COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
In our (small) town, it can go either ways. We live in a small seaside resort, popular with walkers and caravanners.
It might work or it might be incredibly stupid.
Since non-essential shops opened, we have had increased visitor numbers but nothing like the usual. The weather really does make a difference.
Now, the town may be filled in the evening with weekenders demanding their right to go back to normal, but the few local pubs have put in recommended guidelines. Nearly all* have booking and table-service insisted.
The only trouble I think we may have are those idiots who want - nay, demand - to go from one pub to another and it kicking off when they get told no!

I've booked a time in my local. 1) I've now got my FT to read; 2) I support local business when I can; 3) I'm so much a 'regular' in there, I've a tankard kept behind the bar; and 4) I'm not scared of owt that can be thrown at me in this town - I've been in far worse!

*There's at least one I suspect really couldn't care at all. The phrase 'not picky' is an understatement; more like 'sink trap'.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The reason being to stop them opening at a second after midnight tonight. Though there will be the odd knob who will open at 06.00, most will be maintaining their usual (and likely licensed) hours.
'Spoons may be open for breakfast as per pre-lockdown, for those desperate.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
The reason being to stop them opening at a second after midnight tonight. Though there will be the odd knob who will open at 06.00, most will be maintaining their usual (and likely licensed) hours.
Some chains have said they they may be staggering the openings of their pubs. It may not be the crazy free for all that many fear.

Posted from my local, where I have been drinking since 6.15am. I have to go now, there's a bloke over there who has been looking at me funny...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous, Myth. I wouldn't wear my plague doctor suit to the pub, how would I sup?

I'm wearing a tutu, deely boppers and a cheerful smile.
Couldn't find your sequined boob tube then?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Talk about bad luck..

Car smashes into pub hours before reopening

A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving and taking a vehicle without consent.

The teenager and two other 17 year olds were treated at hospital for minor injuries before being discharged, Kent Police said.

Mr Perkins said: "We spent weeks getting the pub ready to open today and eight hours before we are due to open, this happens. How much bad luck can we have?"

Landlady Ann Perkins said she heard an "horrendous noise and the actual floor in our bedroom dropped".

The couple went downstairs to find "the car parked in the pub, with three youths in it" and the air thick with "smoke and dust from rubble," she said.

While the interior of the pub is likely to remain closed for many months, Mr Perkins said the "show must go on" and they have opened to customers using marquees in the pub garden.

Mrs Perkins said neighbours in the village of Little Chart had provided "incredible" support, delivering flowers and helping to clean the bar and glassware.

Landlady Ann Perkins