COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Have we mentioned time? This thread is too massive to catch up on.

Time feels weird. Last week seemed to go in the blink of an eye. But I still feel like we are still in March. I think we were warned it would feel a bit weird.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
How can you tell from orbit that lockdowns are easing? Easy - the atmospheric pollution increases again ...
NO2 Levels Rebound in China – Pollution Seen From Space Clear Sign Major Lockdowns Over

In early February 2020, scientists using NASA and European satellites detected a significant reduction in a key air pollutant over China after the country shut down transportation and much of its economy. Three months later, with most coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdowns ending in China and economic activity resuming, the levels of nitrogen dioxide over the country have returned to near normal for this time of year. Scientists expected this rebound. ...
FULL STORY: https://scitechdaily.com/no2-levels...n-from-space-clear-sign-major-lockdowns-over/

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
I'll try again to express my concern. The rate at which jobs, revenue and mental health (etc. etc.) are being undermined is disastrous. People - not me - have characterised this as a 'war on Covid' . Well, in war there are casualties, both in the front line (in this case hospitals and care homes) and on the Home Front. What we do in a war, though, is try to keep everything working as best we can, otherwise we lose.

The way this has been handled (by most countries) is going to create staggering levels of poverty and indeed deaths. They won't be caused in the main by Covid but by our reaction to it.

It has also created terrifying precedents. Do we really and truly want a ruling system by which we can be ordered to not see family members? That can force people to be buried unmourned? That can prevent us visiting terminally ill friends?

I'm sorry to be a Jonah, but as far as I can see our troubles are only just starting.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'll try again to express my concern. The rate at which jobs, revenue and mental health (etc. etc.) are being undermined is disastrous. People - not me - have characterised this as a 'war on Covid' . Well, in war there are casualties, both in the front line (in this case hospitals and care homes) and on the Home Front. What we do in a war, though, is try to keep everything working as best we can, otherwise we lose.

The way this has been handled (by most countries) is going to create staggering levels of poverty and indeed deaths. They won't be caused in the main by Covid but by our reaction to it.

It has also created terrifying precedents. Do we really and truly want a ruling system by which we can be ordered to not see family members? That can force people to be buried unmourned? That can prevent us visiting terminally ill friends?

I'm sorry to be a Jonah, but as far as I can see our troubles are only just starting.
:yeahthat:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
It's going to be a big tidy up operation, yes, but we've done it before and we can do it again. We do have the ability to do it. Obey the rules and this virus is going to have a nasty surprise. We're currently trying to starve the bastard .. this will work if everyone takes the wash your hands, social distancing seriously.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
It's going to be a big tidy up operation, yes, but we've done it before and we can do it again. We do have the ability to do it. Obey the rules and this virus is going to have a nasty surprise. We're currently trying to starve the bastard .. this will work if everyone takes the wash your hands, social distancing seriously.
Very good post.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
I know several people who are affected by learning disabilities, genetic disorders, autistic traits and mental health problems who are only just hanging on, with the help of family and medication.

Their families are exhausted by the fact they cannot tell them when or how this will end or get better.

I am somewhat surprised that they've lasted this long, and if you know someone with marked difficulties in this area you'll also know about the importance of routines, predictability and boundaries to each day. All clubs, day centres and voluntary activities have stopped from the middle of March.

Some that I know have actually started bending a few rules (eg allowing a young platonic couple to spend days together watching DVDs and drinking lemonade - but on separate sofas - in one family's home or out in the back garden together doing gardening and watering whilst distanced). The risk from not allowing them to do so after 2 months physical separation was higher in terms of a massive meltdown could result in hospital admission (and then exposure to C-19) and/or harm to others, than if they could see and be with each other a few time a week.

There are going to be so many exhausted, tired and drained people around, please be lovely to each other. Some people's risks are not the same as others.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
They don't have much faith in the cross! Vid at link.

The Metro Manila priests fighting coronavirus with the cross

With the cross in one hand and alcohol spray in the other, a group of Catholic priests in Metro Manila have been risking their lives to continue to serve their poverty-stricken community.

Manila has been under police and army-enforced lockdown for months, but hundreds of new coronavirus cases are recorded daily and testing for the virus remains limited. Howard Johnson and Virma Simonette follow the priests who, in full personal protective equipment (PPE), are continuing to deliver services to their congregation.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A large cross mounted on a 2 metre pole should be useful for keeping people at a safe distance.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Sorry, just got in and checked the day's news. I really have to stop doing that...

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This may be the oncoming "new normal" - being sprayed with disinfectant when entering a restaurant or pub, then enjoying your visit in relative isolation.
Japanese pub aims to clean up with disinfectant spray machine

As Japan’s restaurants and bars slowly open up from a coronavirus lockdown, many are looking to reassure the public that dining out is safe again and one Japanese-style izakaya pub thinks it has found the perfect solution.

The pub in Tokyo’s normally bustling Shinjuku district has installed a machine that sprays customers with hypochlorous acid water as they enter.

Customers are first greeted by a hostess on a monitor, of course, who instructs them to disinfect their hands and check their temperature with a thermometer provided.

They then step into a machine that looks like an airport security scanner, or a car-wash for humans, to get sprayed with a fine mist of the chlorine-based disinfectant for 30 seconds.

Customers then pick up a map that guides them to their seat where they order with smartphones.

Throughout the process they have not come into contact with a single person. ...

A clear acrylic screen is set up between each diner to further minimise the risk of infection, and it seems to work.

“I feel safe,” said one woman customer who didn’t want to be identified. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...with-disinfectant-spray-machine-idUSKBN22W0K4

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
"Persuasion:

2. Perceived threat: A substantial number of people still do not feel sufficiently personally threatened; it could be that they are reassured by the low death rate in their demographic group... The perceived level of personal threat needs to be increased among those who are complacent, using hard-hitting emotional messaging."

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ce-to-social-distancing-measures-22032020.pdf

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
"Persuasion:

2. Perceived threat: A substantial number of people still do not feel sufficiently personally threatened; it could be that they are reassured by the low death rate in their demographic group... The perceived level of personal threat needs to be increased among those who are complacent, using hard-hitting emotional messaging."

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ce-to-social-distancing-measures-22032020.pdf

maximus otter
Prepare for anti-drink-drive styled adverts.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It could be the fact a lot of kids these days have little/no contact with their grandparents, so do not equate their natural germininess with risk to them?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
According to someone on the radio yesterday talking about pubs/hospitality industry, an estimated 70 million pints will be poured down the drain from unsold beer barrels.

Ogdred Weary

Endless Not
Reaction score
According to someone on the radio yesterday talking about pubs/hospitality industry, an estimated 70 million pints will be poured down the drain from unsold beer barrels.
They could have donated some of those to me.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Because of the archaic way in which duty is applied on alcohol sales the publicans and breweries have no option other than to pour booze away when it is deemed no longer fit for consumption. Not only do they have to pour it away, they have to keep accurate records of exactly how much is being poured away, for the tally-man.
Which IMO is just ridiculous.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Because of the archaic way in which duty is applied on alcohol sales the publicans and breweries have no option other than to pour booze away when it is deemed no longer fit for consumption. Not only do they have to pour it away, they have to keep accurate records of exactly how much is being poured away, for the tally-man.
Which IMO is just ridiculous.
Beer waste is called 'ugelle' .. not sure how that's spelled at the moment but ... I used to have to record it daily. Hopefully someone will come along to correct my spelling.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Yes that's correct (it's spelt 'ullage').
However the definition of ullage is the amount by which a container falls short of being filled to it's capacity, but for pubs etc it's basically the amount that has to be chucked away.
The ullage is usually what is collected from the drip trays. Unfortunately the ullage has increased massively over recent years due to the use of branded glasses which don't have a 'fill' line, and so the drink is poured until the froth flows over the top of the glass into the drip tray.
That's more of an issue with lagers which are fizzier than other pump drinks.
You probably remember when all pint glasses were standard, clear items, with a line printed on the glass about half an inch from the top to show exactly where a pint measure of liquid was (necessary in the UK as by law, you are purchasing an exact measurement of alcohol so you can see that you're not being 'short measured'). The Use of these slightly oversized glasses meant you could get your exact pint, + a 'head' on the top, and there was very little wastage, which is something that publicans have been trying to get back into usage.
Due to the use of branded glasses without a 'fill line' it is now fairly commonplace for premises to try to get away with pouring you a pint with a big head on, claiming that they're allowed to go to 95% of a full pint, which is total tosh, you should ask them to fill it to the top, as, by law, they have to give you the pint you are purchasing (this dates back to the 'weights and measures' taxation which applies to all taxable goods sold in the uk by weight or liquid measurement, e.g. coal, cement, flour, petrol, booze etc etc).

Trevp666

Reaction score
Makes you wonder how rail companies will survive the loss of the vast majority of their customers?
I expect that (at least this summer) we'll see an increase in the amount of special tickets available for holiday trips in the UK by rail.