COVID-19 (Wuhan Coronavirus): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Beresford

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
The news that airborne transmission is a significant factor in the spread of Covid19 could be a game-changer:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...-who-recognize-coronavirus-airborne-risk.html

Looks like we could be wearing masks for years and may need to start covering our eyes with goggles or a visor too.
There is a fair bit of debate about how significant a factor this is and how a big a risk it poses. It may mean that certain types of building need specific adaptations.

I'm giving up on speculating or predicting what will happen next though. The world is just too strange now.

Last edited:

Robbrent

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The news that airborne transmission is a significant factor in the spread of Covid19 could be a game-changer:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...-who-recognize-coronavirus-airborne-risk.html

Looks like we could be wearing masks for years and may need to start covering our eyes with goggles or a visor too.
I think years is a little pessimistic, there should be the first vaccine released in October and a number of others following on (The Imperial College one is the safest )

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think years is a little pessimistic, there should be the first vaccine released in October and a number of others following on (The Imperial College one is the safest )
October? But in which year?

Unless the Chinese Communist Party has found a way to neutralise their virus and is willing to share that knowledge with the rest of humanity, I cannot see a vaccine being just months away.

Robbrent

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
October? But in which year?

Unless the Chinese Communist Party has found a way to neutralise their virus and is willing to share that knowledge with the rest of humanity, I cannot see a vaccine being just months away.
There are 3 or 4 moving on to stage 3 trials, things look very promising (Google is your friend)

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I believe China is testing one on their army. They have a pretty big army. I feel a bit sorry for the soldiers but it should provide the Chinese with some good information at least.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This might well be the most ironic COVID-19 angle to date ...

Prior research suggests personal and social stressors (such as the effects from unexpected isolation and social distancing) may increase one's susceptibility to infection.
Self-Isolation May Increase Your Susceptibility to COVID-19 – Here’s Why

Previous research points to the effect of social stressors on developing upper respiratory infections, holding clues to COVID-19 risk.

Months of self-isolation and social distancing have taken their toll. Sheldon Cohen, the Robert E. Doherty Professor of Psychology at Carnegie Mellon University, has produced a body of research that suggests that interpersonal stressors many are experiencing during quarantine are associated with an increased vulnerability to upper respiratory viruses and perhaps coronavirus. A summary of his work is available online in the July 8 issue of Perspectives on Psychological Science.

“We know little about why some of the people exposed to the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, are more likely to develop the disease than others. However, our research on psychological factors that predict susceptibility to other respiratory viruses may provide clues to help identify factors that matter for COVID-19,” said Cohen. ...

In a series of studies, he found participants experiencing interpersonal stressors had a greater chance of developing upper respiratory illnesses when exposed to cold viruses. Cohen believes interpersonal stressors might play a similar role in response to the coronavirus causing COVID-19, increasing a person’s vulnerability to infection and illness.

In addition, both social and psychological stressors increased the production of cytokines, molecules that promote inflammation in response to infection. In Cohen’s work, psychological and social stressors were associated with an overproduction of pro-inflammatory cytokines in response to cold and influenza viruses. In turn, this excess of inflammation was associated with an increased risk of becoming ill. Similarly, research on COVID-19 has shown that producing an excess of pro-inflammatory cytokines is associated with more severe COVID-19 infections suggesting the hypothesis that a stress-triggered excessive cytokine response might similarly contribute to excessive inflammation and symptoms in COVID-19. ...
FULL STORY: https://scitechdaily.com/self-isolation-may-increase-your-susceptibility-to-covid-19-heres-why/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This article provides some disturbing information about the extent to which COVID-19 has been found to cause neurological and brain damage - even among patients who don't exhibit serious respiratory symptoms.
Serious Cases of Brain Damage Are Linked to COVID-19, New Research Shows

The coronavirus doesn't just target our lungs.

A growing body of research shows that COVID-19 is linked to potentially fatal brain damage and neurological problems.

According to a study published Wednesday in the journal Brain, some coronavirus patients experience brain swelling that's accompanied by episodes of delirium.

Other patients develop nervous-system disorders like Guillain-Barré syndrome that can cause paralysis, while a few have life-threatening strokes.

"We're seeing things in the way COVID-19 affects the brain that we haven't seen before with other viruses," Michael Zandi, one of the new study's co-authors, told The Guardian.

The researchers found that the neurological symptoms weren't limited to patients with severe cases (those that require ventilation or supplementary oxygen). ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/seriou...n-the-rise-and-covid-19-seems-to-be-behind-it

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This newly reported Spanish study adds to the growing consensus that "herd immunity" is a false hope in dealing with COVID-19.
Major Study Casts Doubt on COVID-19 Herd Immunity After Patient Antibodies Disappear

Population-wide immunity to the novel coronavirus could be "unachievable" with antibodies to the virus disappearing after just a few weeks in some patients, according to a major new Spanish study.

The Spanish government teamed up with some of the country's leading epidemiologists to discover what percentage of the population had developed antibodies that could provide immunity from the coronavirus.

The study found that just 5 percent of those tested across the country maintained antibodies to the virus, in findings published by the medical journal The Lancet.

The study also found that 14 percent of people who had tested positive for coronavirus antibodies in the first round of testing no longer tested positive in subsequent tests carried out weeks later.

"Immunity can be incomplete, it can be transitory, it can last for just a short time and then disappear," Raquel Yotti, the director of Spain's Carlos III Health Institute, which helped conduct the study, said.

Other researchers said the study corroborated findings elsewhere that immunity to the virus might not be long-lasting in people who develop only mild or no symptoms. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/study-suggests-in-some-cases-antibodies-can-disappear-after-mere-weeks

Published Article (Lancet):
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31483-5/fulltext

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
It might be a yearly shot
Sounds like it would have to be a six-weekly shot. Frantic clutching at straws going on.

We are just going to have to live with it.

Robbrent

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Sounds like it would have to be a six-weekly shot. Frantic clutching at straws going on.

We are just going to have to live with it.
I don't think it is, I think they all know that they have two or three very good candidates and they are waiting on the phase 3 results, my predition is they will start to roll it out in the UK by October

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
From King’s College COVID Symptom Study (https://covid.joinzoe.com/data):

1,476 daily new cases daily in the UK on 5 July (1,647 on 30 June). R = 0.9 (0.8 on 30 June)

Regional split:

- 33 daily new cases per million in South West on 5 July (24 on 30 June). R = 1.0 (1.0 on 30 June)
- 18 daily new cases per million in South East on 5 July (22 on 30 June). R = 1.0 (1.0 on 30 June)
- zero daily new cases per million in East of England on 5 July (27 on 30 June). R = 0.1 (1.0 on 30 June)
- 23 daily new cases per million in London on 5 July (21 on 30 June). R = 1.1 (0.9 on 30 June)
- 40 daily new cases per million in Midlands on 5 July (32 on 30 June). R = 1.0 (0.7 on 30 June)
- 49 daily new cases per million in Wales on 5 July (51 on 30 June). R = 0.9 (0.9 on 30 June)
- 7 daily new cases per million in North West on 5 July (40 on 30 June). R = 0.9 (0.7 on 30 June)
- 36 daily new cases per million in North East & Yorkshire on 5 July (19 on 30 June). R = 0.9 (0.7 on 30 June)
- 14 daily new cases per million in Scotland on 5 July (12 on 30 June). R = 0.8 (0.8 on 30 June)
- Zero daily new cases per million in Northern Ireland on 5 July (zero on 30 June). R = 0.0 (0.0 on 30 June)

Hmm, not sure I'll be pubbing it or similar any time soon given those figures. The numbers don't look that high compared with a while back, but the R number is still a concern and I'm worried that the easing of lockdown and the mixed signals being given out don't bode well for the near future. The present experiences of the USA, Victoria in Australia and elsewhere also feel me with unease. I'll still stick to two metres, wear a mask in shops and avoid contact where possible.

Beresford

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I wonder about the figures for Scotland there. The number of confirmed cases per day is in single figures at the moment (6 yesterday) and it is estimated that around 1000 people in the country currently have the virus.

Robbrent

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Like someone said earlier, there are no easy options for the time being, economically its a disaster, but having a raging virus is also not good for the economy,and could be equally disastrous the only way out of this is vaccination I think the figures to see virus eliminated are about 70% of a population

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, 'herd immunity' looks to be a fair way off in South Korea!

An antibody study in one region of the country (admittedly one lightly touched by the virus) found that of their societal cross-section of 3,000 people, only ONE person had the antibodies that would imply they had overcome Covid-19.

The options are:
  • Extreme statistical fluke.
  • Hyper-effective control of the outbreak.
  • Short-lived antibodies.
  • Flawed testing.
  • Any combination of the above.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Newly published research on the 'mechanics' of COVID-19 influence on infected cells indicates the virus hijacks protein processes to generate 'tentacles' that serve to penetrate and infect adjacent cells.
Coronavirus hijacks cells, forces them to grow tentacles, then invades others

Cells infected with the new coronavirus grow stringy, tentacle-like arms that allow the virus to invade other cells, according to a new study. ...

But to truly find the right therapeutic weapon, scientists need to understand in detail how the virus invades human cells. To figure that out, an international group of researchers looked at how the virus changes activity inside cells in order to invade more and more cells. They specifically analyzed how the virus can alter certain proteins in infected cells. (Proteins carry out the instructions of genes, and so protein changes could impact the actual actions of infected cells.) ...

This new research builds upon a "blueprint" of 332 human proteins that interact with 27 SARS-CoV-2 viral proteins that researchers had described in April in the journal Nature. In this new study, the researchers analyzed all of the human proteins that, when infected, showed changes in a process called phosphorylation — in which a protein called a kinase sticks a phosphoryl group (a phosphorus atom attached to three oxygens) onto other proteins ...

Phosphorylation, a process that can activate and deactivate proteins, is "extremely important" for many cellular processes, including protein synthesis, cell division, signaling, cell growth, development and aging ...

The set of kinases is like the "master switchboard of the cell," said senior author Nevan Krogan ... "If the virus can come in and manipulate the switchboard, it can manipulate things in a way that's beneficial for infection." ...

The activity of a couple of kinases, including what's called a casein kinase II (CK2), were dramatically altered by the virus and lie within important cell-signaling pathways ...

High-resolution imaging of the infected cells showed that the cells had grown tentacle-like protrusions called "filopodia," which contained viral proteins, according to the statement. The researchers found both CK2 and viral proteins within the filopodia, suggesting that the coronavirus hijacks CK2 and forces it to form tentacles. Those tentacles then poke holes in nearby cells, allowing the virus to infect new cells ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-creates-tentacles-to-invade-cells.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a summary of the newly published research on protein processes subverted by COVID-19. The full article is accessible at the link.

The causative agent of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), has infected millions and killed hundreds of thousands of people worldwide, highlighting an urgent need to develop antiviral therapies. Here we present a quantitative mass spectrometry-based phosphoproteomics survey of SARS-CoV-2 infection in Vero E6 cells, revealing dramatic rewiring of phosphorylation on host and viral proteins. SARS-CoV-2 infection promoted casein kinase II (CK2) and p38 MAPK activation, production of diverse cytokines, and shutdown of mitotic kinases, resulting in cell cycle arrest. Infection also stimulated a marked induction of CK2-containing filopodial protrusions possessing budding viral particles. Eighty-seven drugs and compounds were identified by mapping global phosphorylation profiles to dysregulated kinases and pathways. We found pharmacologic inhibition of the p38, CK2, CDK, AXL, and PIKFYVE kinases to possess antiviral efficacy, representing potential COVID-19 therapies.
FULL ARTICLE: https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30811-4

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
The options are:
(etc)
I expect you could also include;
- Genetic predisposition of the population to be resistant to SARS-Cov-2 infection.
- Immunity effects being conferred through previous infections with other cornavirus types.
- Deliberate manipulation of the data. (I'm not sure why they would want to, but it's possible, so inclusion as a reason is warranted IMO)

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
What if one of the effects of the virus is to actually programme us to go out and spread and transmit?
In Quatermass mode, that would explain the Extinction Rebellion and BLM gatherings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii
I remember hearing a microbiologist comment that Ebola seemed almost designed to make a victim act as the most effective vector.
Can't say that BLM protests are caused by the virus, though. More like the wrong trigger responding to the wrong public incident at the wrong time; tension over racial injustice has been building - especially in the States. Top this off with frustration and fear over Covid restrictions (which all people have) and you had the killing acting like Guido Fawkes sitting on top of leaking gunpowder kegs, tapping out his pipe embers on the wood and saying "Well, it's gone great so far - what could possibly go wrong?"

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
What if one of the effects of the virus is to actually programme us to go out and spread and transmit?
In Quatermass mode, that would explain the Extinction Rebellion and BLM gatherings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii
Well they are now speculating that there may be long term neurological damage in people who seemed mildly affected.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....-disorders-in-people-with-mild-covid-symptoms
Psychosis being one of the symptoms...