COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
As Dr. Fiscus the story continues, she was sent a dog muzzle as a warning to stay silent on vaccinations for younger people.

Homeland Security is asking Amazon to release the shipping information on the muzzle to help this investigation.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The French way to beat the anti-vaxxers - to introduce new laws against them!
France was one of the most vaccine-hesitant countries in the world, but Macron has now made it law that all health-care workers must be vaccinated and that it will be mandatory to show a vaccine certificate or recent negative test before being admitted to any café, restaurant or other hospitality venue.
This has resulted in a substantial increase in vaccinations (but also in some rioting):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...or-vaccines-after-macron-tightens-covid-rules

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The Mass was said by Fr Giacomo Ballini, who told the crowd at the gathering that "no human power can take away the right to say Mass". Fr Ballini is a member of The Society of St Pius Resistance, a splinter group of the controversial SSPX which was founded in 1970 by a former bishop who clashed with the Vatican over reforms. Fr Ballini has been operating from a farmhouse in Drinagh, Co Cork.

More about SSPX Resistance; bizarrely someone who reported on this Anti-Semitic Sect is being charged with "inciting hatred".

Gardaí are to arrest a Cork activist next week on charges of “inciting hatred” against a Christian fundamentalist group operating in the county.

The group, which is part of a loose worldwide network called the Society of Saint Pius X Resistance (SSPX Resistance), was founded by an ex-Catholic bishop who recently gave a sermon in Cork linking Jewish people to the start of Covid-19 and calling them “master servants of the devil”.

SSPX Resistance has made a complaint to gardaí alleging incitement to hatred, harassment and trespass by Cork resident and campaigner Fiona O’Leary, who lives close to the church.

Ms O’Leary has written about the group on her blog and visited its compound to take pictures and question its leaders.

The Cork branch of SSPX Resistance came to some prominence recently when its leader, Giacomo Ballini, led a procession through Dublin to perform an exorcism of the Dáil, in an apparent breach of Covid-19 regulations.

Last year, SSPX Resistance founder Richard Williamson travelled to the Cork branch, which is based in a farmhouse in a remote part of the county, where he gave a sermon claiming, among other things, that Jewish people are manipulating the stock market in an effort to start a war. The Jewish Representative Council of Ireland referred the comments to the Garda after they were reported in the Sunday World newspaper.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cri...-ultra-conservative-religious-group-1.4622651

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A COVID-positive man disguised himself as a woman and used his wife's ID credentials and negative test results to fly between cities in Indonesia. :doh: :roll:
Man with coronavirus disguises as wife on Indonesian flight

An Indonesian man with the coronavirus has boarded a domestic flight disguised as his wife, wearing a niqab covering his face and carrying fake IDs and a negative PCR test result.

But the cover didn’t last long.

Police say a flight attendant aboard a Citilink plane traveling from Jakarta to Ternate in North Maluku province on Sunday noticed the man change the clothes in the lavatory.

“He bought the plane ticket with his wife’s name and brought the identity card, the PCR test result and the vaccination card with his wife’s name. All documents are under his wife’s name,” Ternate police chief Aditya Laksimada said after arresting the man upon landing. He was only identified by his initials.

Police took him for a COVID-19 test, which came back positive.

The man is currently self-isolating at home and police said the investigation will continue. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/lifestyl...el-indonesia-09876be471fbcf46e9ae3d60aacdce38

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
BBC breakfast news has cancelled regional bulletins due to covid 'pings'

"The BBC has taken the unusual decision to stop making some of its local news programmes for an extended period because of staff shortages blamed on the coronavirus self-isolation “pingdemic”.
From Monday, BBC One’s Breakfast programme will no longer have local news bulletins covering English regions, while further regional programmes might be at risk if staff need to self-isolate amid rising cases of Covid-19.
The broadcaster said it hoped to be able to restart morning local news bulletins from September."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...lletins-as-pingdemic-leads-to-staff-shortages

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
More about SSPX Resistance; bizarrely someone who reported on this Anti-Semitic Sect is being charged with "inciting hatred".

Gardaí are to arrest a Cork activist next week on charges of “inciting hatred” against a Christian fundamentalist group operating in the county.

The group, which is part of a loose worldwide network called the Society of Saint Pius X Resistance (SSPX Resistance), was founded by an ex-Catholic bishop who recently gave a sermon in Cork linking Jewish people to the start of Covid-19 and calling them “master servants of the devil”.

SSPX Resistance has made a complaint to gardaí alleging incitement to hatred, harassment and trespass by Cork resident and campaigner Fiona O’Leary, who lives close to the church.

Ms O’Leary has written about the group on her blog and visited its compound to take pictures and question its leaders.

The Cork branch of SSPX Resistance came to some prominence recently when its leader, Giacomo Ballini, led a procession through Dublin to perform an exorcism of the Dáil, in an apparent breach of Covid-19 regulations.

Last year, SSPX Resistance founder Richard Williamson travelled to the Cork branch, which is based in a farmhouse in a remote part of the county, where he gave a sermon claiming, among other things, that Jewish people are manipulating the stock market in an effort to start a war. The Jewish Representative Council of Ireland referred the comments to the Garda after they were reported in the Sunday World newspaper.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cri...-ultra-conservative-religious-group-1.4622651

Update.

A Cork activist has said that she will fight any incitement to hatred allegations made against her by a fundamentalist religious group founded by a Holocaust denier.

Mother-of-five Fiona O’Leary said that she "felt like she was in a Monty Python movie" as she was driven to Clonakilty Garda Station last week to be arrested on charges of incitement to hatred, trespass and harassment.

“I’m proud of my activism. I cannot believe that I now have to defend myself against Holocaust deniers," she said.

The complaints were made to gardaí by SSPX Resistance, a splinter group from the ultra-conservative, traditionalist Catholic Society of St Pius X (SSPX) which has set up a base in Reenascreena, near Ms O’Leary’s home in West Cork. The group’s founder, Richard Williamson, has been convicted of Holocaust denial by a German court. He visited the rural Cork premises last year where he gave an anti-semitic sermon linking the Jewish people to Covid-19, the Irish Times has reported.

Since the pandemic, the group also controversially performed an exorcism at the Dáil which appeared to be in breach of Covid-19 regulations.

Ms O'Leary said that she was “stressed” and “shocked” by her arrest. She alleges she was held and questioned in a small room at Clonakilty garda station for five hours in soaring temperatures. She was later released without charge but a file has been sent to the DPP.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40344509.html

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The stresses induced by COVID-related conspiracy theories and anti-vaxxer paranoia are tearing apart marriages.
A Vaccine Or This Marriage: Conspiracy Theories Are Tearing Couples Apart

HuffPost talked to five men and women whose marriages are crumbling or have already collapsed under the weight of viral anti-vaccine disinformation. Most said they did their best to tolerate their spouses’ embrace of conspiracy theories amid the pandemic — until it came to the vaccines, when those delusions suddenly posed a direct threat to their well-being or that of their children. All were pressured by their partners not to get immunized (though most managed to do so in secret anyway), and are identified by pseudonyms to protect their families’ privacy. Three, including Lucy, are now in the process of getting divorced. ...
FULL STORY: https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_60faf8b6e4b05ff8cfc8086b/amp

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Mother-of-five Fiona O’Leary said that she "felt like she was in a Monty Python movie" as she was driven to Clonakilty Garda Station last week to be arrested on charges of incitement to hatred, trespass and harassment.

If it had been a Monty Python movie, the charges would have been incitement to hatred, trespass and stoat-bothering.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Yep, they were on the anti-vax march and I very much doubt they just wanted a selfie. Another Simpsonesque mob gathered at Professor Whitty's flat on Saturday.

Mr Hughes, a 24-year-old estate agent, told the newspaper he had lost his job following the incident.

"If I made [Prof Whitty] feel uncomfortable, which it does look like I did, then I am sorry to him for that," he said.

His friend Jonathan Chew, 24, said: "We just wanted a selfie."

Mr Chew told the Sun he had ADHD and autism, adding: "Sometimes things seem a good idea and really they're not."

Mr Hughes said the pair had been on an anti-vax march in London when they spotted Prof Whitty.

It was not the first time Prof Whitty has been filmed being confronted by a member of the public.

Earlier this month, a man in Oxford accused him of lying to the public about coronavirus, while in February a man accosted the chief medical officer outside Westminster.

And a group of people gathered outside what was apparently Prof Whitty's London flat on Saturday, chanting and shouting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57675176

Chew might do well to ruminate on his not guilty plea.

A man has been sentenced for assaulting England's chief medical officer Chris Whitty in central London.

Lewis Hughes, 24, from Romford, east London, admitted one charge of assault by beating Prof Whitty in St James's Park on 27 June. He was given an eight-week custodial sentence, suspended for two years, and a fine of £100.

Jonathan Chew, 24, from Chelmsford, Essex pleaded not guilty to the same charge of assault by beating.

Footage, which was shared on social media, showed two men grabbing Prof Whitty, who struggled to free himself.

Prof Whitty described being put into a loose headlock by Hughes and had tried to break free from two men, the court heard.

Addressing Hughes, Judge Paul Goldspring said: "He (Prof Whitty) goes about his very difficult job without the expectation [of] yobs like you accosting him, assaulting him and then to compound it all, he is further humiliated by the video posted. I recognise that you did not post it on the internet".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-58031419

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A sad event.

A student fell to his death while hiding during a lockdown-defying party, an inquest has heard.

Tom Miller, 24, went to the event in Tennyson Street, in the Radford area of Nottingham, on 5 December 2020. Nottingham Coroner's Court heard that after midnight, officers called on the house to warn them about noise levels. Rumours of arrests caused some people to hide, with Mr Miller getting on the roof and then soon after falling and suffering fatal injuries.

The party took place while Nottingham was subject to tier three coronavirus restrictions, which banned different households mixing indoors. The court heard from PC Kate Gledhill of Nottinghamshire Police, who said the community protection officers gave a warning about noise and left.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-58070838

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A good taste Barbie doll.

Toy company Mattel has created a Barbie doll in honour of the AstraZeneca vaccine co-creator Professor Sarah Gilbert.

Professor Gilbert, who led development of the life-saving jab, said she initially found the gesture “very strange” but hoped it would inspire young girls to work in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (Stem).

“I am passionate about inspiring the next generation of girls into Stem careers and hope that children who see my Barbie will realise how vital careers in science are to help the world around us,” she said. “My wish is that my doll will show children careers they may not be aware of, like a vaccinologist.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40352171.html

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Things coming to a head in the Caribbean.

The prime minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines has been hospitalised after being injured at a protest against a proposed vaccine mandate.

Ralph Gonsalves was walking through a crowd outside parliament when he was reportedly hit in the head by a stone. Images show the prime minister bleeding as he was rushed away from the scene. The finance minister said he had been transferred to Barbados for an MRI scan on the advice of medical staff, Reuters news agency reports.

Protesters had gathered on Thursday to demonstrate against plans to require most frontline health workers to be vaccinated against Covid-19.
Stones and water bottles were thrown at the protest, according to reports.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-58110684

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
*Unavailable due to legal reasons - is the message it opened with 'kamalktk.'
Get five pounds (2.4kg roughly) of ground beef free with vaccination. Also you are entered into a draw to win free meat for a year.

"A COVID-19 vaccination clinic in Logan cosponsored by a Hyrum meatpacking plant is offering free ground beef to everyone who gets the shot.

“Every Covid-19 vaccine received will help keep our team members and our community safe and healthy,” stated Darren Olsen, JBS Hyrum plant manager in a media release."

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Get five pounds (2.4kg roughly) of ground beef free with vaccination. Also you are entered into a draw to win free meat for a year.

"A COVID-19 vaccination clinic in Logan cosponsored by a Hyrum meatpacking plant is offering free ground beef to everyone who gets the shot.

“Every Covid-19 vaccine received will help keep our team members and our community safe and healthy,” stated Darren Olsen, JBS Hyrum plant manager in a media release."
I bet that meatpacking plant has a Hyrum and fire 'em policy.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's not spreading in this NYC store...

nycshop.jpg

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
This could also go in the Silly Mistakes Thread.

Confused anti-vaccine protesters stormed what they thought was a major BBC building on Monday, apparently unaware the corporation largely moved out almost a decade ago.

Rather than target the BBC’s news operation, which they hold responsible for promoting Covid-19 vaccines, a handful of protesters gained access to Television Centre in west London, which is now predominantly rented by ITV to film its daytime shows such as Good Morning Britain and This Morning.

The circular building was vacated by the BBC in 2013 and has since been converted into flats and a private members’ club.

The BBC retained three studios on the site under its commercial for-profit Studioworks arm, which are largely rented to other broadcasters and provide the permanent base for many of ITV’s shows. However, the vast majority of London-based BBC staff and its news operation are based 8km away at the corporation’s Broadcasting House on Portland Place.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...c-hq-eight-years-after-it-moved-out-1.4643670

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I'd presume it's money carried in a bra or shoe, some odd folk about.
Even over here you would not BELIEVE how many people get a tenner out of their bra (mind you, women's clothes and lack of pockets, do NOT get me started...) or who lick their fingers to get a note out of their wallet and then hand it to you licky-side first.