COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Because of the archaic way in which duty is applied on alcohol sales the publicans and breweries have no option other than to pour booze away when it is deemed no longer fit for consumption. Not only do they have to pour it away, they have to keep accurate records of exactly how much is being poured away, for the tally-man.
Which IMO is just ridiculous.
Beer waste is called 'ugelle' .. not sure how that's spelled at the moment but ... I used to have to record it daily. Hopefully someone will come along to correct my spelling.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Yes that's correct (it's spelt 'ullage').
However the definition of ullage is the amount by which a container falls short of being filled to it's capacity, but for pubs etc it's basically the amount that has to be chucked away.
The ullage is usually what is collected from the drip trays. Unfortunately the ullage has increased massively over recent years due to the use of branded glasses which don't have a 'fill' line, and so the drink is poured until the froth flows over the top of the glass into the drip tray.
That's more of an issue with lagers which are fizzier than other pump drinks.
You probably remember when all pint glasses were standard, clear items, with a line printed on the glass about half an inch from the top to show exactly where a pint measure of liquid was (necessary in the UK as by law, you are purchasing an exact measurement of alcohol so you can see that you're not being 'short measured'). The Use of these slightly oversized glasses meant you could get your exact pint, + a 'head' on the top, and there was very little wastage, which is something that publicans have been trying to get back into usage.
Due to the use of branded glasses without a 'fill line' it is now fairly commonplace for premises to try to get away with pouring you a pint with a big head on, claiming that they're allowed to go to 95% of a full pint, which is total tosh, you should ask them to fill it to the top, as, by law, they have to give you the pint you are purchasing (this dates back to the 'weights and measures' taxation which applies to all taxable goods sold in the uk by weight or liquid measurement, e.g. coal, cement, flour, petrol, booze etc etc).

Trevp666

Reaction score
Makes you wonder how rail companies will survive the loss of the vast majority of their customers?
I expect that (at least this summer) we'll see an increase in the amount of special tickets available for holiday trips in the UK by rail.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Every cloud.
Well quite.

Whilst I am missing the office dynamic a fair bit - the banter - telling jokes around the water cooler, perhaps a bit of flirting, and the extended Friday boozy lunch etc. I don't miss my lousy commute one bit.
I'm guessing that the poor bloody commuter, crammed Tetris-like into poorly-ventilated and chronically unpunctual trains during the morning and evening rush-hours, constitutes maybe 90% of rail companies' turnover.
Whether such franchises can remain financially viable in a post-commuter UK is the big question.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I avoid public transport like the plague (no pun intended).
I have a car.
It's paid for, along with the MOT, Insurance, fuel, etc etc etc.....and seeing as I'm the only person in it I feel it's the ideal encapsulated, air-conditioned, transport, so that's how I get around.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I avoid public transport like the plague (no pun intended).
I have a car.
It's paid for, along with the MOT, Insurance, fuel, etc etc etc.....and seeing as I'm the only person in it I feel it's the ideal encapsulated, air-conditioned, transport, so that's how I get around.
And you can sing and fart in your own car - or so I've been told....

Trevp666

Reaction score
I do!
Simultaneously.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Public transport in the UK is a giant turd which the public is forced to sniff at unreasonable cost.
It's not all like that. Before the lockdown i had cause to use Merseyrail quite frequently over the last couple of years and while the trains aren't terribly comfortable they are frequent, clean and on time. The trains are actually quite old and were due to be replaced with new ones this year - I don't know if that's going ahead.

Virgin, at least on my main route, (Bangor - Euston) are total rubbish, however. They replaced the perfectly good trains we had with a sort of elongated bus with totally inadequate luggage space, no proper buffet (it's a three hour journey) and constant engine noise and vibration. Their prices are ludicrous and the quality of their staff extremely patchy.

Few if any railways have ever made money off commuting , due to the fact that you have to design the track and rolling stock to handle a peak that lasts at best 3 hours each day, the rest of the time 75% of the equipment stands around unused.

Getting back to the virus, surely one of the problems with modern trains is the air conditioning and no opening windows? If you could guarantee a continuous airflow the risk of infection would surely be reduced?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I went to a restaurant with a airport-style full body temperature scanner the other day, that already felt dystopian enough.
They will be everywhere soon.
I know something about this tech - i.e. I have worked with it. It doesn't do facial recognition - too much processing power required to do that and temperature scanning.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Sex workers offer to limit customers to two positions which 'minimise the risk of transmitting coronavirus'

Swiss sex workers have drawn up a list of rules which they say minimises the risk of transmitting coronavirus in brothels, in hopes that the country's ban on the industry could soon be lifted.

It comes as Switzerland's adult industry has been heavily hit by the pandemic, after the government placed a temporary ban on prostitution two months ago to help stop the spread of the virus.

The plan to reopen the industry, prepared by the organisation ProKoRe, suggests that sex positions which allow for a safe distance between faces, such as 'doggy style' and 'reverse cowgirl', are advisable.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...draw-list-coronavirus-safe-sex-positions.html

maximus otter

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
This is Labour as in the International Labour Organisation and is not party political.

The Global Labour University is launching a new online course to discuss the main challenges of the Covid-19 crisis

The mix of video lectures, webinars, readings, exercises and interaction with other course participants will enable you to engage in complex debates about the main challenges exposed by Covid-19 and policy proposals and strategies to overcome these challenges and push for an agenda of change.

https://iversity.org/en/courses/post-corona-start-now

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Sex workers offer to limit customers to two positions which 'minimise the risk of transmitting coronavirus'

Swiss sex workers have drawn up a list of rules which they say minimises the risk of transmitting coronavirus in brothels, in hopes that the country's ban on the industry could soon be lifted.

It comes as Switzerland's adult industry has been heavily hit by the pandemic, after the government placed a temporary ban on prostitution two months ago to help stop the spread of the virus.

The plan to reopen the industry, prepared by the organisation ProKoRe, suggests that sex positions which allow for a safe distance between faces, such as 'doggy style' and 'reverse cowgirl', are advisable.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...draw-list-coronavirus-safe-sex-positions.html

maximus otter
Reality is so close to comedy and satire these days:

PSX_20200527_105105.jpg

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
absolutely the best thing about getting in my car after work- to let one rip. god i've been waiting all day for that!
lt’s a ‘mare at work, isn’t it? Especially when you’re having a lecture or a meeting, and everyone’s on those plastic stackable chairs. You think you can ease up one cheek and just emit a teeny ffft. lnstead, you get a -

SWEE - ee - ee - FRAB!

It’s difficult to shift blame when it sounds as though you’ve just trodden on a duck.

maximus otter

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
what to expect when the shops reopen
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...non-essential-uk-shops-reopenjune-coronavirus

Stores are following the example of supermarkets, DIY chains and furniture retailers which have been limiting the number of shoppers with queue systems as well as installing plastic screens and supplying face masks to staff.

But there will also be new developments under government rules, including quarantining goods that have been returned to stores for up to 72 hours before they can be placed back on shelves.

• Shoppers will be discouraged from handling products while browsing and stock that is frequently touched could be regularly replenished with fresh items.

• Protective covers on large items such as beds or sofas that may be tested by shoppers.

• Quarantining items that have been returned, donated, brought in for repair or extensively handled – for example shoes or clothes that have been tried on – must be put in a container or separate room for 72 hours. Alternatively, items may be cleaned before being put back on display.

i've been thinking a lot about this. how, when i shop, i pick things up, handle them. when i worked in retail we'd find all manner of things picked up and put down elsewhere. in Clothing, the clothes that were tried on were often left in a disgusting state- just from trying on!

shop retail was a dying industry before coronavirus, for many reasons and all this seems like it could kill it off completely.

maybe from now on we will all have to shop a lot more considerately. shops might reconsider their refund policies and damage policies and make them stricter. we will spend more time queuing which is dull and time consuming but may consequently buy more thoughtfully and needfully. turnover of seasonal ranges will be slower so there will be less variety but the items for sale can be made of better quality and longevity. this will of course put prices up but then if things are made better then why not use the skills of people closer to home. instead of cheap shit made in china and pakistan make cheapish shit in italy and romania and hey, even the uk. less transportation costs, less pollution, less wasteful rubbish lasting a few months and being disposed of cos a new one is cheap to buy. instead of 3x things cost a pound, we buy one x thing costing 3 pounds.

and i guess all those empty out of town retail parks could be demolished and turned into parks for social distancing exercise and chill out. or something.

Trevp666

Reaction score
You think you can ease up one cheek.....etc
Here's a tip for all you 'bakers' out there.
A judiciously timed loud cough can cover up all manner of 'venting' noises.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Max is a hunter. I would suggest just blowing on a duck call instead.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Restaurants around the world are experimenting with ways of imposing social distance without driving away customers. This new approach (demonstrated in Paris) provides full-surround plastic shields for individual diners.

Plex'eat-1.jpeg
Patrons under plastic: Restaurants get creative in virus era

Dining at a table where each person is enclosed by a clear plastic shield might look and sound futuristic, but it could be one way for some restaurants to reopen. It also might help out if your companion orders escargots, heavy on the garlic.

The prototype plastic shields are known as the “Plex’eat,” and they resemble big clear lampshades suspended from the ceiling. They are being showcased temporarily at H.A.N.D., a Parisian restaurant seeking a way to reopen its dining room as coronavirus restrictions are relaxed. ...

Mathieu Manzoni, the director of H.A.N.D, said he thinks the plastic shields are a “pretty, more poetic” solution for restaurateurs who fear that social distancing could cut their capacity by half or more.

“There is a bit of a panic,” Manzoni said.

Makers of the Plex’eat say they have received more than 200 preorders around the world, including from France, the U.S. and Japan.

Designer Christophe Gernigon said he got the idea after visiting a store in Bangkok “with three individual domes with chairs where people would sit and listen to music.”

He merged the idea with the large face shields that have proliferated since the pandemic began, although there is no filtration system to keep any viruses from spreading.

Being French, there’s a version for more intimate dining, of course: a dome that cocoons its occupants in romantic isolation from the rest of the room. ...
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/f52803d023f00a13360a7bad722252e2

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The AP news article introducing the "Plex'eat" (see above) also provides a summary of some other tactics European restaurants are trying out as ways to attract wary diners back inside their establishments.

As restaurateurs around the world seek to resume in-person dining amid the pandemic, they want to adhere to social distancing rules while also trying to serve as many customers as health and safety measures will allow.

Some are putting mannequins at every other table to put some space between the actual customers, like at Augustas and Barbora, a restaurant in the Lithuanian capital of Vilnius. Some of its faux diners are dressed casually, while others look as though they are at a ball. The clothes showcase the work of local fashion designers.

“We want to fill the space with fun things,” said owner Patrikas Ribas.

Vilnius Mayor Remigijus Simasius called the initiative a “perfect match of communal spirit and creativity working side by side.”

In Hofheim, Germany, the Beef’n Beer is using large teddy bears seated at some tables to keep diners properly spaced apart. They also ensure a cozy, less-sterile atmosphere.

At Amsterdam’s Mediamatic restaurant, the owners have erected small glass houses that surround each table, served by waiters in protective shields.

Among other revamped restaurants across Europe:

— At El Salamanca, a Barcelona beachfront restaurant known for paella, menus are gone and customers use their smart phones to scan a QR code to consult what is on offer.

— Greek restaurants are using salt and pepper sachets inside of shakers, and menus are either thrown away after each meal or are laminated and wiped down regularly. Many waiters have face shields. Some tavernas have staff in matching face masks.

— In the Russian city of Nizhny Novgorod, a restaurant on the banks of the Volga and Oka rivers has set up 20 plastic huts for couples. It is awaiting approval from authorities to open if it meets safety standards.

— Italian restaurants are using contact tracing. Diners are supposed to reserve tables ahead of time and owners are keeping their contact information: If someone subsequently reports testing positive, the restaurant can quickly identify and contact those who ate there at the same time.

Some coffee bars in central Rome also are attaching stylish arched glass partitions to divide tabletops down the middle.
SOURCE (With Slide Show Of Selected Approaches):
https://apnews.com/f52803d023f00a13360a7bad722252e2

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I do wonder if at some point peoples' patience is going to run out. It's getting both silly and dangerous.