proper evidence either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Some people continue to have extreme views on vaccination and aren't afraid to act them out ...
Tennessee woman arrested for speeding through COVID-19 vaccination tent in protest, authorities say

A Tennessee woman was arrested this week after authorities say she drove her SUV through a COVID-19 vaccination tent, nearly hitting several people while yelling "no vaccine."

Virginia Christine Lewis Brown, 36, of Greenback, has been charged with seven felony counts of reckless endangerment. ...

The incident in question occurred Monday morning at a COVID-19 vaccination tent set up in the parking lot of the Foothills Mall in Maryville, a suburb of Knoxville. According to an incident report, two deputies from the Blount County Sheriff's Office said they were at the location when they saw a blue Chrysler SUV speed through a cone course, past the check-in area and then through the tent, where several health workers and National Guard personnel were preparing to administer COVID-19 vaccines. The vehicle did not stop and was traveling at a "high rate of speed," deputies wrote in the incident report. ...
FULL STORY: https://abcnews.go.com/US/tennessee-woman-arrested-speeding-covid-19-vaccination-tent/story

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
So much for high-tech social distancing aids ...
BBC Covid distancing sensor devices beset by noise and fire safety issues

When the BBC bought thousands of proximity sensors in January, the hope was that they would protect staff by aiding compliance with Covid-19 social distancing rules in newsrooms. Instead, it has had to deal with fears that the body-worn electronic devices could set themselves on fire – and complaints that they were so noisy, they disrupted recordings.

The Bluetooth technology was introduced in January to ensure that employees who had to go into the office and work as part of a team stayed 2 metres apart. ... If colleagues got too close to one another, an alarm would warn them to back away.

Unfortunately, according to a BBC source, “one started smoking” and they had to be withdrawn from use. “If they can’t handle daily use and start setting on fire or overheating, then they shouldn’t be here” ...

Another BBC employee said the units had already been largely discarded by staff, because they developed an unfortunate habit of being triggered on a regular basis. As a result, “they get in the way of making TV … they’re so noisy, so no one used them” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...covid-protection-devices-over-safety-concerns

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Tomorrow (Friday 4th June) will be my first day back in the office since 18th March 2020.
It's going to feel so weird!
Guess I'm going to have to dress reasonably respectably, so no cut-off canvas shorts, sleeveless shirt and beach clogs.
Oh and no swigging beer while I work either.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Tomorrow (Friday 4th June) will be my first day back in the office since 18th March 2020.
It's going to feel so weird!
Guess I'm going to have to dress reasonably respectably, so no cut-off canvas shorts, sleeveless shirt and beach clogs.
Oh and no swigging beer while I work either.
You could start a new trend

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This got me thinking about the government contemplating making vaccination compulsory for front-line health workers.
I can see the logic in this and I'm aware that it is already in their contract for surgeons to receive mandatory vaccinations, but is there a possible counter-argument from a civil liberties perspective?
To date the only substantive legal grounds for challenging COVID-19 vaccination requirements (IMHO) has been the argument that the vaccines are being administered under emergency authorizations and haven't cleared the formal validation / certification requirements that would otherwise apply.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
To date the only substantive legal grounds for challenging COVID-19 vaccination requirements (IMHO) has been the argument that the vaccines are being administered under emergency authorizations and haven't cleared the formal validation / certification requirements that would otherwise apply.
That's interesting.
I note though that at least one branch of the Unison union opposes the move, so the government may have difficulty in implementing this:

http://www.wirralunison.co.uk/article/336/wirral-unison-branch-update-24052021

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
A newly reported survey by a dating site indicates experience of the pandemic conditions has caused significant changes in young Americans' attitudes toward dating, intimacy, and sex.
Post-COVID-19 Dating Forecast: Singles Say Goodbye to One-Night Stands and Hello to More Intimate Connections

As a result of the pandemic and social distancing, 55% of young, single Americans turned to technology to be sexually intimate. As the country begins to reopen, new insights from dating app Plenty of Fish show that while 42% of singles are open to physical intimacy after the pandemic and are eager to meet new people, two-thirds will continue to be just as virtually connected after the pandemic as they were during, relying on video chats (61%), sexting (54%) and phone sex (47%). ...

These findings, among others, were revealed in a new survey of 2,900 Millennial and Gen Z Americans by Plenty of Fish and OnePoll, underscoring how the pandemic has changed the dating game for good. ...

According to the study, 64% of singles said being virtually intimate during the pandemic changed what they consider intimacy to be. Nearly 6 in 10 (57%) respondents now place higher value on other types of intimacy, like emotional or intellectual intimacy, while 45% find less value in physical connection. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...o-to-more-intimate-connections-301307767.html

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Some people are doing well out of this anyway.

I know a chap who has been on furlough since at least last September, possibly since the start. For months he's also been working a night shift elsewhere. He's now resigned the job that he was on furlough from , and is demanding his holiday pay, which the CAB assure him he is entitled to. In fact they advised him he's entitled to twice what he thought he was.

Bearing in mind that on furlough he should have been sat at home doing nothing (at least as far as that job is concerned) He would appear to be getting a bonus of several thousand pounds for sitting on his arris.

I have no idea if all the above is legal. But I do know that I'm starting to agree with some people I've met from time to time who regard normal decent people who don't screw the system as suckers and flats.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The first cruise ship from North America since 2020 sailing to St. Maarten with fully vaccinated crew and passengers still was hit with the covid.

Two passengers were quarantined for testing positive covid.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
The first cruise ship from North America since 2020 sailing to St. Maarten with fully vaccinated crew and passengers still was hit with the covid.

Two passengers were quarantined for testing positive covid.
Anyone who takes a cruise these days is clearly doing it for shits and giggles. But more shits.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
iu

maximus otter

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Another crazed guy.

A cashier was killed and three others injured following a dispute over face masks at a Georgia supermarket, according to authorities.

The shooting took place on Monday afternoon at the Big Bear Supermarket in Decatur, a suburb east of Atlanta, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) said in a news release.

Authorities said a man identified as Victor Lee Tucker Jr., 30, got into an argument with a cashier about his face mask. He left the store without making a purchase but then immediately returned, pulled out a handgun and shot the woman, according to the statement.

He then exchanged fire with an off-duty reserve DeKalb County sheriff’s deputy who tried to intervene, investigators said. Both were wounded.

A second cashier was grazed by a bullet and treated for the injury on the scene.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/face-mask-shooting-georgia_n_60c7efd7e4b02df18f7f8d6c

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
That's interesting.
I note though that at least one branch of the Unison union opposes the move, so the government may have difficulty in implementing this:

http://www.wirralunison.co.uk/article/336/wirral-unison-branch-update-24052021

Just watched a debate on the new GB News channel about whether vaccinations for public-facing care home workers should be mandatory.
The two GB News presenters were on opposite sides of the debate, with Apprentice winner Michelle Dewberry opposing such a move on civil liberty grounds, whilst ex-BBC presenter Nana Akua insisted that, if her gran had to go into a home, she would want to know all the staff she came into contact with had been vaccinated. I definitely agree with that latter view (if that's not getting too political).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Another crazed guy.

A cashier was killed and three others injured following a dispute over face masks at a Georgia supermarket, according to authorities.

The shooting took place on Monday afternoon at the Big Bear Supermarket in Decatur, a suburb east of Atlanta, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) said in a news release.

Authorities said a man identified as Victor Lee Tucker Jr., 30, got into an argument with a cashier about his face mask. He left the store without making a purchase but then immediately returned, pulled out a handgun and shot the woman, according to the statement.

He then exchanged fire with an off-duty reserve DeKalb County sheriff’s deputy who tried to intervene, investigators said. Both were wounded.

A second cashier was grazed by a bullet and treated for the injury on the scene.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/face-mask-shooting-georgia_n_60c7efd7e4b02df18f7f8d6c
The only surprise here is that this situation didn't arise sooner. :dunno:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Vid at link

Giant Buddhist statue gets Covid face mask in Japan

A 57m (187ft) Buddhist statue dedicated to the Goddess of Mercy, Kannon, in central Japan has been draped with a giant face covering.
Temple managers in Aizuwakamatsu plan to keep the figure masked until the Covid-19 pandemic is brought under control.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-57511335

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Another worrying case.

A man whose young children fear for their mother’s safety once he is released from custody has been sentenced to three years in prison for using coercion to control his family.

Imposing the sentence at Galway Circuit Criminal Court this week, Judge Rory McCabe concurred with the findings of psychiatric and probation reports handed into court, that 49-year-old Paul Harkin posed a high risk of re-offending and of committing violence against his partner.

The court heard Harkin believed in several conspiracy theories and his coercive control of his wife and two young children, then aged nine and seven, escalated in the run-up to the children’s impending return to school last September as he feared they would be vaccinated against Covid-19, which he believed was a hoax.

He also feared they would be brainwashed by the education system and wanted to home-school them himself.

He made veiled threats to his now-former wife, Fiona Clarke, that he would burn their house down, and the homes of her extended family without warning, resulting in the loss of 12 lives, if she did not behave and do as she was told. ...

The court heard Ms Clarke went out to work while her husband stayed at home. He got her to withdraw money from her account on a regular basis and give it to him. He spent most days watching conspiracy videos on his phone and drinking beer, the court heard.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40316120.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This UK anti-masker is finding out the hard way that ignoring mask mandates in other countries carries consequences. His attempts to cursorily dismiss the seriousness of his case probably isn't helping his cause.
Yorkshire anti-masker faces up to six months in Singapore prison after riding train without face covering

A British anti-masker has been detained in Singapore and faces up to six months in prison after a video appeared on Facebook of him riding a train without a face mask. ...

Father-of-two Benjamin Glynn, 39, failed to wear a mask while taking the train home from work in Singapore.

A fellow commuter secretly filmed him and put the clip on social media, prompting officers to arrest him hours later.

Glynn, from Helmsley, North Yorkshire, was charged with a public nuisance offence after spending 28 hours in a cell ...

Glynn's passport was confiscated, meaning he couldn't return to the UK as planned with his partner and two children - aged five and two.

He also lost a new job he was due to start in the UK and fears he could have to spend as much as 12 months on bail before his trial. ...

Glynn said: "I had no idea anyone had even been filming, but it turned out a video of me unmasked on the late train home from work surfaced online.

"The police obviously saw it and the next day they were at the door.

“I don’t believe there is any evidence that masks protect you from Covid-19.

“Normally I would just tell people I’m exempt and it had never posed any issues before." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/new...er-riding-train-without-face-covering-3277019