COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The IT company I work for published its financial results earlier today.
A healthy 7% increase in profits in 2020, which means they are in a position to take on many new staff.
All existing staff are to get a modest, but very welcome bonus of around £500.
Just goes to show that the new normal of working from home clearly can work for a typical IT business model. It makes for happy, productive workers, who save on commuting time and costs and it obviously saves the corporation a fair bit of money too.

A shame that it took a pandemic for people to realise this!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
UK Military High Command in quarantine!

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace and six senior military commanders are self-isolating after the head of the armed forces tested positive for Covid-19.

Mr Wallace and the heads of the Royal Navy, RAF and Strategic Command were contacted by the NHS Test and Trace app and told to stay at home for 10 days. They had come into contact with Chief of Defence Staff General Sir Nick Carter on Thursday. Military business will be conducted remotely.

Gen Carter hosted a meeting at the Defence Academy at Shrivenham, Oxfordshire, last week. It was attended by Mr Wallace, General Sir Mark Carleton-Smith, who is head of the army and Admiral Sir Tim Fraser, vice-chief of the defence staff, as well as First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Tony Radakin, Air Chief Marshal Sir Mike Wigston and General Sir Patrick Sanders, who is commander of Strategic Command.

Gen Carleton-Smith and Gen Carter's deputy spent the weekend in quarantine while they await the result of PCR tests after attending the meeting, but they maintained a greater distance from the armed forces chief, the Daily Telegraph reported.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57633381

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The IT company I work for published its financial results earlier today.
A healthy 7% increase in profits in 2020, which means they are in a position to take on many new staff.
All existing staff are to get a modest, but very welcome bonus of around £500.
Just goes to show that the new normal of working from home clearly can work for a typical IT business model. It makes for happy, productive workers, who save on commuting time and costs and it obviously saves the corporation a fair bit of money too.

What concerns me though with all the working from home is - it doesn't matter to a business if you are working from home from Oxford or from Shanghai, or Delhi.

So, If I was a business owner I could pay you 25 grand to work from home, or I could pay a very qualified, fluent English speaking person in Bangalore 10 grand to work from home.

Would seem an easy choice.

I genuinely worry that a lot of these folk who are happy, and productive, enjoying a more relaxed lifestyle won't be very relaxed for long.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich
Reaction score
What concerns me though with all the working from home is - it doesn't matter to a business if you are working from home from Oxford or from Shanghai, or Delhi.

So, If I was a business owner I could pay you 25 grand to work from home, or I could pay a very qualified, fluent English speaking person in Bangalore 10 grand to work from home.

Would seem an easy choice.

I genuinely worry that a lot of these folk who are happy, and productive, enjoying a more relaxed lifestyle won't be very relaxed for long.

This is my concern too, I think the Prime Minister/President of Singapore recently essentially told his citizens that they are in competition with foreign workers living in other countries.

This is a race to the bottom for almost everyone but the very wealthy across the world. I can see we people go gaga for conspiracy theories with stuff like this.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is my concern too, I think the Prime Minister/President of Singapore recently essentially told his citizens that they are in competition with foreign workers living in other countries.

I agree. And I'll tell you what - Asian workers will work a lot, lot harder for much, much less. We know this.

So, we shipped all our manufacturing out there. And, I believe, it's only a matter of time before we metaphorically ship our more professional and "skilled" jobs out there too.

I'd be very careful if you are working from home, in front of a computer, online all day. You're a very expensive commodity going into the future, who is probably less productive than others.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I agree. And I'll tell you what - Asian workers will work a lot, lot harder for much, much less. We know this.

So, we shipped all our manufacturing out there. And, I believe, it's only a matter of time before we metaphorically ship our more professional and "skilled" jobs out there too.

I'd be very careful if you are working from home, in front of a computer, online all day. You're a very expensive commodity going into the future, who is probably less productive than others.
One of the reasons why I kept going into the office during the lockdowns.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich
Reaction score

It's not just Asia, Eastern Europe is in (more or less) the same time zone and they will work harder and for less than a UK worker, though Asia will be cheaper. It's also internal within the UK: a £50k job in London might be done for £40k by someone in Bristol, and for maybe £30-35k in a smaller place and that person might be able to come into the office every so often and at relatively short notice.

Any laws passed to prevent this will be too little, too late and may be so poorly thought out or deliberately worded so they do more harm than good.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It's not just Asia, Eastern Europe is in (more or less) the same time zone and they will work harder and for less than a UK worker, though Asia will be cheaper. It's also internal within the UK: a £50k job in London might be done for £40k by someone in Bristol, and for maybe £30-35k in a smaller place and that person might be able to come into the office every so often and at relatively short notice.

Any laws passed to prevent this will be too little, too late and may be so poorly thought out or deliberately worded so they do more harm than good.

But is it fair to compare our workers with those from states with an industrial background of virtually no trade unions and negligible workers' rights?
This shouldn't become some sort of race to the bottom just because of productivity figures.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich
Reaction score
But is it fair to compare our workers with those from states with an industrial background of virtually no trade unions and negligible workers' rights?
This shouldn't become some sort of race to the bottom just because of productivity figures.

What on Earth does "fairness" have to do with profit?

Of course people, economies, cultures and countries shouldn't be damaged or even ruined so that shareholders can make pennies on the dollar but how many governments are going to do much to save the poorer many from the depredations of the wealthier few? How many governments are going to say no possibly tens or even hundreds of thousands of jobs poached from wealthier countries?

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Chris Whitty attacked.

Police are investigating video footage which appears to show England's chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, being accosted by two men in a park.

The video shows two men laughing and jeering as they grab hold of Prof Whitty, who struggles to free himself. The Met Police said it happened in St James's Park in London on Sunday and all those involved had been spoken to.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was "shocked at seeing the despicable harassment" of Prof Whitty. The PM tweeted: "I condemn the behaviour of these thugs. Our hard-working public servants should not have to face this kind of intimidation on our streets and we will not tolerate it."

Other MPs to criticise the incident included new Health Secretary Sajid Javid, who said it was "appalling and totally unacceptable". He added: "The CMO (chief medical officer) works tirelessly on behalf of the country... the men behaving in this disgraceful way should be ashamed."

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer described it as "disgusting behaviour", adding that the police were right to investigate "this harassment".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57648608

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Chris Whitty attacked.

He wasn't tho really was he, nor was he "headlocked" either as others have reported...he had a drunken nob and his mate do the clumsy, arm round neck and pull inward, and do the drunk "yuuur my fuggen bes mat, u fuggin wanka arghhh!" nonsense.

Dare say it wasn't very nice for Whitty. But these things happen.

Hopefully it didn't bring back too many school memories of being a geeky boffin getting his head flushed in the toilet.

:)

Sid

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
He wasn't tho really was he, nor was he "headlocked" either as others have reported...he had a drunken nob and his mate do the clumsy, arm round neck and pull inward, and do the drunk "yuuur my fuggen bes mat, u fuggin wanka arghhh!" nonsense.

Hopefully it didn't bring back too many school memories of being a geeky boffin getting his head flushed in the toilet.

He did look a little 'flushed' though!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

That counts as an assault.

Not a good thing/time when doctors/scientists are being attacked by slack-jawed Simpsonesque morons.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Battery really.

Is what it is. Nobs are gonna be nobs. Not the end of the world. He'll get over it I would think.

Yeah but they were likely coming from the anti-lockdown demo. Participants in that demo also Batteried/Assaulted people attending the TUC anti-austerity demo and the Trans Rights parade.

Those nobs are becoming emboldened.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I saw an item about the amout of people illegally crossing the channel in recent months, this got me thinking about all the empty cruise liners moored up around the coast due to the pandemic, i thought that instead of building more immigration centres for asylum seeker, maybe the government could hire some of these ships. If the persons asylum claim is granted, the person can easily be brought ashore, if their claim is rejected then the ship can easily sail them back to their country of departure.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A UK survey study indicates pets and comfort animals' relationships with their owners have generally improved owing to increased human time spent at home during lockdowns. Cats are more affectionate; dogs exhibited the most negative changes.
Cats Might Be More Affectionate Thanks to The Pandemic, New Survey Reveals

A new study suggests that the extra time being pampered by their humans during lockdowns has made many cats appear more affectionate. ...

Many of us know first-hand how valuable our pets have been during the weirdness and stress of the pandemic and associated lockdowns. Studies have backed this up, showing pets have provided stress relief and reduced loneliness, no matter what species they are.

"I have two rescue cats - one was very skittish, but she is much calmer now I am home every day," said one study participant.

A team led by researchers from the Universities of York and Lincoln in the UK surveyed 5,323 people with companion animals, including horses, reptiles, birds and fish, along with the usual suspects - cats and dogs - to see what effect the massive changes in human routines have had on them.

Over 65 percent of the participants reported changes in their companion animals' behavior during their first lockdown in 2020. Participants answered several sets of questions about their animals, their own mental health, and their relationships. They were also invited to leave further comments.

Overall, many owners reported improvements in their companion animals, but out of all the species, dogs displayed the most negative changes. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/lockdo...s-for-the-better-and-benefited-other-pets-too

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Yet…..

Pet owners are already regretting buying lockdown animals - just as the shelters predicted​

While being at home 24/7 and not having to commute to an office seemed the opportune moment to get that dog you’d always wanted, animal experts have long predicted that the enthusiasm would wane. Now a new survey of more than 2,000 people has found that one in four new owners has regrets about getting a lockdown pet. While shelters are already seeing an increase in the number of pets being abandoned or given up for adoption.

https://www.independent.co.uk/indep...ockdown-pet-regret-dog-pandemic-b1867057.html

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I think most working folk these days dont have time for pets.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Yeah but they were likely coming from the anti-lockdown demo. Participants in that demo also Batteried/Assaulted people attending the TUC anti-austerity demo and the Trans Rights parade.

Those nobs are becoming emboldened.

Yep, they were on the anti-vax march and I very much doubt they just wanted a selfie. Another Simpsonesque mob gathered at Professor Whitty's flat on Saturday.

Mr Hughes, a 24-year-old estate agent, told the newspaper he had lost his job following the incident.

"If I made [Prof Whitty] feel uncomfortable, which it does look like I did, then I am sorry to him for that," he said.

His friend Jonathan Chew, 24, said: "We just wanted a selfie."

Mr Chew told the Sun he had ADHD and autism, adding: "Sometimes things seem a good idea and really they're not."

Mr Hughes said the pair had been on an anti-vax march in London when they spotted Prof Whitty.

It was not the first time Prof Whitty has been filmed being confronted by a member of the public.

Earlier this month, a man in Oxford accused him of lying to the public about coronavirus, while in February a man accosted the chief medical officer outside Westminster.

And a group of people gathered outside what was apparently Prof Whitty's London flat on Saturday, chanting and shouting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57675176

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Covid mucks up the Tough Mudder.

A popular obstacle race in Midlothian has been cancelled the night before the event after the council withdrew its licence because of Covid restrictions.

About 5,000 people had been due to take part in Tough Mudder at Dalkeith Country Park over 3 and 4 July. Participants were contacted on Friday night, less than 15 hours before the event started, and told not to attend. Midlothian Council said "clarification" of Scottish government Covid guidance had led to the licence being revoked.

The area is still under level two Covid restrictions, with the second highest case rate in Scotland. On Saturday, the area registered 706.3 cases per 100,000 people.

The licence was granted on Wednesday - against the advice of the council's safety advisory group. On Friday, a letter arrived from the Scottish government's national clinical director Prof Jason Leitch, which made clear there was a cap of 500 people per day - not at a time - on the number of participants in an event under level two restrictions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-57703084

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Since Cuba’s main income is tourists trade, and covid has taken its toll on the country.

No tourists are coming to visit.

But Cuba tried to develop their own covid vaccine with so so success and did not join the WHO program.

The result are the citizens in Cuba are marching against the government because food and gas are running out.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Thought it might fit better here than in the Conspiracy Thread seeing as Fiscus was fired as a result of her actions.

On Tuesday, the former official in charge of vaccinations for the state of Tennessee claimed her recent firing was politically motivated and rooted in anti-vaccination conspiracy theories pushed by conservative legislators in her state.

During a CNN interview Tuesday morning, Michelle Fiscus, former medical director for vaccine-preventable diseases and immunization programs at the Tennessee Department of Health, said her state is under the control of lawmakers “who choose to buy in to anti-vaccine rhetoric and conspiracy theory instead of listening to actual science.”

“I was given a choice to resign or be terminated and I chose to be terminated because I’ve not done anything wrong except inform our physicians of where the guidelines were around vaccinating minors,” she added.

Fiscus was fired from her state position on Monday without official explanation, the Tennessean reported. In a statement to the outlet following her firing, Fiscus said she was “afraid” for her state and that her firing was related to her recent decision to inform health providers about Tennessee’s “mature minor” doctrine, which permits medical professionals to treat some minors above age 14 without their parents’ consent. ...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/vaccination-official-tennessee-covid-fired_n_60edd35be4b00ef87616672c

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In the U.S. it is my opinion that masks and vaccinations have been turned into political issues which is sad.

What ignorant people don’t know is the coronavirus doesn’t care what your political views, race, or wealth are.

Covid just kills.