COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
A tale of two movie masks...
Bane Mask Business Booms Amid Pandemic

Bane masks have apparently become a hot commodity amid the coronavirus pandemic and subsequent requirements enacted by state and local governments, such as in Los Angeles, where residents are now required to wear a mask when going outside for any task.

Plastic adult Bane masks (not approved pandemic wear by medical officials) are sold out on a number of costume sites, including Costume.com, BuyCostumes.com and HalloweenCostumes.com. There are still plastic masks available on Amazon. The U.S. military (having some fun) even noted that Bane masks were not an acceptable face covering during the pandemic.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bane-mask-business-booms-pandemic-1295168

Horror Makeup Icon Tom Savini Is Selling Jason Voorhees Facemasks

Horror makeup artist Tom Savini, who worked on the original Friday the 13th film, is crafting protective facemasks based on Vorhees' hockey headwear. Savini created the masks in conjunction with fellow special effects/makeup artist Jason Baker, who worked on The Dark Knight Rises.

Several masks have started to arrive at their destinations, with fans tweeting pictures of themselves wearing them. Baker and Savini's initiative not only helps others practice proper health guidelines, but it's also a great way for fans to represent their love of the classic horror series.
https://www.cbr.com/tom-savini-friday-13-jason-voorhees-facemasks/

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
The Pandemic Caused an 'Extreme' 17% Drop of Daily Global Carbon Emissions in April

Source: sciencealert.com
Date: 20 May, 2020

An environmental silver lining is emerging amid the coronavirus pandemic: Many people have stopped flying and aren't driving to work, leading to a drastic drop in carbon emissions.

A study published Tuesday in the journal Nature Climate Change reveals that global carbon emissions per day in April were 17 percent lower than the average daily emissions in 2019.

The results showed that average daily emissions decreased by 18.7 million metric tons of carbon relative to last year. That's an emissions level comparable to the year 2006.

"We'll see global carbon emissions drop at least 4 percent this year and possibly 7 percent or 8 percent," Robert Jackson, a co-author of the new study and chair of the Global Carbon Project, predicted for 2020 as a whole.

"Either way, it will be the biggest one-year drop since WWII, and possibly ever."

[...]

https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-...bon-emissions-to-17-below-last-year-s-average
Sadly it seems people are back on the roads taking there motors for a bit of site seeing etc

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Anyone tried to use their local Recycling Centre (aka the dump or the tip) recently?

Thought my lunch hour would suffice today, so packed up the car with two months' worth of cardboard, kaput devices and several bags of general household rubbish and drove the 2 miles to my local tip.

The queue to get in must have been close to half a mile. I waited 20 minutes, but in that time had only moved one car's length. I estimated I would need to budget at least 3 hours to reach the end of the queue. Around 20 cars in front of me, someone was making a day of it and had got some folding chairs out of his car and was enjoying an impromptu picnic with someone. I gave up at that point and drove to the dump in the next town - only to see an even longer queue.
If I do try again at the weekend, I will ensure I have plenty of water with me and perhaps a snack or two, as waiting maybe half a working day in a queue in today's 29C heat, is surely not a good idea!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
...packed up the car with two months' worth of cardboard, kaput devices and several bags of general household rubbish...
Gift-wrap it all in some of the cardboard boxes, then leave it in the car with a window open on your local dodgy estate while you nip off for a coffee.

maximus otter

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Gift-wrap it all in some of the cardboard boxes, then leave it in the car with a window open on your local dodgy estate while you nip off for a coffee.

maximus otter
A popular jokemethod is leave it outside with a sign saying "5 quid ONO". Ascribe a value to something and someone will try to nick it.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Sadly it seems people are back on the roads taking there motors for a bit of site seeing etc
I am genuinely dreading a return to, 'normality'.

There is an extremely busy main road, I often have to cross. At peak times, it could take five minutes before a safe gap between both lanes of traffic.

The past few weeks have been absolute bliss - hardly a car in sight.

I'm surely not alone in this.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The queue to get in must have been close to half a mile... I gave up at that point and drove to the dump in the next town - only to see an even longer queue.

...waiting maybe half a working day in a queue in today's 29C heat, is surely not a good idea!
One thing I can't bear, is being stuck in a car when it's roasting outside. This sounds like my kinda nightmare...!

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Oh.

As for recycling I turned my father loose with some bags in the hoppers next to the supermarket.

I think he got it in the right container.

But, no queue!

(At least not for him...)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I stopped off at Tesco after work and walked over to the entrance... only to see a long queue!
I went back to the car. I'm going to see what it's like tomorrow.
I guess this is a consequence of people returning to work. They're doing the same as me, shopping after work.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
An unhappy Eid.

Three people have been killed and at least eight others hurt when they were trampled during a handout of cash in Sri Lanka's capital, Colombo.

A businessman had started handing out the money to those suffering difficulties in the Covid-19 outbreak, and hundreds had gathered.

Police said they were not informed in advance about the distribution of cash and it was unauthorised.

Six people involved with the relief distribution have been arrested.

The incident took place at the businessman's warehouse in the Colombo suburb of Maligawatte.

The handout was reportedly for the Eid festival season, marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52762000

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
.. I'll get to the 'but' part .. I'm a HUGE Tom Savini fan .. I own both of his F/X tutorial books, studiously copied his techniques, used them in amateur horror films .. has mask would give me a smile but most people walking around in public at the moment don't really want to be thinking about horror films and that imagery right now because not everyone is a horror film fan .. so those people wouldn't get the joke.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
The junior school on our street has refused to reopen yet .. not enough staff and not enough room for realistic social distancing .. full respect to them for not being bullied.
The govt are going to have a lot of egg on their faces over this: schools, unions and local authorities are kicking off, I'm sure plenty of parents too. Not to mention the regional assemblies going their own ways. I'm still dumbfounded that they choose to send the youngest back first.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
The youngest are the smallest so including the '2 metre' rule means you can fit more of them into a given space.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
... so the parents can get back to work maybe is their thought process on this decision? .. so a calculated risk ..
That would only make sense if you sent all kids back though, so parents whose children a year one, year six or reception can go to work but not those with one or more children in year 2-5?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
That would only make sense if you sent all kids back though, so parents whose children a year one, year six or reception can go to work but not those with one or more children in year 2-5?
This virus isn't fussy. Keep schools closed until we're winning.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Exactly. You can't send a 5 year old to school on their own! So you have to take your other children with you. Staggered start times? Even worse. Drop off the 5 year old and hang around for an hour for your 8 year old to start.
Unworkable.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
This virus isn't fussy. Keep schools closed until we're winning.
I partially agree but we may not "win", ever. I've always been an optimist though.

I think reopening prior to September is a mistake and sending the youngest first is insane, even if they are overwhelmingly fine some are going to be ill or even die. They will also make excellent little vectors.

Children with medical complications may not be going back to school for years, perhaps ever.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Time to end that dick measuring contest as it leaves a load of white elephants behind.
lt didn’t leave behind approximately £9,000,000,000 in 2012, money which would come in very handy for sensible purposes about now.

maximus otter

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
At some point you have to ask - have we gone collectively insane? If we do not get rid of the lockdown immediately we will destroy our children's future (my grandchildren) our NHS and pretty much everything else .

And the absurdity of imposing a quarantine now - three months too late - on incomers suggests that we are being run by maniacs. Are they actually trying to infect as many people as possible and destroy any industries that might survive?

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
At some point you have to ask - have we gone collectively insane? If we do not get rid of the lockdown immediately we will destroy our children's future (my grandchildren) our NHS and pretty much everything else .

And the absurdity of imposing a quarantine now - three months too late - on incomers suggests that we are being run by maniacs. Are they actually trying to infect as many people as possible and destroy any industries that might survive?
Exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The flight arrival 14 day quarantine to the UK seems bizarre at this stage of the pandemic.
Countries with a strong incoming tourist sector/business travellers sector to their economy but who have managed low rates of infection have all used the flight arrival quarantine as part of their tactics from much earlier in the pandemic's outbreak (Jamaica, New Zealand, Taiwan, Israel, to name but a few)

From The Guardian:

"There has been mounting scrutiny of UK border controls in the run-up to the crisis. It emerged that 18.1m people arrived in the UK by air between 1 January and 23 March and only 273 were formally quarantined.
Until 13 March the government advised incoming passengers from specific hotspot countries, including Italy, Iran and parts of China, to self-isolate, but this was dropped – “inexplicably”, according to Yvette Cooper, the chair of the home affairs select committee."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...uarantine-plan-makes-no-sense-uk-adviser-says