COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The demise of the handshake must be a bit of a bugger for freemasons*

hand.JPG

* other vaguely creepy secret societies are available.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich King
Reaction score
I must say, I'm genuinely impressed with the standard of public debate over state responses to Covid-19 in the U.S.

We should nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Unfortunately they probably have the same idea, only they want to blow up China/Russia/Narnia.

But hit us instead.

Either way, no great loss to the rest of the World.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the long-term effects of the pandemic conditions was loss of jobs during lockdowns. The even longer-term effect that's looming is the permanent loss of some such lost jobs to automation (e.g., AI and robots).
Do we need humans for that job? Automation booms after COVID

The pandemic didn’t just threaten Americans’ health when it slammed the U.S. in 2020 -- it may also have posed a long-term threat to many of their jobs. Faced with worker shortages and higher labor costs, companies are starting to automate service sector jobs that economists once considered safe, assuming that machines couldn’t easily provide the human contact they believed customers would demand.

Past experience suggests that such automation waves eventually create more jobs than they destroy, but that they also disproportionately wipe out less skilled jobs that many low-income workers depend on. Resulting growing pains for the U.S. economy could be severe. ...

Ideally, automation can redeploy workers into better and more interesting work, so long as they can get the appropriate technical training, says Johannes Moenius, an economist at the University of Redlands. But although that’s happening now, it’s not moving quickly enough, he says.

Worse, an entire class of service jobs created when manufacturing began to deploy more automation may now be at risk. “The robots escaped the manufacturing sector and went into the much larger service sector,” he says. “I regarded contact jobs as safe. I was completely taken by surprise.”

Improvements in robot technology allow machines to do many tasks that previously required people -- tossing pizza dough, transporting hospital linens, inspecting gauges, sorting goods. The pandemic accelerated their adoption. Robots, after all, can’t get sick or spread disease. Nor do they request time off to handle unexpected childcare emergencies.

Economists at the International Monetary Fund found that past pandemics had encouraged firms to invest in machines in ways that could boost productivity -- but also kill low-skill jobs. ...

The consequences could fall most heavily on the less-educated women who disproportionately occupy the low- and mid-wage jobs most exposed to automation -- and to viral infections. Those jobs include salesclerks, administrative assistants, cashiers and aides in hospitals and those who take care of the sick and elderly. ...

Employers seem eager to bring on the machines. A survey last year by the nonprofit World Economic Forum found that 43% of companies planned to reduce their workforce as a result of new technology. Since the second quarter of 2020, business investment in equipment has grown 26%, more than twice as fast as the overall economy. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/technolo...rus-pandemic-d935b29f631f1ae36e964d23881f77bd

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
One of my jobs at work is to monitor industrial relations news stories (e.g. strikes and disputes). The RMT issued a press release this morning about the razor blades that are being hidden in CV19 conspiracy and anti-vaxx/lockdown posters that are springing up. When I checked twitter they had an actual photo of a poster with the blade so it isn't an urban legend like I thought.

The RMT's concern is that this is causing a danger to their members because the transport system is being targeted:

https://twitter.com/RMTunion/status/1435863497959780355

RMT

@RMTunion

Rail, Tube and Bus union RMT calls for strongest possible action against anti-vax and #Covid_19 conspiracy theorists found lacing their posters with razor blades on rail and Tube https://bit.ly/3hfG9LK

8:11 AM · Sep 9, 2021·Twitter Web App

Also in the Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ned-of-razors-inside-covid-conspiracy-posters

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
One of my jobs at work is to monitor industrial relations news stories (e.g. strikes and disputes). The RMT issued a press release this morning about the razor blades that are being hidden in CV19 conspiracy and anti-vaxx/lockdown posters that are springing up. When I checked twitter they had an actual photo of a poster with the blade so it isn't an urban legend like I thought.

The RMT's concern is that this is causing a danger to their members because the transport system is being targeted:

https://twitter.com/RMTunion/status/1435863497959780355

Also in the Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ned-of-razors-inside-covid-conspiracy-posters
That is what I don't get, they claim the "go'mint" trying to kill us, then they set traps that could kill someone else. It seems like they think they are at war. Absolutely assinine. I hope who ever is doing that gets caught and prosecuted.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Mr. Zarka from Israel Health Ministry is warning his countrymen that a fourth vaccination will be needed in the near future.

Israel is now trying to get people to take their third shot.

I didn't find it terribly inconvenient to have either of my two shots—and I experienced no effects whatsover. A sizeable majority has suffered little more than this through the experience.

If you asked me whether I wanted to have yearly/bi-yearly boosters, I'd say no, but if you told me that it would undoubtedly boost my resilence to the various strains of this virus (and had the evidence to hand should I request it), I'd say 'Yes, please'.

Unless one has a medical reason not to have these vaccines, I simply don't see what the fuss is about. The lockdowns: now there's another matter—highly damaging on a personal, economic and societal level. The shots and boosters are the antidote to more lockdowns, because the spread will be made less deadly and more affordable.

Inconvenience vs. potentially serious illness or death should not be a great dilemma for anyone bar the obstinant and hard-of-thought.

Yes, in many jurisdictions you have a right to refuse vaccinations (and much as it pains me to see fellow humans shooting themselves and their relatives in the face, I will defend that right), but this is likely to be an exceptionally poor option, and likely one that has little to do with medical science.

The fact that the U.S. (and to a lesser extent the U.K.) is home to so many people who wish to do this is a damning indictment of public discourse, politics, and the various strands of culture that feed them from upstream.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was looking at going to Italy but they request the Green Pass for pretty much everything. Even just taking a train or sitting inside at a restaurant.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Unvaccinated TikTokers Are Calling Themselves ‘Purebloods’​

yes, Harry Potter style.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kvywd/unvaccinated-tiktok-purebloods-covid

"The term “pureblood” doesn’t exactly have the best connotations. But now unvaccinated people on TikTok are, er, trying to reclaim the term as a way to tout their “superiority” over their jabbed fellow citizens."

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I didn't find it terribly inconvenient to have either of my two shots—and I experienced no effects whatsover. A sizeable majority has suffered little more than this through the experience.

If you asked me whether I wanted to have yearly/bi-yearly boosters, I'd say no, but if you told me that it would undoubtedly boost my resilence to the various strains of this virus (and had the evidence to hand should I request it), I'd say 'Yes, please'.

Unless one has a medical reason not to have these vaccines, I simply don't see what the fuss is about. The lockdowns: now there's another matter—highly damaging on a personal, economic and societal level. The shots and boosters are the antidote to more lockdowns, because the spread will be made less deadly and more affordable.

Inconvenience vs. potentially serious illness or death should not be a great dilemma for anyone bar the obstinant and hard-of-thought.

Yes, in many jurisdictions you have a right to refuse vaccinations (and much as it pains me to see fellow humans shooting themselves and their relatives in the face, I will defend that right), but this is likely to be an exceptionally poor option, and likely one that has little to do with medical science.

The fact that the U.S. (and to a lesser extent the U.K.) is home to so many people who wish to do this is a damning indictment of public discourse, politics, and the various strands of culture that feed them from upstream.
if the politicians had deferred to the scientists instead of contradicting them we would have a lot fewer people resistant to taking the vaccine. It would just be the usual anti-vaxxers that have been around for decades.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Who had a near perfect rollout programme? No vaccine was available in my state until April of 2021.

The Republic of South Korea--the name is on the graph.

To be clear, it is the administrative system that is highly efficient, but regular interruptions in the vaccine supply have meant periods of near inactivity that have drawn out the process.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Taxi cooperative staffers and drivers in Thailand have been massively idled by the pandemic. They're parked most of their taxis and spend their time tending gardens planted on the cars' roofs. It's both a way to pass the time and a high-visibility protest about their plight.
Idled Thai taxis go green with mini-gardens on car roofs

Taxi fleets in Thailand are giving new meaning to the term “rooftop garden,” as they utilize the roofs of cabs idled by the coronavirus crisis to serve as small vegetable plots.

Workers from two taxi cooperatives assembled the miniature gardens this week using black plastic garbage bags stretched across bamboo frames. On top, they added soil in which a variety of crops, including tomatoes, cucumbers and string beans, were planted.

The result looks more like an eye-grabbing art installation than a car park, and that’s partly the point: to draw attention to the plight of taxi drivers and operators who have been badly hit by coronavirus lockdown measures. ...

The taxi-top gardens don’t offer an alternative revenue stream. The cooperatives staff, who were asked to take salary cuts, are now taking turns tending the newly-made gardens.

“The vegetable garden is both an act of protest and a way to feed my staff during this tough time,” ... “Thailand went through political turmoil for many years, and a great flood in 2011, but business was never this terrible.”
FULL STORY (With Multiple Photos): https://apnews.com/article/lifestyl...nd-gardening-94e6376a9b0ed616ba3b203f8c503a46

Last edited:

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The Republic of South Korea--the name is on the graph.

To be clear, it is the administrative system that is highly efficient, but regular interruptions in the vaccine supply have meant periods of near inactivity that have drawn out the process.
ok. I talked to an American who lives in Korea and he explained how they did things and it is much more efficient than the U.S.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score