COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Lobeydosser

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
That seems to be the "idea" here - but on Sunday folk were going straight into the park and/or sitting outside Kelvingrove Museum and drinking it there .
https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news...-ban-still-force-pubs-launch-take-away-pints/

"Inn deep" pictured there is 2 mins from me and folk were wandering alongside the Kelvin drinking pints - that annoys me particulary as there are a bunch of faily amiable homeless\drunks who hang about at the stairs there quite regularly bumming money and fags from folk and the police always confiscate their cans of beer and pour them down the drain right in front of the "trendy" students sitting at the pub tables. I've seen that done on more occasions than I can recount - yet if your dressed up like a prat from Mumford and Son the law doesn't apply....mutter

Disclosure - I should point out that depending on my sartorial mood on any given day I can easily pass for a member of either the students with the silly beards or the homeless\drunks :cool:

edit - in at work today and we have more folk back onsite now - ten thousand face masks (the full face visor type) shipped out to care homes today (so that's good) - but we have been told to park our cars two spaces apart..... er ..ok (that just seems a bit OTT to me).

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
That seems to be the "idea" here - but on Sunday folk were going straight into the park and/or sitting outside Kelvingrove Museum and drinking it there .
https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news...-ban-still-force-pubs-launch-take-away-pints/

"Inn deep" pictured there is 2 mins from me and folk were wandering alongside the Kelvin drinking pints - that annoys me particulary as there are a bunch of faily amiable homeless\drunks who hang about at the stairs there quite regularly bumming money and fags from folk and the police always confiscate their cans of beer and pour them down the drain right in front of the "trendy" students sitting at the pub tables. I've seen that done on more occasions than I can recount - yet if your dressed up like a prat from Mumford and Son the law doesn't apply....mutter

Disclosure - I should point out that depending on my sartorial mood on any given day I can easily pass for a member of either the students with the silly beards or the homeless\drunks :cool:

edit - in at work today and we have more folk back onsite now - ten thousand face masks (the full face visor type) shipped out to care homes today (so that's good) - but we have been told to park our cars two spaces apart..... er ..ok (that just seems a bit OTT to me).
There are a few open spaces in Liverpool that are 'licensed premises' - also drinking in the parks seems to be OK. I love that city - I didn't know it at all until about 5 years ago, even though my dad was born there . It probably has a bad rep because of certain football supporters, but honestly it is a really friendly place. I have a cockney accent and I've never met any hostility - its always been ' What are you doing up here' Do You like the place' Yes I do, because down south you'd have to be going in the same pub for 10 years before anyone spoke to you. And of course only in Liverpool could I be made an honorary Irishman. My family is Catholic which helps, but Italian and Swiss. Still, never mind.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
Consider this paragraph from a June 2020 article that's one of the first omnibus surveys of the available evidence on droplets transmission
This literature has not been cited by British PHA scientific leads at any point over the last 14 weeks.

I distinctly remember Professor Van Tam (who has done an excellent job IMO) stating around maybe UK Lockdown Wk6 that there was no root empirical reason for the UK:US (et al) 2metres interpersonal separation, and that it was simply a 'plucked value' (which may have been said in tactical vein, so as to permit future reductions in that distancing, and to avoid implying that eg mainland European nations going for 1.0 or 1.5metres were wrong in that decision).

Whilst checking yesterday available W.H.O. guidance on this matter, I was intrigued to discover that their minimum recommendation for Covid-safe interpersonal distancing does appear to be 1.0metres: this is really odd on so many levels, because:
  • I've no recollection of a single PHO citing it (anywhere/anytime) during the pan(dem)ic
  • It's stated as a recommended minimum (so in fact ALL Public Health Authorities could've doctrinely cited it)
  • However (and this is beyond a mere gamechanger) all these purportedly-minimal infective-safe distances are so completely at variance with that being suggested by your listed 2014-16 study (a viable 7 to 8metres projected germ outfall? What?). As we always seem to find throughout this whole saga, there is very-little in the way of positively-actionable option ever being unambiguously-identified.
Seriously: if this "7-8 metres" is a genuinely-meaningful figure (I do mean viable infective material being ejected in a, say, 120 degree sneeze-pattern by an newly-symptomatic carrier, infecting a c20 sq metre area within what would need to then be a 50sq metre safety-zone per person).....

How could that be ever be reconciled with the c1.0 sq metres (a differential of nearly two orders of magnitude) that the UK Government is now thinking it can decrementally (yet still protectively) reduce Covid-safe seperations down to, under a 1.0 metre reduced distance paradigm (in fact it's actually just 785sq millimetres.....worked from area of circle=pi x R^2, ie 3.14x0.5metres^2.... because 1.0 metres between you & I gives us each a personal radius of just half a metre).

This is just expedient juggling. There is no real margin of assurance able to be argued here, at all.

Ergo: it's all fundamentally meaningless.

Last edited:

Lobeydosser

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
There are a few open spaces in Liverpool that are 'licensed premises' - also drinking in the parks seems to be OK. I love that city - I didn't know it at all until about 5 years ago, even though my dad was born there . It probably has a bad rep because of certain football supporters, but honestly it is a really friendly place. I have a cockney accent and I've never met any hostility - its always been ' What are you doing up here' Do You like the place' Yes I do, because down south you'd have to be going in the same pub for 10 years before anyone spoke to you. And of course only in Liverpool could I be made an honorary Irishman. My family is Catholic which helps, but Italian and Swiss. Still, never mind.
The licensing rules are all over the shop in Scotland - last I looked you can drink in public in Edinburgh, but not in Glasgow and only on the beach in St Andrews, just creates confusion and needless nonsense for the Police. How about just using normal laws on drunk and disorderly and public order and use those instead ?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Perhaps this will be emulated elsewhere.

Daegu, the city at the epicentre of South Korea‘s coronavirus outbreak, has filed a civil damages suit against a church that has been linked to over 5,200 of the country’s cases.

Widespread infections among members of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus in February and March made South Korea the first country to have a major outbreak outside China. The city now is seeking 100bn won (£66m) in damages from the church for allegedly ignoring the city’s quarantine measures and allowing the disease to spread among its members.

The church has insisted it fully complied with government efforts.

At least 5,213 of the South Korea's total 12,484 Covid-19 cases have been linked to the church, according to the Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...h-korea-daegu-shincheonji-jesus-a9582951.html

Beresford

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
The licensing rules are all over the shop in Scotland - last I looked you can drink in public in Edinburgh, but not in Glasgow and only on the beach in St Andrews, just creates confusion and needless nonsense for the Police. How about just using normal laws on drunk and disorderly and public order and use those instead ?
The default position is that drinking in public places is legal, but a number (possibly the majority) of Scottish Councils have passed by-laws banning it either completely or in specified areas. It's not really a big issue for the police as they tend to work quite closely with the council Licensing Departments..

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Perhaps this will be emulated elsewhere.

Daegu, the city at the epicentre of South Korea‘s coronavirus outbreak, has filed a civil damages suit against a church that has been linked to over 5,200 of the country’s cases.

Widespread infections among members of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus in February and March made South Korea the first country to have a major outbreak outside China. The city now is seeking 100bn won (£66m) in damages from the church for allegedly ignoring the city’s quarantine measures and allowing the disease to spread among its members.

The church has insisted it fully complied with government efforts.

At least 5,213 of the South Korea's total 12,484 Covid-19 cases have been linked to the church, according to the Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...h-korea-daegu-shincheonji-jesus-a9582951.html
I dunno. Even if the church stayed open, no one made people go there.

I mean, look at the picture above of bournmouth beach. All those dipwads made a choice to go there.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I dunno. Even if the church stayed open, no one made people go there.

I mean, look at the picture above of bournmouth beach. All those dipwads made a choice to go there.
The church members spread it to other people they came in contact with.

melon24

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
That Bournemouth photo is EXACTLY why I will not be going to any beach, pub, cafe, restaurant, shopping centre any time soon....

Why would anyone do that at this point? I just don't understand. :confused:

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ermintruder: Are you saying there is no basis for keeping a distance, or just no basis for it being a 2 meter distance?

melon24

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The PM said that it was all over, the virus has gone away and everyone can carry on as before - at least that's what everyone wanted him to say, which is the same thing.
I noted how the PM (to paraphrase) said that we should keep to 2m distancing where possible, except where we can't, then 1m will do. After that, the news headlines were all saying 'distancing now reduced to 1m'! NOT WHAT WAS SAID AT ALL!!!

I cannot believe that the NHS (and everyone!) has gone through all this sacrifice we have and then we are all gonna be fu**ed anyway.

It's like saying 'well we've fought the Nazis for a bit, but actually we might as well let them invade and overrun us, as otherwise the economy will be ruined'. FFS.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I noted how the PM (to paraphrase) said that we should keep to 2m distancing where possible, except where we can't, then 1m will do. After that, the news headlines were all saying 'distancing now reduced to 1m'! NOT WHAT WAS SAID AT ALL!!!

I cannot believe that the NHS (and everyone!) has gone through all this sacrifice we have and then we are all gonna be fu**ed anyway.

It's like saying 'well we've fought the Nazis for a bit, but actually we might as well let them invade and overrun us, as otherwise the economy will be ruined'. FFS.
Hallelujah.

Eyespy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

Most parking slots are over 2.4 m wide, if you all park facing the same way ( you will need to ban left hand drive cars!) you will all be over 2 m apart. I did suggest this at work but got some funny looks and a kindly soul suggested I was overthinking the problem as cars were outside in the fresh air and people arrive/leave at different times.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Definitely true. It is on the BBC.

A major incident has been declared today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717
When the bars/restaurants and public toilets are closed, and there are thousands of people – including loads of kids – the result is all-too-easy to predict. Throw in reduced council services, bin emptying etc, and the inability of many Britons to take their litter with them*, and you've got a shitstorm. Rubbish? You take a bag, fill the bag with your rubbish and take it home; you don't dump it by an overflowing bin that isn't going to be emptied because the staff are furloughed. Simple, really bloody simple.

(*In my adult life, 40+ years or so, I can remember deliberately littering once. A bird shat on my head, I wiped my head down with a tissue that I left in the gutter – rather than carry a shit-covered tissue in a pocket. And my parents brought me up never to litter, so I'm pretty sure I didn't as a youngster.)

Last edited:

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Definitely true. It is on the BBC.

A major incident has been declared today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717
So business as usual then?

Dafuq is wrong with people? I can understand people wanting to get away, especially if theyve been cooped up in a city, but why be such twats? Like cycleboy says, take your rubbish home for a start.

Those crowd pictures are giving me anxiety. Brr.

Dorset councillor Laura Miller said she was verbally abused and spat at as she directed traffic at Durdle Door on Wednesday.

Roads to the beauty spot were closed after people failed to use the pre-booking parking system.

"Our local industry is dependent on tourism - we're not saying 'don't come', but come here in a safe and managed way. When it's too busy, no-one is having fun," she said.

The car park was approaching capacity again by mid-morning on Thursday.

i dont really think beaches should be privately owned- im not sure if lulworth cove is- but the car park and roads are, and the owner has made parking spots pre bookable only, to reduce crowding. But spitting at people trying to help! Ffs

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
In our (seaside) town, we have a voluntary group which does the litter-picking (as the council bod can't/won't ... another issue) who report how much dumping happens.
In fairness, our visitors have increased and - in practical terms - are distanced from each other on the beach. Trouble is, they're not buying anything from local shops but bringing their own supplies ... which gets left on the shore.
Their increase in visits hasn't helped the local economy but increased the pressure on it.

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
Stunning , it was reported that four and a half tons of rubbish were removed from the beach from the previous session.
How much effort does it take to put the empty can/ wrapper back in the container they were taken to the beach in. Selfish in the extreme:rcard:.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I've been in Morrisons lots of times and they've always had loads of beer and alcohol in stock - paper said we've spent a billion quid on booze during the lock-down. So why all the fuss about Pubs re-opening ? - is everyone really missing cosying up in a room of sweaty piss-heads with a £5 a pint lager ?