• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cow Tipping

Chris, that sounds just about right. Good story. :)

The main result of cows being tipped (allegedly) was that it caused them to dry up or have trouble being milked. Most heifers will get mastitis or separated udders at the drop of a hat, so it makes sense to me that being pushed around or rushed by some teenagers would put Bessy off her schedule.

Anybody who was dumb enough to try and tip a steer probably got exactly what they deserved.

To my knowledge nobody has ever tipped a cow. Where I live (Wisconsin) the phrase "we were out cow tipping last night" literaly means "oh yeah we were out driving around aimlessly for 6 hours last night looking for something to do". If you dont believe me go find a cow and try to push it over, have fun at the hospital. ;)

i asked a friend who grew up on a farm which had cows about this, and he has never heard of it, so maybe it is a ul, but then he said something mysterious about "pig bricking" and wandered off laughing...

The Times November 05, 2005

Cow-tipping myth hasn't got a leg to stand on
By Jack Malvern

IT IS the kind of story you hear from a friend of a friend — how, after a long night in a rural hostelry and at a loss for entertainment in the countryside, they head out into a nearby field.

There, according to the second-hand accounts, they sneak up on an unsuspecting cow and turn the poor animal hoof over udder.

But now, much to the relief of dairy herds, the sport of cow-tipping has been debunked as an urban, or perhaps rural, myth by scientists at a Canadian university.

Margo Lillie, a doctor of zoology at the University of British Columbia, and her student Tracy Boechler have conducted a study on the physics of cow-tipping.

Ms Boechler, now a trainee forensics analyst for the Royal Canadian Mounted Corps, concluded in her initial report that a cow standing with its legs straight would require five people to exert the required force to bowl it over.

A cow of 1.45 metres in height pushed at an angle of 23.4 degrees relative to the ground would require 2,910 Newtons of force, equivalent to 4.43 people, she wrote.

Dr Lillie, Ms Boechler’s supervisor, revised the calculations so that two people could exert the required amount of force to tip a static cow, but only if it did not react.

“The static physics of the issue say . . . two people might be able to tip a cow,” she said. “But the cow would have to be tipped quickly — the cow’s centre of mass would have to be pushed over its hoof before the cow could react.”

Newton’s second law of motion, force equals mass multiplied by acceleration, shows that the high acceleration necessary to tip the cow would require a higher force. “Biology also complicates the issue here because the faster the [human] muscles have to contract, the lower the force they can produce. But I suspect that even if a dynamic physics model suggests cow tipping is possible, the biology ultimately gets in the way: a cow is simply not a rigid, unresponding body.”

Another problem is that cows, unlike horses, do not sleep on their feet — they doze. Ms Boechler said that cows are easily disturbed. “I have personally heard of people trying but failing because they are either using too few people or being too loud.

“Most of these ‘athletes’ are intoxicated.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/ ... 46,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
We seem to have come full circle with this, yet again.

So it is possible for two people to push a cow over whilst it is dozing and as long as its centre of mass passess over its feet before it can react. We need volunteers to carry out, literally, research in the field. The more the better.

Come to think of it, can't we set up a worldwide Tip-A-Cow Day. I could try calling Bono and Bob Geldof and see if we can get something organised. :D

Yes, I know it's a 15 yr old post,, but for those who don't know about Contrete Cows click on the link.

Thame had 10 cows and 2 calves dotted around the town about six years ago, that were used as advertising and notice boards. Unfortunately there's been a spate of rustling.

Thame-cow.jpg

http://www.thame.net/archives/16184

Back