COVID-19: Non-Medical Effects (Responses; Disruptions; Etc.)

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Perhaps that is the case in the UK, but not in Victoria Australia atm. The point is, there is a high chance that the behavior is deliberate. A sort of low level, deniable form of biological terrorism.
Unlikely. The simple explanation is usually the best. The problem in the Victoria housing projects is very likely to be high population density, large households in small apartments, and a higher proportion of people who have to go out to work, just as elsewhere. In the US there has been a particular and deliberate problem with larger churches of primitive Christians who believe that god wants them to go out and pray and sing loudly together in large groups even when he has sent a serious communicable disease. It would all be fine if they then went home in a group and lived in a group but unfortunately they don't.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
If you don't support the concept of track 'n' trace because of security fears then you have two choices:
Don't go anywhere that asks for your details or give false details. The first choice, admittedly, is the most sensible.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I get the reason, but there's no way I'm handing my details out to what is in effect a random stranger, so I'm avoiding these places.
So muggins here (me) then sits in his house for 2 weeks under house arrest because 'virus, what virus? .. PUB!!' boy had to go to the café the next morning ... and I obey .. then virus what virus goes to the pub again anyway the next night (and boasts about it probably) ? ... leaving aside the childish argument that that isn't fair, it's also unworkable unless virus what virus is tagged (because he's already proved himself to be an irresponsible prick) and that aint going to happen. So I switch a few digits around in my phone number.

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
There's also a factor that now we're all being officially encouraged to wear face masks in shops etc (which I agree with), people robbing shops will probably now also increase.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Just FYI be aware that in England (at least) there's a sizable minority of people not required to wear face-coverings for several reasons (health, age, mental capacity, safety, disability, phobias/distress) so some or several people not doing so may well be exempt. The national bus & rail companies are producing cards for passengers to show to staff for example from TfL here: https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/face-coverings#on-this-page-2

Other people who may have been thought to have had an easy time during lockdown & the restrictions may actually be just holding it together. In some cases their physical/mental wellbeing outweighs the risks from c-19 (and I don't mean being thirsty for a pint dahn the boozer). So just being with other loved ones or being out & about makes all the difference. I can't judge them, I am in some aspects one of them.

I'm still steering clear of the bus at the moment as I really cannot abide anything covering my face. I've had anaesthetists micropore tape an O2 mask to my phizzog just to try to stop me ripping it off whilst going under/coming around, the discomfort is that strong. I once woke up with a nurse holding an O2 nasal tube in place up me nostrils. She said "you really don't like anything on your face, do you?!" after I prewarned her before going under - apparently I'd subconciously just torn off the normal oxygen plastic mask every time they'd put it on ( I have no memory of it!).

So no flights or train trips for me either until I can do so without a mask. But I'm going to the seaside tomorrow to go fishing and eat chips, sat by the harbour. It's a risk that's worth taking.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just FYI be aware that in England (at least) there's a sizable minority of people not required to wear face-coverings for several reasons (health, age, mental capacity, safety, disability, phobias/distress) so some or several people not doing so may well be exempt. The national bus & rail companies are producing cards for passengers to show to staff for example from TfL here: https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/face-coverings#on-this-page-2

Other people who may have been thought to have had an easy time during lockdown & the restrictions may actually be just holding it together. In some cases their physical/mental wellbeing outweighs the risks from c-19 (and I don't mean being thirsty for a pint dahn the boozer). So just being with other loved ones or being out & about makes all the difference. I can't judge them, I am in some aspects one of them.

I'm still steering clear of the bus at the moment as I really cannot abide anything covering my face. I've had anaesthetists micropore tape an O2 mask to my phizzog just to try to stop me ripping it off whilst going under/coming around, the discomfort is that strong. I once woke up with a nurse holding an O2 nasal tube in place up me nostrils. She said "you really don't like anything on your face, do you?!" after I prewarned her before going under - apparently I'd subconciously just torn off the normal oxygen plastic mask every time they'd put it on ( I have no memory of it!).

So no flights or train trips for me either until I can do so without a mask. But I'm going to the seaside tomorrow to go fishing and eat chips, sat by the harbour. It's a risk that's worth taking.
wow sorry to read about your troubles. Enjoy the fishing and chips.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
wow sorry to read about your troubles. Enjoy the fishing and chips.
I'm doing OK, but sometimes the judging of others pees me right off.

Also the lack of my normal exercise (I'm disabled so can't walk/cycle miles at a time) isn't doing me any favours at the mo. Living this small fraction of a 'good life' isn't outweighed by the risk of c-19 to me - although I'm careful not to put others at risk as much as possible hence no mass transport and frivolous shopping trips for me.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The first tine I wore an anti-microbial cloth mask back in April I wondered if I could keep doing so.
I found it a bit hot and weird.
But I barely notice it now, even on long walks or trip to the supermarket.
It is very different from wearing an oxygen mask or even an N95/FFP2 type respirator mask.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well as it looks as though face coverings will soon be mandatory in shops in england. I've tried all the tricks to stop my glasses misting up so i guess i'm going to have to get one of these
Venetian-Masks_Colombina-Stick_Full-Face-Silver-Macram-Stick.jpg

And if people get too close i'll smack em in the head with it!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Cheerful news of the week, i did a phone consult with my pulmonologist yesterday to try to determine just how risky I really am because other doc appointments that i would normallg schedule are backing up. Her advice was get them in now because there's a window of opportunity.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Lb8535: You can go give out free hugs in the main street. That should get you sick in no time.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Words fail me.

A blogger in Tunisia has been sentenced to six months in prison after sharing a satirical post about Covid-19 written in the form of a verse from the Koran.

Emna Charqui, 28, was arrested in May for sharing a message on Facebook urging people to follow hygiene rules in the style of Islam's holy book. Charqui said in a recent interview that she had no intention of provoking shock, but found the post amusing. She was found guilty in a Tunis court of "inciting hatred between religions".nShe is not yet in custody as she intends to file an appeal.

On 2 May, Charqui shared a post on social media mimicking a Koranic verse. In it, the text called for people to wash their hands and observe social distancing in response to the coronavirus pandemic. The image was reportedly designed and originally shared by an Algerian atheist who lives in France. Charqui's post appeared during the fasting month of Ramadan and while Tunisia was still largely under lockdown.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53408262

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted, I couldn't find it. People have been very interested in the difference in response between Sweden and most of the rest of the world, reckoning that it's economy would emerge unscathed. Well it turns out that there is very little difference between it and its neighbours who took very early and aggressive lockdowns. And it is actually doing worse than Norway. And of course there is a large difference in the number of deaths.

Rather long but very interesting article in the New York Times. I hope the link works okay.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/business/sweden-economy-coronavirus.html?

Sweden’s central bank expects its economy to contract by 4.5 percent this year, a revision from a previously expected gain of 1.3 percent. The unemployment rate jumped to 9 percent in May from 7.1 percent in March. “The overall damage to the economy means the recovery will be protracted, with unemployment remaining elevated,” Oxford Economics concluded in a recent research note.

This is more or less how damage caused by the pandemic has played out in Denmark, where the central bank expects that the economy will shrink 4.1 percent this year, and where joblessness has edged up to 5.6 percent in May from 4.1 percent in March.

In short, Sweden suffered a vastly higher death rate while failing to collect on the expected economic gains.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Michigan face mask row ends in fatal police shooting
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53411850

Good grief. The policewoman's bodycam shows the guy lunging at her with 2 knives in one hand & a screwdriver in the other. She has to unjam her pistol as he nearly reaches her.

I can't find any sympathy for someone who stabs a 77 year old then attacks a policewoman, all over a feckin mask. Good riddance.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The global campaigns to develop a COVID-19 vaccine have become targets for hackers, who are apparently seeking to steal data rather than interfere with the various R&D efforts underway.
UK, US, Canada accuse Russia of hacking virus vaccine trials

Britain, the United States and Canada accused Russian hackers on Thursday of trying to steal information from researchers seeking a coronavirus vaccine, warning scientists and pharmaceutical companies to be alert for suspicious activity.

Intelligence agencies in the three nations alleged that the hacking group APT29, also known as Cozy Bear and said to be part of the Russian intelligence services, is attacking academic and pharmaceutical research institutions involved in COVID-19 vaccine development.

“It is completely unacceptable that the Russian Intelligence Services are targeting those working to combat the coronavirus pandemic,″ British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said in a statement, accusing Moscow of pursuing “selfish interests with reckless behavior.”

ADVERTISEMENT
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, rejected the British accusations, saying: “We don’t have information about who may have hacked pharmaceutical companies and research centers in Britain.”

“We may say one thing: Russia has nothing to do with those attempts,” Peskov said, according to the state news agency Tass.

The persistent and ongoing attacks are seen by intelligence officials as an effort to steal intellectual property, rather than to disrupt research. The campaign of “malicious activity″ is ongoing and includes attacks “predominantly against government, diplomatic, think tank, health care and energy targets,″ Britain’s National Cyber Security Centre said in a statement. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/47797e89ddb470b3244fae3a799481c5

See Also:
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...ID-19-vaccine-data-experts-say/3651594907422/

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Coronavirus: Spain orders culling of almost 100,000 mink

Uncertainty whether animal to human infection possible or vice versa. Factory farming involved.

Almost 100,000 mink at a farm in north-eastern Spain are to be culled after many of them tested positive for coronavirus, health authorities say.

The outbreak in Aragon province was discovered after a farm employee's wife contracted the virus in May.

Her husband and six other farm workers have since tested positive for the disease.

The mink, bred for their prized fur, were isolated and monitored closely after the workers became infected.

But when tests on 13 July showed that 87% of the mink were infected, health authorities ordered for all 92,700 of the semi-aquatic animals to be culled.

There have been other cases of workers testing positive for coronavirus at mink farms in Denmark and the Netherlands, both major producers of the animal's fur.

In the Netherlands, tens of thousands of mink have been slaughtered in recent months after outbreaks were discovered at farms across the country.