• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
He'd been contacted with an urgent query about whether diseases, specifically foot and mouth, could be contracted through giving a dead badger mouth-to-mouth resuscitation...

It's probably safe to say that a dead badger is beyond resuscitation but whatever turns you on...

It's probably safe to say that a dead badger is beyond resuscitation but whatever turns you on...

You'd think so, wouldn't you? However, any form of resuscitation can only be attempted once the patient is believed to be dead, whether they are human or not. So a dead badger is as valid a subject as any to practice it on.

Think I would be more wary of TB than foot and mouth befor trying to blow up a badger.

never heard them arrive, buggers
snook up on me.

surveying in a field with cows is.... either trying on interesting depending on your sense of humour!

Wish you were Heifer starring Emily Lloyd ...

The wildwood trust gives the following approximations:

"According to the National Office of Statistics around 25 people each year are killed directly by animals, more are killed by road accidents relating to animals and yet more are die from infection and diseases associated with animals. Of the 25 directly related animal deaths in the UK, our top 5 killers are:

1. Horses: about 10 a year
2. Cows: about 5 a year
3. Domestic dogs: about 4 per year
4. Bees & Wasps: about 3 per year
5. Deer–attacks about 1 per year"

At the risk of being a bit obvious, by far the most dangerous animal we will encounter is Man. :(

It’s actually more for horses. They’ve become masters at burying the bodies and making their victims look like they've fallen out of hospital windows.

A careless visitor cowsed this.

Cow rescued by Crammel Linn waterfall near Gilsland

A cow that got stranded at the bottom of a steep bank on the Northumberland/Cumbria border has been finally freed. The 15-year-old Galloway got stuck at the Crammel Linn waterfall near Gilsland on Monday night.It is thought a visitor left a gate open and the cow found its way down from its field to the water's edge.

The area has been hit by heavy rain for days, and the frightened animal was unable to make its way back up the hill due to the soft ground.

The fire and rescue service from nearby RAF Spadeadam joined other rescuers in a bid to try and guide the animal to safety, but in the end it had to be sedated and airlifted out by an RAF helicopter.

• 4h ago. Vid at link.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-tyne-53370880/cow-rescued-by-crammel-linn-waterfall-near-gilsland

A careless visitor cowsed this.

Cow rescued by Crammel Linn waterfall near Gilsland

A cow that got stranded at the bottom of a steep bank on the Northumberland/Cumbria border has been finally freed. The 15-year-old Galloway got stuck at the Crammel Linn waterfall near Gilsland on Monday night.It is thought a visitor left a gate open and the cow found its way down from its field to the water's edge.

The area has been hit by heavy rain for days, and the frightened animal was unable to make its way back up the hill due to the soft ground.

The fire and rescue service from nearby RAF Spadeadam joined other rescuers in a bid to try and guide the animal to safety, but in the end it had to be sedated and airlifted out by an RAF helicopter.

• 4h ago. Vid at link.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-tyne-53370880/cow-rescued-by-crammel-linn-waterfall-near-gilsland
Lake Placid.

Fortunately it didn't happen in winter or the cow would be Friesian

'Curious' cow gets head stuck in tree in Oxford
37 minutes ago

A cat stuck up a tree is a standard mercy mission for firefighters, but crews in Oxford ended up going to the rescue of a cow stuck in one. Mark Merrony said he noticed several fire engines turn up to the field in Water Eaton and decided to investigate.

"It was with its head stuck in the tree, poor thing. I think they are quite curious creatures," he said. "Curiosity nearly killed the cow."

He said crews appeared to "lubricate" the cow's neck before pulling it free.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-53596370

Another cow trampling

Popular deputy head teacher killed by herd of cows whilst walking dogs

In Richmond, Yorks, monday

Pupils were in tears at Richmond School and Sixth Form College as his death was announced in a message to parents.

Mr Clark was described by a parent as "one of the good guys."
1600806855915.png

It was just last weekend a farming friend was saying how some folk just dont understand they shouldnt take dogs in with cows.

What have you got against cows? Some of my best friends are cows.

I cannot send them a Mirror link, can I?

There was a bit about cows on Strange or What or whatever it's called, seems some of them
can detect the magnetic field of the earth by changing the magnetic field round one they could
get it to face what ever direction they wanted.

There was a bit about cows on Strange or What or whatever it's called, seems some of them can detect the magnetic field of the earth by changing the magnetic field round one they could get it to face what ever direction they wanted.

Geomagnetic sensitivity in cattle has been a controversial topic for years. Some studies more than a decade ago claimed cows aligned themselves with respect to geomagnetic lines, but later studies disputed those studies' validity or ran experiments which failed to yield any correlation at all. For example:

https://www.nature.com/news/the-mystery-of-the-magnetic-cows-1.9350
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0187848

As far as I know the question is still unanswered ...

Last edited:
Cows can navigate.

They do have a homing sense, but I have no idea if that might manifest in alliging themselves with magnetic fields

At work a few months back I chatted with a customer at work who was some kind of council medical official. People with jobs like that have interesting stories to tell so I soon had him coughing up.

He'd been contacted with an urgent query about whether diseases, specifically foot and mouth, could be contracted through giving a dead badger mouth-to-mouth resuscitation...
OMG!! That's absolutely hilarious!! :joyf:

When I lived in the country when I was younger there was a field with a group of bullocks in it.

They were always so curious but easily spooked.

I'd always get followed by them when walking through and if they got a bit too close all you had to do was suddenly stop quickly, turn around shoo at them and they'd back off.

Me and my wife got chased by cows while we were doing the Tintagel to Trebarwith walk a few years ago. Luckily we were only about 100 feet from the stile so were ok. It’s scary hearing those hooves pounding behind you .

Me and my wife got chased by cows while we were doing the Tintagel to Trebarwith walk a few years ago. Luckily we were only about 100 feet from the stile so were ok. It’s scary hearing those hooves pounding behind you .
Yeah that would be frightening!

When I lived in the country when I was younger there was a field with a group of bullocks in it.

They were always so curious but easily spooked.

I'd always get followed by them when walking through and if they got a bit too close all you had to do was suddenly stop quickly, turn around shoo at them and they'd back off.
I could not walk through a field with bullocks in it. Too scary for me.

SNOGGING cows – “with or without tongues” – is all the rage in Austria, endangering the animals and those smooching them, warn officials. ...

In a less wet vein ... Communing with cows (cow hugging) is a Dutch fad that's touted as a stress relief experience.
Is cow hugging the world's new wellness trend?

Embracing cows, or "koe knuffelen" in Dutch, is more than a cute wellness trend. With immense mental health benefits, the practice has growing global appeal.

From goat yoga to sound baths, the world is full of wellness trends designed to soothe and calm both body and spirit. Now, a self-care practice hailing from the Netherlands is promising practitioners serenity, and perhaps a smile or two.

Dubbed “koe knuffelen” in Dutch (literally “cow hugging”), the practice is centred on the inherent healing properties of a good human-to-animal snuggle. Cow cuddlers typically start by taking a tour of the farm before resting against one of the cows for two to three hours. The cow’s warmer body temperature, slower heartbeat and mammoth size can make hugging them an incredibly soothing experience, and giving the animal a backrub, reclining against them or even getting licked is all part of the therapeutic encounter.

Cow cuddling is believed to promote positivity and reduce stress by boosting oxytocin in humans, the hormone released in social bonding. The calming effects of curling up with a pet or emotional support animal, it seems, are accentuated when cuddling with larger mammals.

This wholesome pastime emerged in rural Dutch provinces more than a decade ago, and is now part of a wider Dutch movement to bring people closer to nature and country life. Today, farms in Rotterdam, Switzerland and even the United States are offering cow-hugging sessions and promoting the activity’s joy-inducing, stress-busting properties. ...

FULL STORY: http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20201008-is-cow-hugging-the-worlds-new-wellness-trend?

Back