COVID-19 Precognition & 'The Lockdown': Did YOU Sense This Was Going To Happen?

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
I feel it's unavoidable that this question gets asked, here, on this particular forum.

Did the scale and style of change in our current personal circumstances succeed in warning us, as individuals, in any peculiar predictive way?

Back when all of this hadn't yet happened, did any of us do any long-term unconscious prepping? Or have any deep unfocussed feeling of dread, that could be said to have anticipated the enormity of change we now see ourselves faced with (nomatter what that means at the level of the individual).

In so many ways: if ever there was to have been an absolute test of that most indefinable of 'special' powers....did any of us feel that this was subtly foretold to them?

I personally *might* have had some odd/ill-defined instincts operating, that prepared me (slightly) to prepare.

I will say (surpressing at least some of my personal hindsight & confirmation bias) that perhaps I am not as surprised that things now look the way they are, than I should be.

Maybe I just mean by a tiny fraction of a percent. That's in no way saying I've got full-blown deja vu, nor that this is all happening the way some January nightmare said it would. But I can't shake off the tiny impression that (somehow) this all seems slightly, self-fulfillingly...more familiar than it should.

And I'm wondering: is that in any way a shared subliminal experience...?

Did you receive any kind of preface prophetic whisper of this? Something or some things that subtly set you readier for this than otherwise you might've been?

We're faced with an ongoing collective major global strangeness, irrespective of its confimed peak impact & outcome. Perhaps no previous set of events has ever been so universally-experienced and/or applied, to Us, a sentient interconnected species.

Did you somehow hear or feel the distant 'rumbles' of our new normality? I'd be intrigued if you did...and maybe also if you didn't.

EDIT
(nb I'm probably a really-bad example of a test subject for commenting upon such a set of possible circumstances, because my own daily life is so constantly-challenging....what I'm really looking for are 'canaries in the coalmine' type individuals, who live their lives at more-conventional paces and modes than I)

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, no.

A zoonotic epidemic was at the back of my mind, but only as one possibility among others and certainly not in any psychic sense.

If you'd told me a major world-changing event was coming, I would have predicted a regional war, an earthquake, a new terrorism threat or a high-level assassination before this.

Although we've seen some asinine behaviour, I'm surprised there hasn't been very much violence yet. A lot of people today live--mentally speaking--on the edge, and an event like this is the equivalent of any number of supermoons or Ruby Ridges.

I expect to see some truly bizarre reactions as this societal lockdown grinds on into weeks. I'm thinking here of not just violence between neighbours and people streaking down the road, but more of the kind we saw with the engine-driver attempting to crash his train into the hospital ship in New York. A lot of people were scarcely equipped to deal with modern life before this snow-globe shaking took place; I'm certain that we are going to see some truly spectacular reactions in the coming months.

As to conspiracies, if it is one, it has nothing to do with the establishment and/or elected officials as they have proved themselves to be absolutely useless at responding to it--and even at protecting themselves personally from the fallout.

As personal point, I haven't yet been under any compulsory lockdown, but, even so, the people around me have been decidedly twitchy.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Not as such but I have had awful difficulty writing the date. When the new year comes, I might accidentally write the previous year once or twice by accident but this year I have done it constantly and even when I do it right, I sit there staring at it because it still looks wrong. It was as if I had some sort of problem with the whole concept of 2020. Don't remember this with 2010 or 2000. Anyone else?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yup, I have been stocking and hoarding more for a couple of years. This is partly because that's what I do, having learned to keep food etc in when bringing up a family. Hadn't actually hidden food around the house until quite recently though.

I've openly joked about this, saying that a couple of years ago Techy and I had a dose of some cold-type bug that kept coming back. We were so ill we couldn't shop and were reduced to raiding a box of tinned food I'd bought from a car boot sale and parked in the shed. The new stepped-up food hoarding was an extension of this.

The hand gel hoarding was also prescient. I like to have clean hands and my previous jobs were all about hand-hygiene so I'd carry gel at work and when out and would buy enough to have a bottle in every coat/handbag/rucksack etc and in the car, shed etc.
Every drawer I open at home seems to have some lurking.

Did some epidemiology at university and learned about public health and pandemics, and how dangerous a new type of infection can be.
(And yes, I know all about how 'herd immunity' is acquired and how disastrous that process is.)
So when I first heard that word, pandemic, in relation to Wuhan I thought 'Here it comes.'

Also, the collective unconscious has been hard at work to warn us. Artists know what's coming. We should have listened. Maybe some of us did.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, not at all.

And I'm always circumspect of answers to questions like this, as I think there's a tendency among many people to backdated Cassandraism (?...yeah, okay - but I've not had coffee yet and can't think of a better description). Very common on the tinfoil end of the conspiracy spectrum.

My immediate response to this kind of thing tends to be a pastiche of Peter Cook:

You know, it 's weird, I had a feeling all day long that this was going to happen.

Wow, that's soooo weird - neither did I.

Last edited:

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I personally *might* have had some odd/ill-defined instincts operating, that prepared me (slightly) to prepare.
I would have said that I am always prepared ( I can even make my own soap although I have never come across a recipe for toilet paper) but now that you come to mention it, I have made rather more of a "thing" of buying stuff in advance of when I need it these last few months. Getting new toothpaste, deodorant etc as soon as I open a new one and so on. Normally I would wait until I was getting close to finished. Lucky as the shop when I normally buy these things has closed although I could get them from the Coop at a larger price.

What did your subliminal prepping consist of?

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, not at all.

And I'm always circumspect of answers to questions like this, as I think there's a tendency among many people to backdated Cassandraism (?...yeah, okay - but I've not had coffee yet and can't think of a better description). Very common on the tinfoil end of the conspiracy spectrum.

My immediate response to anything tends to be a pastiche of Peter Cook:

You know, it 's weird, I had a feeling all day long that this was going to happen.

Wow, that's soooo weird - neither did I.
Well probably but I much prefer the precognition thing. :cool2:

I am really interested to hear what other people have to say about this. :)

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Well probably but I much prefer the precognition thing. :cool2:

I am really interested to hear what other people have to say about this. :)
I should add that I don't believe it to be a universal truth - I'm not that much of a sceptic.

I tend to treat it in the same way I do any ghost story which starts off with the statement, 'I've always been a bit psychic' (and I'm not someone who necessarily discounts the idea of being 'psychic', or - as anyone who knows me here will probably know already - ghosts).

Reaction score
Not as such but I have had awful difficulty writing the date. When the new year comes, I might accidentally write the previous year once or twice by accident but this year I have done it constantly and even when I do it right, I sit there staring at it because it still looks wrong. It was as if I had some sort of problem with the whole concept of 2020. Don't remember this with 2010 or 2000. Anyone else?

I keep a handwritten journal and have had problems writing 2020. I like to keep it as neat as possible but every time I write the date it looks like 2o2o.

As to the OP - No. It's been a complete surprise to me. The first mention I gave it in my diary was the 12th of March when I took the car for its MOT. I noted the hand gel on each desk and the girl who dealt with me coughed into the crook of her elbow.
Before this date I was writing dull entries concerning bread-making, the weather and various birds I'd spotted in the garden. Actually, I'm still writing the dull stuff but it's now spiced up with liberal doses of dystopian horror. :D

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
In response to Escargot's post.

I suppose it's important to differentiate between entertaining the the broader probability of something like this happening. (Yes.)

And the particular specifics of this particular epidemic. (No).
Yes, I did think there would be a pandemic. Nothing psychic about it, I did it at university. They have occurred before.

We had lucky escapes with SARS and MERS. It was only a matter of time before an even more virulent virus arose.

Keeping up with news about health and science (in broadsheet newspapers and reputable online sources) brought this home to me. One of the dangers that's often mentioned is the practice of taking varieties of live animals, not all domestic, to markets for slaughter instead of processing them in special premises and selling the meat. Cross-infection was bound to happen.

Modern public health agencies are supposed to constantly update their contingency plans and supplies to protect us. Trouble is, we, Joe Public, don't believe there's a danger of it any more. The old epidemic diseases have been wiped out, at least in the developed world, through a combination of improved pubic health and vaccination. New ones seem to affect people in faraway places, not us.

I was taught at school 50 years ago that epidemics are a thing of the past. That's why we have the anti-vaccination brigade: they haven't seen a true epidemic for themselves. Well, they will now.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
...That's why we have the anti-vaccination brigade: they haven't seen a true epidemic for themselves. Well, they will now.
Unfortunately - although I'd like to think that the current unpleasantness might result in a change of attitude - I think that many who buy into a conspiracy tend to react to the undermining of that conspiracy with the application of another. It's probably already happening.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I didn't foresee an epidemic at all, although I was conscious of the various diseases that nearly made it out into the wide world (Ebola had me pretty scared for a while). My preparations were not that much more than the common sense expectation of a transition period when the UK finally left the EU. I figured there'd be a month or so of logistics disruption as the supply chains readjusted themselves, so I gradually accumulated enough supplies to last me a month. I wish I'd done more, now. Having said that, I don't need to buy any toilet paper for a while...so I'm good. :)

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
That's why we have the anti-vaccination brigade: they haven't seen a true epidemic for themselves. Well, they will now.
I'm not seeing how the advent of an unforeseen disease with no available vaccine will alter their ideas. After all, last year the UK's "ordinary flu" vaccination scheme had an average efficiency of only 15%. (Among the elderly, those most at risk from COVID-19, that number dropped to a dismal 10.1%).

If the antis think that the vaccine is:

a) Contaminated with space lizards/red kryptonite/NWO/da Jooz, and;

b) It's only 15% effective anyway...

maximus otter

Last edited:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Also, the collective unconscious has been hard at work to warn us. Artists know what's coming. We should have listened. Maybe some of us did.
Bearing that in mind, have we noticed, through the wonders of hindsight, anything in the creative arts that might pre-reference the current state of affairs?

Songs about a virus or mentioning self-isolation?
Paintings/pictures of empty places or people sheltering?
Books with a similar subject?
etc etc?

Also, looking at the more 'out there' stuff like Nostradamus, dream interpretations, fortune telling, astrology etc etc?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Bearing that in mind, have we noticed, through the wonders of hindsight, anything in the creative arts that might pre-reference the current state of affairs?

Songs about a virus or mentioning self-isolation?
Paintings/pictures of empty places or people sheltering?
Books with a similar subject?
etc etc?

Also, looking at the more 'out there' stuff like Nostradamus, dream interpretations, fortune telling, astrology etc etc?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Unfortunately - although I'd like to think that the current unpleasantness might result in a change of attitude - I think that many who buy into a conspiracy tend to react to the undermining of that conspiracy with the application of another. It's probably already happening.
Yes, but remember the measles outbreak in Swansea a few years ago? At the time only 67% of children were having the MMR vaccine after publicity about the fraudulent allegations that it caused autism.

When people started dying of measles emergency vaccinations were offered. The queue stretched round the block. I'd see that as learning a lesson. One can hope.

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Reaction score
A brilliant - and troubling -question.

Before the last few weeks I was mostly concerned about the onward march of hard right populism in Western Europe and America, about B****t in Britain and about Putin extending his powers even more in Russia. And I was bracing myself for an unpleasantly sweltering summer - courtesy of Global Warming - even though the previous summer had been notably cool.

As for a global pandemic....well, I had no inlklng of it coming. at all at all...Nil. Nada. Nowt. Nichivo.

I find that I am rather abashed and humbled by this as I have always considered myself to be an intuitive person and one somehow linked into the zeitgeist. Thus I somehow `felt` what was happening in the Eighties and then the Nineties - but this time I feel as if I have slipped into a totally different `timeline` - as though this is just not the way things are `meant` to be going - ala the `Mandela Effect.-(Just a feeling, mind you).

As for other people's predictions, I do find Sylvia Browne's predicition (discussed elsewhere on thsi site) to be pretty uncanny. Then again she made many a prophecy that didn't bear out - so maybe it was just a case of the Stopped Clock Being Sometimes Right Effect.

Some fans of the band Killing Joke have taken to claiming that Jaz Coleman - the gobby lead singer of that band - `predicted` all this. As far as I know this claim is just on the basis of the song `I Am The Virus` (shared on the Anthems for the Virus Year thread). But if you listen to the lyrics it's juat a jumble of conspiracy theories barked out with `I am the virus` as the chorus, so I'm not so convinced.

In Russia I can think of two candidates. Last November a high budget TV thriller serial was broadcast called Epidemia. Starring Kirril Karo (Of `The Sniffer` fame), this concerned a global pandemic. However, killer virus scenarios are a staple subgenre of disaster/SF thrillers, so it cou;ld just be a case of Russia catching up late with this type of story (just as they have with zombie apocalypses too).

The other candidate is the film Avanpost which I reviewed both in the horror film section here and in my blog ( which is linked below and in the Cinema section). This also came out last November. Now, the plot isn't about a pandemic - it;s a standard alien invasion yarn. The premise is that there is a power failue all over the world and only some parts of it are not affected. Onoe of these areas is Moscow (`avanpost` means outpost). Then the alien invasion starts and initially we can't see the aliens - they are invisble marauders and meanwhile everyone is going a bit crazy in the isolated city....

Anyway, when I saw it I was really struck by just how damned sombre and `real world` the film seemed - even to the point of finding it a bit distasteful (my reviews are a little sniffy) It was almost as if it was trying to forewarn us of something. I sense that this film has a presentiment of the feel of this crisis, although not the actual details.

All in all though, it's not looking very good for precognition, is it?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Another reply, not an argument! but we keep seeing pictures and videos online of people who don't believe it's happening, to the extent that they're licking airliner toilet seats and public grab-rails. There are religious leaders and politicians who also deny it. They all seem to acquire the virus and some die. That would be funny if they hadn't also probably infected others.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Intriguing we should mention this.

During January and February, when I was collecting prescriptions for myself and others, I repeatedly had this peculiar sense, when hand-writing the date, after signing the form.

When it came to writing the year, I seemed to hesitate, without any reasoning.

It was, in all honesty, as if I didn't want to see '2020'.

Thinking about this now, it would be reminiscent of having to write down a year which had unpleasant memories for you.

Weird, huh...?

No.

I go through the same thing every year.

It's simply that it takes myself ages to get used to the change. :)

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at some changes over the past few years with an ear to what my mother used to say. She used to work in a TB ward, knew the horror smallpox could cause and maintained there would always be another killer growing out there. A few other things pinged on my radar. TV shows featuring eating insects as part of our diet. The increase of features on Prepping. Of course Preppers don’t tell you they’re Preppers because when SHTF, you know they’ve got all the stuff.
in my own way, I was stocking up on things like torches, stoves, and even a survival straw in a bag somewhere. I always have half a tank of petrol in the car. I’ve pointed out we should be able to eat everything we grow in the garden. I don’t know whether this is sensible or undue paranoia.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at some changes over the past few years with an ear to what my mother used to say. She used to work in a TB ward, knew the horror smallpox could cause and maintained there would always be another killer growing out there. A few other things pinged on my radar. TV shows featuring eating insects as part of our diet. The increase of features on Prepping. Of course Preppers don’t tell you they’re Preppers because when SHTF, you know they’ve got all the stuff.
in my own way, I was stocking up on things like torches, stoves, and even a survival straw in a bag somewhere. I always have half a tank of petrol in the car. I’ve pointed out we should be able to eat everything we grow in the garden. I don’t know whether this is sensible or undue paranoia.
Your mother spoke truth. TB hasn't gone away. New strains of it are festering away ready to overwhelm us again.
There was a TB patient on a ward where I worked a few years go. She had the classic TB face - thin, staring eyes, paper-white skin stretched over protruding cheekbones - and was being barrier-nursed in a side room. Didn't look like she'd live five minutes. Your mother would know all about that!

Smallpox, that was eliminated in my own lifetime. The last case in the 'wild' was in 1977 and the WHO announced it extinct in 1980. What a massive, fantastic achievement, done with surveillance containment.

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
About 20 years ago, in the early stages of my Tokyo years, I went to the gym a lot.

I have a very clear memory of being on the running machine and having a sudden realisation that I would be alive when the long predicted "end-of-the-world" would come. It felt as if my body knew it had to train hard (ish) for the time when I'd have to fight for survival.

I haven't been to the gym for years so if I had to fight for my life now I think I'd give up fairly quickly but it's sobering to know that that prescient feeling that I'd be alive when "it" came to pass was right.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I can't say I had any premonitions of a virus.
However I have felt uneasy the last few months and have said that I hoped that there wouldn't be another world war.
I've also been buying essential items as soon as the one I have is opened, and have had the thought that if anything were to happen I have enough clothing etc.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Talking of tb a friend's nephew who is in the police told his father that they had been given injections for tb. So is it thought this might help with this virus? It was supposed to have been eradicated here.

Stella Gardiner

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Well, towards the end of last year I did have a dream which appears to have predicted the current situation, but I didn't see it that way at the time. At the time it was just another odd dream. Other than that I have been preparing for possible Brexit shambles and stockpiled some tinned goods and my prescriptions for a few months, and I've been wanting to work more from home for some time now, and was prepared for that.
Also - when the first scary reports came out of China I knew then it would be coming here too, even though everyone told me to stop worrying, I think I was right to worry. Oddly, I feel a lot calmer now that everyone seems to be on the same page - finally.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Talking of tb a friend's nephew who is in the police told his father that they had been given injections for tb. So is it thought this might help with this virus? It was supposed to have been eradicated here.
Here in the UK TB jabs stopped being given to adolescents soon after I had mine. In fact I've had several courses of it as it doesn't seem to 'take' with me. One of the reasons I left the care/nursing industry was a feeling that if TB came back with a vengeance I'd be vulnerable to it.

Last edited:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just as well escargot because a lot of healthcare professionals seem to be catching this virus now.