COVID-19 (Wuhan Coronavirus): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

A new virus and the Chinese authorities may be up to their usual trick of punishing whistle blowers.

Chinese authorities have launched an investigation into a mysterious viral pneumonia which has infected dozens of people in the central city of Wuhan.

A total of 44 cases have been confirmed so far, 11 of which are considered "severe", officials said on Friday. The outbreak has prompted Singapore and Hong Kong to bring in screening processes for travellers from the city. It comes amid online fears the virus could be linked to Sars, or severe acute respiratory syndrome.

The potentially deadly, flu-like Sars virus killed more than 700 people around the world in 2002-03, after originating in China.

There has been speculation on social media about a possible connection to the highly contagious disease.

Wuhan police said eight people had been punished for "publishing or forwarding false information on the internet without verification".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50984025

So it begins, can't really trust the news about the numbers falling.

Health authorities in the central Chinese city of Wuhan are reporting the first death from a new type of coronavirus.

The Wuhan Municipal Health Commission reported on Saturday that seven other people were in critical condition.

It said a total of 41 were suffering from pneumonia caused by a “preliminarily determined new type of coronavirus” as of Friday, down from the earlier figure of 59.

It said those were in stable condition and at least two had been released from a hospital.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...caused-by-new-type-of-coronavirus-974822.html

Doomed I tell ya ...

Thai authorities on Monday confirmed the first case outside China of a patient infected with the new virus behind the Wuhan pneumonia outbreak.

The woman, 61, identified as a Chinese tourist from the city in central Hubei province, has been receiving treatment in a hospital in Nonthaburi near Bangkok since January 8, but is now recovering, according to Bloomberg and Thai media outlets.

The news came as Hong Kong health officials on Monday arrived in Wuhan to gain first-hand knowledge of the disease, now known to be a new strain of coronavirus, which has infected at least 41 people in Wuhan and
killed one
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3045902/wuhan-pneumonia-thailand-confirms-first-case

And now it has reached Japan.

(CNN)Fears are mounting across Asia over the cross-border spread of a new coronavirus identified in China that has killed one patient and sickened dozens, as health authorities race to identify the source of the pathogen.

The new strain of coronavirus, in the same family as the deadly severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), originated in Wuhan, the largest city in central China. It was confirmed Thursday to have been detected in Japan, a few days after Thailand confirmed its first case of infection.

The outbreak has cast a shadow over Lunar New Year celebrations and put the rest of Asia on alert. Virologists around the world are now studying its genome sequence shared by Chinese researchers, but many questions still remain.

Researchers have yet to rule out the possibility that the virus could be transmitted from person to person, and on Wednesday, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a Watch Level 1 Alert -- the lowest of a three-tier travel health notices that warns visitors of Wuhan to "be aware and practice usual precautions."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/15/asia/wuhan-virus-questions-intl-hnk/index.html

Definitely Doomed.

A senior Chinese health official said Monday the new coronavirus strain that has left hundreds sick and at least three people dead can be transmitted by human-to-human contact, prompting concerns that it could spread far more quickly as hundreds of millions of people in China prepare to travel this week for Lunar New Year.

Zhong Nanshan, who is well-known in China for his work fighting Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, or SARS, in 2003, told China’s state-run Xinhua News Agency that two people had been infected with the coronavirus from family members. Chinese officials had said that at least 217 cases of the new virus had been reported as of Monday evening, predominantly in the city of Wuhan, where the first case was traced to a seafood market.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coro...e2664d6c5b674e44b9cc41f?ncid=newsltushpmgnews

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I read that China has started using thermal gizmos at some airports to detect if travellers are feverish [hot]. Speculation by an 'expert' on R4 yesterday that the same may be done in the UK.

I read that China has started using thermal gizmos at some airports to detect if travellers are feverish [hot]. Speculation by an 'expert' on R4 yesterday that the same may be done in the UK.
Saw that on the BBC News Channel today, it showed people's temperature.

And so it spreads ...

The first U.S. case of a new coronavirus strain that has killed at least nine people in China has been reported in Washington state, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday.

The deadly virus, which Chinese health officials have said can spread by human-to-human contact, has sickened hundreds of people, according to the mayor of China’s central city of Wuhan, where an outbreak is underway. Exported cases of the illness also have been confirmed in Thailand, Japan and the Republic of Korea.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/firs...e2741f7c5b63211761a92dc?ncid=newsltushpmgnews

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
The Wutan coronavirus disease has been hypothesized to have crossed to humans from bats. New research suggests it didn't originate with bats, but rather with snakes.
Snakes Are The Likely Source of China's Deadly Coronavirus. Here's Why

Snakes – the Chinese krait and the Chinese cobra – may be the original source of the newly discovered coronavirus that has triggered an outbreak of a deadly infectious respiratory illness in China this winter.

The illness was first reported in late December 2019 in Wuhan, a major city in central China, and has been rapidly spreading. Since then, sick travelers from Wuhan have infected people in China and other countries, including the United States.

Using samples of the virus isolated from patients, scientists in China have determined the genetic code of the virus and used microscopes to photograph it. The pathogen responsible for this pandemic is a new coronavirus.

It's in the same family of viruses as the well-known severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV) and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), which have killed hundreds of people in the past 17 years. The World Health Organization (WHO) has named the new coronavirus 2019-nCoV. ...

Both SARS and MERS are classified as zoonotic viral diseases, meaning the first patients who were infected acquired these viruses directly from animals. This was possible because while in the animal host, the virus had acquired a series of genetic mutations that allowed it to infect and multiply inside humans.

Now these viruses can be transmitted from person to person. Field studies have revealed that the original source of SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV is the bat, and that the masked palm civets (a mammal native to Asia and Africa) and camels, respectively, served as intermediate hosts between bats and humans.

In the case of this 2019 coronavirus outbreak, reports state that most of the first group of patients hospitalized were workers or customers at a local seafood wholesale market which also sold processed meats and live consumable animals including poultry, donkeys, sheep, pigs, camels, foxes, badgers, bamboo rats, hedgehogs and reptiles. ...

The hypothesis that the 2019-nCoV jumped from an animal at the market is strongly supported by a new publication in the Journal of Medical Virology. The scientists conducted an analysis and compared the genetic sequences of 2019-nCoV and all other known coronaviruses.

The study of the genetic code of 2019-nCoV reveals that the new virus is most closely related to two bat SARS-like coronavirus samples from China, initially suggesting that, like SARS and MERS, the bat might also be the origin of 2019-nCoV.

The authors further found that the DNA coding sequence of 2019-nCoV spike protein, which forms the "crown" of the virus particle that recognizes the receptor on a host cell, indicates that the bat virus might have mutated before infecting people.

But when the researchers performed a more detailed bioinformatics analysis of the sequence of 2019-nCoV, it suggests that this coronavirus might come from snakes. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/snakes-are-the-likely-source-of-china-s-deadly-coronavirus-here-s-why

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Guardian article suggesting that revolting food preparation methods and negligible animal welfare could be major factors.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...drives-risk-of-disease-in-hong-kong-and-china

I would have thought totalitarian regimes are quite adept at issuing national edicts. So why no glorious 12 month plan to phase out the ghastly "wet markets" and encourage Chinese citizens towards a vegetarian diet?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
They've had these set up for a number of years at Incheon Airport South Korea.

The cameras are usually sited in the first corridor between the docking area and border control. Everybody leaving a plane is 'bottle-necked' between two desks with a camera and screen set-up on each. The gap between them is enough for four or more people abreast, so you don't even really need to slow down as you pass through.

I've stopped and taken a look back at the screens in the past, and although I'm no expert, I'd say they're very sensitive. There's a lot of gradiation of colour across the body from hot to cool.

The Korean authorities, incidentally, are still treating a single case detected four days ago. The patient is in a stable condition and all those tested as possible infections through this individual have proved negative.

There has generally been a lot of planning with regard to novel and zoonotic disease. The SARS, swine flu and MERS outbreaks were handled about as well as you could hope given the inherent difficulties of controlling movement.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Yes, the reason past flu outbreaks haven't turned into epidemics is because they've been well-contained. But there's always the spectre of Spanish flu to remind us this isn't always the case.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
They've had these set up for a number of years at Incheon Airport South Korea.

The cameras are usually sited in the first corridor between the docking area and border control. Everybody leaving a plane is 'bottle-necked' between two desks with a camera and screen set-up on each. The gap between them is enough for four or more people abreast, so you don't even really need to slow down as you pass through.

I've stopped and taken a look back at the screens in the past, and although I'm no expert, I'd say they're very sensitive. There's a lot of gradiation of colour across the body from hot to cool.

The Korean authorities, incidentally, are still treating a single case detected four days ago. The patient is in a stable condition and all those tested as possible infections through this individual have proved negative.

There has generally been a lot of planning with regard to novel and zoonotic disease. The swine flu and MERS outbreaks were handled about as well as you could hope given the inherent difficulties of controlling movement.
Second case in Korea and although not explicitly stated it sounds as if the patient (Chinese) was detected at Incheon airport.

https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200124001300320?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
The medical advice is that face masks offer negligible protection against viral infection though.
The pores in a surgical mask are huge compared to the size of a virus.

Masks are more to protect other people from the wearer than vice versa.

"A surgical mask, also known as a procedure mask, is intended to be worn by health professionals during surgery and during nursing to catch the bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose. They are not designed to protect the wearer from inhaling airborne bacteria or virus particles..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgical_mask

maximus otter

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
I see those ocassionally, I believe it's more to avoid air pollution.
Loads of them in Ho Chi Minh City, where the haze has been bad since last summer. I wear one myself, and the dreadful smoker's cough I'd developed has eased. Mind you, you still need to be careful about the size of the particles that the filter can intercept.

First two cases of the coronavirus confirmed here today.

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Guardian article suggesting that revolting food preparation methods and negligible animal welfare could be major factors.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...drives-risk-of-disease-in-hong-kong-and-china

I would have thought totalitarian regimes are quite adept at issuing national edicts. So why no glorious 12 month plan to phase out the ghastly "wet markets" and encourage Chinese citizens towards a vegetarian diet?
Glad to see no double standards at work, here. It's apparently an unconscionable intrusion on individual rights and traditional freedoms for Western governments to restrict fossil fuel use, but by all means go ahead and curtail those funny foreign ways. After all, they're revolting.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
This is troubling.

I can ascertain the hospital name, but it's being reported as in Wuhan. The video has been removed from Chinese social media--supposedly. I can't verify that.

Translation of the audio via a Chinese-speaking commenter:

Three bodies had lied down here all morning. One person died in the early morning and had not [been] removed until now. Doctors, nurses, patients were in this environment. This is the designated hospital for coronavirus in Wuhan.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
This is troubling.

I can ascertain the hospital name, but it's being reported as in Wuhan. The video has been removed from Chinese social media--supposedly. I can't verify that.

Translation of the audio via a Chinese-speaking commenter:

Three bodies had lied down here all morning. One person died in the early morning and had not [been] removed until now. Doctors, nurses, patients were in this environment. This is the designated hospital for coronavirus in Wuhan.
More in the same line:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
The Wuhan coronavirus has made its way to Europe ...
France confirms 2 cases of coronavirus; 26 dead in China

French health officials announced two cases of the deadly coronavirus Friday, the first two confirmed diagnoses in Europe, as China moved to lock down several cities in a desperate bid to keep it from spreading.

French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn said both cases involved people who traveled to China, where the virus originated. ...

One case involves a 48-year-old French man of Chinese origin who had flu-like symptoms in Bordeaux. The second involves a patient in Paris. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...onavirus-26-dead-in-China/8881579863559/?sl=8

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Let’s have some perspective, everyone.

“In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths...”

http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/influenza-flu

This outbreak has killed 41 people, all in China.

Relax: The 24-hour news cycle will soon move on to the next thing that’s going to kill us all.

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Let’s have some perspective, everyone.

“In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths...”

http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/influenza-flu

This outbreak has killed 41 people, all in China.

Relax: The 24-hour news cycle will soon move on to the next thing that’s going to kill us all.

maximus otter
With respect, that's not what (sensible) people are worried about.

If the epidemic becomes a global pandemic, with lethality at between 2 and 3%, we're looking at millions of deaths in total. We can't be sure about the lethality because any figures from China are suspect owing to inaccurate reporting and recording coupled with a sinister government that is more interested in its reputation than saving lives. Let's, therefore, be optimistic and take the lower end of the likely range as a working figure.

The vast majority of those 2% would be the very old and those with impaired health, but that almost certainly includes members of almost every extended family.

The chances are that it won't come to this, but when the outcome is so catastrophic, it is prudent to take the small risk seriously.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Snakes, bats or baby mice have all been implicated.

Utterly revolting video of Chinese diners still eating such animals is on the Mirror's website (warning, you can't unsee some of the utterly vile scenes afterwards). I didn't even realise baby mice were served live to satisfy the depraved palates of some Chinese people.