COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was recently in the Tower of Pisa and they did something I hadn't tried before.
We were all given a small bag to hang around our neck, which contained a device with a green light. If we went too close to another person, the device lit orange instead and vibrated.
I assume if I had touched someone, it would have exploded and killed me.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich-King of Angmar
Reaction score
I was recently in the Tower of Pisa and they did something I hadn't tried before.
We were all given a small bag to hang around our neck, which contained a device with a green light. If we went too close to another person, the device lit orange instead and vibrated.
I assume if I had touched someone, it would have exploded and killed me.

I thought you were going to say they were sick bags for those with vertigo.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Just came across this—forgive me if it's been posted before, like maybe around April 2020—it just sounds so familiar:

"On a Sunday in July 1832, a fearful and somber crowd of New Yorkers gathered in City Hall Park for more bad news. The epidemic of cholera, cause unknown and prognosis dire, had reached its peak. . . .
"An assistant to the painter Asher B. Durand described the scene near the center of the outbreak. 'There is no business doing here if I except that done by Cholera, Doctors, Undertakers, Coffinmakers, &c,' he wrote. 'Our bustling city now wears a most gloomy & desolate aspect one may take a walk up & down Broadway & scarce meet a soul.' "

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/science/15chol.html

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A rather disturbing incident.

Anti-vaccine residents in a village in rural Guatemala have attacked nurses who were trying to administer Covid-19 jabs, holding them for seven hours, officials say.

About 500 people blocked a road and vandalised the team's cars in Maguilá, in the northern Alta Verapaz province. The 11 workers were released after police negotiated with the villagers, who destroyed about 50 vaccine doses.

Authorities say online disinformation is feeding resistance to the vaccines.

The nurses were "verbally and physically attacked" by the residents, who let the air out of the workers' tires and destroyed the cool boxes storing the doses, the health ministry said.

"We were very scared because we had never been through something like this. We were just doing our duty," a nurse was quoted by the statement as saying. "We tried to explain a number of times that vaccination is voluntary and that we did not want to force anyone, yet they didn't let us [work]."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-58801096

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Be careful with the hand sanitiser ...
Indeed! ...

This 3-year-old boy's eye was significantly damaged when a hands-free pedal-activated dispenser sprayed sanitiser into it. The long-term effect(s) may not be known until he's years older.
Mother's warning after hand sanitiser leaves son with muscle damage and vision impairment

The surface of a three-year-old boy's eye was "completely burnt off" after he received chemical burns while using a hand sanitiser foot pedal dispenser at a New Zealand restaurant.

Nearly two months after the incident, where the sanitiser sprayed into his left eye causing corneal epithelial damage, James Lapthorn's vision has now improved after being "totally impaired" in the one eye, his mother, Liz Partridge said.

The family's doctor said his eye has healed to about 90 per cent, but until he is older and able to do more sophisticated eye testing, it's unknown how badly his long-sighted vision has been affected. ...

Ms Partridge is also warning other parents and businesses about the potential safety risk of the dispensers, which are at eye line for young children ...
FULL STORY (With Photos): https://www.9news.com.au/health/new...staurant/5d17cc56-9776-49b7-a2cc-10132d8a8b8b

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
One of my jobs at work is to monitor industrial relations news stories (e.g. strikes and disputes). The RMT issued a press release this morning about the razor blades that are being hidden in CV19 conspiracy and anti-vaxx/lockdown posters that are springing up. When I checked twitter they had an actual photo of a poster with the blade so it isn't an urban legend like I thought.

The RMT's concern is that this is causing a danger to their members because the transport system is being targeted:

https://twitter.com/RMTunion/status/1435863497959780355

Also in the Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ned-of-razors-inside-covid-conspiracy-posters

Now razor blades under swastika stickers.

Razor blades have been found hidden underneath swastika symbols stuck on a bus shelter near a school, police say.

Kent Police warned people not to remove the "hate-inspired stickers" which were found in Dunton Green. Insp Matt Atkinson called it "disturbing behaviour" and said it was "sheer luck that a child was not harmed". The razor blades were found beneath the stickers on 22 September.

Mr Atkinson added: "This is disturbing behaviour and while I do not want to cause people to panic, I do want to raise awareness of this issue.
Publicly promoting offensive, hate-filled notices is not acceptable in itself, but adding razor blades to potentially seriously harm somebody is despicable. These stickers were placed inside a bus shelter near a school and it is only sheer luck that a child was not harmed."

He urged anybody with information to contact police, adding: "Do not attempt to remove them."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-58814069

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Much of tourism-dependent Bali has become a virtual ghost town environment because of the pandemic.
Bali without tourists: once-bustling hotspots now eerie and overgrown – a photo essay

... International flights to and from Bali have been closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic since April 2020, and the island has been hit hard. Tourism usually accounts for 60% of Bali’s economy, and the border closure has cost thousands of hospitality workers their jobs. ...
SOURCE: https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...otspots-now-eerie-and-overgrown-a-photo-essay

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Now razor blades under swastika stickers.

Razor blades have been found hidden underneath swastika symbols stuck on a bus shelter near a school, police say.

Kent Police warned people not to remove the "hate-inspired stickers" which were found in Dunton Green. Insp Matt Atkinson called it "disturbing behaviour" and said it was "sheer luck that a child was not harmed". The razor blades were found beneath the stickers on 22 September.

Mr Atkinson added: "This is disturbing behaviour and while I do not want to cause people to panic, I do want to raise awareness of this issue.
Publicly promoting offensive, hate-filled notices is not acceptable in itself, but adding razor blades to potentially seriously harm somebody is despicable. These stickers were placed inside a bus shelter near a school and it is only sheer luck that a child was not harmed."

He urged anybody with information to contact police, adding: "Do not attempt to remove them."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-58814069

That was long thought to be an urban legend, along with razor blades and needles in food - until you read about someone suffering a nasty injury as a result.

I can recall rumours from back in my student days of such tactics being used by many extreme political groups such as the National Front.
In at least one case though, it was a tactic employed by an agent provocateur; during the anti-apartheid protests, a left-wing student at Brunel University "discovered" a pro-South African poster with concealed blades, but it turned out that he had planted it himself to discredit political opponents.

Whether this happens frequently or not, I would be reluctant to risk my fingers pulling down a poster - unless I were holding a wallpaper stripper or similar implement!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
That was long thought to be an urban legend, along with razor blades and needles in food - until you read about someone suffering a nasty injury as a result.

I can recall rumours from back in my student days of such tactics being used by many extreme political groups such as the National Front.
In at least one case though, it was a tactic employed by an agent provocateur; during the anti-apartheid protests, a left-wing student at Brunel University "discovered" a pro-South African poster with concealed blades, but it turned out that he had planted it himself to discredit political opponents.

Whether this happens frequently or not, I would be reluctant to risk my fingers pulling down a poster - unless I were holding a wallpaper stripper or similar implement!

Better/safer to put another sticker over it or deface the poster with a marker!

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, the perils of working from home ... This Manchester sex worker shifted her daily work from a brothel workplace to her home. Business was apparently good, but neighbors' reactions were bad. She's now been evicted.
‘Loud’ prostitute kicked out of public housing for WFH during pandemic

A woman who took her professional sex work home during the coronavirus pandemic reportedly has been removed from UK public housing amid complaints from neighbors over her allegedly “loud” operations. ...

Her booming business supposedly caused disruptive noise at all hours.

Constraints due to COVID-19 had taken the small business owner’s work from an established brothel in Manchester’s city center back to her suburban home during a period of government-mandated restrictions ...

Police were compelled to intervene after a vigilant neighbor — who evidently spent a lot of time in her garden outside the courtesan’s apartment — provided a log of Parry’s appointments, including details of “three working girls” who arrived at her home to provide additional support. ...
FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2021/10/13/loud-prostitute-kicked-out-of-public-housing-for-pandemic-wfh/

Ogdred Weary

The Lich-King of Angmar
Reaction score
Oh, the perils of working from home ... This Manchester sex worker shifted her daily work from a brothel workplace to her home. Business was apparently good, but neighbors' reactions were bad. She's now been evicted.

FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2021/10/13/loud-prostitute-kicked-out-of-public-housing-for-pandemic-wfh/

I think it is disgusting that this hardworking lady has been treated in this manner, she should write into that Noel Edmund's show where he gets cross about people getting parking tickets and whatnot.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
According to the Officer Down Memorial Page (ODMP) non-profit site COVID has been the #1 cause of law enforcement officers' deaths in both 2020 and 2021 to date.

Covid has killed more police than gunfire since pandemic began
Covid-19 has been the leading cause of death for US police officers in the last two years, according to Officer Down Memorial Page.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/10/16/police-covid-19-deaths-vaccine-young-pkg-ndwknd-vpx.cnn

COVID is the #1 killer of LEOs in 2020 and 2021. Getting vaccinated is just as important as wearing your vest and your seatbelt. Don't wait any longer, please consult your doctor to see if vaccination is right for you.
https://www.odmp.org

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Santa is returning to Macy's this year, though with COVID-related changes to the classic kids' visit protocols.
Santa Is Back At Macy’s, But By Appointment Only

The good news: Santa Claus will return to Macy’s this year after skipping last holiday season due to COVID-19 restrictions. The bad news: Children may meet with Santa by appointment only.

Macy's announced it is bringing back Santa at its New York, San Francisco and Chicago locations. However, visitors must book appointments to meet with Santa in order to allow for better social distancing protocols.

The visits are available for free throughout the holiday season. According to the Macy’s website, additional safety measures include “face coverings for staff, increased cleaning procedures for all high-touch surfaces,” and “a reimagined Santa experience to allow for safer visits.”

There will also be a virtual experience for those who cannot make it to any of the locations. Macy’s Santaland at Home virtual experience will allow online access from Nov. 26 through Christmas Eve. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.ibtimes.com/santa-back-macys-appointment-only-3319725

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Megadeth have cancelled their tour of Canada because they will not allow people who are not vaccinated in.Dave Mustaine is anti Vax he's gone off the deep end.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was dealing with a travel agency during the pandemic, which of course had to cancel pretty much all of their trips. That meant I had to take a lot of calls from customers whose trips had been cancelled, and where repayment would take a lot of time. 99% were understanding about it, even if they had to wait months for their repayment. It gave you a bit more faith in humanity.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
It is interesting that there was concern from some areas that many in the military and the police were holding extreme beliefs such as QAnon, etc. So in a way they are removing themselves and letting the more balanced thinkers in the country sleep a bit easier.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Health officials in the UK want covid plan “ B “ in place.

What is plan “ B “ ?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Covid raises some spirits.

Irish paranormal investigators say COVID-19 has caused a rift in the spirit world​

The Irish newspaper The Independent recently spoke with two separate ghost hunting groups — Irish Paranormal Investigations and the similarly-named-but-apparently-different-because-they're-from-Galway Paranormal Supernatural Investigations Ireland — about their business during this spooky season. As it turns out, the COVID-19 pandemic has actually been a boon for haunted happenings:

Reports of increased activity had included a surging number of contacts from the public about unexplained occurrences in people's homes, not just known haunted houses and castles.
It is believed the traumatic impact on society of the world's worst pandemic since the 1918 Spanish Flu has somehow heightened contacts between the living and spirit worlds.
Ms Anna Massey [an official from Irish Paranormal Investigations] said such 'step-over' activity between the human and spirit worlds was common in times of societal trauma such as wars and pandemics.
"From our perspective as a group we have been getting a lot more contact from people – especially in their private houses," she said.
"It is twofold – more people are more aware of what is going on around them now and noticing these step-overs from the spirit realm."

https://boingboing.net/2021/10/31/i...19-has-caused-a-rift-in-the-spirit-world.html

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

What does your star sign say about your covid vaccination status? One Utah county crunched the numbers.​

https://www.yahoo.com/now/does-star-sign-covid-vaccination-173238045.html

The results.

If that's from genuine figures and a large database I'm very surprised; I'd expect some disparity but not a difference from 46 to 70%. Would be interesting to see if there are disparities - similar or otherwise - elsewhere.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
If that's from genuine figures and a large database I'm very surprised; I'd expect some disparity but not a difference from 46 to 70%. Would be interesting to see if there are disparities - similar or otherwise - elsewhere.
The image in the tweet does provide the data sources. The county cited has an estimated 1.6 million people and the county size estimate was used. The vaccination numbers are from their state health department. And the zodiac sign information from a university study (by a reputable university) and would just be birthdate information. Weird result, but the only obvious issue I can see is the state immunization records might not be complete and are probably inaccessible for the layperson to check.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich-King of Angmar
Reaction score
Megadeth have cancelled their tour of Canada because they will not allow people who are not vaccinated in.Dave Mustaine is anti Vax he's gone off the deep end.

Megadave was born at the deep end and has been descending ever since.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich-King of Angmar
Reaction score

You might find similar random anomalies if you looked at people's heights, favourite colours, first pet, shoe size etc

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Reaction score

Anti-Mask Couple Busted After Showing Cops Their Video Of Violent Confrontation At Bakery​

Mary Papenfuss
Sat, November 6, 2021, 12:34 AM·2 min read

An Oregon couple who complained their rights were violated when they were told to wear masks in a bakery were arrested after showing police their video of the violent confrontation at the store, officials said.
Portland-area couple Ricki Collin, 34, and Amy Hall, 45, were charged with third-degree assault following their arrest in downtown Eugene on Wednesday, according to police.
The video shows a man and a woman walking into the Crumb Together bakery. (The video, filmed by the man, can be seen above and below, and features NSFW language.) In the store, a person ― identified in some news reports as the store’s owner ― asks the couple to leave because they’re not wearing masks. They refuse, and a verbal confrontation follows. The woman can be seen shoving the owner, who then gets a baseball bat from behind the counter and again asks the couple to leave.

https://news.yahoo.com/anti-mask-couple-busted-showing-233430859.html