COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I think it's been an amazing response too. But it was never going to last forever. I'm not going to get political. Go back and look at the Black Death. We remember the one village that sacrificed themselves in lockdown because they were a singular exception. Meanwhile in some cities people decided if they were going to die they might as well party first. Similar reactions to today.

But before despairing let's remember for a couple of months almost everyone did behave themselves. There are other contributing factors to the gradual disintegration of lockdown, I'm sure they will occur to you without me listing them and thereby flouting the no politics rules.
You are missing the point of the NZ rise in cases - the country is getting their people back from overseas who have been made redundant, are sick of living overseas, and want to come home. Being Covid-free was never going to last forever. What the country needs to do is to ensure isolation works. It dropped the ball on the first of the new cases.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm a bus user. I've seen quite a few passengers take down their masks once they're seated .
Personally I use a scarf -I've got lots.Recently a bloke got on and said"Oh! It's the Lone Ranger!" :D

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I'm a bus user. I've seen quite a few passengers take down their masks once they're seated .
Personally I use a scarf -I've got lots.Recently a bloke got on and said"Oh! It's the Lone Ranger!" :D
Have the drivers been wearing them? DIdn't see any wearing one today.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Booked a table for 4 of us at our favourite little Tapas bar, El Pulpo in Witham on Sunday. Saw the door open today and asked them to prepare an “order in advance” paella To go with the Tapas
It will likely be a costly night but if we want these little independents to survive after the pandemic we have to stick our hands in our pockets.
Use them or lose them, and with the bar closed to those only wanting a drink and the occasional tapa their takings will be well down.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Some do some don't. I don't think it's compulsory for drivers.
I was rather confused by it but here is the answer given on the Stagecoach website.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/help-and-contact/national/face-coverings-faqs

Q. Will your drivers wear a face covering?
A. Our drivers have a protective screen that acts as a barrier so don't need to wear a face covering. If the driver needs to leave their cab to help a customer, they must wear a face covering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
In our (small) town, it can go either ways. We live in a small seaside resort, popular with walkers and caravanners.
It might work or it might be incredibly stupid.
Since non-essential shops opened, we have had increased visitor numbers but nothing like the usual. The weather really does make a difference.
Now, the town may be filled in the evening with weekenders demanding their right to go back to normal, but the few local pubs have put in recommended guidelines. Nearly all* have booking and table-service insisted.
The only trouble I think we may have are those idiots who want - nay, demand - to go from one pub to another and it kicking off when they get told no!

I've booked a time in my local. 1) I've now got my FT to read; 2) I support local business when I can; 3) I'm so much a 'regular' in there, I've a tankard kept behind the bar; and 4) I'm not scared of owt that can be thrown at me in this town - I've been in far worse!

*There's at least one I suspect really couldn't care at all. The phrase 'not picky' is an understatement; more like 'sink trap'.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The reason being to stop them opening at a second after midnight tonight. Though there will be the odd knob who will open at 06.00, most will be maintaining their usual (and likely licensed) hours.
'Spoons may be open for breakfast as per pre-lockdown, for those desperate.

Swifty

Reaction score
I live in America, so I figured my exposure was only a matter of when not if. If it gets me then you can look for pictures of me in the ghosts forum ;)
We all deserve better than 'fingers crossed' .. I'm starting to feel angry towards members of the public who are going to go to pubs/bars/restaurants/airports/now .. they'll be the first to run for medical help if they get infected of course.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
We all deserve better than 'fingers crossed' .. I'm starting to feel angry towards members of the public who are going to go to pubs/bars/restaurants/airports/now .. they'll be the first to run for medical help if they get infected of course.
We have to remember that this "flattening the curve" had nothing to do with c19 not spreading. Until there's a vaccine it will spread and everyone will be infected. The entire point of staying at home (known in NY as "the pause") was to slow down the flow to the hospitals so they had time to treat people. Which in parts of the US now they do. And in parts not so good at flattening they don't .

Swifty

Reaction score
We have to remember that this "flattening the curve" had nothing to do with c19 not spreading. Until there's a vaccine it will spread and everyone will be infected. The entire point of staying at home (known in NY as "the pause") was to slow down the flow to the hospitals so they had time to treat people. Which in parts of the US now they do. And in parts not so good at flattening they don't .
I agree .. it's all been like driving a car so to speak, knowing when to take your foot on and off an accelerator and when to change gears to give the medical and key workers room to breath.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I do a regular 10/12 mile bike ride, on and off-road, which I can vary to take in or avoid two town centres. Today I took the town centres route to see how the 'opening up' process was going.

Everything looks normal apart from long queues outside barber shops. I saw three - THREE - people in masks. One was upstairs on a bus wearing a hi-viz jacket so he was probably a transport worker or maybe on his way to work.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
The reason being to stop them opening at a second after midnight tonight. Though there will be the odd knob who will open at 06.00, most will be maintaining their usual (and likely licensed) hours.
Some chains have said they they may be staggering the openings of their pubs. It may not be the crazy free for all that many fear.

Posted from my local, where I have been drinking since 6.15am. I have to go now, there's a bloke over there who has been looking at me funny...

Swifty

Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous, Myth. I wouldn't wear my plague doctor suit to the pub, how would I sup?

I'm wearing a tutu, deely boppers and a cheerful smile.
Couldn't find your sequined boob tube then?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Talk about bad luck..

Car smashes into pub hours before reopening

A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving and taking a vehicle without consent.

The teenager and two other 17 year olds were treated at hospital for minor injuries before being discharged, Kent Police said.

Mr Perkins said: "We spent weeks getting the pub ready to open today and eight hours before we are due to open, this happens. How much bad luck can we have?"

Landlady Ann Perkins said she heard an "horrendous noise and the actual floor in our bedroom dropped".

The couple went downstairs to find "the car parked in the pub, with three youths in it" and the air thick with "smoke and dust from rubble," she said.

While the interior of the pub is likely to remain closed for many months, Mr Perkins said the "show must go on" and they have opened to customers using marquees in the pub garden.

Mrs Perkins said neighbours in the village of Little Chart had provided "incredible" support, delivering flowers and helping to clean the bar and glassware.

Landlady Ann Perkins

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Soho in London last night – if the pubs were anything like as crowded you have to be a little concerned about the possibility of the virus really taking off again (not that it's really gone away, of course). I didn't go out; I'm not going out this week or next; I will start seeing friends in their gardens and so on, but that's it for me, for now. I've got two frail and elderly parents – it was their 61st wedding anniversary yesterday – and while I only see them once or twice a week, and even then we keep two metres apart, I've no desire for them to catch it from me.

5568.jpg

What could possibly go wrong?