COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Just heard on t'BBC news that there were half a million people on the beaches at Bournemouth yesterday. Half a million? All six feet apart?

And anyway, half a million? :oops:

I played the news back on BBC Sounds and no, my ears did not deceive me. Half a million. Fuck me.

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
Just heard on t'BBC news that there were half a million people on the beaches at Bournemouth yesterday. Half a million? All six feet apart?

I played the news back on BBC Sounds and no, my ears did not deceive me. Half a million. Fuck me.
Sorry I'm fully booked at the moment, but you will go on the provisional list..:)

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
People cramming to the beaches, illegal street parties, no doubt someone will start a fire in some national park or someone will drown in a river before the weekends out.

Yep welcome to post-lockdown. Seems the time of being neighbourly and considerate are over.

Plus the traffic volume and general noise levels are back to normal round here. School run cars parked in my street. And the yellowy pollution haze i can see when i look at the horizon from over the valley is back. Its quite distinct and has been notable by its absence.

*sigh*

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
People cramming to the beaches, illegal street parties, no doubt someone will start a fire in some national park or someone will drown in a river before the weekends out.

Yep welcome to post-lockdown. Seems the time of being neighbourly and considerate are over.

Plus the traffic volume and general noise levels are back to normal round here. School run cars parked in my street. And the yellowy pollution haze i can see when i look at the horizon from over the valley is back. Its quite distinct and has been notable by its absence.

*sigh*
I seem to remember in the week before full lockdown it was said it was important to time it right because people would only tolerate it for so long. Given the protests and other mass gatherings that the Police seem unable to do anything much about, it would seem three months is about it.

I'm actually fairly optimistic that if we haven't seen a spike three weeks after these mass meetings have started that we can probably abandon most of the measures while still protecting the high risk groups (Over 70's, people with various heath problems) It seems the virus is doing what they commonly do, which is becoming more infectious but less deadly. (Although the 'more infectious' may simply mean 'more tests').

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score

There's about 3 miles of beaches from the top end down to Branksome Chine and they were rammed. I have no idea why Bournemouth, probably because it's fairly close to main roads, has a sandy beach and maybe also because it's the only beach a lot of people have heard of. That level of attendance is normally a bank holiday occurrence.

BCP council declared a 'major incident' on Thursday as it was getting out of hand. A sector of visitors really wanted to 'let rip' and at one point there were police, security guards, the police helicopter and council staff trying to manage the shitty behaviour. People were parking on roundabouts and all sorts as car parks were full. Public loos are still shut in the BCP area so what people were doing to relieve nature doesn;t bear thinking about.

From our local BBC news: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717

What many people don't realise is that the Bournemouth-Poole-Christchurch urban conurbation is massive, it's a big city in its own right, with almost 500,000 population without counting the rural areas and market towns around it. The locals probably wanted a day on the beach as well, but given the demographics of the area probably not a great idea with that much crowding.

We live about 35 miles away but steer clear of it at the moment, we go further along the coast to places like Weymouth which seem to be managing visitors without much of the 'totally stupid' demographic being in evidence.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One thing that baffles me, we are constantly told that the Tories are Fascist bastards, it's a police state, they are taking our liberties...
yet, this Govment have proven to handle this crisis in the weakest and most inept fashion possible.

The Tories are xenophobic Brexiteer bastards, yet instead of doing what those who fit that description would do and pulling up the drawbridge to Europe and closing the door to foreigners they let air travel continue with no medical checks? As an island surely locking the door and strictly enforcing quarantine for any visitors who had to arrive in emergency was a clear and obvious solution.

The Tories are Fascists and the country is becoming a police state... yet, the continuous wishy washy instructions and 'advised to' rather than 'ordered to' approach has ultimately led to the scenes we see on Bournemouth beach yesterday. Surely clear authoritarian responses banning mass gatherings would be the way a 'police state' maintains order?

It just seems bizarre that after Johnson's posturing as the new Churchill, and all the hyperbole about how Johnson and the Tories are the second coming of the Third Reich they have proven to be as soft, inept and clueless as the stereotypical view of a leftie Labour regime.

Are they hamstring by fear of playing the cartoon Tory role? Or is it just that our political class are simply bumbling, public school buffoons that really have no clue and are more concerned about their long term prospects than solving the issue? I suspect this is not the Conservative party that the swathes that voted them in expected.

Having written all that, I presume this falls under the blanket 'political talk' ban. If so, shame we can't be adult enough to talk sensibly about these issues as this does truly fascinate me.

It is enough to make me shake my head sadly and despair at the mentality of British society today.

I would hope that the majority of us are doing our civic duty by respecting the government's social distancing rules.

But as for beachgoers, BLM (or whatever cause) protesters, house or street-party attendees and even those Liverpool supporters cramming the streets around Anfield yesterday, a pox on all your houses (just don't bring it to our houses).

Cochise

Reaction score
There's about 3 miles of beaches from the top end down to Branksome Chine and they were rammed. I have no idea why Bournemouth, probably because it's fairly close to main roads, has a sandy beach and maybe also because it's the only beach a lot of people have heard of. That level of attendance is normally a bank holiday occurrence.

BCP council declared a 'major incident' on Thursday as it was getting out of hand. A sector of visitors really wanted to 'let rip' and at one point there were police, security guards, the police helicopter and council staff trying to manage the shitty behaviour. People were parking on roundabouts and all sorts as car parks were full. Public loos are still shut in the BCP area so what people were doing to relieve nature doesn;t bear thinking about.

What many people don't realise is that the Bournemouth-Poole-Christchurch urban conurbation is massive, it's a big city in its own right, with almost 500,000 population without counting the rural areas and market towns around it. The locals probably wanted a day on the beach as well, but given the demographics of the area probably not a great idea with that much crowding.

We live about 35 miles away but steer clear of it at the moment, we go further along the coast to places like Weymouth which seem to be managing visitors without much of the 'totally stupid' demographic being in evidence.
It's sort of similar in my home town, Southend, although the beach isn't quite as nice it is at least 5 miles long. I don't know what the whole population of the Shoeburyness-Southend-Westcliff-Chalkwell-Leigh conurbation is, but I would guess a similar number. There are other subdivisions like Prittlewell where I grew up - Southend is actually the South End of Prittlewell. I'd actually have quite liked to retire back there, but the best laid plans etc.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Monkey Planet. They're like the beach chavs.

The city of Lopburi om Thailand has allegedly been overrun by gangs of wild macaques, resulting in several "no-go zones" for humans. As one resident told The Guardian: "We live in a cage but the monkeys live outside."

The macaque population in Lopburi has doubled in just three years. The monkeys were frequently fed bananas by tourists, by after the coronavirus lockdowns began and tourism froze up, they were forced to seek alternative nutrition — typically junk food and fizzy drinks stolen from local stores or given them by frightened humans. All that sugar might be making them feistier, however, both for fighting and for fucking.

But my favorite most horrifying dystopian detail comes from France 24 (which is almost identical to the Guardian, except for this paragraph):

An abandoned cinema is the macaques' headquarters -- and cemetery. Dead monkeys are laid to rest by their peers in the projection room in the cinema's rear and any human who enters is attacked.

https://forums.forteana.org/javascript%3Avoid(0)
https://boingboing.net/2020/06/25/macaques-have-colonized-a-city.html

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I live in the south midlands, basically as far from the coast as you can be in the uk and Bournemouth area is the 'go to' beach for this part of the country.

As you say, its a big area, its sandy not pebbly, the sea doesnt get deep quickly nor does it vanish over the horizon like at western super mare.

Id bet people are travelling a far ways to get there.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Rather red masque ...

Kenyan police have killed three people when a crowd of motorcycle taxi drivers protested against the arrest of a colleague for ignoring coronavirus restrictions.

Police shot at the crowd in the western city of Lessos after clashes, a police statement said. The police have ordered the arrest of the officers involved.nKenyan police face increasing scrutiny over accusations they are excessively enforcing the coronavirus restrictions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53191358

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Yes, I would have chosen Weymouth. I know some people travelled from as far as Birmingham

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
So, what are the authorities doing about all this?

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Earlier I was watching the Red Arrows on flightradar flying round North and South Wales.

Techy suggested only half-jokingly that they were preparing to break up gatherings at Welsh beauty spots and on beaches!
What they needs is some choppers hovering low enough and loud enough to piss people off, but not close enough to have bottles thrown at em.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
"Supermarkets in Australia have reintroduced limits on purchasing toilet roll amid a rise in panic-buying. The rush was triggered by a spike in Covid-19 cases in the state of Victoria ". BBC News.
Guess what won't be available in Morrisons tomorrow.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Monkey Planet. They're like the beach chavs.

The city of Lopburi om Thailand has allegedly been overrun by gangs of wild macaques, resulting in several "no-go zones" for humans. As one resident told The Guardian: "We live in a cage but the monkeys live outside."

The macaque population in Lopburi has doubled in just three years. The monkeys were frequently fed bananas by tourists, by after the coronavirus lockdowns began and tourism froze up, they were forced to seek alternative nutrition — typically junk food and fizzy drinks stolen from local stores or given them by frightened humans. All that sugar might be making them feistier, however, both for fighting and for fucking.

But my favorite most horrifying dystopian detail comes from France 24 (which is almost identical to the Guardian, except for this paragraph):
3516.jpg
Longtail macaques pull the tail of a cat in an abandoned building in the town of Lopburi, 155km north of Bangkok
Photograph: AFP Contributor/Getty Images

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
European holidays to become available to UK citizens from 6th July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53199089

What if I book a break to say Ibiza or The Algarve for the end of August and a second Coronavirus peak hoves into view, either here or in the destination country before then?
Should lockdown and or quarantine rules be reapplied before would-be holidaymakers fly out, would they then have the right to cancel, with a full refund?

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Fkn hell. Can they just seal florida off and leave them to it?

You cannot regulate peoples breathing? Ok, no ventilator or oxygen mask or asthma med or cough meds for you!

Standing 6 feet apart is just training for the 5g cameras to be able to scan us.

Hilarious. And terrifying in their anger.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Is it just me or has there been a large decrease in Fortean observations posted for discussion since early March? With everyone at home you'd think ghost observation and experiences walking in the wilds would be up. Glad to see normal posting up in the past week but still not much Fortean.

Cochise

Reaction score
What they needs is some choppers hovering low enough and loud enough to piss people off, but not close enough to have bottles thrown at em.
Sometimes in an evil mood I've been tempted to have a go at the choppers than come low over my house with my bow. An aluminium arrow through the rotor blades should sort them out. But then I think a) never killed or injured anything with my bow b) it'd probably fall on my house.
A drone, though :evil:

Cochise

Reaction score
Good grief. There is an article in the Sun (I read it as a form of self-flagellation) congratulating people for staying away from the beaches today. We were threatened with up to 5 inches of rain - do they really think the two are unconnected?

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Good grief. There is an article in the Sun (I read it as a form of self-flagellation) congratulating people for staying away from the beaches today. We were threatened with up to 5 inches of rain - do they really think the two are unconnected?
Five inches in one day? You do get rain.