COVID-19 (Wuhan Coronavirus): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Indeed. Sorry I averred incorrectly.
http://www.labnews.co.uk/article/2030503/coronavirus-is-it-just-a-type-of-flu

"....There are at least 7 coronavirus species known to infect humans. Two, namely Human Coronavirus 229E (HCoV-229E) Human Coronavirus OC43 ( HCoV-OC43), were identified in the 1960s and between them they are thought to account for 25% of all common colds. "

And so on.
A very interesting report actually which I would not have read had it not been for your interjection Min.
Thanks.
(previous post edited to reflect)
Rabies is a corona virus.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
I'd kind of like to know more about the 'common cold' coronaviruses. I wonder if they caused what we used to call chest colds instead of head colds. Several scientists have suggested that having had one of the coronavirus colds gives some protection against Covid-19.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Lb8535

Reaction score
This is both fascinating and very frightening. I've been in daily contact with a friend in California, and he's been repeating 'tip of the iceberg' since March and planning any and all trips out like military operations.

Very good (visual) analysis here that may give U.S. members bad dreams:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-spread.html?referringSource=articleShare
I think most US members had already gotten this. Many people I know, many of whom are retired in any case, are just flat staying home. Those in low-disease areas are watching local testing data closely.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
How about hayfever?
Strange business hayfever.
I never had it as a kid, then it appeared in my teens.

I do get it same time each year though - early June, and it lasts until late June or early July.

This year it thank G-D has appeared to have stopped around 20th June - a record early finish - which makes me think that hayfever is a response not just to pollens, but also to pollution.
With less pollution this year, I am less affected.
(Last year though we had a very hot couple of days in April when my hayfever appeared early for those two days, was really evident, but then it disappeared and came back in June.)

There is a school of thought that hayfever is "natural and beneficial" and is the body using pollen to cleanse itself of disease/contaminants - expelling the disease/contaminants via snot, water from eyes, sneezes and discharge from corner of eyes etc.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I do get it same time each year though - early June, and it lasts until late June or early July.

This year it thank G-D has appeared to have stopped around 20th June - a record early finish - which makes me think that hayfever is a response not just to pollens, but also to pollution.
With less pollution this year, I am less affected.
(Last year though we had a very hot couple of days in April when my hayfever appeared early for those two days, was really evident, but then it disappeared and came back in June.)

There is a school of thought that hayfever is "natural and beneficial" and is the body using pollen to cleanse itself of disease/contaminants - expelling the disease/contaminants via snot, water from eyes, sneezes and discharge from corner of eyes etc.
Im fairly sure there is a known link between pollution and hayfever.
Hayfever is an allergy. The symptons are your bodies immune response to the cause. With hayfever, pollen is most likely to land on your skin or eyes or get trapped by nasal hair which is why those areas are affected.

So you cant catch hayfever but you body might react differently each year depending on environmental conditions and what mood your immune system is in!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I'm making this my last daily update on C19 figures.
I will instead give a weekly round up of figures at the weekends, starting next weekend.

Todays (26/6/20) NHS England 'new deaths' figures released.

The wording of the statement regarding the collection of the data now includes the phrase,
"The total announced file is updated daily and contains information on the deaths of patients
who have died in hospitals in England and either tested positive for COVID-19,
or where no positive test result was received for COVID-19, but COVID-19 was mentioned on their death certificate"

So the data includes deaths as 'with C19' even if no positive test has been done.
Disgraceful.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

Todays figures and notable statistics;
67 reported 'new' deaths today;
The most 'new' deaths reported come from East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust with 6.
The oldest death reported today is one from Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust from May 21st.
There are only 37 trusts/facilities that have reported 'new' deaths today.
180 of the 217 trusts/facilities today have reported 0 new deaths (that is 86%)
15 'new' deaths are over a week old.
Thursday this week (yesterday) showing 9, however, as the daily figure is communicated to NHS England at 5pm each day the total for the whole of yesterday is not complete.

Todays deaths by age group;
0-19 = 0
20-39 = 0
40-59 = 4
60-78 = 28
80+ = 35

Below I show my running totals for;
Existing deaths + New deaths = New totals (If no 'new' to add then no calculation has been entered)
(since Thursday April 2nd, the date I started logging the numbers officially released).

T 813
F 617
S 1110 (Saturday April 4th)
S 1096
M 942
T 812
W 897
T 784
F 739
S 779 (April 11th)
S 718
M 698
T 648
W 685
T 635
F 610
S 569 (April 18th)
S 530
M 565
T 484
W 501
T 450
F 438
S 389 (April 25th)
S 381
M 342
T 341
W 322
T 311
F 304
S 268 (May 2nd)
S 250
M 259
T 250
W 266
T 256
F 211
S 202 (May 9th)
S 195
M 166
T 183
W 157
T 166
F 162
S 166 (May 16th)
S 137
M 155
T 143
W 153
T 148+1=149
F 121
S 128 (May 23rd)
S 115
M 135
T 137
W 120
T 122+1=123
F 116
S 91 (May 30th)
S 81+1=82
M 93
T 108
W 106+3=109
T 82
F 82+1=83
S 80+2=82 (June 6th)
S 76+1=77
M 66
T 63+2=65
W 71
T 48
F 48+2=50
S 38 (June 13th)
S 55
M 51
T 51
W 44+1=45
T 45
F 38
S 39 (June 20th)
S 31+1=32
M 37+1=38
T 29+13=42
W 6+28=34
T --------------9

(Figures supplied by NHS England date back to the beginning of March when the UK recorded it's first day with more than 50 deaths.
The figures released daily include deaths from the day on which they happened, so can be from any previous day NOT from just within the past 24 hours)

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The US numbers keep climbing, and some states that were attempting to reopen are now back-pedaling ... On top of all this bad news, the epidemiological community has begun suggesting the actual number of infections is on the order of 10 times the number confirmed.
Official Estimates Say 8% of The US Has Already Been Infected With The Coronavirus

Between five and eight percent of the total US population has experienced infection with the new coronavirus, a top health body said Thursday as it warned pregnant women were at higher risk of getting severe COVID-19.

The estimate for infections by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is based on nationally representative antibody test surveys, which suggest that the count of confirmed cases represents only about a tenth of the real figure.

The US population is 329.8 million, and the true number of people who are or have previously been infected is between 16.5 and 26.4 million people, according to the estimate. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-o...lation-has-been-infected-with-the-coronavirus

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Mine came on at about age eleven, but it was only bad for four or five seasons and then it faded away to mere sniffles and very slight irritation.

I don't know whether I still have a reaction, because I moved home to a country with different pollen and have no problems at all here.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The US numbers keep climbing, and some states that were attempting to reopen are now back-pedaling ... On top of all this bad news, the epidemiological community has begun suggesting the actual number of infections is on the order of 10 times the number confirmed.

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-o...lation-has-been-infected-with-the-coronavirus
So not dissimilar to per-capita rates in Sweden.
But is this a result of a deliberate hands-off approach with the aim of achieving rapid herd immunity, or just plain carelessness?

Trevp666

Reaction score
Hay fever - I get mine mostly during September, which seems odd.
However, the weather app on my phone is very good and has a 'pollen count' page, which goes into detail showing which plants/trees are producing pollen currently, and how much, so you can see what it is that is most likely affecting you.
Also, if you're new to hay fever, the over-the-counter remedies that you can buy contain one of a number of different active ingredients (Loratadine, Acrivastine, Ceterizine Hydrochloride...etc) and you will have to try different ones to see which works best for your particular symptoms.
I found that the ones that declare themselves 'one-a-day' are far from it. Mostly I'm lucky if those type produce an effect for more than 10 hours.
There are herbal options too apparently, but I've not tried them so can't vouch for their efficacy.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Hmmm
Coincidence? I went to look at the daily release of figures on the NHS website like I usually do this time of day, (even though I'm not producing a daily update any more I thought I would check the numbers) and I was greeted with this.

Page not found (404)
We're sorry but the page you're looking for doesn't appear to exist or has been moved.

Try the navigation at the top of the page or perhaps use our site search.

EDIT - 5 minutes later the correct page appears!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This would be rather remarkable if true. ...
I don't know what the implications would be but it would certainly change our understanding of what is going on dramatically.
Agreed ... I'd posted about their having found the first-round evidence indicating COVID-19 presence as early as January 2020. I've been waiting to see whether that has been verified or sufficiently reviewed to take as fact.

If there were indeed evidence dating back to spring 2019 that would be quite remarkable and force a re-thinking of the disease's origins.

The immediate problem is validating these results as something other than a false positive - not an easy task with only a single "hit."

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Israel is on the verge of tightening social regulations, roughly three weeks after it came out of a very strict lockdown which kept Covid 19 deaths to 317 people out of a population of 8.8 million.
They currently have roughly 600 new infections per day, and so the government is pre-warning the public through the press to probably expect a a degree of lockdown to return - i.e. work from home, outdoor public gatherings limited, and 2 metre social distancing.

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
They have dramatically ramped up testing in Sweden especially Stockholm. Every adult in Stockholm is entitled to a free antibody test. They want to see just how many have had it. They launched the booking calendar on an app which immediately crashed due to demand. It's now moved to a health authority website but when I tried to book 3 days ago, every time slot was booked until the end of July.

Cochise

Reaction score
They have dramatically ramped up testing in Sweden especially Stockholm. Every adult in Stockholm is entitled to a free antibody test. They want to see just how many have had it. They launched the booking calendar on an app which immediately crashed due to demand. It's now moved to a health authority website but when I tried to book 3 days ago, every time slot was booked until the end of July.
That's good. If some country can actually get a decent proportion of its citizens tested we should get a vital piece of data we don't so far have. No-one as far as I know anywhere (outside the cruise ships) has tested enough of its population to let us know how far it's spread asymptomatically (or in the guise of minor colds etc.)

Last edited:

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
That's good. If some country can actually get a decent proportion of its citizens tested we should get a vital piece of data we don't so far have. No-one as far as I know anywhere (outside the cruise ships) has tested enough of its population to let us know how far it's spread symptomatically (or in the guise of minor colds etc.)
Agreed. However, as there are currently only a limited number of places and time slots available, it won't be until August until everyone gets tested. By that point, the sample period will have been about 6 weeks long. Some of those who tested negative in the beginning may have had it since and those testing positive towards the end may have been virus free at the beginning. So it's more of a general idea rather than an actual snapshot of the current situation.

More labs and time slots are coming on line every day so maybe it'll go quicker.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I’ve signed up to donate convalescent plasma as it’s the only way I’ll get an antibody test. Last week was offered a swab test via the Zoe research app but that’s now pointless over three months since first symptom... will hear in next several weeks about antibody test and hope to get one before my antibodies wear off!

Of course no bugger would test me when a test would have been useful.

Lb8535

Reaction score
I’ve signed up to donate convalescent plasma as it’s the only way I’ll get an antibody test. Last week was offered a swab test via the Zoe research app but that’s now pointless over three months since first symptom... will hear in next several weeks about antibody test and hope to get one before my antibodies wear off!

Of course no bugger would test me when a test would have been useful.
Yes but it's good of you to offer to donate.

Robbrent

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
It's all rather depressing isn't it, countries come out of lockdown and there seems to be a resurgence and in this connected world no country is an island, so if it's running rampant in the Americas it will spread again

I know the vaccine research seems to be going quite well, with some larger study groups, it is the only way out of this, all lockdown seems to do is limit the spread, and until there is a vaccine it's something we will have to live with I guess

Cochise

Reaction score
It's all rather depressing isn't it, countries come out of lockdown and there seems to be a resurgence and in this connected world no country is an island, so if it's running rampant in the Americas it will spread again

I know the vaccine research seems to be going quite well, with some larger study groups, it is the only way out of this, all lockdown seems to do is limit the spread, and until there is a vaccine it's something we will have to live with I guess
The reality is that a) there has never been a usable vaccine for a coronavirus even though we've been trying since the 50's - I know that because one of the Oxford guys said they are going to go back and review that old material to see if it helps, and b) Even was a vaccine successfully developed it would take years - possibly decades - before it could be proven safe.

Unless you want another Thalidomide. This time on a global scale.

This is why I get irritated. Miracles don't happen, scientific development - even if you are Einstein or Tesla - is time consuming hard slog.

Oh, and before anyone chimes in I'm not an anti-vaxxer - I've had all mine - nor do I think the world is run by Big Pharma. I also understand that 'Safe' does not mean 100% safe. But if you are going to vaccinate the world against a disease whose full long term effects we don't even understand you'd better be sure its 99point a lot of 9s% safe.

It's true I wouldn't trust Bill Gates to hang up my coat without searching my pockets, but that's because I've been forced to use his bloody software for 30 years and watched how people keep paying out more money for less productivity.

Last edited: