COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Two things,
1. Nobody is policing the wearing of masks on our trains from East Anglia to London and back. There are some who are not wearing them for whatever reason but I would say a large proportion are not wearing them properly. They either cover their nose leaving the mouth uncovered or cover their mouth leaving the nose uncovered.

2. My son is a train driver and he travelled with me on the early morning red eye one day last week. When he didn’t put a face covering on I remonstrated with him and he pulled up a government looking web page stating train staff didn’t have to wear face coverings. I told him that that was likely to mean when he was in the cab but he replied that hasn’t been made clear and given he has driven and travelled on trains when the population was dropping like flies what is the point now?

Anyway, I don’t care how big or ugly he is, I made him wear one whilst he was with me.
Ive struggled to wear a mask that doesn't steam my glasses up. Ive quite the collection now and they all do it. So ive been wearing it slightly below my nostrils.which of course reduces its use.

Luckily for everyone im not in a situation where i have to wear one very often.

Also apparently children are exempt from the face covering on public transport rules. Which seems odd cos kids are germy little buggers.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
As irresponsible as letting it run rip?

Like someone said there are no good choices here, perhaps there is a hope that it will just gradually die out, like many common cold viruses that do the rounds, after all we don't actually know the what the infection rate is, mainly because it's so minor its never really recorded, but we do know a new one comes along every winter, (you can tell when one is around because all the pharma companies start advertising over the counter remedies)

Or it could mutate into a less potent form, although from what I can see there is little sign of that, why would it mutate from it's point of view its doing quite well in the contagion stakes
More irresponsible than letting it run rip. Much more.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ive struggled to wear a mask that doesn't steam my glasses up. Ive quite the collection now and they all do it. So ive been wearing it slightly below my nostrils.which of course reduces its use.

Try Sonovia or Breathe Easy anti-microbial ones.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Dead pigs left on the side of roads have sparked fear in some farmers, making them think the virus is in their part of the country, reports say. The farmers then sell their pigs at a lower price to gang members waiting to take advantage of the situation.

Meanwhile, in extreme cases, some offenders are leaving feed infected with ASF in pig barns and are even using drones to spread contamination, reports the South China Morning Post, according to an investigation by the magazine China Comment.

https://www.porkbusiness.com/article/gangs-exploit-pork-crisis-china

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I think it's been an amazing response too. But it was never going to last forever. I'm not going to get political. Go back and look at the Black Death. We remember the one village that sacrificed themselves in lockdown because they were a singular exception. Meanwhile in some cities people decided if they were going to die they might as well party first. Similar reactions to today.

But before despairing let's remember for a couple of months almost everyone did behave themselves. There are other contributing factors to the gradual disintegration of lockdown, I'm sure they will occur to you without me listing them and thereby flouting the no politics rules.

You are missing the point of the NZ rise in cases - the country is getting their people back from overseas who have been made redundant, are sick of living overseas, and want to come home. Being Covid-free was never going to last forever. What the country needs to do is to ensure isolation works. It dropped the ball on the first of the new cases.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm a bus user. I've seen quite a few passengers take down their masks once they're seated .
Personally I use a scarf -I've got lots.Recently a bloke got on and said"Oh! It's the Lone Ranger!" :D

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I'm a bus user. I've seen quite a few passengers take down their masks once they're seated .
Personally I use a scarf -I've got lots.Recently a bloke got on and said"Oh! It's the Lone Ranger!" :D
Have the drivers been wearing them? DIdn't see any wearing one today.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Booked a table for 4 of us at our favourite little Tapas bar, El Pulpo in Witham on Sunday. Saw the door open today and asked them to prepare an “order in advance” paella To go with the Tapas
It will likely be a costly night but if we want these little independents to survive after the pandemic we have to stick our hands in our pockets.
Use them or lose them, and with the bar closed to those only wanting a drink and the occasional tapa their takings will be well down.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Some do some don't. I don't think it's compulsory for drivers.
I was rather confused by it but here is the answer given on the Stagecoach website.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/help-and-contact/national/face-coverings-faqs

Q. Will your drivers wear a face covering?
A. Our drivers have a protective screen that acts as a barrier so don't need to wear a face covering. If the driver needs to leave their cab to help a customer, they must wear a face covering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
In our (small) town, it can go either ways. We live in a small seaside resort, popular with walkers and caravanners.
It might work or it might be incredibly stupid.
Since non-essential shops opened, we have had increased visitor numbers but nothing like the usual. The weather really does make a difference.
Now, the town may be filled in the evening with weekenders demanding their right to go back to normal, but the few local pubs have put in recommended guidelines. Nearly all* have booking and table-service insisted.
The only trouble I think we may have are those idiots who want - nay, demand - to go from one pub to another and it kicking off when they get told no!

I've booked a time in my local. 1) I've now got my FT to read; 2) I support local business when I can; 3) I'm so much a 'regular' in there, I've a tankard kept behind the bar; and 4) I'm not scared of owt that can be thrown at me in this town - I've been in far worse!

*There's at least one I suspect really couldn't care at all. The phrase 'not picky' is an understatement; more like 'sink trap'.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The reason being to stop them opening at a second after midnight tonight. Though there will be the odd knob who will open at 06.00, most will be maintaining their usual (and likely licensed) hours.

'Spoons may be open for breakfast as per pre-lockdown, for those desperate.

Swifty

Reaction score
I live in America, so I figured my exposure was only a matter of when not if. If it gets me then you can look for pictures of me in the ghosts forum ;)
We all deserve better than 'fingers crossed' .. I'm starting to feel angry towards members of the public who are going to go to pubs/bars/restaurants/airports/now .. they'll be the first to run for medical help if they get infected of course.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We all deserve better than 'fingers crossed' .. I'm starting to feel angry towards members of the public who are going to go to pubs/bars/restaurants/airports/now .. they'll be the first to run for medical help if they get infected of course.
We have to remember that this "flattening the curve" had nothing to do with c19 not spreading. Until there's a vaccine it will spread and everyone will be infected. The entire point of staying at home (known in NY as "the pause") was to slow down the flow to the hospitals so they had time to treat people. Which in parts of the US now they do. And in parts not so good at flattening they don't .

Swifty

Reaction score
We have to remember that this "flattening the curve" had nothing to do with c19 not spreading. Until there's a vaccine it will spread and everyone will be infected. The entire point of staying at home (known in NY as "the pause") was to slow down the flow to the hospitals so they had time to treat people. Which in parts of the US now they do. And in parts not so good at flattening they don't .
I agree .. it's all been like driving a car so to speak, knowing when to take your foot on and off an accelerator and when to change gears to give the medical and key workers room to breath.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I do a regular 10/12 mile bike ride, on and off-road, which I can vary to take in or avoid two town centres. Today I took the town centres route to see how the 'opening up' process was going.

Everything looks normal apart from long queues outside barber shops. I saw three - THREE - people in masks. One was upstairs on a bus wearing a hi-viz jacket so he was probably a transport worker or maybe on his way to work.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)

Ogdred Weary

Drag Queen of Dragons
Reaction score
The reason being to stop them opening at a second after midnight tonight. Though there will be the odd knob who will open at 06.00, most will be maintaining their usual (and likely licensed) hours.

Some chains have said they they may be staggering the openings of their pubs. It may not be the crazy free for all that many fear.

Posted from my local, where I have been drinking since 6.15am. I have to go now, there's a bloke over there who has been looking at me funny...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Posted from my local, where I have been drinking since 6.15am. I have to go now, there's a bloke over there who has been looking at me funny...
He might be wondering why you're wearing that plague doctor outfit.

Swifty

Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous, Myth. I wouldn't wear my plague doctor suit to the pub, how would I sup?

I'm wearing a tutu, deely boppers and a cheerful smile.
Couldn't find your sequined boob tube then?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Talk about bad luck..

Car smashes into pub hours before reopening

A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving and taking a vehicle without consent.

The teenager and two other 17 year olds were treated at hospital for minor injuries before being discharged, Kent Police said.

Mr Perkins said: "We spent weeks getting the pub ready to open today and eight hours before we are due to open, this happens. How much bad luck can we have?"

Landlady Ann Perkins said she heard an "horrendous noise and the actual floor in our bedroom dropped".

The couple went downstairs to find "the car parked in the pub, with three youths in it" and the air thick with "smoke and dust from rubble," she said.

While the interior of the pub is likely to remain closed for many months, Mr Perkins said the "show must go on" and they have opened to customers using marquees in the pub garden.

Mrs Perkins said neighbours in the village of Little Chart had provided "incredible" support, delivering flowers and helping to clean the bar and glassware.

Landlady Ann Perkins