COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Good grief. There is an article in the Sun (I read it as a form of self-flagellation) congratulating people for staying away from the beaches today. We were threatened with up to 5 inches of rain - do they really think the two are unconnected?
My suggestion is to stay away from the Scum. It's full of shite you can exist quite happily without reading.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Could've gone in the Irony thread but..

“Great American Comeback tour” Meeting cancelled.

Mike Pence called off a planned campaign bus tour in Florida amid a surge in confirmed coronavirus cases.

The vice-president had been set to appear in Lake Wales at an event next week organized by pro-Trump group America First Policies billed as the “Great American Comeback tour.”
etc

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I live in the south midlands, basically as far from the coast as you can be in the uk and Bournemouth area is the 'go to' beach for this part of the country.

As you say, its a big area, its sandy not pebbly, the sea doesnt get deep quickly nor does it vanish over the horizon like at western super mare.

Id bet people are travelling a far ways to get there.
Apparently they built the Space Centre in Leicester because Leicester is closer to space than it is to the sea.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Owing to lock down, I've seen neither my son nor my daughter since February.
Due to the relaxing of restrictions, my son and his fiance rented a car last weekend and visted the fiance's mum in Basingstoke last Friday , and drove on down to visit me on Sunday.

I live about five miles inland from Bournemouth, so we agreed to try to meet in order to take the dog on the beach (the area where it's allowed.)
I warned my son he might have to park in town, but in fact he had no trouble parking near the beach in the correct area, and we had a nice few hours on the uncrowded sand.

The weather got hotter, and on Wednesday I decided to take my first swim in the sea.
I went down to the beach by bus, (wearing my mask) with no trouble, no traffic jams.
The beach was jam packed, but I've seen it like that before in really good weather.
I didn't want to hang about on the beach -I had my half hour's swim inthe sea , came out, got dressed and headed for the bus home.No problems.

I DID see a lot of litter lying around, but I didn't see any fights , barbeques, or many people over 70! (Except me!)

Miss a day -with all the hoohah on the news etc -and yesterday (Friday) my daughter came to visit me.
She too wanted to see the sea, so we deliberately took the bus to avoid any problems with parking.
By now the weather was not so great -windy and overcast -and we virtually had Bournemouth beach to ourselves.

The whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

Yes, the leaving of litter is bad, but a "National emergency"? Come on!
And the extra in flux of visitors from the Midlands was in part due to the fact that the Welsh beaches are closed.
I lived in Wolverhampton for over 30 years, and our nearest easy to reach seaside was Aberystwyth.

Finally, a lot of the local Bournemouth residents never bother to go to the beach. Huh!

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
There was a letter in the Saturday Telegraph from Clive J Hicks from Yorkshire:

"SIR - People can't go to the cinema. They can't go to a pub. They can't go to a restaurant. They can't go to the gym, to a concert, to a play. They can't go to a swimming pool; they can't play most sports; they can't watch live sport.
Half of them can't go to work. Most of their children can't go to school and none of them can go away on holiday.
Of course they're going to go to the beach."

Put like that, I feel reluctant to start demonising families.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is covid related but mods move it elsewhere if its better

Teen Spent 400 Hours Making A COVID-Themed Prom Dress Using 750 Meters Of Colored Duct Tape For A Duck Brand Scholarship Contest

https://www.boredpanda.com/duct-tape-prom-dress-covid-theme/

it is amazing!

duct-tape-prom-dress-covid-theme-1-5ef4704985faa__700.jpgduct-tape-prom-dress-covid-theme-2-5ef4704b9c36b__700.jpgduct-tape-prom-dress-covid-theme-3-5ef4704dd353c__700.jpgduct-tape-prom-dress-covid-theme-4-5ef47050103cc__700.jpgduct-tape-prom-dress-covid-theme-7-5ef47056cde54__700.jpg

she even did accessories- shoes, jewellery, corsage etc.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Even on hovercrafts the idiots strike.

The captain of a hovercraft was forced to suspend a crossing because two passengers refused to wear face masks.

Police were called as the service from Southsea to Ryde on the Isle of Wight was halted when the pair became "verbally abusive", Hovertravel said.

The firm has banned them and cancelled their travel cards for breaching its abusive behaviour policy, on the 17:30 BST service on Friday.

Anyone travelling on public transport in England must wear a face covering.

Hampshire Constabulary said officers spoke to the pair when they arrived in Ryde, after the crossing resumed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-53197422

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
According to Yahoo (not the most reliable source, I admit), there's been a Covid-19 'spike' in the Costa del Sol ... a week after 'welcoming' UK holidaymakers back.
From the same source, Greece has apparently become ... ah ... shall we say reluctant to welcome UK visitors back?
Can't say I blame them, really. With our current infection rate, when the UK government announced that Brits could start going on their holidays again, I did wonder if anyone had actually asked the tourist destination for their opinion.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
The whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

Yes, the leaving of litter is bad, but a "National emergency"? Come on!
Which one got you through the worst bits of this stuff? Netflix or Facebook?.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Which one got you through the worst bits of this stuff? Netflix or Facebook?.
I'm not on Netflix. I'm not a keen watcher of anything, film or T.V., though I often have T.V. on in the background from the afternoon onwards.
I check Facebook several times a day, but don't post anything too personal.
I also like checking' Right Move', and listening to ancient pop songs on YouTube, when I'm in the mood.

I've done a lot of crocheting, partly because the granddaughter who may still be getting married in October, wants her reception in the family barn, with guests sitting on hay bales covered in crocheted blankets!
I've made three so far,and about 20 small crocheted angels for the Methodist church where our knitting/crocheting group used to be held.
Oh, and mask extenders when they were asked for.

I've also continued learning Italian via Duolingo on the phone, and using the course with CDs, borrowed from the library before they closed.

I also do 1000 piece jigsaws. I've almost always got one on the go -it's really what my dining table is for!

I'm glad to be alive, but sorry to have lost the group things I used to do.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I've also continued learning Italian via Duolingo on the phone, and using the course with CDs, borrowed from the library before they closed.
Well, there's a thing!
Decades ago (!) I visited Italy and spent a couple of months cramming basic Italian. Somehow, even with a lack of practice, I retained some of it.
This year, in February my wife treated me to a few days in Rome for my birthday. My broken Italian (plus a phrase book) served me well and we pledged to return in 2021. As a goal, it's made me determined to 'recover' and improve on my Italian and I've been studiously working on Duolingo, as well as getting a couple of grammar books and a dictionary. 'Sta bene!

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Sometimes in an evil mood I've been tempted to have a go at the choppers than come low over my house with my bow. An aluminium arrow through the rotor blades should sort them out. But then I think a) never killed or injured anything with my bow b) it'd probably fall on my house.
A drone, though :evil:
Last shooting season we had a couple of guys regularly turned up earlier than the guns who then flew their drones over some of our busier drives, significantly reducing our bags on the days they were present.
The fact that they had got through a padlocked gate led us to believe that they were there with the landowners permission but it turned out that they worked on a gravel pit which was accessed through the same gate. The landowner confirmed they had no permission to be there and told us to shoot the drones with his blessing.
The wife and I are usually first there in the morning and we saw the drones so I went over, without a gun, explained the situation and the two men could not have been nicer.
They took the dates of all our future shooting days and we never saw them for the rest of the season.
It had the potential to become a little messier with some of the more headstrong in our group.
But secretly, deep down, I really wanted to blow those drones out of the sky!

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Anyone travelling on public transport in England must wear a face covering.
Two things,
1. Nobody is policing the wearing of masks on our trains from East Anglia to London and back. There are some who are not wearing them for whatever reason but I would say a large proportion are not wearing them properly. They either cover their nose leaving the mouth uncovered or cover their mouth leaving the nose uncovered.

2. My son is a train driver and he travelled with me on the early morning red eye one day last week. When he didn’t put a face covering on I remonstrated with him and he pulled up a government looking web page stating train staff didn’t have to wear face coverings. I told him that that was likely to mean when he was in the cab but he replied that hasn’t been made clear and given he has driven and travelled on trains when the population was dropping like flies what is the point now?

Anyway, I don’t care how big or ugly he is, I made him wear one whilst he was with me.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't worry too much about rate of infection when we still have no idea how many previously infected people there are. The best guide we have at the moment is number of hospitalisations. The number of deaths will of course be affected by the fact that care for seriously ill hospitalised covid patients is improving all the time as the medicos learn more about the best treatments.

From what I've seen, moving about (legitimately, to get my dog care) it's not just the raves, its that people in general are going 'eff this'. I actually saw fewer masks about than last week. And many more cars, to the extent of traffic jams. The lockdown is effectively over, all that is happening now is that we are exacerbating the economic damage and the deaths for other reasons *. Wales is basically planning to open up everything next month to welcome the tourists. Holiday homes the lot.

I've got no time for the Welsh Assembly, but Drakeford currently (and he didn't at the start of this) sounds more convincing than Boris.

*The NHS has currently in excess of 500,000 missed appointments for either chronic or progressive illnesses, not to mention missed tests for potential cancers etc. How the heck are they ever going to catch that up and deal with a normal workload at the same time?
It's very simple once you reduce infection to almost zero then you open borders to tight controls. NZ is a very good model on what to do right and what to do wrong. Still think it's been an amazing response.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's very simple once you reduce infection to almost zero then you open borders to tight controls. NZ is a very good model on what to do right and what to do wrong. Still think it's been an amazing response.
Agree, agree, agree. And yes, we're a much bigger country than NZ and also a transport hub, but we had plenty of warning and we're also an island – an advantage over Germany and some other countries that have suffered far fewer cases than us. As for the USA and Brazil, don't get me started...

Other countries that have excelled along with New Zealand include Taiwan, Hong Kong and Vietnam. Test and track, test and track, test and track, test and track...

Hogarth999

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Not just in Leicester. Coronavirus infections rising in several UK locations.

Well I hope all those twats on protest marches, beach parties, illegal raves and such like are happy now.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-of-uk-raise-fears-of-further-local-lockdowns
If our incompetent, ever-lying government had acted a lot quicker and more pro-actively a few months ago then we wouldn't be in such dire straits right now. There's no point in blaming the protest marchers, those going to beach parties and illegal raves when those really to blame are the government (who are of course only too happy to pass the buck and blame the public (and the scientists)). This is the government of "not my fault fault guv'nor, 'ee did it". Nobody trusts them.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
I think it's been an amazing response too. But it was never going to last forever. I'm not going to get political. Go back and look at the Black Death. We remember the one village that sacrificed themselves in lockdown because they were a singular exception. Meanwhile in some cities people decided if they were going to die they might as well party first. Similar reactions to today.

But before despairing let's remember for a couple of months almost everyone did behave themselves. There are other contributing factors to the gradual disintegration of lockdown, I'm sure they will occur to you without me listing them and thereby flouting the no politics rules.

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If our incompetent, ever-lying government had acted a lot quicker and more pro-actively a few months ago then we wouldn't be in such dire straits right now. There's no point in blaming the protest marchers, those going to beach parties and illegal raves when those really to blame are the government (who are of course only too happy to pass the buck and blame the public (and the scientists)). This is the government of "not my fault fault guv'nor, 'ee did it". Nobody trusts them.
I reserve the right to be angry.
I, my family and everyone I know have behaved responsibly and done our civic duty by respecting the social distancing rules to the letter.

When the news shows thousands of people who don't give a toss about acting responsibly, whether it's to satisfy their craving to burn the Cenotaph flags or deface Churchill's statue and yell at the police, swig a few cans of warm beer and eat gritty sandwiches on the beach, get high at illegal raves or throw flares around to celebrate their football team's achievement, I just wonder what's the point in being a good citizen?
The police will fine individual "covidiots" who break the rules, but there's obviously strength in numbers, as thousands breaking the rules can get away with it and spread further infections to their heart's delight.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I reserve the right to be angry.
I, my family and everyone I know have behaved responsibly and done our civic duty by respecting the social distancing rules to the letter.

When the news shows thousands of people who don't give a toss about acting responsibly, whether it's to satisfy their craving to burn the Cenotaph flags or deface Churchill's statue and yell at the police, swig a few cans of warm beer and eat gritty sandwiches on the beach, get high at illegal raves or throw flares around to celebrate their football team's achievement, I just wonder what's the point in being a good citizen?
The police will fine individual "covidiots" who break the rules, but there's obviously strength in numbers, as thousands breaking the rules can get away with it and spread further infections to their heart's delight.
Indeed. Those of various political hues protesting and the street ravers have all added to the risks.

But what really frightens me is the 500,000 at Bournemouth. That and other beach events have a Zombie Apocalypse potential

zombiebeach.jpg

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Neat, huh?
The government no longer has the ability or emotional authority to enforce lock-down. Past shenanigans with The Dom put paid to that, along with a pared-down police force and faulty legislation (not one prosecution under the 'emergency legislation' has resulted in success).
Mr Johnson promised (ha ha) that were the infection rate to rise, lock-down would be reinstated.
What he didn't detail was the national situation. Now, it makes sense that areas on the mend or recovered open up gradually, to maintain services and the economy, and equally it makes sense to "quarantine" areas of resurgence. But what has happened is that central government has let local government decide to shut down or not ... but not given them any legal powers to do so. The government doesn't 'give away' it's control willingly. So when we are told "local authorities can re-impose lock-down" we are not told how much of a delay and bureaucratic communication has to be taken in order to get 'permission' from central government to lock-down.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
This is the government of "not my fault fault guv'nor, 'ee did it". Nobody trusts them.
There are probably a sizeable contingent who think it's been a sterling job from the govt. Just going on averages.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Two things,
1. Nobody is policing the wearing of masks on our trains from East Anglia to London and back. There are some who are not wearing them for whatever reason but I would say a large proportion are not wearing them properly. They either cover their nose leaving the mouth uncovered or cover their mouth leaving the nose uncovered.

2. My son is a train driver and he travelled with me on the early morning red eye one day last week. When he didn’t put a face covering on I remonstrated with him and he pulled up a government looking web page stating train staff didn’t have to wear face coverings. I told him that that was likely to mean when he was in the cab but he replied that hasn’t been made clear and given he has driven and travelled on trains when the population was dropping like flies what is the point now?

Anyway, I don’t care how big or ugly he is, I made him wear one whilst he was with me.
Ive struggled to wear a mask that doesn't steam my glasses up. Ive quite the collection now and they all do it. So ive been wearing it slightly below my nostrils.which of course reduces its use.

Luckily for everyone im not in a situation where i have to wear one very often.

Also apparently children are exempt from the face covering on public transport rules. Which seems odd cos kids are germy little buggers.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
As irresponsible as letting it run rip?

Like someone said there are no good choices here, perhaps there is a hope that it will just gradually die out, like many common cold viruses that do the rounds, after all we don't actually know the what the infection rate is, mainly because it's so minor its never really recorded, but we do know a new one comes along every winter, (you can tell when one is around because all the pharma companies start advertising over the counter remedies)

Or it could mutate into a less potent form, although from what I can see there is little sign of that, why would it mutate from it's point of view its doing quite well in the contagion stakes
More irresponsible than letting it run rip. Much more.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Ive struggled to wear a mask that doesn't steam my glasses up. Ive quite the collection now and they all do it. So ive been wearing it slightly below my nostrils.which of course reduces its use.
Try Sonovia or Breathe Easy anti-microbial ones.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Dead pigs left on the side of roads have sparked fear in some farmers, making them think the virus is in their part of the country, reports say. The farmers then sell their pigs at a lower price to gang members waiting to take advantage of the situation.

Meanwhile, in extreme cases, some offenders are leaving feed infected with ASF in pig barns and are even using drones to spread contamination, reports the South China Morning Post, according to an investigation by the magazine China Comment.

https://www.porkbusiness.com/article/gangs-exploit-pork-crisis-china