COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Variations on this joke have been circulating on the French Quora and other forums.
Not particularly funny (hence I didn't post it on the humour thread), but it does, maybe, shed a little light on respective national psyches.
Any errors in the translation are entirely mine!

A doctor is preparing to administer the Covid vaccine to four reluctant patients - an Englishman, German, American and a Frenchman.

The Englishman says "I don't want the vaccine"
Doctor replies "Stiff upper lip old chap! As a true gentlemen, shouldn't you always do what's best for society?"
Englishman "Forgive me good doctor. You've convinced me! Now let's have that vaccination."

German "I don't want the vaccine".
Doctor "I order you to be vaccinated!"
German: (clicks heels and steps forward) "Jawohl Herr Doktorl! Vaccinate me."

American: "I don't want the vaccine."
Doctor: "But these other nationals (indicating the Englishman and German) have already been vaccinated before you."
American: "Godammit! How dare a Limey and Kraut get a vaccine ahead of me. I demand you vaccinate me this instant!"

Frenchman: "I don't want the vaccine."
Doctor: "Oh that's probably just as well, as you're not entitled to the vaccine anyway."
Frenchman: "Merde! Vaccinate me right now or I'll fire-bomb your car."

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Reaction score
1629282996219.png

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
American Airlines will not serve alcohol on their flights until January 2022.

The number of passenger fights on their planes have gotten out of hand, mostly over mask wearing.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Nando's have been forced to close 50 of their restaurants due to shortages of chicken that they are blaming on the 'pingdemic'

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-08-17...oses-50-stores-across-uk-due-to-supply-issues

https://www.delish.com/uk/food-news/a37346338/nandos-shut/

I'm just posting the link for those who might be interested in what the head of the British Poultry Council thought was the cause for the lack of chicken and surprise, surprise it wasn't COVID.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
And the police just let him away with it.

Christopher Keys, an anti-vaxxer from Alabama, stood in front of a Walmart in Missouri and, speaking to his livestream camera, threatened pharmacists who administered the Covid vaccine with execution (video below).

The misinformed gentleman, who called himself the "vaccine police," said, "We're outside of Walmart about to go in. We're going to put Walmart and the pharmacists on notice to let them know that they're in violation of the Nuremberg Code." He then said (8:30), "…if they give one more vaccine after today, after being put on notice, then they can be hung up, and they can be executed."

He then stormed toward Walmart's pharmacy and gleefully announced to the camera, "They just shut down." The pharmacists understandably wanted nothing to do with the bad actor, so they locked their doors and put a "No Pharmacist on Duty" sign on their door. Keys taunted the staff for about 15 minutes before the police finally arrived. ...

https://boingboing.net/2021/08/23/a...rt-with-execution-for-giving-covid-shots.html

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
And the police just let him away with it.

Christopher Keys, an anti-vaxxer from Alabama, stood in front of a Walmart in Missouri and, speaking to his livestream camera, threatened pharmacists who administered the Covid vaccine with execution (video below).

The misinformed gentleman, who called himself the "vaccine police," said, "We're outside of Walmart about to go in. We're going to put Walmart and the pharmacists on notice to let them know that they're in violation of the Nuremberg Code." He then said (8:30), "…if they give one more vaccine after today, after being put on notice, then they can be hung up, and they can be executed."

He then stormed toward Walmart's pharmacy and gleefully announced to the camera, "They just shut down." The pharmacists understandably wanted nothing to do with the bad actor, so they locked their doors and put a "No Pharmacist on Duty" sign on their door. Keys taunted the staff for about 15 minutes before the police finally arrived. ...

https://boingboing.net/2021/08/23/a...rt-with-execution-for-giving-covid-shots.html

Once the people waiting for their methadone get wind of this idiot closing down their pharmacy I'm sure they'll have a chat.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
An American gun control advocacy group claims the pandemic conditions have contributed to a dramatic rise in unintentional shootings by children.
High Gun Sales And More Time At Home Have Led To More Accidental Shootings By Kids

Accidental gunshot deaths by children handling a gun jumped 31% during the start of the COVID-19 pandemic compared to a year earlier, new data shows.

There were 98 deaths that resulted from unintentional shootings by children from March through December 2019 compared to 128 over that same period in 2020, research by the advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety shows.

And the trend continues to worsen during the pandemic ...

So far, in 2021 there have been at least 259 unintentional shootings by children, resulting in 104 deaths and 168 injuries nationally, according to the group's #NotAnAccident Index. Everytown is a U.S. nonprofit that advocates for gun control. ...

At that pace the organization projects these incidents in 2021 are set to surpass even the record reached in 2017. That year 383 cases of accidental shootings by kids occurred and at least 156 people were killed.

The organization says COVID-19 lockdowns, lack of child care, record gun sales in the U.S. during the pandemic, and a reported surge in first-time gun owners may be to blame. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.npr.org/2021/08/31/1032725392/guns-death-children

The Advocacy Group's #NotAnAccident Index: https://everytownresearch.org/maps/notanaccident/

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
An American gun control advocacy group claims the pandemic conditions have contributed to a dramatic rise in unintentional shootings by children.

FULL STORY: https://www.npr.org/2021/08/31/1032725392/guns-death-children

The Advocacy Group's #NotAnAccident Index: https://everytownresearch.org/maps/notanaccident/
This isn't surprising but it's still sad.

However, and I say this as a Brit who would never allow a firearm over the threshold, the home can be a dangerous place for children even without guns.
Most injuries that happen to children occur at home - falls, scalds, accidental poisonings, dog attacks and so on. So I'd expect numbers of other causes of injury and death at home apart from shootings also to be higher than normal.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not a thread about firearms and legislation. The point that is on-topic is the narrow intersection of Covid and weapons acquisition/accidental deaths.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
To get back to the thread, gun sales have risen sharply in the US during the epidemic. Since the majority of gun injuries occur in the home as a result of carelessness, it would make sense that the same curve should occur for accidental injuries especially to children.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This is not a thread about firearms and legislation. The point that is on-topic is the narrow intersection of Covid and weapons acquisition/accidental deaths.
Exactly ... :twothumbs:

The set of recent tangential posts addressing guns, gun ownership, and gun laws in general have been moved to:

U.S. Gun Laws, Massacres & Racial Violence
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/u-s-gun-laws-massacres-racial-violence.30779/

... which - as veteran members know - is a locked bin for posts on this troublesome subject which the staff has repeatedly indicated is off-limits.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Most injuries that happen to children occur at home - falls, scalds, accidental poisonings, dog attacks and so on. So I'd expect numbers of other causes of injury and death at home apart from shootings also to be higher than normal.
To get back to the thread, gun sales have risen sharply in the US during the epidemic. Since the majority of gun injuries occur in the home as a result of carelessness, it would make sense that the same curve should occur for accidental injuries especially to children.
The evidence is sketchy so far (because we're still in pandemic conditions) but tends to support your intuition that all home injuries should have increased.

For example, this 2020 survey study found an increase in all injuries and (accidental) ingestions ...

Gielen, A.C., Bachman, G., Badaki-Makun, O. et al. National survey of home injuries during the time of COVID-19: who is at risk?. Inj. Epidemiol. 7, 63 (2020).
https://doi.org/10.1186/s40621-020-00291-w
Conclusions
Among our representative sample, 26% reported having experienced an injury since the pandemic started. By comparison, in 2017, 14.3% of respondents to the NHIS survey reported an injury to someone in their household in the 3 months prior to the survey ... The time periods covered by these two surveys are comparable, given that our survey was fielded (i.e., mid to late June) about 3 months after states started issuing stay at home orders and people began working from home (i.e., mid to late March). Considering ingestions as well as injuries, we found that 28% of households experienced either and 13% experienced both. Falls were the most common cause of injury, which is consistent with other studies of home injuries ... Having children living in the home was significantly associated with a higher likelihood of households reporting an injury and/or ingestion, and having more adults in the home was not. Families in urban areas and with higher annual incomes were more likely to report an injury and/or ingestion.

We were surprised that there was no overall association between increased time spent at home and the report of injuries and/or ingestions. A more in-depth understanding of the affected individuals and their activities during the time spent at home is warranted, especially because we found that among the 73% of households that reported spending more time at home, 45% of those with children compared to 18% of those without children in the home reported having experienced an injury or ingestion since the pandemic started. ...
SOURCE: https://injepijournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40621-020-00291-w

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
The evidence is sketchy so far (because we're still in pandemic conditions) but tends to support your intuition that all home injuries should have increased.

For example, this 2020 survey study found an increase in all injuries and (accidental) ingestions ...

Gielen, A.C., Bachman, G., Badaki-Makun, O. et al. National survey of home injuries during the time of COVID-19: who is at risk?. Inj. Epidemiol. 7, 63 (2020).

SOURCE: https://injepijournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40621-020-00291-w
I would guess the amount of injuries sustained at school or work have fallen by a similar figure, so I'd guess the over all figures average out to a similar total, some people are just injury prone/clumsy no matter where they are.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I actually was reasoning that evidence shows consistently that most gun injuries, including fatal injuries, are home and carelessness related, therefore since gun purchases increased during the pandemic then these kinds of injuries would also increase. So an increase in gun injuries, which is I think how this discussion started, is mostly likely just the data following the existing trend and not related to people going postal at home because of the pandemic unless there is specific evidence to the contrary. If data is that sales are markedly up and gun injuries are not following, then there is a range of other possibilities.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
South Australia has begun a home-based quarantine trial which is tipped to expand to international arrivals.

Those in home-based quarantine will need to download an app, developed by the South Australian Government, to prove they are staying home while required to.

Those who are approved will have to download the South Australian Government home quarantine app, which uses geo-location and facial recognition software to track those in quarantine.

The app will contact people at random asking them to provide proof of their location within 15 minutes.

If a person cannot successfully verify their location or identity when requested, SA Health will notify SA Police who will conduct an in-person check on the person in quarantine.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08...stralias-home-quarantine-trial-work/100398878

Anybody worried yet? Anybody?

maximus otter

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
South Australia has begun a home-based quarantine trial which is tipped to expand to international arrivals.

Those in home-based quarantine will need to download an app, developed by the South Australian Government, to prove they are staying home while required to.

Those who are approved will have to download the South Australian Government home quarantine app, which uses geo-location and facial recognition software to track those in quarantine.

The app will contact people at random asking them to provide proof of their location within 15 minutes.

If a person cannot successfully verify their location or identity when requested, SA Health will notify SA Police who will conduct an in-person check on the person in quarantine.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08...stralias-home-quarantine-trial-work/100398878

maximus otter

Not worried if it's just used to for that purpose or even if it was extended to monitor those on parole or house arrest. I would be apprehensive regarding mission creep though.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

maximus otter
A 'house arrest' app. Interesting.

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

maximus otter
That sounds like an app that South Korea had in place by spring 2020 for all incoming travelers to the country for Covid.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Discussion a few minutes ago on BBC radio about whether the pandemic has put paid to the traditional handshake for good.

After cricket matches this year, the fist-bump has become the norm. This, whilst initially feeling a bit odd, is surely preferable to the awkward elbow-bump.

There's always the contactless, palm out wave and, amongst the great and the good, I see that the Hindu namaste greeting is gaining a hold:

namaste1.JPG

namaste2.JPG

So, are you a bumper, bower, waver or do you yearn for the return of the traditional handshake?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Discussion a few minutes ago on BBC radio about whether the pandemic has put paid to the traditional handshake for good.

After cricket matches this year, the fist-bump has become the norm. This, whilst initially feeling a bit odd, is surely preferable to the awkward elbow-bump.

There's always the contactless, palm out wave and, amongst the great and the good, I see that the Hindu namaste greeting is gaining a hold:

View attachment 44578

View attachment 44579

So, are you a bumper, bower, waver or do you yearn for the return of the traditional handshake?
I'm a waver.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

View attachment 44578

View attachment 44579

Interesting. I think in the UK the palms together may be more common because of the large number of inhabitants of Indian origin (yes I know who those two guys up to are.) Personally I lean toward the Vulcan salute, although an astounding number of people have no idea what I'm doing.