COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
My patience ran out a long time ago.
Sometime in 1997 I think.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I spoke to my social worker today - she checks up on me once a week by phone, and told her that I found the long weekend especially trying. She said that's very common, and people who were OK a week ago were starting to have real problems. I'm assuming all of her 'clients' are troubled in one way or another and perhaps - like me - less able to cope.

I have stuck to the rules as far as is possible - you sometimes just can't get 2 metres clear if someone is coming towards you - the Police have advised that you shouldn't go in the the road to avoid people. but this isn't living, it's existing.

If it's all right for premiership footballers to start close contact then that seems to contradict the need for everyone to social distance.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
what to expect when the shops reopen
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...non-essential-uk-shops-reopenjune-coronavirus

Stores are following the example of supermarkets, DIY chains and furniture retailers which have been limiting the number of shoppers with queue systems as well as installing plastic screens and supplying face masks to staff.

But there will also be new developments under government rules, including quarantining goods that have been returned to stores for up to 72 hours before they can be placed back on shelves.

• Shoppers will be discouraged from handling products while browsing and stock that is frequently touched could be regularly replenished with fresh items.

• Protective covers on large items such as beds or sofas that may be tested by shoppers.

• Quarantining items that have been returned, donated, brought in for repair or extensively handled – for example shoes or clothes that have been tried on – must be put in a container or separate room for 72 hours. Alternatively, items may be cleaned before being put back on display.

i've been thinking a lot about this. how, when i shop, i pick things up, handle them. when i worked in retail we'd find all manner of things picked up and put down elsewhere. in Clothing, the clothes that were tried on were often left in a disgusting state- just from trying on!

shop retail was a dying industry before coronavirus, for many reasons and all this seems like it could kill it off completely.

maybe from now on we will all have to shop a lot more considerately. shops might reconsider their refund policies and damage policies and make them stricter. we will spend more time queuing which is dull and time consuming but may consequently buy more thoughtfully and needfully. turnover of seasonal ranges will be slower so there will be less variety but the items for sale can be made of better quality and longevity. this will of course put prices up but then if things are made better then why not use the skills of people closer to home. instead of cheap shit made in china and pakistan make cheapish shit in italy and romania and hey, even the uk. less transportation costs, less pollution, less wasteful rubbish lasting a few months and being disposed of cos a new one is cheap to buy. instead of 3x things cost a pound, we buy one x thing costing 3 pounds.

and i guess all those empty out of town retail parks could be demolished and turned into parks for social distancing exercise and chill out. or something.
I've had to 'co supervise' the amount of people allowed in our supermarket from week 1 of all this crap .. I'm not in a position of authority officially but I am at the same time ? .. don't ask me, I don't understand that either but if I feel our store is getting over crowed, I can ask security to stop letting people in until enough people have left and that's what they then do for us ... but they're human so if we only have one guard on and he needs to go for a piss or something? .. customers will start pouring in, social distancing becomes harder, we have to stop working to respect everyone's safety (and our own) .. we 'park' our carts at the end of aisles as much as we can to try to prevent 'traffic jams' of customers so park and traffic jam is part of our daily lingo ..

I was angrily tutted at yesterday for being "impatient" (I often am to be fair) when I said "Excuse me, sorry, can I please come past you to come into this lane? .. thank you" .. I mean, how dare we be in her supermarket at the moment? LOL

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score
British media stealing all the glory as ever...

View attachment 26666
This is worrying "the media" is not a monolithic entity, they are sensation based, including much independent media. I don't trust "news" much but I trust it more than I do the government, who are far more monolithic. But people trust friends and family more? What does this mean? Your DEAR OLD DAD who is a retired welder in Basingstoke is a fucking expert on pandemics is he? And YOUR BEZZIE MATE CHERYL who works in HR knows all about the efficacy of masks does she?

Please covid 19: become more infectious, evolve a 48 month incubation period and an 100% lethality rate.

Cochise

Reaction score
This is worrying "the media" is not a monolithic entity, they are sensation based, including much independent media. I don't trust "news" much but I trust it more than I do the government, who are far more monolithic. But people trust friends and family more? What does this mean? Your DEAR OLD DAD who is a retired welder in Basingstoke is a fucking expert on pandemics is he? And YOUR BEZZIE MATE CHERYL who works in HR knows all about the efficacy of masks does she?

Please covid 19: become more infectious, evolve a 48 month incubation period and an 100% lethality rate.
The UK media have been cutting their own throats ever since Hillsborough, and it's got worse with every subsequent crisis or disaster. I would in fact rather believe my dog than any of the MSM, and he only says 'woof'.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A sad case.

The body of a 38-year-old migrant worker was discovered in the toilet of a train at Uttar Pradesh's Jhansi Railway Station on Wednesday. The body, found by railway workers sanitising the train after a round trip from to Gorakhpur in eastern UP, may have been lying in the toilet for as many as five days.

The body has been identified as Mohan Lal Sharma, a resident of the state's Basti district. Mr Sharma worked as a daily wager in Mumbai but, like lakhs of other migrants, was left without a job or money by the abruptly-enforced lockdown.

Mr Sharma managed to reach Jhansi on May 23, after which he and other migrants looking to return home were sent by the district administration to the station to board a train to Gorakhpur, which is around 70 km from Basti.

On boarding the train Mr Sharma spoke to a relative on his mobile phone and asked to be met at the station in Gorakhpur. The following day, May 24, when the relative tried to reach Mr Sharma on the phone, he found it was switched off.

The train returned to Jhansi on Wednesday, May 27, and, as railway workers proceeded to disinfect the coaches, they were shocked to find Mr Sharma's body. The coach the body was found in had been locked for the return to Jhansi. The Railways has said no one was supposed to check that it was, in fact, empty before it returned.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/cor...in-toilet-in-up-likely-there-for-days-2237050

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

While I don't actually want to see more people ill or dead, maybe mutation that give really visible big purple spots while infectious and ill, fading to pink once immune.

It honestly would've been so much easier with zombies.

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score
While I don't actually want to see more people ill or dead, maybe mutation that give really visible big purple spots while infectious and ill, fading to pink once immune.

It honestly would've been so much easier with zombies.
Nope, KILL EVERYONE EQUALLY, you can't say fairer than that.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The UK media have been cutting their own throats ever since Hillsborough, and it's got worse with every subsequent crisis or disaster. I would in fact rather believe my dog than any of the MSM, and he only says 'woof'.
Your dog can deffo be trusted more than the MSM. Probably more intelligent too.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well I can’t believe this week. I think they’ve just been saving up all the crap.

There were two large vehicle crashes, at least one fatal.
Someone attacked and killed by rocks.
A ten hour police stand off.
A fatal stabbing.

In one week!

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score
Well I can’t believe this week. I think they’ve just been saving up all the crap.

There were two large vehicle crashes, at least one fatal.
Someone attacked and killed by rocks.
A ten hour police stand off.
A fatal stabbing.

In one week!
Attacked by rocks?

Cochise

Reaction score
Yeah, them MSMs with their propergander n' shit. I get my tr00ths from Alex Jones.
-What I try to do - and it is time consuming - is to check out as many sources as practical, and try and draw a conclusion. I was taught to do this by my two history teachers in high school when preparing essays. Thank you Mr. Cartwright and Mr Thatcher (otherwise known as Pancho - Mexican style moustache)

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I don't understand why the PM allowed people to go in the car to exercise ?

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I don't understand why the PM allowed people to go in the car to exercise ?
Because there's nothing wrong with that and never was.
Also, how are you going to police preventing it?
Are you going to expect the plod to set-up road blocks and question every driver about what they're doing and where they're going?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
It's how he says 'woof' that's the clincher .. he's a good boy and I trust him .. unless missing food is involved (and please give him a pat on the head from me).

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Because there's nothing wrong with that and never was.
Also, how are you going to police preventing it?
Are you going to expect the plod to set-up road blocks and question every driver about what they're doing and where they're going?
Keep the car parks closed like they did and let our world breath and not litter the beaches plus all how are the pissed chavs needing toilets astray are all shut.