COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This man's compliance with hand sanitizing protocols resulted in a trip to the emergency room ...
How hand sanitizer caused a man's unusual 'hangover'

A man's medication for alcohol dependence caused him to have a strange reaction to hand sanitizer, according to a new report of the case.

The 43-year-old man was visiting his bank when he began experiencing what looked like an allergic reaction — he suddenly became flushed, nauseated and uneasy. His symptoms started after he had applied hand sanitizer to his hands when he arrived at the bank, to follow the rules that were in place for the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the report, published in the July issue of the journal Alcohol and Alcoholism.

The man was rushed to the emergency room, where he was found to have a fast heartbeat, or tachycardia, along with redness on his chest and face.

For three years, the man had been taking disulfiram, a medication to treat alcohol abuse that causes hangover-like effects — including flushing, headache, nausea, vomiting and fast heart rate — almost immediately after consuming alcohol. The drug causes these unpleasant side effects, which typically last about an hour, to deter people from drinking; and the man said he had abstained from alcohol for three years.

Because exposure to even small amounts of alcohol can trigger a reaction, people taking disulfiram are warned not to use alcohol-containing products, such as some sauces, vinegars, cough syrups and mouth washes; and to avoid breathing in fumes that may contain alcohol, such as from paint thinner or varnish, according to the Mayo Clinic. Hand sanitizers typically contain 60% to 70% alcohol, and should also be avoided, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/hand-sanitizer-alcohol-reaction-disulfiram.html

Eyespy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The hand sanitiser currently dispensed at work has a distinct "boozy" smell. I find it reminiscent of the 3 euro brandy my father favours or the scented candle lurking behind the bar, others are suggesting " pub carpet, cheap prossecco, alcopops or Christmas party left overs.

Aside from concerns about the purchasing team methodology, this is a revealing insight into the workforce

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
In France :

"My aim is to prepare France for a possible second wave while preserving our daily life, our economic and social life," new Prime Minister Jean Castex said in an interview on RTL television.

"But we're not going to impose a lockdown like the one we did last March, because we've learned... that the economic and human consequences from a total lockdown are disastrous," he said.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I don't even have words for this..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53341771

Despite the virus shutting businesses across the globe, a number of plastic surgery clinics have remained open, adopting stricter measures such as Covid-19 tests and more frequent cleaning.

Clinics in the US, Japan, South Korea and Australia have all seen a rise in patients coming in for treatment including lip fillers, botox, face lifts and nose jobs.

"I decided to get procedures done during quarantine because it allowed me to heal at my own pace," Aaron Hernandez, who had lip fillers and buccal (cheek) fat removal in Los Angeles, told the BBC.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It does make some sense, so that any scarring or otherwise will be gone by the time you return to work.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Meanwhile people are not getting treatment or diagnosis for cancer, heart attacks etc. I am sure there is a very long list. Crazy world. :crazy:

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Likely because they are relying on public health care, whereas the plastic surgeries are private.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I have been in touch with friends in Melbourne Australia. There is ample evidence that the Muslim population broke quarantine protocols at the quarantine hotels and then spread the disease to Al-Taqua college and public housing high rise blocks. According to local authorities, to say such a thing would be Islamophobic, and the Muslim population are not deliberately infecting people as part of a low level terror plot. There is however a known path of community spread in Melbourne that is unequivocally linked back to the Muslim population breaking quarantine protocols.
That's not because they're Muslim, it's because they're arseholes. Loads of non Muslim people are acting like nothing is wrong in Cromer at the moment. They're all arseholes as well.

SkepticalX

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
They've gone to mandatory masks in several counties near me. This was done because they have allegedly experienced a "spike" in the number of new cases, but no one has ever explained the definition of a "spike." I think it is purely a media term, which really means "we had more cases this week than last week." It's sickening that the local news people can barely conceal their glee. Another week when they can be lazy and just talk about Covid ad nauseum.

I hate to be so mistrustful of the information coming out about this but I have become suspicious of every "fact" and statistic, regardless of the source. It may well be that the experts are still in the dark and providing only educated guesses. Still, the confusion and uncertainty are almost certainly being parlayed for political advantage.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
The hand sanitiser currently dispensed at work has a distinct "boozy" smell. I find it reminiscent of the 3 euro brandy my father favours or the scented candle lurking behind the bar, others are suggesting " pub carpet, cheap prossecco, alcopops or Christmas party left overs.
We have to use face shields at work. The incoming 'rush'of vapour we get from every hand-clean with the alcohol sanitiser is a nice way to get us through the day until we close up and can have a stiffening drink. ;)

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Someone has put some strawberry scented hand sanitiser in the ladies loo at work. The drawback to this is you can tell when someones just been to the toilet 'cos they smell of fruity.

Swifty

Reaction score
We have to use face shields at work. The incoming 'rush'of vapour we get from every hand-clean with the alcohol sanitiser is a nice way to get us through the day until we close up and can have a stiffening drink. ;)
Or more honestly you can use face shields at work until you close then you have to have a stiffening drink. Be honest man.

Swifty

Reaction score
I know I'm fighting a losing cause .. I've been writing to my Sister ..

They're just human guniea pigs aren't they? .. it's so bloody obvious .. if they had a brain, they'd be kicking off that the pubs are re opening .. instead the morons are celebrating? .. it's like the pied piper of fucking Hamlin ..

Those twats all sitting together in pubs at the moment .. they do my head in .. it's like that bit in JAWS when they all go back in the water even though the shark is still there .. grrr
.. and it's not like they're only risking themselves ...

For them, the last few months have been a harrowing choice between Netflix or Facebook. Pricks.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, given almost no clues about methodology used in the underlying survey ... American Addiction Centers offers a table illustrating the number of hours each state's drinking residents were estimated to have been drunk during lockdown.
The average adult spent 172 hours drunk during lockdown
July 7, 2020

The table below shows how many hours each state spent drunk in lockdown, based on an average of 11 weeks spent in lockdown across the US. ...
FULL STORY: https://americanaddictioncenters.org/blog/drunk-during-lockdown

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Werl, I didn't want to say ...

To be honest, one of the perks of owning your own firm is that you can drink at work - within reason, of course. In over a year in business, I can honestly declare I've never been drunk serving the public.
Close shaves, possibly, considering how thick some can be.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
... instead the morons are celebrating? ... it's like the pied piper of fuking Hamlin ...
Not exactly ... The Pied Piper led all the willing victims out of town to isolate en masse. :roll:

Swifty

Reaction score
Not exactly ... The Pied Piper led all the willing victims out of town to isolate en masse. :roll:
The only click- ometers I've been supervising are the ones that count how many in and how many out of the store if we're talking about regulating numbers of people. Because the threat is still present.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Swifty

Reaction score
In over a year in business, I can honestly declare I've never been drunk serving the public.
For me in over 30 years of bar work serving the public? .. "honestly declare"? .. bullshit Stormkhan .. OK, you've never been legless drunk but I refuse to believe you've never still been on duty and drank alcohol with a customer and got a little drunk .. sorry but that's just the way it is in our line of work. It always has been and it always will be unless you don't drink at all.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I'm not working in a bar. Nor - actually - have I worked in a bar.
"Our line of work" might be a bit different. ;)

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Ah the smell of megacorp income influencing political decision-making!
I wonder what cartoon they'll make of the "story" of a world-affecting pandemic that they can puke out onto their own streaming service.
Sammy Pepys - Diarist?
Cholera - the musical?

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Some nasty stuff.

A bus driver in the south-west of France has been left brain dead after reportedly being attacked by passengers who refused to wear face masks.

The driver in Bayonne had refused to allow several people - who had no tickets and were not wearing masks - to board the bus on Sunday night, a police source told AFP news agency. The man, who is in his 50s, sustained serious head injuries after being punched. He was declared brain dead on Monday.

Face masks are mandatory on public transport in France.

According to France Bleu, a number of people have been arrested. Union sources told the local radio station that the driver had attempted to prevent the group from bringing a dog on board.

Regional bus services have been disrupted as drivers refuse to work following the incident.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53309424
Unfortunately the gentleman has now died, according to BBC news https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53367432

A bus driver has died in France, five days after he was attacked by passengers who reportedly refused to wear face masks, his family says.

Philippe Monguillot, aged 59, had been left brain dead after the assault in the south-western city of Bayonne.

"We decided to let him go," his daughter Marie told AFP news agency, saying doctors had agreed.

Two men in their 20s were arrested and charged with attempted murder after the assault late on Sunday.

Two other men were charged with failing to help a person in danger while a fifth man was charged with attempting to hide a suspect.

Mr Monguillot was set upon after he reportedly asked three of the men to put on face masks and also tried to check another man's ticket.

Face masks are mandatory on public transport in France.

Swifty

Reaction score
I'm not working in a bar. Nor - actually - have I worked in a bar.
"Our line of work" might be a bit different. ;)
You're missing out .. except at the moment .. you're definitely not missing out at the moment.

Swifty

Reaction score
I want to go back into it .. they won't let me because I've been signed off after my TIA, I've been phoning them .. that's seriously getting under my skin at the moment, It'll annoy me even more when my Sister (who's also been short term signed off) gets back into the punch up, I don't want her to beat my record .. we're fighting an invisible enemy with techniques to keep this as slow as possible until a vaccine can work ... and wankers are going down the pub in the mean time ..

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
In France :

"My aim is to prepare France for a possible second wave while preserving our daily life, our economic and social life," new Prime Minister Jean Castex said in an interview on RTL television.

"But we're not going to impose a lockdown like the one we did last March, because we've learned... that the economic and human consequences from a total lockdown are disastrous," he said.
From a US perspective:

"In a new working paper, I and a team of health economists from U.S. universities set out to answer that question from a humanitarian perspective. To do that, we reviewed the latest data and scientific research about the virus to evaluate the number of lives saved if public health measures remain in place. We also reviewed economic studies looking at deaths caused by past restrictions of economic activity to assess the number of lives that could be lost if those measures trigger an extended economic recession.

We estimate that by the end of 2020, public health measures to mitigate COVID-19, including shelter-in-place orders, school and business closures, social distancing and face mask recommendations, would save between 900,000 and 2.7 million lives in the U.S. The economic downturn and loss of income from shelter-in-place measures and other restrictions on economic activity could contribute to between 50,400 and 323,000 deaths, based on an economic decline of 8%-14%.

Counting lives alone, we conclude that the public health measures to stop the spread of COVID-19 are justified and in the best interest of our society"

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3638575

https://theconversation.com/is-the-...-disease-heres-what-our-research-found-141700

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I have been in touch with friends in Melbourne Australia. There is ample evidence that the Muslim population broke quarantine protocols at the quarantine hotels and then spread the disease to Al-Taqua college and public housing high rise blocks. According to local authorities, to say such a thing would be Islamophobic, and the Muslim population are not deliberately infecting people as part of a low level terror plot. There is however a known path of community spread in Melbourne that is unequivocally linked back to the Muslim population breaking quarantine protocols.
And there are lots of WASP's in the US, Aussie and the UK doing exactly the same thing, so what your point?

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
And there are lots of WASP's in the US, Aussie and the UK doing exactly the same thing, so what your point?
Perhaps that is the case in the UK, but not in Victoria Australia atm. The point is, there is a high chance that the behavior is deliberate. A sort of low level, deniable form of biological terrorism.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
We went to Morrison's café this morning and had to fill out a track and trace form to get served.
I get the reason, but there's no way I'm handing my details out to what is in effect a random stranger, so I'm avoiding these places.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I get the reason, but there's no way I'm handing my details out to what is in effect a random stranger, so I'm avoiding these places.
Yes, it seems like a stalkers charter to me. I don't think I would be happy to do it.